The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #981  
Old 11-18-2018, 12:16 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodbridge, United States
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, but Meghan hasn't ever been built up, at least not by British tabloids. She's always been treated as the interloper. There's been no honeymoon period for her with the London Press.

They have always torn her down and have never built her up. If this is the honeymoon I would hate to see the marriage.


They try to demonize her for being a hard worker or writing a book without telling them.


She is going through her first pregnancy and they have done nothing but try to cause her undo tress over FAKE controversies and lies that they twist out of benign stories. Its time for the royal family to step in!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Yes, I couldnít believe they actually tried to push a negative spin on a woman wanting to work and exhibiting good work ethic. Iím not sure who they were trying to insult there. Meghan or the rest of the royal family. Besides, isnít work ethic what people have been complaining about regarding the younger generation of working royals? People should be estatic now.

And btw, I also found the way they made her sound to be extremely sexist when they talk about her willingness to work. When was the last time a man was dragged for working hard? I guess if we canít make her to be lazy, then letís make her sound like a bitch for working.



Did they honestly try to demonize a woman for having a solid work ethic? Perhaps they expected her to lay around all day and eat bon bons. If anything that explains why Charles likes her since he is also a hard worker. But those attributes in Charles are praised while the press criticizes Meghan for also having a work ethic.
__________________

  #982  
Old 11-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-Royals.html

Getting up at 5am, bombarding aides with texts and her eyebrow-raising fashion: Palace insiders reveal how Hurricane Meghan is shaking up the Royals six months after the wedding

> The House of Windsor welcomed Meghan Markle into the fold six months ago
> The new Duchess of Sussex has wasted no time in putting her stamp on The Firm
> She has proved to be less of a breath of fresh air and more of a whirlwind
What a load if trash. Where could i start?

Black only for memorials- should I post hundreds of links of young and older royals wearing black for day and evening events if all forms

Skirts that aren't below the knee? Again should we post the other royal ladies.

Foreign fashion designers? Sounding like a broken record.

The celebrities she is bringing into the Royal fold? The DM have short memories and forgot the multitude of celebrities at every Royal wedding. Or commonly at Royal events. Unlike some Royal wedding, where the celebrities were mainly people they may gave met a handful of times at charity events, Meghan has many personal friends and coworkers who are celebrities. And Harry had his own on the list as well.

Wow she sends six text messages a day. I can see how exhausting that must be Oretty sure that it us their job and they get paid very well to deal with the scheduling and ideas of the royals.

The Gloucesters are suddenly not wanting to move. The article sounding like Meghan seems to be behind the push. How is it for years the DM claims the Gloucrsters have offered to move out but are now suggesting it was never their idea. Makes Harry and Megan sound like they are trying to force an elderly couple out of their home.

Or now the drama she is causing with Kate. And the moving of offices is because of it. Or insinuating staff who had planned to leave before she she Harry were engaged like EFL are leaving due to her.

Only slightly nice thing is saying her and Charles are close. But then they take the negative swing that it's because they are both divorcees and from scandalous backgrounds.
__________________

  #983  
Old 11-18-2018, 12:35 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
She is going through her first pregnancy and they have done nothing but try to cause her undo tress over FAKE controversies and lies that they twist out of benign stories. Its time for the royal family to step in!!
What do you suggest the royal family does?

I personally don't think Meghan stesses about nonsense that is published about her (didn't she say that she doesn't even reac it). What she most likely did stress about was the situation with her father but while the media certainly exploited that situation the primary ones to blame would be her own family members.
  #984  
Old 11-18-2018, 12:43 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
What a load if trash. Where could i start?

Black only for memorials- should I post hundreds of links of young and older royals wearing black for day and evening events if all forms

Skirts that aren't below the knee? Again should we post the other royal ladies.

Foreign fashion designers? Sounding like a broken record.

The celebrities she is bringing into the Royal fold? The DM have short memories and forgot the multitude of celebrities at every Royal wedding. Or commonly at Royal events. Unlike some Royal wedding, where the celebrities were mainly people they may gave met a handful of times at charity events, Meghan has many personal friends and coworkers who are celebrities. And Harry had his own on the list as well.

Wow she sends six text messages a day. I can see how exhausting that must be Oretty sure that it us their job and they get paid very well to deal with the scheduling and ideas of the royals.

The Gloucesters are suddenly not wanting to move. The article sounding like Meghan seems to be behind the push. How is it for years the DM claims the Gloucrsters have offered to move out but are now suggesting it was never their idea. Makes Harry and Megan sound like they are trying to force an elderly couple out of their home.

Or now the drama she is causing with Kate. And the moving of offices is because of it. Or insinuating staff who had planned to leave before she she Harry were engaged like EFL are leaving due to her.

Only slightly nice thing is saying her and Charles are close. But then they take the negative swing that it's because they are both divorcees and from scandalous backgrounds.
This is a pattern they have all had to endure, like it or not. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory. Anne was one of the early ones to have to endure the press criticism, even though she as a princess of the blood. Her response, guided by her father, was to focus on what matters and let her work do the talking. The rest is history. Meghan will do well to follow that.

It is suggested that she is committed to her work, and has a strong work ethic. As long as she does that, within the constraints of her position in the RF, she will be fine. Along the way, she will have to work hard to be accepted by the British people. That will mean working away in unglamorous locations, on causes that really matter to the British people. Also, patronising foreign luxury brands when on official engagements will certainly not help.
  #985  
Old 11-18-2018, 12:58 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 2,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
This is a pattern they have all had to endure, like it or not. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory. Anne was one of the early ones to have to endure the press criticism, even though she as a princess of the blood. Her response, guided by her father, was to focus on what matters and let her work do the talking. The rest is history. Meghan will do well to follow that.

It is suggested that she is committed to her work, and has a strong work ethic. As long as she does that, within the constraints of her position in the RF, she will be fine. Along the way, she will have to work hard to be accepted by the British people. That will mean working away in unglamorous locations, on causes that really matter to the British people. Also, patronising foreign luxury brands when on official engagements will certainly not help.
Yes, Anne faced some really cruel commentary, and that was back when overall, the tabloids were a bit more restrained. It's easy to forget that, or, if one is too young to even know about it, but Anne worked very, very hard to be taken seriously. Many of us joke about her rewearing clothing that is 30+ years old, but I believe she does so in part because she just.does.not.care what the press says about her anymore, and she is thumbing her nose.

Both Camilla and Catherine are following the pattern Anne laid down in terms of work hard and ignore the rest, and Meghan seems to be doing the same, which is very wise of her. And yes, she is also being watched by the British public, and everything she does and how she comports herself will be judged. Welcome to the BRF, it happens to them all. Wait until the children are old enough to have to deal with the tabloids, and we'll see it all play out again.

Edited to add: And it is always disproportionately directed at the women, although Prince Charles might take issue with that after some of the things that have been written about him in the past.
  #986  
Old 11-18-2018, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,165
I shouldn't think Anne ever cared what the media said about her.... they have never really liked her much and in her young days, she was very much critiicsed.
  #987  
Old 11-18-2018, 01:16 PM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,614
The tabloids are using this line of attack on Meghan because the Markles are useless to them. They have nothing new. They rehash the old grievances and commenters are tired of it. Without fresh material the tabloids lose an audience (meaning money).
  #988  
Old 11-18-2018, 01:25 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 304
I would like to point out that referring to the dog whistling Daily Fail as the representation of the British public is incredibly amiss. They represent a very, very special part of the populace but by no means the majority.

How about we actually look the recent royal popularity report from within the UK:

Dislike Catherine: 9%
Dislike Meghan: 10%
__________

Meghan actually had a 55% 'Like' rate, while being complete new addition to the family family. The remaining 35% of the people were either 'Neutral' or 'Undecided'.

Meghan is by no means unpopular - the Fail and Sun are following their own agenda.

It also doesn't help the 'oh they did it to all' narrative, that they have elevated Catherine to a point where she might as well be up for sainthood and Meghan is always served up as the negative counter point. (from asinine articles about makeup(that wasn't even true) to how Catherine is now wearing the 'proper and beautiful' headbands to distance herself from frumpy Meghan)'Good' vs 'bad' - always was a popular story and it seem the tabloid media doesn't care how they are getting that narrative as long as it stands. It's not the least bit transparent that the sudden and drastic shift in tone occurred in Nov 2016.
  #989  
Old 11-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,537
I will say it again...the BIGGEST difference between Meghan and all the other British royal brides before her who were also older, foreign born, divorced, had their own professional career etc is that Meghan is BIRACIAL and her mother is BLACK!!!!! I do not underestimate that RACISM plays a part in the negative media narrative against Meghan. But the cowardly and hypocritical British press, especially the tabloids, aren't as racially blatant since Prince Harry issued that unprecedented statement in November 2016 so they are now using different tactics!
  #990  
Old 11-18-2018, 01:52 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
I will say it again...the BIGGEST difference between Meghan and all the other British royal brides before her who were also older, foreign born, divorced, had their own professional career etc is that Meghan is BIRACIAL and her mother is BLACK!!!!! I do not underestimate that RACISM plays a part in the negative media narrative against Meghan. But the cowardly and hypocritical British press, especially the tabloids, aren't as racially blatant since Prince Harry issued that unprecedented statement in November 2016 so they are now using different tactics!
You are obviously well within your right to hold that opinion, but that is not one I necessarily subscribe to.
  #991  
Old 11-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,537
Then let's agree to disagree! It is my opinion and I stand by it. You are as entitled to have your own opinion as I do mine.

There is a reason why Prince Harry felt the need to take the unprecedented step to issue that statement in November 2016. Not even Prince William, whose girlfriend and now wife Kate Middleton, felt the need to issue any statement about the media harassment of Kate in the almost 10 years that they dated. And why was that?

Prince Harry himself spoke about the racist undertones of media coverage against Meghan. Who can forget the Daily Mail's scurrilous headlines stating that Doria was 'Almost straight outta Compton and lived in a gang scarred neighbourhood' because of the false narrative that if you are black and live in the USA, you must be part of a gang!

If that was not racial profiling and bias then I don't know what it was!


End. Of.
  #992  
Old 11-18-2018, 02:12 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
I will say it again...the BIGGEST difference between Meghan and all the other British royal brides before her who were also older, foreign born, divorced, had their own professional career etc
I don't think anyone fits your description...

Princess Michael of Kent is probably closest fitting 2 out of 4 catagories (foreign born and dovorced) and she is criticized until today and unlike Meghan she doesn't seem to have a vocal fanbase - as she is married to the most minor prince among the queen's cousins, there is less interest in her.
  #993  
Old 11-18-2018, 02:25 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,537
I didn't mean to say that there was anyone else who by themselves fit that description like Meghan. There is a post up thread which identified other women who had married into the royal family who were also divorced (Camilla), had a professional career (Sophie) etc.

My point was that the biggest difference between Meghan and those women is the racial element.
  #994  
Old 11-18-2018, 02:28 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I don't think anyone fits your description...

Princess Michael of Kent is probably closest fitting 2 out of 4 catagories (foreign born and dovorced) and she is criticized until today and unlike Meghan she doesn't seem to have a vocal fanbase - as she is married to the most minor prince among the queen's cousins, there is less interest in her.
I think Princess Michael's personality plays a part. There's a reason she's called "Princess Pushy."
  #995  
Old 11-18-2018, 02:51 PM
PetticoatLane's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: A Small Town, United Kingdom
Posts: 631
The idea that Kate was somehow exempted from much tabloid criticism in the UK after she married could be the most incredible historical revisionism I've seen on this board.

Kate was and is criticised for almost everything she is/does/says, including after the wedding. Criticism was also heavy on this board. From her hair, to her make up, her too-short skirts, her boring shoes, her posture, her expressions, her public speaking, her work ethic, 'Waity Katie', her closeness with her own family, the way she gets in and out of cars - the list goes on and on. For all these things she has been attacked. Let's also not forget she was the victim of a terrible invasion of privacy when photos of her sunbathing topless were splashed all over the media and the internet, after she was married.

All this is before we consider the attacks on her family. Pippa alone was followed and photographed hundreds of times each and every day by paps for years. Kate's parents have been attacked as being money-grubbing exploiters of their daughter's fame and snobbish social climbers. Each and every career setback of Kate's brother is covered in detail in the tabloids.

Meghan will get a rough time from the tabloids but so does every other member of the BRF, including the Queen (remember The Sun publishing photos of a tiny Princess Elizabeth doing a 'Nazi salute' on its from page?) Meghan is simply going to have to learn to live it.
  #996  
Old 11-18-2018, 03:04 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 12,700
This is so true.

For those of us who have been around a long time...this is par for the course. Almost everyone who has married into the BRF has had this happen to them...especially if you marry a high profile royal. In the last 20 to 30 years (as it relates from Sophie, Camilla, Catherine and Meghan) I will say the only difference is in the medium. Back in the Diana and Fergie days they had to deal with the newspapers (which I believe were published at least twice a day...the Morning and Evening edition)....Sophie and Camilla had to deal with the newspapers and internet and Catherine and Meghan have to deal with the newspapers, the internet and social media. Remember when Catherine and William broke up? The articles were incredibly nasty to Catherine and her family. How about every time Party Pieces advertises their regular birthday specials...when both Charlotte and George were born they were accused of profiting off the birth cause they sold Prince and Princess plates and napkins...which is the norm in EVERY party store that I have been in . But the Middleton's were taking advantage of their grandchildren title's. OR when they sold items to be used in the Jubilee which I again I think would be the norm for any British party store.

I mean, if you read the comments in the Daily Fail or any other gossip site you will read some of the most outrageous things as it relates to Catherine and Meghan. Its' like someone puts something out there and people take it as the truth because its the Internet. Catherine is getting a pass now because of Meghan...the tabloids have a new person to target. But don't think Catherine didn't get it either....and it has nothing to do with race moreso her being an American and actress. Heck, they tried to demean Lady Frederick Windsor because she was/is an actress.

What is amazing about this DF article is how ridiculous it is. Is it a crime to get up at 5 AM now? And I seriously doubt Meghan is sending texts to the staff that early...maybe an email or two...but who doesn't do that? I have had managers in the past who sent emails way before and way after normal work hours...that just told me that they worked too much!

I also find it incredulous that if Meghan is such a reported diva....did this just happen in the last six months? Surely she must have been like that on the set of Suits.I am sure anyone who worked there was offered a pretty penny to let loose some secrets...and yet there are none. Personally I think the DF is working on its click bait revenue....they know there are people who will click on any article about Meghan to share their venom. They did the same with Catherine.
__________________
.

  #997  
Old 11-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,537
Who says that Meghan isn't dealing with it? She is doing just that by shutting out the noise, getting on with her marriage, work and looking forward to the birth of het first child.

It is us on social media that spend more time discussing this issue more than maybe the royals do.

As for the 5 AM starts...so what? Maybe Meghan is an early riser and does her yoga and meditation first thing in the morning. And we have to remember that as an actress she worked 16 - 18 hour days!
  #998  
Old 11-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 2,533
I agree with both Zonk and PetticoatLane. Several of us on this and other threads have said the same things over and over. Meghan is not facing a unique amount of tabloid nastiness. Being biracial gives the tabloids another thing to slam her for, but if she weren't biracial, it would be (and is) something else: her age, her accent, her romantic past, she's lazy, she's a workaholic, etc. She's just the latest victim. It was Catherine before her, and Camilla, Sophie and Sarah before that. None of the royals have been immune. None of them. If you ever have a few hours to spare, take a look back at the kinds of things that were being published in the 70's and 80's. Harry certainly knows all that history, and that is exactly why he has been, rightly, so protective. There is no way Meghan was going to get a pass on all that.
  #999  
Old 11-18-2018, 03:25 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
I will say it again...the BIGGEST difference between Meghan and all the other British royal brides before her who were also older, foreign born, divorced, had their own professional career etc
I don't think anyone fits your description...

_________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I don't think anyone fits your description...

Princess Michael of Kent is probably closest fitting 2 out of 4 catagories (foreign born and dovorced) and she is criticized until today and unlike Meghan she doesn't seem to have a vocal fanbase - as she is married to the most minor prince among the queen's cousins, there is less interest in her.

Anne and Camilla also fit 2 out of 4 categories – older than current spouse and divorced

One other thing, Sophie of Wessex was 35 years at the time of her marriage – I don’t remember anyone suggestion she’s too old to have children. In fact their children-to-be’s titles were announced when Edward was made Earl of Wessex on their wedding day. Sophie was 38 when Lady Louise was born.
  #1000  
Old 11-18-2018, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 4,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I agree with both Zonk and PetticoatLane. Several of us on this and other threads have said the same things over and over. Meghan is not facing a unique amount of tabloid nastiness. Being biracial gives the tabloids another thing to slam her for, but if she weren't biracial, it would be (and is) something else: her age, her accent, her romantic past, she's lazy, she's a workaholic, etc. She's just the latest victim. It was Catherine before her, and Camilla, Sophie and Sarah before that. None of the royals have been immune. None of them. If you ever have a few hours to spare, take a look back at the kinds of things that were being published in the 70's and 80's. Harry certainly knows all that history, and that is exactly why he has been, rightly, so protective. There is no way Meghan was going to get a pass on all that.
I agree as well. As Zonk pointed out the medium has changed since the 1970's but the speculation, gossip and rumors continue. I can't imagine what Lady Diana Spencer would have had to contend with if social media and the internet had existed in 1981. I'm sorry that Meghan is having to contend with this type of coverage, but in truth it is not out of the ordinary.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 2: December 2018 - February 2019 soapstar Current Events Archive 675 02-20-2019 05:26 PM




Popular Tags
aristocracy armenia armstrong-jones bangladesh belgian royal belgian royal family charles of wales chittagong crown prince hussein crown prince hussein's future wife cyprus danish royalty denmark diana princess of wales duchess of cambridge duchess of sussex dutch royal family dutch royals future games germany haakon vii hill history house of bernadotte house of grimaldi israel jumma kent king salman list of rulers lithuania lithuanian palaces mailing meghan markle monaco christening monarchist mountbatten naples netflix nobel prize norway history official visit pakistan popularity potential areas prince charles prince daniel princely family of monaco princess elizabeth princess margaret pronunciation queen maud queen paola rown royal children south korea spain spanish royal state visit state visit to denmark sweden swedish history thailand tracts united kingdom unsubscribe videos visit from sweden working royals; full-time royals; part-time royals;


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×