Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 1: May 2018 - December 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like showing affection like holding hands being seen as neediness or insecurity is very similar to people talking about their problems being seen as weak. I just don't understand it, I guess. Do coldness and distant define strength and power to some?

I honestly don’t believe that anyone expect them to be cold and distant, just not constantly physically affectionate. There has to be a happy medium.

As I said further up the thread, I hope Meghan and Harry dial it back a bit, but I've never thought they crossed over into "get a room" territory, and can't imagine they would. It was kind of cute at first, but I also think that they are working, and a little restraint would be nice. They aren't celebrities, they are working royals, and while the occasional pat or hand holding is very sweet and humanizing, when it's constant it has the effect of taking attention away from the events or causes that they are supposed to be representing. I suppose it could be a cultural or generational thing, as AlowVera points out, above.

Totally agree with this.

No, it makes them American political figures, which Harry and Meghan are not. I think that may be what this divide boils down to, as other posters have pointed out: the BRF operates in certain ways, and exuberant displays of affection between spouses while they are on public engagements has not been the norm, and so it is noticeable when Meghan and Harry appear to be in constant physical contact with each other. It's not bad, it's not terrible, it doesn't make them awful people, but it is something that catches your attention, and whether an observer thinks it is appropriate or not may depend on expectations, background and perspective. It's a legitimate thing to notice and have an opinion on, and a legitimate thing to have differing opinions on.

Exactly. I really think many of the differing opinions are due to our own personal backgrounds. While I’m roughly the same age as the Sussexes (35), I was raised in an environment where only a bit of handholding would be tolerated and only the smallest of occasional PDAs might not be remarked upon when it came to public and professional settings. Private settings where a different matter but in public we were expected to be dignified, calm, and not overly touchy feely. While no one would have negatively viewed a hand on the back or an occasional handhold, it definitely would be frowned upon to be constantly clinging to someone’s arm or constantly holding hands or resting hands on another’s knees or legs. Again, that’s in public and that’s different than private settings. I suspect this is quite different from the “California-type” lifestyle that Meghan was raised in.

I don't think this is specifically California, so let's not single them out like that. There are PLENTY of places where I'd say holding hands is not unusual. It's really up to the couple on whether or not they WANT to hold hands. Far less to do with location.

I feel like showing affection like holding hands being seen as neediness or insecurity is very similar to people talking about their problems being seen as weak. I just don't understand it, I guess. Do coldness and distant define strength and power to some?

BTW, why is Meghan being singled out here? Isn't Harry holding her hand as much as she is holding his? I do notice this is something often being used against women. Not just here.

That is another part of the narrative that says its only Meghan who holds hands why ignoring the times Harry has reach for her hand or the times he has massaged her back. It is part of the inherent sexism that exists in society when it comes to celebrity men.

BTW, why is Meghan being singled out here? Isn't Harry holding her hand as much as she is holding his? I do notice this is something often being used against women. Not just here.

Could you point out to me where Meghan is being singled out? I apologize if I missed it, but I'm really not remembering where this happened on this thread. If you are referencing the tabloid media, then I'm in complete agreement that that's a fearsome double standard.

Could you point out to me where Meghan is being singled out? I apologize if I missed it, but I'm really not remembering where this happened on this thread. If you are referencing the tabloid media, then I'm in complete agreement that that's a fearsome double standard.

Wyewale said it says neediness and insecurity (or something along those lines) and then goes on about how he's being assured by people here that it's not how Meghan is. So I'm assuming he was speaking of Meghan.

And yes, the tone is constant in the media world. I'm not even going to say tabloid world since it's not limited to there. Legitimate media outlets have had the same tone at times. Maybe not as obvious, but it's certainly there. Where it's always Meghan that's clinging to Harry nevermind the fact that Harry often reaches out to hold her hand. I believe we discussed this during the tour discussions as well.

Last edited:
Wyewale said it says neediness and insecurity (or something along those lines) and then goes on about how he's being assured by people here that it's not how Meghan is.

Ah, I see. For what it's worth, I didn't read his comment that way.

Hard to believe there are very many people unwilling to cut a break for a newly wed pair expecting a baby... and the mother-to-be is a ‘stranger in a strange land’, married into a firm as well as into a family...thousands of miles from her mother, and from all her old friends...constantly under surveillance when in public...at a stage of life (pregnancy) during which your hormones swing your emotions from tears to elation and back again...and some people pretend to be offended by a little handholding and back patting! I’m sorry for the lack of empathy expressed by those people—it’s kinda sad. Perhaps Prince George can eventually marry a robot.
IMO

I just prefer that Harry and Meghan feel free to just be themselves. They're not marionettes on a string dancing to anyone's tune but their own. They're a wonderful couple together and that is really all that matters in the long run.

I just prefer that Harry and Meghan feel free to just be themselves. They're not marionettes on a string dancing to anyone's tune but their own. They're a wonderful couple together and that is really all that matters in the long run.

Pretty much this as the bottom line for me.

And so it continues. Now it's a 'dictatorial bride' wanting to 'freshen up' the smell inside St George's Chapel. Again from the DM, and it seems that at least one of these leakers about Meghan behaviour as a bride to be comes from the staff at BP. And on this occasion I really don't believe the Fail is making it up.

(Incidentally, a lot of old buildings in Britain feel slightly musty, something the majority of people who've grown up with it don't even notice. However, most people who come from elsewhere would perhaps find things a bit smelly.)

Was it really necessary for someone from BP, perhaps from the Lord Chamberlain's department itself, to impart this anecdote to the Fail months later, in order to reinforce the 'ignorant American bridezilla' narrative the tabloids seem to want to harp on?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...d-air-fresheners-musty-St-Georges-Chapel.html

It’s hard to believe that this world has become so void of compassion that a husband and wife holding hands is seen as a bad thing & needy. Thankfully the Sussexes are not afraid to be themselves & that is appreciated by some of us who understand a simple display of kindness.

And so it continues. Now it's a 'dictatorial bride' wanting to 'freshen up' the smell inside St George's Chapel. Again from the DM, and it seems that at least one of these leakers about Meghan behaviour as a bride to be comes from the staff at BP. And on this occasion I really don't believe the Fail is making it up.

(Incidentally, a lot of old buildings in Britain feel slightly musty, something the majority of people who've grown up with it don't even notice. However, most people who come from elsewhere would perhaps find things a bit smelly.)

Was it really necessary for someone from BP, perhaps from the Lord Chamberlain's department itself, to impart this anecdote to the Fail months later, in order to reinforce the 'ignorant American bridezilla' narrative the tabloids seem to want to harp on?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...d-air-fresheners-musty-St-Georges-Chapel.html

I find this story really strange, on the morning of the wedding a reporter who had been in the chapel commented on the wonderful scent coming from the hundreds of fresh flowers inside. Why would meghan ask for air fresheners after arranging for hundreds of scented flowers. More fluff and nonsense.

The repetition of the "what Meghan wants, Meghan gets" quote is so divisive and damaging.

There were a lot of wedding guests that commented about the scent of the flowers in St George’s. James Cordon also mentioned it on his show.

I don’t read or believe anything that comes from the Daily Mail. I see their headlines & excerpts which constantly has false information and that alone is too much. The amount of foolish articles the tabloids, especially Daily Mail publishes about Meghan is ridiculous.

Can I put in my two penneth about PDAs and royals here? I agree with those who think that if being tactile is natural to you then it's natural. If holding hands and rubbing backs helps during a Royal engagement then that is the way to go.
I've followed Harry for a very long time, and he has never been one to hide his feelings about those he loves, and Meghan is also tactile.

I think that it's often forgotten that Meghan has lived in England for just one year. She began Royal engagements (and quite a few of them) when she was newly engaged and didn't know what to expect. (And even then some of the Press was hostile. Hello Jan Moir!)

Meghan gave up everything in her former life because she fell in love. She was enthusiastic and very eager on those early engagements, and although people who met her were impressed she also received plenty of criticism. Just think. You go out nervous, but brimming with enthusiasm and anxious to do your best, and what you get back are criticisms about rubbing your fiance's back and some of your facial expressions!

I think these two gave each other comfort in those early engagements. Sometimes their hand holding was so tight their hands were white, a sign of tension in my book. Meghan was understandably nervous and I think Harry was anxious for her. And don't let's forget that white envelopes were sent to KP at one stage and who knows what other threats from crazies there were.

On very formal occasions they do not usually hold hands any more and it may lessen in the years to come. I remember reading that on one tree planting occasion in NSW Charles hoisted Diana over his shoulder and jokingly ran off with her. I think people too often forget that these are human beings we are talking about here.

I closely followed the tour in Australia and was one of the large crowds of Aussies who saw Harry and Meghan in Melbourne. Not one of the people I heard in that crowd felt that this couple were OTT in their hand holding or loving looks. I heard nothing but praise of how great they were together.

Last edited:
Yeah California has nothing to do with the 'pda' being shown..I live in the conservative midwest and the Sussexes aren't doing anything you wouldn't see here.

LaRae

This is a stupid article. It sounds like maybe KP suggested using the spray devices as an air freshener and BP said no because they could and that was that.
It doesn't suggest bridezilla behavior to me. And I agree with another poster, it would seem the quantity of flowers planned for the venue would offer enough fragrance to offset any mustiness.

Last edited:
Ok, I’m not even going down the road of if it’s true or not. But let’s just give DM the benefit of the doubt and say it’s true. There is nothing “dictatorial” about a groom or a bride having an idea and asking if it’s possible, and then accepting that the idea is not going to work out. It’s called wedding planning. It happens at every wedding. It doesn’t make anyone a bridezilla.

Honestly, given that the Sussex wedding is about as pared back as you could expect, I can’t see how Harry or Meghan would be gossiped about as difficult or demanding or high strung. Given that they didn’t meet Bishop Curry and Meghan didn’t see her wedding veil until either the day before or the day of the wedding, I’d think they are probably the most laid back couple I’ve had to deal with.

Last edited:
Ok, I’m not even going down the road of if it’s true or not. But let’s just give DM the benefit of the doubt and say it’s true. There is nothing “dictatorial” about a groom or a bride having an idea and asking if it’s possible, and then accepting that the idea is not going to work out. It’s called wedding planning. It happens at every wedding. It doesn’t make anyone a bridezilla.

Honestly, given that the Sussex wedding is about as pared back as you could expect, I can’t see how Harry or Meghan would be gossiped about as difficult or demanding or high strung. Given that they didn’t meet Bishop Curry and Meghan didn’t see her wedding veil until either the day before or the day of the wedding, I’d think they are probably the most laid back couple I’ve had to deal with.

Given the fact that people claim that the gown did not fit, all the rumors about Meghan being at the fitting of a child does not make any sense.

The British Royal Family received a great bump in good will and popularity because of the wedding. In their zeal to put Meghan in her place they should remember that when you shovel manure EVERYBODY gets the stench. The stories, the rumors while the target is only ONE person it makes the whole institution look weak, petty, insecure and down right awful.

Why would the palace courtiers start a smear campaign during the Holidays. It creates an undertone and narrative of a family at war while last year and during the wedding we saw a family pull together.

When they fight against each other they open the doors to the press to create the narrative.

Circle the WAGONS or everyone gets shot.

Buckingham Palace have denied a Dan Wooton/Mirror story about supposed Kate and Meghan scrap.

https://www.elle.com/culture/celebr...-kate-middleton-meghan-markle-argument-story/

So now supposedly BP has a statement but not KP?

The smear campaign against Duchess Meghan is vulgar & disgusting! Especially that it is against a new member of the royal family who has shown such enthusiasm for her new role & brought positive attention to the BRF. As a longtime Monarchist I’ve seen a lot, however this treatment of the pregnant Duchess Meghan is appalling!

I agree with AlowVera, it makes the institution look awful!

Not that it will make any difference to the BRF, but I’ll be closing my account with the Royal Collection Shop. Purchasing further royal gifts is a turn off when a pregnant woman is being needlessly attacked.

William and Harry have muddle through all this time, each totally aware of what annoys them about each other but so what? Who cares, not them. So I am sure there is someone on staff there with an axe to grind. They either don't see the problems they are bringing to the entire BRF generally or the stress they are visiting on H & M and W & C particularly.

It is easy to see that the office dynamics of KP could be in a state. Catherine has been on Maternity Leave and someone's feelings are hurt or more likely got their nose out of joint because Meghan writes her own speeches and doesn't need someone to do it for her. If they didn't research and draft it I would bet they vetted it just for a second opinion. But just think, staffers have been crafting and finessing speeches made by all W, C and H and along comes Meghan and she doesn't "need" them.

Would that lead to a feeling of discontent? A concern about their future or resentment that some newbie thinks they know everything. Do they moan to William about Harry's wife, and William's stuck in the middle . . . do I tell Harry and upset him or don't tell him and let the discontent grow.

Many a split in friendship and even family has been the result of things not said rather than open disagreements. But it seems that unscrupulous mole is having a great time manipulating the brothers and their wives drip-feeding acid with just enough believability to get people hooked.

Actually, I am beginning to think that Palace staffers are just like those Civil Servants found in the TV series "Yes Minister", and would recommend the very first episode on Netflix or such. It is Machiavellian, diabolical and probably contains more truth than we would ever like to admit. Hmm, I feel episode three calling.

If there were some disgruntled staff upset that Meghan is more than capable of writing her own speeches, then one would think they’d be happy. They get paid regardless of how much work they do, so then really shouldn’t have any complaints.

Royal reporters frequently point out the Sussexes are irrelevant, so you’d think staff & media wouldn’t really care about them or have any interest in what they’re doing. There’s rumours that media are upset because they don’t get leaks or any info about the Sussexes. Again, why would media care about an irrelevant couple?

So now supposedly BP has a statement but not KP?

The smear campaign against Duchess Meghan is vulgar & disgusting! Especially that it is against a new member of the royal family who has shown such enthusiasm for her new role & brought positive attention to the BRF. As a longtime Monarchist I’ve seen a lot, however this treatment of the pregnant Duchess Meghan is appalling!

I agree with AlowVera, it makes the institution look awful!

Not that it will make any difference to the BRF, but I’ll be closing my account with the Royal Collection Shop. Purchasing further royal gifts is a turn off when a pregnant woman is being needlessly attacked.

Not only is it a deliberate smear campaign, it is a gaslighting campaign.

The Royal Reporters put out one version of the story and then later condense the story to a version that supports their diva narrative of Meghan.

The original Tiara story was that meghan was given a choice, she chose the emerald tiara, then the palace could not confirm the origin or the tiara?? so they asked her to pick another tiara instead. That was changed to just Meghan demaned an emerald tiara.

Another story that was changed is the wake up at 5 am, and she also sends 6-7 EMAILS. This has morphed into she wakes up at 5am and then at 5am she TEXTS the staff.

Even if I hate someone, I want the TRUTH so I can hate the person even more, but even when the rumors are about people I hate I look at the story with a critical eye. The fact that the RR's are changing the story to make Meghan look bad makes me question this whole campaign.

This whole thing is INSIDIOUS!! if only they went after politicians who have the ability to TANK an economy instead of the wife of the sixth in line!

Buckingham Palace have denied a Dan Wooton/Mirror story about supposed Kate and Meghan scrap.

https://www.elle.com/culture/celebr...-kate-middleton-meghan-markle-argument-story/

Well they should of denied that story when it was first release but Dan just changed the story around to put the focus on Kate. So BP denies this story but remains silent when the same story was released that started this whole mess.

Like I said if you allow your staff to throw manure at the most vulnerable then that manure is going to eventually taint everyone else.

BTW here is the ORIGINAL story about the Wedding being scented with CANDLES not glade air freshener: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/beauty/...ng-duke-duchess-sussex-used-47-tuberose-rose/

According to the article Will and Kate's wedding was also scented with Jo Malone candles.

So another story debunked!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom