Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 3: February - May 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm tired of all these 'royal experts' trying to warn the Sussexes of every little thing under the sun. A whole lot of people need to back-up and relax. The Sussexes are being examined with a microscope 24/7, and so many people want to be all up in their business. Why can't people just be happy for them?

The negativity directed at the Duchess of Sussex throughout her pregnancy was beyond the bounds. Meghan weathered that with such grace and calm, largely without reading any of the OTT nonsense. She is focused on taking care of her life and the many projects and humanitarian endeavors in front of her. And now, as a new mother, she will be leading a very busy life. But I think Meghan thrives with having a lot on her plate.

I truly admire Meghan for her courage in even walking into this family. Sure, there are a lot of perks (and she and Harry are deeply in love) but the royal lifestyle and prestige also comes with a huge price, involving overdone scrutiny and outrageous criticism. For Meghan, the criticism has been practically nonstop! And it definitely needs to STOP!

Meghan should instead be praised for the way she has handled everything that has come her way over the past three years with such courage, aplomb and dedication. She has accomplished a great deal, while managing numerous life changes that can be very daunting, particularly with all of the public scrutiny and the extreme nonsense that has been written about her.

I thank Meghan and Harry for sharing as much as they have with us of their private joy. And I pray people will have the human decency to back-off. A return to constant criticism and poking serves no one well. The Sussexes do not deserve this petty negativity. They are human and they have a right to make their own choices regarding setting private boundaries and making choices that spread positive information about positive people. This overdone scrutiny is surely a big reason why the Sussexes have maintained a cautionary boundary around their private lives.

The way the Daily Fail previously scrutinized Meghan's former website, The Tig, is a huge reason why she shut it down. And there were a lot of very enlightening and informative articles on that website regarding living a healthy and a happy life. Fortunately, some of those features are being brought back periodically on the Meghan's Mirror site. Here's an example:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160714223454/http://thetig.com/6-daily-poses-rejuvenation/

It's petty to attack either of the Sussexes for seeking to promote other venues and endeavors (both charitable and commercial), being offered by people who are intent upon using their expertise to give back in a positive way. Taking care of one's physical health and well-being is a key component of managing good mental health. I personally see nothing wrong with the Sussexes highlighting websites that provide healthful services for people from all walks of life. The Sussexes have followers from all walks of life.

I think it's instructive to realize that being positive and associating oneself with positive people who have something worthwhile to contribute to the world is a good thing, not a bad thing. The negative people who trolled the accounts and websites posted by the Sussexes clearly only had a nasty, negative intent in mind. Meanwhile, the Sussexes offered this information for positive purposes -- to benefit people who are looking to improve their mental and physical well-being.

It's the negative instigators and woeful Sussex criticizers who should be ashamed of themselves for searching so hard to find something to criticize via trolling the Sussexes' Instagram account, and then digging into the background of one of the individuals whose website was cited, in order to portray that person in a negative fashion. How petty and low will portions of the media continue to stoop?

I completely disagree with Penny Junor's comments. I've personally learned a lot from the Duchess of Sussex through the way she's carried herself in life, and through all the good and helpful information she has shared both before and after she became a member of the British royal family.

The difference is she is now a member of the British Royal family. They do not endorse products. I accept if Kate or Meghan wear an outfit by a particular brand that is a form of endorsement. The concern is that Meghan is promoting her friends business under the guise of mental health week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the owner of Anxiety UK a personal friend of one of the Sussexes? I think that's the issue, and that goes for any of the royals. They cannot be perceived to be shilling for a personal friend. It's not the fact that services are being sold, or that the services might be good ones, it's the close personal connection that's the issue. It doesn't matter who the royal is, it applies to all.

But isn’t that done with their fashion? They’ve either been friends with the designer/owner before or become friends through working with them. And people seem to have little problem with that. But when it comes to highlighting for mental health/fitness related things.

The difference is she is now a member of the British Royal family. They do not endorse products. I accept if Kate or Meghan wear an outfit by a particular brand that is a form of endorsement. The concern is that Meghan is promoting her friends business under the guise of mental health week.

Under the guise of mental health week? Seriously? What led you to believe that their desire to highlight mental health week isn’t real? Honestly, if she just wanted to plug her friends’ business, she has a lot easier ways.

But isn’t that done with their fashion? They’ve either been friends with the designer/owner before or become friends through working with them. And people seem to have little problem with that. But when it comes to highlighting for mental health/fitness related things.

If any royal was tagging a fashion designer who was a personal friend in their Instagram I'd say exactly the same thing. It crosses a line, and it's a line that is there for a reason. There's a difference between wearing clothes from a designer, and promoting that designer on an official royal social media platform. That's something a celebrity does, not a member of the BRF.

It's more like people in some quarters are negatively criticizing the Sussexes for negative reasons, under the guise of hypocritical 'concern' and faux high-mindedness.

Again, there is clear negative intent to troll, and then to dig into the background of persons involved in all of the various websites and initiatives, in order to find something to criticize. This is OTT criticism. If the Queen and BP are okay with the Sussexes' efforts to highlight these groups and ventures, why are journalists who make their living on the existence of the royals, whining and heavily criticizing Meghan in particular, along with attempting to shame one of her friends who is engaged in a healthful line of business? I would think Meghan has significant input on the Instagram posts, while also being assisted by Sussex staff, under the aegis of BP officials.

In terms of looking down on the idea of people benefiting via association with the Sussexes, let's take a closer look. The fact is, Harry marrying Meghan has brought renewed and expansive, largely positive interest to the British royals, and to British history, culture, and architectural landmarks. The British economy and a number of British manufacturers, designers, and companies have benefited financially to a hugely significant degree. Tourism revenue in Britain has continued to increase since the royal wedding last May, and since the announcement of M&H's pregnancy (particularly in Windsor). With the arrival of the Sussexes' son, Archie, six days ago, the total number of followers on the Sussexes' Instagram account has increased from about 5.4 million to 7.6 million.

Royal journalists' profiles and job opportunities have expanded. Quite a number of royal journalists have made money off of new books about the Meghan/Harry romance and royal wedding. Every outfit and accessory Meghan wears ends up helping to benefit, both financially and in terms of prestigious exposure, associated designers and product manufacturers. Moreover, so many charitable organizations highlighted by the Sussexes have benefited via public exposure and huge donations. Most recently the #GlobalSussexBabyShower donations initiative, celebrating Archie's anticipated arrival, made an enormous impact. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:
If any royal was tagging a fashion designer who was a personal friend in their Instagram I'd say exactly the same thing. It crosses a line, and it's a line that is there for a reason. There's a difference between wearing clothes from a designer, and promoting that designer on an official royal social media platform. That's something a celebrity does, not a member of the BRF.

Thank you ... You get the difference.

But isn’t that done with their fashion?

Ladies of the BRF do not ever directly promote specific fashion bands. They may wear them, but they ought not to plug specific brands.

They’ve either been friends with the designer/owner before or become friends through working with them. And people seem to have little problem with that.

So to illustrate your argument, should Catherine stop wearing McQueen now that she has gotten to know Sarah Burton well?

Under the guise of mental health week? Seriously? What led you to believe that their desire to highlight mental health week isn’t real? Honestly, if she just wanted to plug her friends’ business, she has a lot easier ways.

I don't believe the poster was suggesting, in any way, that "their desire to highlight mental health week isn’t real".

It's more like people in some quarters are negatively criticizing the Sussexes for negative reasons, under the guise of hypocritical 'concern' and faux high-mindedness.

Again, there is clear negative intent to troll, and then to dig into the background of persons involved in all of the various websites and initiatives, in order to find something to criticize. This is OTT criticism. If the Queen and BP are okay with the Sussexes' efforts to highlight these groups and ventures, why are journalists who make their living on the existence of the royals, whining and heavily criticizing Meghan in particular, along with attempting to shame one of her friends who is engaged in a healthful line of business? I would think Meghan has significant input on the Instagram posts, while also being assisted by Sussex staff, under the aegis of BP officials.

In terms of looking down on the idea of people benefiting via association with the Sussexes, let's take a closer look. The fact is, Harry marrying Meghan has brought renewed and expansive, largely positive interest to the British royals, and to British history, culture, and architectural landmarks. The British economy and a number of British manufacturers, designers, and companies have benefited financially to a hugely significant degree. Tourism revenue in Britain has continued to increase since the royal wedding last May, and since the announcement of M&H's pregnancy (particularly in Windsor). With the arrival of the Sussexes' son, Archie, six days ago, the total number of followers on the Sussexes' Instagram account has increased from about 5.4 million to 7.6 million.

Royal journalists' profiles and job opportunities have expanded. Quite a number of royal journalists have made money off of new books about the Meghan/Harry romance and royal wedding. Every outfit and accessory Meghan wears ends up helping to benefit, both financially and in terms of prestigious exposure, associated designers and product manufacturers. Moreover, so many charitable organizations highlighted by the Sussexes have benefited via public exposure and huge donations. Most recently the #GlobalSussexBabyShower donations initiative, celebrating Archie's anticipated arrival, made an enormous impact. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

The royal family have been there for 1000 years, and there is no doubt every time a new person joins the family there is a renewed interest, also what they wear creates interest. I am afraid you are missing the point in what I am saying also the opinions of the royal experts that you do not care for. The royal family do not endorse products, Meghan has used a promotion for mental health week to promote her friends business interest, and not a product that would be readily available to the ordinary person.
The royal family are not celebrities, they associate with them usually for charity purposes but they are not celebrities.

Every outfit and accessory Meghan wears ends up helping to benefit, both financially and in terms of prestigious exposure, associated designers and product manufacturers.

I think you are right in highlighting that anything worn by royal ladies, including Meghan, does attract a lot of attention from the Press, and businesses can and do benefit from the enhanced exposure they receive. In the case of Meghan, a number of foreign fashion labels have benefited, whilst a few British ones have as well. This is precisely the point I have made on many an occassion that if she wore a lot more British, a lot more British businesses could benefit from the attention she would bring to them.

I don't believe the poster was suggesting, in any way, that "their desire to highlight mental health week isn’t real".

Under the guise of means whatever guise it’s under is not real.

Nobody who is a working royal should promote a business owned by a friend or relative. H&M should only be tagging free resources or charities.

Under the guise of means whatever guise it’s under is not real.

I should probably have phrased it as under the umbrella of mental health week,

I apologise for my incorrect use of a word but you are now turning the story into my incorrect use of words rather than the fact that Meghan has used royal instagram page to promote her personal friends business while promoting mental health week.

I do not doubt Harrys intentions regarding supporting people with mental health issues in particular military veterans.

Nobody who is a working royal should promote a business owned by a friend or relative. H&M should only be tagging free resources or charities.

Quite right, and that is how it has traditionally been done.

I think they should delete that Instagram post to shut down the story & show they understand the rules.

I think they should delete that Instagram post to shut down the story & show they understand the rules.

Perhaps it is another sign of the inexperience and dare I say, incompetence, of the Sussex office. I know H&M have a lot on their plate with the new baby, but I hope Harry takes charge of his team soon, so that this ineptitude ends.

Reactions: Fem
Perhaps it is another sign of the inexperience and dare I say, incompetence, of the Sussex office. I know H&M have a lot on their plate with the new baby, but I hope Harry takes charge of his team soon, so that this ineptitude ends.

Their team is hardly inexperienced or inept. When I think back to royal family blunders, their team isn’t it. Sara Latham has done a lot of good work in terms of messaging and addressing certain things in her short time there. Unfortunately, I fear that the British media’s personal vendetta will be one strong current she’ll have to swim against in her position.

Ladies of the BRF do not ever directly promote specific fashion bands. They may wear them, but they ought not to plug specific brands.

So to illustrate your argument, should Catherine stop wearing McQueen now that she has gotten to know Sarah Burton well?

Even when Kate wears high street fashion it flies of the shelves. They need to wear clothes, but they do not endorse them on instagram feeds.

Their team is hardly inexperienced or inept. When I think back to royal family blunders, their team isn’t it. Sara Latham has done a lot of good work in terms of messaging and addressing certain things in her short time there. Unfortunately, I fear that the British media’s personal vendetta will be one strong current she’ll have to swim against in her position.

Not quite, IMO. In the last month or so, there are 3 times when a more experienced operator would have dealt with matters differently from the way they have been. This continued incompetence only adds to the negativity and mistrust towards this couple at a time when it is unnecessary.

I think their PR chief needs to get to grips with protocols. Harry might also be unaware of the pitfalls of BRF social media so both he & Meghan might need a crash course before they make any other gaffes, either on social media or anywhere else.

Reactions: Fem
Not quite, IMO. In the last month or so, there are 3 times when a more experienced operator would have dealt with matters differently from the way they have been. This continued incompetence only adds to the negativity and mistrust towards this couple at a time when it is unnecessary.

Just because it’s a different way, and people are whining because the media feels useless, doesn’t mean they are incompetent. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, negativity and mistrust seems to been there from when we first found out they are dating, and it wasn’t because of the comms team. When certain parts of the media decide it’s ok to use their proverbial pen to settle vendettas because they aren’t given all the goodies, it reaches a new low.

That's how it *should* be done but it's also a "tradition" for some members of the family to do this as well, some get caught out some don't. They probably should edit the post whether they meant it as a favour or not. Ironically the site and its products/retreats now has a hell of a lot more publicity, even more than before.

Yeah, I completely agree.

Oh wow. I can't even believe this actually happened, like... Every intern should know that this kind of thing is simply not acceptable and this had to probably go through several people. How can one miss it? They should be used to by now to the fact that everything concerning BRF is picked apart and put under the microscope. It's either stupidity, ignorance or brassiness. And I can't really decide which one is worse.

The DM article about The Class was intentionally misleading in that on first read of the title it makes it seem like SussexRoyal WAS promoting the 3k retreat on its page when the reality is you have to go a search it out on the website and the Sussex IG was NOT promoting it.

BUT, I have BIG issues with them promoting something like The Class anyway on their IG. The idea of following various orgs and individuals doing work to highlight various causes is amazing and I love it. And I love many of the orgs they followed, especially Black Mental Health Matters (a major critique I have head of HT was the lack of intersectionality).

However The Class is an extremely expensive and desperately niche yoga studio and brand. One of the biggest issues with yoga is how it has been usurped by non-POC and become increasingly out of range cost wise and culturally for low-income folks and POC. There are, however, many programs and studios now in the UK and US that are set up to address these disparities.

Instead of highlighting an overpriced, exclusive and inaccessible business like The Class, they should have highlighted a yoga program that is aimed at broadening access.

Also, I've attended a yoga lesson with Taryn with a friend who likes The Class and it was insufferable. And let me tell you as a big fan of yoga, my ability to deal with over the top yoga classes is fairly advanced...

Last edited:
I think their PR chief needs to get to grips with protocols. Harry might also be unaware of the pitfalls of BRF social media so both he & Meghan might need a crash course before they make any other gaffes, either on social media or anywhere else.

That is a good point, the protocols. That is what a number of people are not fully grasping. It is not a vendetta against Meghan or her team, we want her to succeed, but the problems appear to be arising due to a lack of understanding of the protocol of the BRF>

That's how it *should* be done but it's also a "tradition" for some members of the family to do this as well, some get caught out some don't. They probably should edit the post whether they meant it as a favour or not. Ironically the site and its products/retreats now has a hell of a lot more publicity, even more than before.

very true, maybe that was the idea.... even if it was removed today, they have the publicity.

I do think that Team Sussex needs to get fully in line and together. I confess myself confused that they prioritized getting a Comms Sec over a Private Secretary. I am not sure I think that was wise.

Sara Latham is extremely capable and talented and has worked at the highest levels in the US and the UK, so I am willing to bet things will smooth out on the comms front soon with her leading it. But you need someone steering the ship overall. I hope they get that someone in a qualified Private Sec post-haste.

Yeah, I completely agree.

Oh wow. I can't even believe this actually happened, like... Every intern should know that this kind of thing is simply not acceptable and this had to probably go through several people. How can one miss it? They should be used to by now to the fact that everything concerning BRF is picked apart and put under the microscope. It's either stupidity, ignorance or brassiness. And I can't really decide which one is worse.

Members of the BRF have been involved in Fake Sheikh, cash for access, Peter Phillips Diamond Jubilee firm scandals and many more on this issue. It's something they should be very wary of but it's not surprising it happened either deliberately or oversight. it's not a specific Social media problem. And as I said there have also been times when it's happened and no one has cared in the slightest.

Just because it’s a different way, and people are whining because the media feels useless, doesn’t mean they are incompetent.

Different certainly, but plainly wrong in the way they have mishandled things.

I don't see any particular problem associated with one of the highlighted websites being owned by a friend of Meghan's. I see the inclusion as a genuine appreciation for the healthful benefits and positive expertise that the friend's business offers. Meghan has worn clothing from the lines of some designers who also happen to be her friends, including Victoria Beckham, Misha Nonoo, Serena Williams, Jason Wu, and Roland Mouret.

Many royals have relationships with VIPs who financially benefit from association with royalty. In turn, the royals often benefit from the largesse of their wealthy friends. This has been going on I'm quite sure for as long as royalty has been in existence.

Members of the BRF have been involved in Fake Sheikh, cash for access, Peter Phillips Diamond Jubilee firm scandals and many more on this issue. It's something they should be very wary of but it's not surprising it happened either deliberately or oversight. it's not a specific Social media problem. And as I said there have also been times when it's happened and no one has cared in the slightest.

I care enormously & I'm a monarchist & supporter of H&M. I'm not alone & there are many British people who loathe the idea of publicly funded figures (royal or political) misusing their position to promote commercial enterprises. They need to be squeaky clean & I really hope H&M receive strong & consistent advice on this.

I don't see any particular problem associated with one of the highlighted websites being owned by a friend of Meghan's. I see the inclusion as a genuine appreciation for the healthful benefits and positive expertise that the friend's business offers. Meghan has worn clothing from the lines of some designers who also happen to be her friends, including Victoria Beckham, Misha Nonoo, Serena Williams, Jason Wu, and Roland Mouret.

The fact that you don't see the problem doesn't mean that it isn't a problem. Working royals are not permitted to promote businesses so they have to be very careful about what they do & say. If KP posted a link to Kate's parents' business, even indirectly re: a charity they were supporting, all hell would break loose.

This is one of the reasons Zara is glad she isn't a working royal because she's free to pursue commercial sponsorship to fund her sport. She can tag who she likes & promote any business because she isn't publicly funded.

Of course royals wear clothes - they have to & as long as they aren't promoting the designer outside of wearing their clothes, it's accepted although it's expected that working royals support the British fashion industry & wouldn't wear the labels of a friend more than any other designer. That would attract justified criticism.

Not quite, IMO. In the last month or so, there are 3 times when a more experienced operator would have dealt with matters differently from the way they have been.

May I ask who these three occasions are?
I try to stay away from the Sussex forums for the sake of my own sanity but I'm very interested in the way BP, CH & KP works behind the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom