Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 3: February - May 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there may come a time in the future where communication between Meghan and her father is reestablished but it will be done privately and not make any front pages on any tabloid or media sites. In fact, I would wager that even Samantha will not be aware of it.

Too much has happened to expect Meghan to bring Tom Sr. into the fold in the UK grandchild or no grandchild. Meghan knows how seriously the British royal family takes their security and their privacy and with being part of that, she will probably realize that this is the way things need to be.

With Grandpa in Rosario, Mexico, there may be photo swapping and perhaps video chatting so Grandpa can see his grandchild on a secure connection and as Tom seems relatively OK with living in Mexico away from *all* his kids and grandkids, this could be a happy resolution.

We'll see what what happens but then again, maybe we won't. :D

I don't think it would be wise for Meghan to reconcile with Samantha. If she and her father were to be invited over to England for the christening of Baby Sussex and Sam were to see any of the royals or the inside of any of the Palaces she would IMO be making hay out of this for eternity. And she is likely to turn at any moment, however she has been treated and start spitting venom again.

Thomas is a bit different. I do think he has been influenced by Sam to do things he wouldn't normally have done. If he sees Harry and Meghan and gets a handle on things I believe he could and would keep quiet for good. He does at least have some genuine affection for Meghan.

Does he have genuine affection? I am being serious. I am of the mindset he is not being manipulated by Samantha. I think this has always been Thomas Sr. It has become clear that his relationship with Meghan has been a bit strained for a few years. Cue #1 is the fact Harry never met him yet he clearly had a relationship with Doria and her close friends. That says it all.

Thomas is her father and didn't think twice of bad mouthing her and Doria to the press and has exploited her numerous time. That was 100% his decision. He knew she didn't want him and he said he "had to became it had to fix his image" so it was all about his ego.

Meghan is wise to keep her distance. It is no longer just about her but about her child. That baby does not need that drama.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Meghan mentioned that she reads The Economist ... she might read The Nation and perhaps The Atlantic Monthly (maybe Mother Jones, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and perhaps Ms magazine which is about feminism).

... Meghan likely used to read industry publications like The Hollywood Reporter, Entertainment Weekly, Vanity Fair, Time, and Newsweek. I would bet she still reads parts of ... Glamour, Vogue and/or British Vogue, British Elle, Women's Wear Daily, et al. And since she's highly intelligent, there are surely a variety of other highbrow publications and/or academic journals that Meghan reads, in addition to philanthropic literature. In addition to her September 2017 Vanity Fair cover story, Meghan was also featured in Men's Health, Best Health Canada, Miami Living, Glamour, and Chicago's lifestyle magazine, Splash... (and) on the cover of travel magazine, Jumeirah, in the pages of a hairstyling magazine for Wella Professional products, and she modeled for the Australian online magazine, Gritty Pretty. Maybe she reads Yoga Journal.

... significant other clues to books Meghan has read ... were featured in Instagram posts ... or were mentioned on her Tig lifestyle website...

Meghan's Mirror is an excellent site ... It's not just a fashion blog ... Here's a link to a feature on Meghan's Reading List (as Curryong also noted), which provides a significant list of books Meghan displayed in her home: What's on Meghan Markle's Reading List? - Meghan's Mirror

Not on the list are some books I've seen on Meghan's former Instagram: What Pretty Girls Are Made Of, a novel by Lindsay Roth (Meghan's friend from college). The book was inspired by Meghan. Also, We Are Not Ourselves, a novel by Matthew Thomas; Fates and Furies, a novel by Lauren Groff; and Vanity Fair's Hollywood. You can go to Youtube and look up (a fast or slow version of) "Meghan's Instagram."... showing screen caps of some of her posts that were still up before she deleted her account. She had a delightful, well-curated Instagram. Meghan's former Instagram screen caps also feature the many quotes and words of wisdom she loved to post. She especially posted a lot of sayings and poems by Tyler Knott Gregson:
https://www.instagram.com/tylerknott/?hl=en

Thank you for the effort you put into such a thorough response, MaiaMia. I've never been a celebrity-watcher so I wasn't familiar with Meghan's life in Canada. As I continue reading about the Commonwealth, I will also read all of these things, too, to get a picture of what she was like before she took this enormous leap into a new social class and alien culture.

I have to say that this new leap, how she's accomplishing it, and how she's experiencing it, interest me more than her outfit du jour*. I just want to put out the ripple that there are those of us who are interested in Meghan, the woman drawn to international service, and not just Meghan, the woman helping prop up the fascinator industry.

*She sure wears those outfits well, though. AmIrightorwhat?

I don't think having a private jet for a cross-atlantic flight is normal; not even among most European royalty. It probably differs a bit between royal families but I believe most would use a normal scheduled flight for long distances. So, what your point of reference for considering that normal? Or do you think that Harry and Meghan have been doing that all the time while they were dating (given your sentence about staying under the radar)? It wasn't Harry's typical way of traveling previously.

And I do understand that it were her friends who organized it; nonetheless, it again highlights that prior to Harry she (purposively) mingled in those circles and might suggest that she was actively looking for celebrity-type friends.
My point of reference was that in the private aviation business, planes are routinely in the wrong place, therefore, they often travel "empty" around the world. Because of this situation they also ferry approved people, friends or VIP's, cargo and even aid as cargo when they do because they are empty.

The unkind words about Meghan's valuing people by virtue of their pocket or status is both uncorroborated and unkind.
Exactly this. And while we're never going to be told about it, I suspect that behind the scenes there's pushback already, or will be, about her friends being so open with the media, companies not being made to sign NDAs and therefore allowed to name drop her, etc. The one thing the British royal family doesn't do is to allow themselves to be surrounded by indiscrete people who would sell them out or speak to the media about them. And while I, along with many others, suspect that Meghan gave her consent to the story from People with five of her friends speaking out, I highly doubt that she consented to the comments being made to publications about her shower, what they did and how much it was exactly what she needed, etc. and I would imagine that she'll see a strong urging from the family about the need to choose her friends carefully, cut out those that are indiscrete, etc.
Strangely enough, I don't think that a lot of royals used to employ Non-Disclosure Contracts. I am not sure how enforceable they are in the UK but after the first royal attache, butler, secretary or whatever leaked private information I would have thought they would if they could.
Since the results of the great Kensington cleanup, with under accounts being responsible for over 70% of the trolling. But there is one thing I don't understand, those who say that when there's smoke there's fire.
Wow I though when her father release her private letter was the end of their relationship. If this story is true that would be great. It would be sad if Mr Markle missed seeing his new grandchild. They love each other I hope in time they can rebuild their relationship. So I am keeping my fingers crossed.
The "friend" quoted in the DM is as believable as my great-niece's invisible friend. It gets her into no end of trouble.

Bottom line, there is no evidence that Harry or Meghan have ever approved their friends permission to speak to the media and I personally believe that the day that the Daily Mail is the publication of choice? :pigsfly: :pigsfly: :pigsfly:

This woman has children; how does it feel to have your mum achieve that particular distinction? What is she thinking?

The more I learn about Mr. Markle and His Other Daughter (Samantha), the more I agree with the course of action Meghan's taken and the less I want them soiling the inside of my head.

Her oldest two she had little part of their life growing up. Christopher and Ashleigh were raised by their grandparents. Perhaps why they seem to be the only sensible functioning adults on the Markle side of the family. Noelle has spoken out against her mother. Clearly she is embarrassed by the antics of her mother in the press.

Omid Scobie responded on Twitter to someone asking about the olive.branch Meghan was suppose to offer : not true.

A curiuos thing about Sam's older kids. Their dad's parents had custody of them. Why didn't Dad get custody? And why was Sam referred to as the step sister in DM?

....And why was Sam referred to as the step sister in DM?..

Cause tabloids often get the details wrong...

LaRae

You know, amidst all the discussion of the duties Meghan's been given and what she's worn and all the speculation on every topic under the sun, I find that what I really would like to know is what she reads.

I understand why the Queen keeps her politics to herself and I agree with that. I also agree with the rest of the royal family following suit. But why do Meghan and Kate have to be represented as if their heads are hatstands?

I understand that Kate has upper second-class honours in art history from St. Andrews, (statistically the rank most students achieve and the minimum requirement of most major employers). Meghan has a dual Bachelor of Arts in Theater and International Relations from Northwestern University. We don't know how well she did because most US universities don't publicize grades against the wishes of alumni but we do know she failed the Foreign Service Officer Test. She has my sympathy.

So we know they can read. But why can't we know what they read? Is that thought of as too close to political expression?

The duchess of Sussex has mentioned that she reads the Economist newsmagazine (but not Twitter) but we do not know the contents of her personal library beyond the pictures that were taken in her Toronto home when she was still active on Instagram. What I recall seeing were 'table top' books on fashion, art and lifestyle; these were her interests of course at the time. I am certain she has now invested in meatier fare and envy her choice of London bookstores!:flowers:

Thank you for the effort you put into such a thorough response, MaiaMia. I've never been a celebrity-watcher so I wasn't familiar with Meghan's life in Canada. As I continue reading about the Commonwealth, I will also read all of these things, too, to get a picture of what she was like before she took this enormous leap into a new social class and alien culture.

I have to say that this new leap, how she's accomplishing it, and how she's experiencing it, interest me more than her outfit du jour*. I just want to put out the ripple that there are those of us who are interested in Meghan, the woman drawn to international service, and not just Meghan, the woman helping prop up the fascinator industry.

*She sure wears those outfits well, though. AmIrightorwhat?
I will join you in that ripple; I too am less interested in look and more in what it all means!:flowers:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that since 2017 Meghan has been reading books on Britain, the royal family and its history, as well as a lot on the British Commonwealth and the realms. Not sure how much she knew before but the more knowledge the better.

A few speculative comments about the Markles have been deleted. Let’s please stick to factual information. Thanks.

I think there may come a time in the future where communication between Meghan and her father is reestablished but it will be done privately and not make any front pages on any tabloid or media sites. In fact, I would wager that even Samantha will not be aware of it.

Too much has happened to expect Meghan to bring Tom Sr. into the fold in the UK grandchild or no grandchild. Meghan knows how seriously the British royal family takes their security and their privacy and with being part of that, she will probably realize that this is the way things need to be.

With Grandpa in Rosario, Mexico, there may be photo swapping and perhaps video chatting so Grandpa can see his grandchild on a secure connection and as Tom seems relatively OK with living in Mexico away from *all* his kids and grandkids, this could be a happy resolution.

We'll see what what happens but then again, maybe we won't. :D

I'm going to use a Meghan quote here "I fundamentally disagree" ? I don't understand why Meghan would be expected to go through such lengths to have a relationship with her father, nor do I think she should be expected to subject her child to this mess. Meghan's father has made it very clear that his pride/ego/pocket lining $$, come before everything else including the well being of his child (one that he helped raise). There is no telling what he would do with information on a child he isn't even that vested in except for the money said child could bring to him. His own child wrote him a heart felt letter asking him to stop going to the media so they could work on their relationship and his response was fine, give me a photo op. He would not be good for baby sussex.

On a different note, about reading materials. Meghan likes to do her homework, that is clear so it wouldn't surprise me if she has read up on the BRF, the UK, Commonwealth etc. She typically knows details about her engagements before she arrives so I would assume she reads up on things having to do with them or the topics they cover. She made it clear she was reading/watching documentaries to prep for her IWD panel.

Last edited:
There's no way that by the time Harry and Megan decided they were serious enough for a long distance relationship that she hadn't done some research on the BRF etc. You don't rearrange your life on a whim.

There's no way that by the time Harry and Megan decided they were serious enough for a long distance relationship that she hadn't done some research on the BRF etc. You don't rearrange your life on a whim.

I agree. Meghan is a very intelligent woman and I don't believe she just put on rose colored glasses and went along for the ride of love and glamour. We all would look into a "known" future life of marrying not only someone of a foreign country and being forced to move there but also a family who's every burp is publicized world wide. I am sure she believed she could handle just fine and probably would have without her Markle family starting their interviews. Still don't understand all that. But, that is another story. She will be fine and get the life that in the long run she wants. If she invited her father over to Frogmore after the child's birth, good if that is what he wants to calm him down. Can't see him being invited to Ascot with the Queen but probably Charles will bend over backwards to comply. If it is true that he is extremely ill, then maybe the poor guy should have his way for a weekend. I am not a lover of blackmail so that would never fly with me. Plus Samantha, no way. But, not my life and family.

I just keep thinking that if anyone knows Thomas Markle, Sr. the best out of all the opinions and speculations and even the facts that have been presented in this unholy mess, its Meghan. I trust that she knows best what to do, how to handle things and weigh all the possibilities before acting. She's a level headed person comfortable in her own skin and my speculation (and it *is* just a speculation) is that Meghan wouldn't be adverse to taking the high road and not carry grudges. Besides... grudges shed horribly. ?

I agree that it is Meghan's decision and the UK media is constantly bashing her for the way she is handling things which is a shame. She knows what is best for her and her family.

I don't see this as a grudge at all. It is perfectly okay to set boundaries to or end a relationship because you feel it isn't working for your or isn't healthy for you and your family and to still wish the other person well.

Last edited:
... If she invited her father over to Frogmore after the child's birth, good if that is what he wants to calm him down... If it is true that he is extremely ill, then maybe the poor guy should have his way for a weekend...

I just keep thinking that if anyone knows Thomas Markle, Sr. ... it's Meghan. I trust that she knows best what to do... Meghan wouldn't be adverse to taking the high road and not carry grudges. Besides... grudges shed horribly. ?

Re Markle Sr, I think that at this point, it's a question of trust. If Markle Sr is fixated on money and 'photo-ops,' that's a problem. There's every indication that Meghan & Harry made every effort to include Markle Sr in the wedding. He even admitted as much in tv interviews, but he chose not to go to England a couple of weeks in advance to become acclimated. It's indeed a shame Markle Sr chose differently, with ill-advised influence from Samantha (which she also publicly admitted).

It's truly fortunate that throughout the courtship period in 2017, Markle Sr's whereabouts in Mexico were unknown to the paps and tabloids who were trying to locate him. They didn't find him (thank God) until sometime after M&H's engagement announcement.

I agree. Meghan is a very intelligent woman and I don't believe she just put on rose colored glasses and went along for the ride of love and glamour. We all would look into a "known" future life of marrying not only someone of a foreign country and being forced to move there but also a family who's every burp is publicized world wide.

Oh yes. We have only to look back at the engagement interview to learn what they revealed to us about their first meetings, their deep attraction and mutual interests. Obviously, it did not take hardly any time for them to commit. I agree that Meghan was more interested in the quality of Harry's character than in his status as a Prince of England. From what her former friend Gina Nelthorpe-Cowne revealed, Meghan went into the first date excited but her excitement was tempered by caution and the modest hope of having an adventure getting to know someone new without grandiose expectations. Once they met and sparks flew, the rest is history. It's an amazing love story.

Surely in the age of social media, H&M both checked each other out on the Internet prior to their first 'blind' date. But as Meghan said during the engagement interview, she learned most of what she knows about Harry and his family directly from Harry. And now, reportedly, Meghan is learning about the history of the British monarchy and the Royal Art Collection from her charmed and admiring father-in-law. Meghan is obviously equally charmed by and admiring of Prince Charles.

From all evidence, Harry & Meghan made the deep commitment to each other during their five days camping out under the stars in Botswana, in August 2016. And at some point during their courtship, they must have both confided in each other about the peculiarities of their respective family relationships. One of the things they were said to have bonded over is the painful experience of parental break-ups during their childhoods.

Last edited:
I don't think it's about the style of pram (there are pics of Catherine pushing a buggy) it's about the brand. Silver Cross make buggies as well as prams & the Mail seems to be frothing because Meghan might use a different brand. It's a ridiculous story but all part of the usual trash reporting.

Apparently Harry and Meghan are breaking tradition again ....with a baby buggy

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...id-rumours-Harry-Meghan-chose-1-500-pram.html

Seriously? They are disrespecting tradition because they will not use a style of pram used back in the Queen Mother's day?

I don't think it's about the style of pram (there are pics of Catherine pushing a buggy) it's about the brand. Silver Cross make buggies as well as prams & the Mail seems to be frothing because Meghan might use a different brand. It's a ridiculous story but all part of the usual trash reporting.

I agree with Lilyflo, this is a non-story. I don't think most people, and certainly the BRF, care about what baby buggy is used. Must have been a slow news day for the DM!

Buried in the story was the nugget that Zara works for iCandy .And i would guess that when Lena was born she was using the stuff she was being paid to us and it wasn't Silver Cross either .

And that makes sense as the way The Fail describes it ,it sounds like the ideal countryside/eventing/polo buggy (built like a tank and foldaway ).Maybe Zara has sold her on it's merits ,maybe it's even a gift from the Tindalls or Harry's Aunt .

Buried in the story was the nugget that Zara works for iCandy .And i would guess that when Lena was born she was using the stuff she was being paid to us and it wasn't Silver Cross either .

And that makes sense as the way The Fail describes it ,it sounds like the ideal countryside/eventing/polo buggy (built like a tank and foldaway ).Maybe Zara has sold her on it's merits ,maybe it's even a gift from the Tindalls or Harry's Aunt .

I knew i’d heard about this brand, Zara promoted it along with her work for Land Rover. I doubt persoanlly that W&K use their big silver cross pram all the time, I mean I can’t see them using it off road as such. From what I recall we’ve only seen it at Charlotte’s christening at Sandringham and that one was speculated to be the Queen’s old one for her children. All a fuss about nothing

Buried in the story was the nugget that Zara works for iCandy.

iCandy is designed by Land Rover and Zara has a sponsoring deal with Land Rover.
I just read that Zara recently became a brand ambassador for iCandy.

I doubt personally that W&K use their big silver cross pram all the time, I mean I can’t see them using it off road as such. From what I recall we’ve only seen it at Charlotte’s christening at Sandringham and that one was speculated to be the Queen’s old one for her children. All a fuss about nothing

There are plenty of photos of Kate and Nanny Maria using a couple of normal prams - Silver Cross Sleepover and Maclaren Quest.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6f/06/b8/...2ea384--duchess-kate-duchess-of-cambridge.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c2/ae/68/c2ae68f41d377212c5198d976f1dd92d.jpg

The one from the Christening was only for the photo op and by all reports a vintage one from The Queen.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2c/f1/26/2cf12606ef0d5fd2034de1a0d21646bb.jpg

I would expect the Cambridges own several prams, with 3 kids so close together. I also doubt they lug the same pram from London to Norfolk and back.

Last edited:
Meghan is suppose to have a second baby shower in the UK and Doria is coming to that one

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.co...819/meghan-markle-second-baby-shower-england/

BP is a really fancy location for an intimate baby shower. I wonder when the Markets were going to complain Samantha wasn't invited or Dad isn't planned to be brought over before the baby's birth. This is in light of the reconciliation story a few days ago.

The other point to clarify: Meghan has not started her maternity leave. We were told she had behind the scenes meetings still in her diary and that when she finished work would probably depend on how she felt. Perfectly understandable.

Palace officials did say after her Commonwealth Day engagements she had no more public duties planned. But it was also made clear that it was still possible that something unexpected might come up.

Remember the story that Samantha was on Scotland Yard's fixated persons list? Sam just did an interview with DM showing proof she is not on the list

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tle-prove-not-police-list-fixated-people.html

The Mar 7 letter does not exonerate Sam. In the third paragraph the statement reads do not use this response as a certificate of good character. She still could be watched by police but through a different lens. And comments shown she has not changed opinions of her. Sam called this an attempted smear campaign on her but it looks like a PR stragety of hers that has backfired.

There doesn't need to be a smear campaign against Samantha. She does that all on her own on her twitter and interviews. She's been fixated on Meghan from the moment the relationship became public knowledge, October 2016. The less she gets attention from people, the less she will be interviewed. And tbh, her tweets and interviews don't get that much traction any more, she just has nothing new to say.

I noticed that her legal last name is still her married one. So she went from using Grant to Markle when it’s is really Rasmussen. Also if you read the documents it doesn’t even say she not being watch (I bet she is to an extent) and if so they don’t have to reveal it.

I find it funny that she claims to not be fixated yet she hired UK based lawyers to disprove something she claimed to not care about? She is 100% fixated on all things Meghan and her lame attempts to bully her into an interaction has failed.

Baby Sussex is almost here so the Markles are trying to make waves again. It’s their last chance because once that baby arrivals it’s over. They will see that baby like the rest of us — far away via the media. It’s what they deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom