The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:49 PM
Royal Highness

Her visit to the USA was private since Friday until she started going out with her famous friends. What was she was supposed to do? Hide in her hotel for 5 days?

Old 02-19-2019, 04:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Media waiting outside the Mark Hotel in NY tonight for Meghan to emerge following the baby shower.

. https://www.instagram.com/p/BuEk2zED...=1plv73am5xlv0
How did the media find out about this shower in the first place? I wonder who leaked it.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I know the press in the US is different, particularly with the privacy aspect of things. But Meghan has flown under the radar before, as DOS, and she was with Henry without anyone knowing for a while.

As I said, there are ways and means to make a visit like this actually private. How did the press know she was going? Where she was staying? Who released the information? If nobody knows you're going, nobody knows you're there. Without hacking plane manifests or stalking every hotel in NY, they simply couldn't have found without already knowing where she was.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
How did the media find out about this shower in the first place? I wonder who leaked it.
Page 6 in NYC has spies everywhere. Someone spotted her at a French tea house in Soho, sent the news to Page 6. ---> Omid Scobie forced to confirm that yes, she was in the city, and by that time many were speculating that her friends were giving her a shower. It's a typical American thing, so it's not unusual if she's meeting with friends in NYC that they were going to throw a baby shower for her. ---> NYC is filled to the brim with paparazzi, and they staked out all possible hotels. Daily mail got the money shot of her last night, and from there it's not hard to deduce and the rest is history.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I know the press in the US is different, particularly with the privacy aspect of things. But Meghan has flown under the radar before, as DOS, and she was with Henry without anyone knowing for a while.

As I said, there are ways and means to make a visit like this actually private. How did the press know she was going? Where she was staying? Who released the information? If nobody knows you're going, nobody knows you're there. Without hacking plane manifests or stalking every hotel in NY, they simply couldn't have found without already knowing where she was.
This is precisely what they did. I live in the area. They knew she was in town but they didn't know the hotel. It was a travesty last night seeing a bunch of them stalk out at least 5 hotels within my own vicinity trying to find her. There was only a number of hotels that she could have been staying at in the city. Hence, when DailyMail got the money shot of her leaving last night.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:29 PM
Royal Highness

Just saying that if Meghan and Harry can fly around the world and go on honeymoon/vacations without anyone finding them surely Meghan can walk across the street or anywhere with out the media knowing and just know that she has had lots of very private time traveling with out the media and this could have been the same regardless of who found out she was in NY as there are many ways to do things being who she is without the media around as she has proven that already......use the back door of the hotel to go out and have a car waiting or the side door instead of going out the front where you know all the media are and can she walk 10 feet without holding the bump? Some things that Meghan does still adds up to Hollywood, attention seeking is one of them. I think it will take a long time for the effects of Hollywood that has been implanted in her to go away as that was her life before Harry.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:35 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
This is precisely what they did. I live in the area. They knew she was in town but they didn't know the hotel. It was a travesty last night seeing a bunch of them stalk out at least 5 hotels within my own vicinity trying to find her. There was only a number of hotels that she could have been staying at in the city. Hence, when DailyMail got the money shot of her leaving last night.
You posted a few seconds after i'd asked the question, so it was a case of passing posts.

As you say someone spotted her, and then they stalked to hotels. There is an element to this of Meghan being popular in the US even before Henry. She's a recognisable face.

I don't really see it as an issue the press found her, in that unfortunately that's part of her life now. I do think her trip could have been handled better, they've both shown they can fly under the radar and it can be done, so why not use the ways and means this time? Also my main thought along all of this is why NYC? What connections does she have to the city? These are genuine questions because I have always thought she had ties to Toronto.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Just saying that if Meghan and Harry can fly around the world and go on honeymoon/vacations without anyone finding them surely Meghan can walk across the street or anywhere with out the media knowing and just know that she has had lots of very private time traveling with out the media and this could have been the same regardless of who found out she was in NY as there are many ways to do things being who she is without the media around as she has proven that already......use the back door of the hotel to go out and have a car waiting or the side door instead of going out the front where you know all the media are and can she walk 10 feet without holding the bump? Some things that Meghan does still adds up to Hollywood, attention seeking is one of them. I think it will take a long time for the effects of Hollywood that has been implanted in her to go away as that was her life before Harry.
Not in NYC. Once they found out she's there, there is no way around it. They went to Africa without anyone finding out. It's hardly the same thing. And there has been other places where they've been that we've been told. Perhaps no photos as the privacy laws are different, but US doesn't really have much laws to prevent someone from taking a picture of her while she's walking to the car. I'm not sure how you went from the media finding out she is in NYC to she's seeking attention.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
You posted a few seconds after i'd asked the question, so it was a case of passing posts.

As you say someone spotted her, and then they stalked to hotels. There is an element to this of Meghan being popular in the US even before Henry. She's a recognisable face.

I don't really see it as an issue the press found her, in that unfortunately that's part of her life now. I do think her trip could have been handled better, they've both shown they can fly under the radar and it can be done, so why not use the ways and means this time? Also my main thought along all of this is why NYC? What connections does she have to the city? These are genuine questions because I have always thought she had ties to Toronto.
NYC is easier for everyone to convene upon. Some live here already, some were already here for work, and it makes it easier for her to get here and back to London in good time. Apparently there will be another baby shower in London after the Morocco trip for her friends who live there.

Also, before she was the DoS, her and her girlfriends would always visit nYC for girl trips. This was probably one last "hurrah" of the girls before baby was born.

Her ties to Toronto was mostly for work. Yes, she lived there, but the majority of her friends were in the states, with the exception of her co-workers and Jessica and her family.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

She's loved NYC before. It's a good spot for girls' trip in general. She's talked about going there for trips, work or otherwise. It's a place where you can do a lot of things and get to and leave from easily since it has three airports in the area. Her friends are in geographically dispersed locations, so being easy to travel to probably makes it easier to accommodate everyone's schedule. However, a few of them either work part time or live part time in NYC. It's also easier for her than LA. It seems like a number of them decided to make it a few days trip rather than just the baby shower as Jessica has been in town a few days and so has Abigail Spencer.

It's also a place that you either go unnoticed or you'll be easily found. It's only when Page Six got their tip that it became a problem. With NYC, it's really all or nothing.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I don't think that they found her. Someone spotted her at the tea house, could have been the waitress, the restaurant owner, receptionist at the restaurant, anyone and sold it to Page 6 in NYC. All it takes is a lead, and NYC gossip columns and paparazzi are like blood hounds.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't think that they found her. Someone spotted her at the tea house, could have been the waitress, the restaurant owner, receptionist at the restaurant, anyone and sold it to Page 6 in NYC. All it takes is a lead, and NYC gossip columns and paparazzi are like blood hounds.
I can't remember which one I read, but one of them had a quote from someone they identified as someone that works at Laduree.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So perhaps the lesson here is that NYC is not a good place for Meghan to have a girls' get-together if she wants any semblance of privacy? I'm not sure where else would have been a better choice.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:50 PM
Courtier

Also, just want to point out that she made it almost 4 whole days out of a 5 day trip without anyone knowing. Maybe this is something that she will have to learn. Keep it short and sweet. In and out in a few days and no one is the wiser. Which is probably why her and Harry were able to keep a lot of their trips under the radar. NYC is big in population density, however, it is still geographically small, especially if she is staying here on the island. After a few days, she was bound to be spotted unless she locked herself away in her hotel room.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
So perhaps the lesson here is that NYC is not a good place for Meghan to have a girls' get-together if she wants any semblance of privacy? I'm not sure where else would have been a better choice.
Nowhere she's had previous ties to at this point. Once Toronto started to have paparazzi, you know it's bad. NYC was probably the safest bet had the Laduree employee not talked. That's how this whole things started. It's much easier to blend in, especially in winter. But once they knew she was in town, it became probably the worst place.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Perhaps, but it is a convenient location for all. Again, I think she should keep it to around a few days, perhaps 3. However, this time around, I can understand it and she's friends with people who have very different and hectic schedules.

To me, this is a huge learning curve for her, and I hope she learns from this and adjusts for the future. Shorter visiting times, probably spread between NYC, Chicago, Toronto and LA. HOWEVER, if a trip like that was discovered, I could imagine the media storm of multi-stop trip.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Sad but true. And now that the press knows that she slipped in to New York once, they'll be on the alert more in the future. Not that it's likely to be an issue for a while, what with Baby Sussex, etc.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I can't remember which one I read, but one of them had a quote from someone they identified as someone that works at Laduree.
YEP...that's where it started, at the tea house. I saw it in Page Six (I get a lot of News papers delivered to my home and office in the morning) and dismissed it. However, as soon as Omid tipped his hand 24 hours later, I knew it was true.

Quote:
Sad but true. And now that the press knows that she slipped in to New York once, they'll be on the alert more in the future. Not that it's likely to be an issue for a while, what with Baby Sussex, etc.
Nah, they are always on alert unfortunately. They literally stake out the the 3 main airports in the area for VIP arrivals. We also have some small airports in Westchester, and the paps are always there also. Since no one spotted her at the airports, they arranged everything quite well. Again, it was just that someone at the restaurant told Page Six, and now we're discussing it.

BTW, I'm glad that I'm getting to discuss the nuances surrounding the media in NYC. It's fascinating to watch, although I do feel sorry for her that she couldn't finish off her trip in privacy. Shorter trips I think is the key.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Meghan and Harry are very good at going under radar, but its not always going to be like that. There are times we will see this happen.

Also, shes our American Princess. The Princess has come home to America, so the interest is much more higher than before.

Im glad shes enjoying herself with her friends, but I hope she dont have much a problem getting back home in this weather. There will be flight cancellations.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Nah, they are always on alert unfortunately. They literally stake out the the 3 main airports in the area for VIP arrivals. We also have some small airports in Westchester, and the paps are always there also. Since no one spotted her at the airports, they arranged everything quite well. Again, it was just that someone at the restaurant told Page Six, and now we're discussing it.

BTW, I'm glad that I'm getting to discuss the nuances surrounding the media in NYC. It's fascinating to watch, although I do feel sorry for her that she couldn't finish off her trip in privacy. Shorter trips I think is the key.
I'm surprised they don't have regular stakeouts at Teterboro tbh. This conversation about NYC is bringing me back to the good ole days of NY gossip.

Closed Thread