Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 2: December 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If maximum publicity was what was required, then Meghan could have been followed by the paps for the last 5 days.

It's very interesting to hear all your input about the situation in NYC. I believe once Meghan had planned what she wanted to do, she let her security team work out the practicalities. She could have eg. received shopping assistents from baby shops in her hotel or have a top chef coming in to cook for her. There are a lot of things people with money can do without ever leave their residence or hotel. Receive spa treatments with a friend, all of that. We have no ideas what she had planned at all, apart from the few things where she was papped. So for her she could keep a lot of her visit private - and who knows? Maybe she even allowed herself to be papped for the sake of her friends: To show the world: these people are important to me, even though 5 of them talked to people and to give their importance a boost. A win-win situation.
And I bet that if she had done these things that you have suggested that she would have been roundly criticized for appearing too royal to leave her hotel. She can't win whatever she does.

Who spends money on a plane ticket and a hotel in another country to just stay in a hotel room and not go out at all? That makes no sense to me!

And she didn't need this NY trip to show the world that her friends are important. There is documented evidence that these people have been in her life for years. These same friends were at her wedding and wedding reception so she didn't need this NYC trip to prove anything.

All Meghan has done is flown to NYC for a get together and babyshower with her friends that was planned months ago. People are acting as though she is not entitled to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because that is the way whoever orchestrated this wanted it.

Or maybe what Page 6 said happened really did happen... The need some people have for a conspiracy is getting a bit tiresome. Usually the easiest explanation is also the correct one.

Because that is the way whoever orchestrated this wanted it.

Right. Who knows? It's entirely possible that security knew the information would come out in any case as Meghan's friends convened, and someone in the public sighted the Duchess either at the hotel or somewhere else. And of course, there are people who knew who she was at the hotel, and it was bound to be leaked eventually. So security may have decided to get ahead of it themselves with Meghan in public the other day at the French pastries & tea restaurant. They were certainly able to keep it under wraps for several days about DoS Meghan even being in New York.

Likely for the first few days of settling in at the hotel, Meghan kept a low profile, and perhaps touched base in private there with some of her friends to coordinate things.

Indeed the security may have felt it easier to control a known situation rather than trying to disguise and secret Meghan everywhere on the last couple of days when her profile would be higher, with her eating out and shopping, etc. In any case, let's face the fact that it's not easy coming and going as a high profile figure out in public in New York, without being detected.

It's been said that this trip was planned months ago. So, perhaps the timing of the People article with Meghan's friends supporting her was purposely intended to come out in advance of the NY trip. So the baby shower serves a lot of purposes: relaxation with friends; receiving baby shower gifts; and showing everyone that Meghan supports her friends just as they support her.

Last edited:
Duchess Meghan's Avocado Dip Recipe (different from her avocado toast recipe):
The avocado toast recipe is at the end of this feature on Daniel Martin, Meghan's makeup artist who posted about this fave Meghan treat on his Instagram:
Meet Daniel Martin, Meghan's Makeup Artist - Meghan's Mirror Scroll down

I guess it's safe to say that Meghan loves avocados. I do too. They are very healthy, and go with a lot of foods, as a condiment or main snack. My favorite letter A foods: avocado, asparagas, artichoke, apple. ?

Last edited:
As someone who lives in the heart of NYC, it’s not really surprising she was discovered. I’m more shocked it took 3 days. I see a famous faces regularly in the streets. Most don’t care and leave people be. Having said that, you best believe if someone saw Meghan it would be filed to the nearest station quickly. Once Page Six got tipped they did their due diligence to confirm she was in town. They had pap outside her friends homes. She not naive. She was aware she might be spotted.

True to form Sam weighed in on the baby shower and wanting Meghan to contact Dad.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6723327/Samantha-Markle-urges-sister-Meghan-dad-trip.html

Meghan's letter blew up in the Markles' faces and Dad's reputation took a bigger hit. All their pleas for family unity is really a desire to be seen as important and respected. The Markles left three years of a paper, interview and social media trail to show their true fleeings for Meghan to want anything to do with them.

True to form Sam weighed in on the baby shower and wanting Meghan to contact Dad.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6723327/Samantha-Markle-urges-sister-Meghan-dad-trip.html

Meghan's letter blew up in the Markles' faces and Dad's reputation took a bigger hit. All their pleas for family unity is really a desire to be seen as important and respected. The Markles left three years of a paper, interview and social media trail to show their true fleeings for Meghan to want anything to do with them.

In Germany, we have a saying: Friends are God's apology for settling you with your family. I bet Meghan would not laugh about that anymore but simply nod.

The DailyMail claiming the baby shower is actually today. It is obvious nothing happened yesterday. I wonder if it ever was happening. I guess we will see how it unfolds. She suppose to fly out today.

The DailyMail claiming the baby shower is actually today. It is obvious nothing happened yesterday. I wonder if it ever was happening. I guess we will see how it unfolds. She suppose to fly out today.
I hope that they are monitoring the snow storm that she can leave before flights are cancelled.

Hey, I’ll be like, “give me the gifts and I’m getting the hell out of here.” Best to do that than mess around and get your flight canceled.

I hope that they are monitoring the snow storm that she can leave before flights are cancelled.

Yes, it's going to get bad quickly here. If she didn't leave this morning, then her next best opportunity to get out would be later this evening when the storm has passed or early tomorrow morning.

Is it even going to be that bad? Too many times this season they called for awful weather and barely anything happened. The news this morning says at most a few inches. But better safe than sorry.

I’m just most amused that the details were so clearly wrong. She is in NYC so that’s true but everything else has been way off. Just goes to show even sources can still miss.

Who actually said this NYC get together was a baby shower occasion in the first place? Was it Omid? Or the Fail? Because it looks to me more and more as if Meghan just arranged to meet a handful of girlfriends and have an enjoyable few days with them in a favourite city, rather than having a formal occasion like a baby shower. (And yes, I know a crib was delivered. Otoh Meghan did some shopping herself at baby goods stores.)

Is it even going to be that bad? Too many times this season they called for awful weather and barely anything happened. The news this morning says at most a few inches. But better safe than sorry.

I’m just most amused that the details were so clearly wrong. She is in NYC so that’s true but everything else has been way off. Just goes to show even sources can still miss.

NYC is used to dealing with bad weather. However, it'll be difficult for even them during the storm. There is always the option of driving a bit to a different airport and get out there. But regardless, she has a bit of time before Saturday. While we don't know what her schedule is going to be like, things can shift around a little bit if they aren't public.

Who actually said this NYC get together was a baby shower occasion in the first place? Was it Omid? Or the Fail? Because it looks to me more and more as if Meghan just arranged to meet a handful of girlfriends and have an enjoyable few days with them in a favourite city, rather than having a formal occasion like a baby shower. (And yes, I know a crib was delivered. Otoh Meghan did some shopping herself at baby goods stores.)

This is what I'm wondering, too.

Sometimes Mother Nature does her own thing, despite the weather forecasters.;) We were supposed to get less than an inch of snow this morning-we got 4.
It doesn't seem to be snowing in NYC yet--supposed to start in a half hour or so. Meghan may be on her way back to London already.

Was the "baby shower" actually from sources or speculation? Maybe there was one, but was before the press knew she was in NYC?

Last edited:
Omid reported she's in NYC for baby shower after Page Six disclosed she was in town. However, he is changing the baby shower timeline from yesterday to today now along with others. My guess? There are some peripheral sources in New York that are giving some details (like flowers being delivered yesterday, which led to the assumption that it was yeseterday), but no one really close to Meghan. Some assumptions are being made as part of the reporting, which is why it's all over the place. As usual.

In all the speculation about who knew what and when, I haven’t seen it mentioned how tabloids get tipped off about a famous person’s activities.

Concierges, maitre d’s, waiters, doormen (and women), limo drivers- many of these people (at high-end hotels and restaurants) have tabloid reporters on speed dial.

It’s not just luck, it’s not a conspiracy, it’s just competent reporting.

Reactions: ACO

Omid gave this exclusive. He was right she was in NYC but the rest of his info was way off the mark. I agree with others that is just seems she came to town to spend time with friends who all have some kind of base here. And just to get away for a few days.

The weather so far is fine. They are calling for the snow to start around 1pm and then turning into rain by 9pm. And even with the snow it doesn't look to be bad until this evening. I guess we shall see but I am sure they have back up plans.

In all the speculation about who knew what and when, I haven’t seen it mentioned how tabloids get tipped off about a famous person’s activities.

Concierges, maitre d’s, waiters, doormen (and women), limo drivers- many of these people (at high-end hotels and restaurants) have tabloid reporters on speed dial.

I did a few pages back. Some just want to believe a conspiracy rather than what's right in front of them.

Or the paps are called by the celeb themselves.

If the stories about a lavish celebbies-studded baby-shower on a premium location is true (if...) then Harry and Meghan have zero understanding of what a monarchy is, how vulnerable the institution is and how important it is not to turn it into a soap opera.

Can you even imagine a Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz in combination with "celebbie baby shower"? Or a Prince Willem-Alexander? He would ask: "Where is the vomit bag?"

That marriage with the Clooneys, the Winfreys and the Beckhams, that soap opera with the Markles, and now this. I really hope this is not true. This is so off-key with the rest of the nation who sees clouds and unsecurity because of Brexit. What should the families hit by closures and job losses think of all this? This is so wrong, so vulgar, so un-royal family.

Meghan is privately meeting with her friends before she has her baby. That's it. It's not a star studded event, but a private get together between friends to celebrate. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

If the stories about a lavish celebbies-studded baby-shower on a premium location is true (if...) then Harry and Meghan have zero understanding of what a monarchy is, how vulnerable the institution is and how important it is not to turn it into a soap opera.

Can you even imagine a Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz in combination with "celebbie baby shower"? Or a Prince Willem-Alexander? He would ask: "Where is the vomit bag?"

That marriage with the Clooneys, the Winfreys and the Beckhams, that soap opera with the Markles, and now this. I really hope this is not true. This is so off-key with the rest of the nation who sees clouds and unsecurity because of Brexit. What should the families hit by closures and job losses think of all this? This is so wrong, so vulgar, so un-royal family.
Is Mathilda friends with them before? No Winfrey or Beckhams were at the baby shower. Amal Clooney is reported as cohosting with Serena, yet I've not seen any evidence of her being there. Given the discrepancies we've already seen with the reporting, I'll believe it when I see a picture of her entering or leaving The Mark Hotel.

I find it odd that peoples just expects Meghan to drop her friends once she becomes royal. Although, if she drops someone, she's branded as heartless who just does away with people. Nevermind if these people have earned it or not.

That’s not what’s happening here.

Is Mathilda friends with them before? No Winfrey or Beckhams were at the baby shower. Amal Clooney is reported as cohosting with Serena, yet I've not seen any evidence of her being there. Given the discrepancies we've already seen with the reporting, I'll believe it when I see a picture of her entering or leaving The Mark Hotel.

I find it odd that peoples just expects Meghan to drop her friends once she becomes royal. Although, if she drops someone, she's branded as heartless who just does away with people. Nevermind if these people have earned it or not.

Yeah, she was criticized for dropping all her old friends. Clearly that's not the case, so now the issue is, that she meets these friends and they have a celebratory get together.

I find it odd that peoples just expects Meghan to drop her friends once she becomes royal. Although, if she drops someone, she's branded as heartless bitch who just does away with people. Nevermind if these people have earned it or not.

I'm also confused. Meghan had a life prior to become a royal. Should she be ashamed that her friends are successful and want to spoil her? No tax payer money is being spent. No one needs to be concerned over Serena and Amal's bank accounts. That if it is even true. As we have already seen the details have been very wrong.

Yeah..I am not sure what the issue with her friends are. People say she is minor list celebrity and than are mad because some of her friends are also celebrities? Does that even make sense?

I never understood the Oprah connection but allegedly Meghan met Amal either thru her hairdresser or Harry (who had met George previously). She has been friends with Abigail, Serena, and Jessica at least 5 to 10 years previously. Its been said that at least 15 to 20 people are attending and yet the only other "celebrities" are the people I just mentioned. That's three people....So who are the others? They must not be celebrities either. I don't think Oprah or the Winfrey's are coming. I am assuming that it will/could be Lindsay, Heather and/or Benita who let's face it...I am not sure anyone would/could recognize in a crowd.

And for the record, the BRF has LONG been associated with celebrities.

On another hand..its looks like a snow storm is getting ready to hit NYC! I think Meghan will be hitting the road right after this shower.

Last edited:
Yeah..I am not sure what the issue with her friends are. People say she is minor list celebrity and than are mad because some of her friends are also celebrities? Does that even make sense?

I never understood the Oprah connection but allegedly Meghan met Amal either thru her hairdresser or Harry (who had met George previously). She has been friends with Abigail, Serena, and Jessica years at least 5 to 10 years previously. Its been said that at least 15 to 20 people are attending and yet the only other "celebrities" are the people I just mentioned. So who are the others? They must not be celebrities either? I am assuming that it will/could be Lindsay, Heather and/or Benita who let's face it...I am not sure anyone would/could recognize in a crowd.

It is SAID (that word is important :lol:) some of her friends from Northwestern days are invited as well. Only name that's been thrown around is Genevieve Hillis, whom we only found out about due to the seating at St. George's. She sat behind Doria. So bottom line is we see some familiar names being thrown around publicly, her friends go beyond those that are famous.

And really, since when is being successful a crime or a bad thing? The likes of Serena and Amal Clooney are successful because they are good at what they do. They aren't just people that are famous for being famous.

BTW, it's hardly new for royals for vacation with well off friends. Didn't Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall spend some time on a friend's yacht during the summer of 2017? I'm sure there are other incidents, but I remember that specifically because all the hoopla around 20th anniversary of Diana's death.

Last edited:
The only people we have seen are Misha, Abigail, Jessica, Serena, and Markus. Someone said that saw Daniel walk into her hotel as well. Again, he is hardly a A lister. The rest will likely be her close girl pals who were all sitting in the Quire and unless you follow Meghan then you couldn't pick Benita, Lindsay, Genevieve, and Lucy out of a crowd. You might recognize Sarah and Janina if they attend. That is it. But we shall see. Either way I am glad she got this time with her close friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom