Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its exactly the kind of event they love and they are good at. The big entrance, glamour, admiration, the couple standing out.
The problem was that this is only one minor aspect of royal life, and many other aspects did not work out for them.

And what aspects of royal life were those??? Other then being hounded by press? Only a small portion of the events either of them did were splashy events like this. I hardly call the trips to bakeries, to smart works to help women choose clothes and so on were 'flashy celebrity'.

Unless you are the queen or heir 99.9% of royal life is exactly this- its representing patronages at events. Even for the queen and heir, other then opening parliament and some official ceremonies, that's their role to. Harry and Meghan attended all the official events like Commonwealth and remembrance, and did a great job at those too.

Its exactly the kind of event they love and they are good at. The big entrance, glamour, admiration, the couple standing out.
The problem was that this is only one minor aspect of royal life, and many other aspects did not work out for them.

Let's compromise and say "the events hat they are good at" - I was once "good at" such events, too, but honestly I went there because I had to and enjoyed only the food and the drinks, not the meet and greet. IMHOit could be they much prefer the smaller, more intimate meetings with people but are good at both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one more engagement tomorrow then.. and then they're off to 'pastures new'...

To much relief all round, l daresay.

The Sussexes will be missed. The standing ovation they received at the Royal Albert Hall was touching and shows not everyone bought into the negative media slant. The reception Meghan received at the school was wonderful too... They wanted to serve on a limited basis; the queen said no but they opted to leave for their peace of mind. The door is apparently open for their return but I don't see them coming back. I wish Harry and Meghan happiness, strenghth, success and Godspeed for their future endeavors.

^Yes, many will miss them, but many will not.. but l agree the open door' is unlikely to be utilised, l think their time as 'Royal' ends tomorrow..

And what aspects of royal life were those??? Other then being hounded by press? Only a small portion of the events either of them did were splashy events like this. I hardly call the trips to bakeries, to smart works to help women choose clothes and so on were 'flashy celebrity'.

Unless you are the queen or heir 99.9% of royal life is exactly this- its representing patronages at events. Even for the queen and heir, other then opening parliament and some official ceremonies, that's their role to. Harry and Meghan attended all the official events like Commonwealth and remembrance, and did a great job at those too.

Most of their work is not this stuff. It is going to village halls and hearing a kids orchestra playing. Opening hospitals. Looking interested in someone who grew the largest tomato in the village. Activities that would have only increased as they got older and what the Queen now spends a 100% of her time at. The 'sexy' stuff is for the younger ones and they all have their time doing it. Meghan and Harry are amazing at these high octane moments. She is amazing at anything that involves speeches, rallies. She is an amazing Michelle Obama type whose speeches are rousing. However, that isn't being royal. Now you can wax lyrical about how women in the Royal family are treated. Look pretty. Produce babies. Hug the sick. Be a StepFord wife. And you would be right. It is appalling...but they are on,your providing the service that is demanded. Public servants. So who really is to blame? But again also Meghan could not expect to be allowed to speak her mind in a position that is mute and representative. And she could have looked at the jobs people like Maxima and Mary in Denmark do. They are powerful representatives for their respective countries. Mary in particular a forceful,speech giver but theye manage to walk the line.

Also unfortunately I see Invictus being called off this year. With CoVid 19. Many participants would probably be considered slightly vulnerable. Off topic I was reminded of the unwarranted panic around this today when I was reminded of two former students of mind with serious underlying health issues. Young people. And when I went to the supermarket and saw the evidence of hording. Madness.

Last edited:
During their first joint appointment Harry looked happy but the last time he was caught several times with sad/lost face. Meghan however was always smiling and looking confident.
I think Harry wants a quiet life while Meghan not so we'll see.. The outfits are great I wonder what Kate wears tomorrow and about the positioning. Really curious if the couple make it in Hollywood. So many sharks out there. So many younger, newer Meghan around the corner. As for Harry I have no clue what he will do.

^ A contemplative Duke, last night.

Attachments

• markles.jpg
    markles.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 166
Maybe not applause, exactly, but ....I don’t know, just positive noises, affectionate call outs. That said, that would be in America; I’m not sure how the British public shows their love...

There were ppl screaming We love you in other audio.

LaRae

I thought Meghan seemed very relaxed and confident and at ease during her visit to a school for International Women's Day. Harry, on the other hand, seemed to be dropping hints during his speech at the Armed Forces event about "serving Queen and Country", and he was commenting the other week about how he'd hoped things could be different. She seems to have moved on, but I'm not sure about him.

Royal women can certainly be powerful representatives, as Poppy7 said. Camilla's been speaking out about domestic violence. Diana did a lot to change attitudes towards people with AIDS. Eugenie chose her wedding dress to make a point about scoliosis. But everyone's different, and Meghan and Harry have chosen a different path.

But everyone's different, and Meghan and Harry have chosen a different path.

I don't think so. I don't think they have chosen this part, IMHO they wanted to change parts of their life to get rid of public pressure, especially that against Meghan and little Archie...but I don't think that they chose to have to cut all ties.

This thread is about current events and not a place to rehash their reasons for leaving the BRF, or discuss the media. Please stick to the current events.

^ A contemplative Duke, last night.

Duh. It’s strange he is looking outside and not happy. Completely contrast to the red carpet performance earlier in the day.

Picture like this one is a reason most royal couples don’t show PDA in public with exception to few warm moments here and there. It takes the pressure away of always appearing attached to the hip.

There were ppl screaming We love you in other audio.

LaRae

Thanks !

I think some people are happy for Harry and Meghan, some people are unhappy with Harry and Meghan...and a few stray videos here and there won’t prove anything abut how the general public feels

Several posts have been deleted since they were off topic. Please stick to current events.

So unless the Sussexes are smiling at each other constantly they are miserable, tense or angry? All from one odd shot in a car! Actually Meghan seems as if she's looking at something out of the car window on Harry's side trying to make out what it is and Harry is sitting back looking contemplative. He could be thinking about the weather, his supper, Archie or 'Got Church tomorrow with Grannie!'

Thank God nobody ever takes odd photos of me and my husband when we are in the car and looking solemn, thinking of other things. They'd think we were constantly on the brink of divorce!

Reminds me of the constant speculations online about the Cambridges years ago when they were photographed at odd moments. Yes, definitely sad and hating each other!

Last edited:
Reminds me of the constant speculations online about the Cambridges years ago when they were photographed at odd moments. Yes, definitely sad and hating each other!

Or that clip recently from their Mary Berry special. It is easy to take an awkward clip or picture and twist it into a narrative you want... depending on the agenda. But it is not surprising it is happening. It is rather predictable.

Here is hoping there is no awkward body language at the service.

The broadcast said Meghan had met with the ACU earlier in the day. So final round of her patronage visits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom