Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a video of TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex at WE Day today.

Melts my heart to see them so much in love. I'm so pleased for Harry that he's found someone who really loves him. Those boys are the same age as my kids & my heart broke for them when they lost their mother. How proud she'd be of him. Meghan is a treasure.

The Full Speech from The Duke of Sussex: WE Day UK-

Hasn't We Day always been fronted by either or both Beatrice and Eugenie?

Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 -

Yes Beatrice has been involved since 2015, they were both their at the UK event last year. Both girls have been involved in the US events as well. Wonder why a triple royal event wasn’t organised?

Last edited:
Are the York girls even in the country right now?

LaRae

LaRae

I don’t know, Eugenie visited her Bridal display on 28th Feb. That’s more than likely the reason why they didn’t attend, would just have been a lovely family event.

Really nice to see that this was a surprise engagement for the Sussexes and I can imagine it must've been a lot of fun for them! Harry always performs fantastic speeches and today's was no exception.

The Full Speech from The Duke of Sussex: WE Day UK-

Thanks for posting the full speech, Dman. I finally got a chance to sit down and watch it and the closed captioning actually worked great. What a powerful speech Harry gave. He talked of things that matter. He talked of things we have the power to change and wonderfully quoted Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I thought it was touching that he had his wife join him. She's been a good influence on Harry in my book.

Having read many of Meghan's writings and listened to her speeches and interviews, as well as learning in the recent People article that Meghan works with Harry on his speeches, I have no doubt that Meghan helped Harry write this speech. There are so many turns of phrase and concepts that are pure Meghan-centric. Of course, Prince Harry even incorporated his "wife's favorite quote by Martin Luther King, 'Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.'"

Since Meghan had years of experience learning her lines as an actor, she's surely also given Harry tips in that regard. Harry has a great speaking voice and a huge heart, so his personality and passion obviously shine through. The Sussexes are definitely into each other and good for each other, and in turn, great advocates for all that they are passionate about doing in the world.

In a quite wonderful way, Meghan (in her royal role) is still able to speak for herself and for what she believes in as much as possible. In addition to supporting Prince Harry, Meghan is speaking through him too.

A full transcript of the speech is also provided on this blog:
http://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
I agree with you Mia. You made some very good points.

LaRae

Beatrice is usually there. I think Eugenie as well, but Beatrice is more central. One of the driving forces behind WE UK is Big Change, the charity Beatrice helped found with Holly and Sam Branson.

But Beatrice was in NY for a different event. She was a part of a forum which was held simultaneously across 6 countries via the web. She was taking part in NY. I posted some links on her thread.

Eugenie is in the country as far as I can see. But she does have a full time job outside of any charities. It being a weekday, she was likely there.

Thanks for posting the speech, was great to listen to. I do see the influence of Meghan. In either helping with the speech or just her influence on her husband.

I was happy to see Meghan there. I was surprised when Harry attending was announced but Meghan wasn't. This seems right along the lines of the work she has and is doing. Happy to see she was able to make it. It is right along the road of both of their roles they have embraced.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I realize that both Harry and Meghan sent out a very powerful message just in how they presented themselves.

Its been a statement for generations that behind every successful man is a woman. With the speech definitely having Meghan influence to it but with Harry solely giving the speech with elements that encourage working together to make a change, having his wife join him on stage obviously pregnant and the two of them very happy with each other, it shows that its OK for women to want to be family orientated and to believe she has an empowering role supporting her partner behind the scenes and working together as a team. It doesn't detract from being a feminist but rather enhances it. ;)

I've never been much of a royal-watcher until Harry started dating Meghan and, even then, I work so much it's hard to keep up. I've been getting more and more impressed as I've learned more and more about Harry.

But Harry at WE?

WOW. That speech. I'm a SUCH a huge fan now.

And I don't see love in the photo everyone's talking about. I see something better. I see symbiosis, true partnership. I see Meghan in the process of reading Harry's mind. It's as if Fred Astaire had called Ginger Rogers onstage and Ginger knows he's improvising. The eyes say "I'm game for whatever you're up to and, yes, you ARE adorable when you're like this."

And right on cue all the reporting on the speech is negative .

Apparently the Mirror thinks they were acting like celebs during a 'right on speech' and calls Harry a snowflake

The Mail accuses him of being too trendy and heading for a fall (and then in the article criticizes him for quoting MLK)

And right on cue all the reporting on the speech is negative .

Apparently the Mirror thinks they were acting like celebs during a 'right on speech' and calls Harry a snowflake

The Mail accuses him of being too trendy and heading for a fall (and then in the article criticizes him for quoting MLK)

Did you see this? Same author. Same event. But story and headline are altered. So interesting.

I watched Prince Harry's speech. IMO he was great; the whole event was great.

Thanks Rena M. for the video. It is proof Prince Harry gave a speech at the WE DAY 2017 without notes. He is capable of it as we see from this video, and this is when he was still single.

I love his speeches and I give him credit; he is also a good public speaker.

Harry really emotes and puts his passions into his speeches which makes him a joy to listen to. He holds the audience's attention.

Thanks Rena M. from me too. I missed that speech back in 2017. ?

:previous: Yes, he could speak without notes, long before he met Meghan. Look at this

And yet there are those who keep saying he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed. Not everyone who’s not university material is dumb.

I never could understand the logic behind deeming Harry "not so bright" because he didn't excel in studies or go to university. When it comes to talent, Harry has a natural ability (call it a gift if you want) to connect with people. His mother, herself, stated that she was as "thick as a plank" but her talents, like her son's, were elsewhere.

And yet there are those who keep saying he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed. Not everyone who’s not university material is dumb.
There are lots of underachieving gifted children. He could be one of them.

Harry's speech 2016 before meeting Meghan

There are lots of underachieving gifted children. He could be one of them.

I know, my niece is one of them. It’s a pity though too many people think a university diploma is the end all be all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rena M. for the video. It is proof Prince Harry gave a speech at the WE DAY 2017 without notes. He is capable of it as we see from this video, and this is when he was still single.

I love his speeches and I give him credit; he is also a good public speaker.

Agree that Harry is a good speaker and is moving steadily closer to very good/great. But a point of clarity, he wasn’t single when he delivered his WE Day 2017 speech. He was in Toronto for Invictus and days later he and Meghan had their official debut as a couple. And for his Invictus opening ceremony speech, she appeared to be nodding along and chuckled when he stumbled on his French like she’d heard the speech before i.e. he’d run it through with her as practice. So personally, while I don’t believe she’s feeding him his lines and playing Cyrano in the wings, I do think she’s helped make him a better public speaker. And it didn’t just start when they got married.

Harry practices his speeches. If I'm remembering right, we had a picture of Harry on stage practicing his speech in Sydney when the Invictus Games were there last year. One person in the "audience" and that was Meghan.

Meghan's influence is a good thing. Not feeding him lines or directing how his speech goes but as a sounding board, advice offerings and a strong support system. This is a couple that works together in everything they do as a team and with the way they support each other, their individuality also strengthens.

Court Circular 6th March:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex this morning attended WE Day at Wembley Arena, Middlesex, and were received by Miss Mei Sim Lai (Deputy Lieutenant of Greater London).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom