Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 7: September 2016-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And to be completely fair, stumbling over her words has become the exception and not the rule. Victoria Murphy has commented about how much better Kate has become with public speaking.

Last edited:
I agree that Kate is not a natural at public speaking. Meghan and Sophie, for example, are. Beatrice has also improved a great deal over the years. I think if Kate received more coaching, she would be an adequate public speaker. I find she often fades at the end of her sentences which means it can be hard to distinguish her separate thoughts. That is just a matter of training/coaching, in my experience. She has a pleasant voice so tweaks here and there, plus lots of practice, would do leaps and bounds. I have sympathy though for the nerves aspect. Harry was a similarily nervous speaker but is becoming a much more comfortable public speaker, for example, and its clear he sought out coaching (still some work to do though). William I often find mumbles in his speeches too. I struggle to understand him sometimes. Same with Charles. The Queen, while not a dynamic speaker by any means, is a very clear speaker.

To me, the issue with the speech in Dundee by Kate is that it seemed as if she had't looked at it before delivering it. I am sure that isn't the case, but that is just how it came across.

Overall though, I think both these engagements were well done. I was especially pleased with the Michelin engagement. Both handled that topic and the community with empathy. I don't say this often about Kate, but I thought she was especially brilliant on the walkabout and at the worker center. Very dynamic.

Last edited:
In my opinion, most of the royal family have a tendency to swallow their words, with the exception of the Queen, and Catherine certainly follows that trend. That was why I said she fits right in with the family as a whole when it comes to speechifying. I agree that coaching would be worthwhile.

A few years back Maz Foster from CNN interviewed Charles and Camilla. The video was posted here but when Charles was speaking they used subtitles. People were were saying I can’t understand a word he’s saying.

But anyway I’m proud of Kate. It’s not easy but she’s sticking with it.

I think she's made huge strides. The poor thing used to seem utterly terrified anytime she gave a speech. Shoot, even just a few years ago when she sat down and talked about the queen on camera for one of those birthday documentaries, I couldn't help but notice that her voice was shaking like she was terribly afraid of speaking on camera. She's gained an awful lot of confidence and now seems to take these engagements pretty well in stride. But, honestly, I think she's only just now getting to the point where she's shaken off enough of the fear to maybe have enough mental room available for thinking about style and delivery in addition to just getting the words out.

I like hearing from Catherine. Coaching is great, but the real practice comes in at delivering speeches more often. Something she should do. Deliver them in the bathroom mirror first though. Become familiar and comfortable with the text.

Kate definitely needs a coach but I think she has improved a lot. The more she does them the better she will come across because she will be more confident. Speeches will be a big part of her life so it would do her well to continue to be clearer in her speech.

I like the sound of Catherine's voice. She has a nice clipped way of speaking and her voice isn't flat like Diana's. Maybe that's why I'm more critical of her speeches than other members of the BRF, because I'm paying more attention. Once she masters the art of public speaking, I think it will be a joy to hear her. [emoji3]

OT, but the first time I heard the Queen Mother speak I was surprised by how girlish she sounded.

A few years back Maz Foster from CNN interviewed Charles and Camilla. The video was posted here but when Charles was speaking they used subtitles. People were were saying I can’t understand a word he’s saying.

But anyway I’m proud of Kate. It’s not easy but she’s sticking with it.
Hah! I'm an American and subscribe to Britbox. Sometimes I need to turn the closed captions on because I can't understand the thick English accents. But I have the same problem with thick Southern or New York accents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why Catherine should be held to a higher standard than any of the other members of the royal family, including her husband. None of the BRF are scintillating speakers: "workmanlike" and "pedestrian" are the words that come to mind. It's a good thing that their speeches tend to be short, because there is certainly nothing in the delivery by any of them that would keep an audience engaged (or possibly, awake) so making their point and moving on is a good thing.

I think Catherine has improved a lot over the years, and if she needs to read her speeches I don't see that as a big deal, any more than the Queen reading hers is a big deal. Catherine doesn't need to attain professional level delivery to be doing a good enough job.
Personally I feel Kate ought to have upped her game by now after all these years as a royal and all those years before marriage knowing what her future position would entail. Granted, I will admit she has a nice grin when interacting with members of the public. Also, other royals are way ahead in their public speaking skills in comparison (my view). Perhaps more baby steps with a speech coach is needed and that’s fine, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she's made huge strides. The poor thing used to seem utterly terrified anytime she gave a speech. Shoot, even just a few years ago when she sat down and talked about the queen on camera for one of those birthday documentaries, I couldn't help but notice that her voice was shaking like she was terribly afraid of speaking on camera. She's gained an awful lot of confidence and now seems to take these engagements pretty well in stride. But, honestly, I think she's only just now getting to the point where she's shaken off enough of the fear to maybe have enough mental room available for thinking about style and delivery in addition to just getting the words out.

You might be right that this is indeed the right time for Catherine to take some larger steps as she indeed seems much more confident in her role, so hopefully she can carry that over to also improve her public speaking.

We’re excited to continue working with @Place2Be. Together we are @LondonBookFair's ‘Charity of the Year’ & look forward to enriching young people with creative and mental health support 'Healthy Inside and Out' #ChildrensMentalHealthWeek

Via Bafta Twitter

Nice too see Catherine and William’s charities continuing to work together.

Last edited:

“The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will travel to Blackpool on Wednesday 6th March, visiting investment and regeneration projects being overseen by @BpoolCouncil, starting with a visit to the iconic Blackpool Tower.”

“Their Royal Highnesses will learn how the resort is leading the way in tackling some of the social and mental health problems faced by people in Britain today. #RoyalVisitBlackpool”

William and Catherine will visit:
- visit Blackpool Tower where they will join a roundtable briefing about the town’s recent history, the challenges, and the investment and regeneration efforts that are currently underway.
- William and Kate will spend time on ‘Comedy Carpet’ on the promenade. From there, it's Blackpool Central Library where they will join two separate discussions focusing on issues and initiatives of particular relevance to each of their ongoing charitable interests.
- The Duchess will continue her work on early childhood and join people involved in Blackpool’s ‘A Better Start’ programme, including health visitors, practitioners from the Family Nurse Partnership, and parents.
- Finally, the Duke and Duchess will visit Revoe Park, a recently revamped community garden and park that has been transformed. The park had previously been a known location for drug use, in an area of significant deprivation.

Last edited:
Oooh, I do love a surprise engagement and then to see it's two days :D

Nice to see them out on engagements in Northern Ireland.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in Northern Ireland today

Windsor Park, Belfast

Visit to Roscor Youth Village in County Fermanagh

I was wondering why William didn’t have any engagements this week.
I love a surprise royal visit:D

For Day Two in NI William and Kate "will spend the day in Ballymena, meeting with organisations that are working to create a bright future for the next generation." They will begin by meeting privately with officers and staff from the PSNI.

At the Braid Arts Centre, William and Kate will visit the charity Cinemagic, who have used film, television and digital technologies to engage with over 500,000 young people.

Their final engagement of the day will be at Sure Start, a programme that supports parents with children aged under four years old living in disadvantaged areas in Northern Ireland.

Thanks to Duchess Kate for the info!

First engagement today:

First engagement of their second day in NI, the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge met @ChiefConPSNI, police officers & staff at Hillsborough Castle where they discussed the challenging roles they undertake. @PoliceServiceNI

They have arrived at the Braid Arts Centre in Ballymena:

First article:

She's got the blues! Kate pairs navy Jenny Packham dress with £1,735 Mulberry coat as she and William receive a warm welcome from royal fans in Belfast after meeting police chiefs

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in Northern Ireland Day 2

Visit to Empire Music Hall in Belfast.

Visit to Ballymena in County Antrim

I always love watching Catherine and William interact with the crowds, and especially enjoy Kate when she talks to children. It was also interesting to watch their security detail moving through the crowd and watching everything as the Cambridges moved along.

Court Circular 27th February:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon visited the Irish Football Association, National Football Stadium, Windsor Park, Donegall Avenue, Belfast, and were received by Sir Nigel Hamilton (Vice Lord-Lieutenant of the County Borough of Belfast).

Their Royal Highnesses this afternoon visited Extern at Roscor Youth Village, 430 Lough Shore Road, Enniskillen, and were received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of County Fermanagh (the Viscount Brookeborough KG).

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this evening attended a Reception at the Belfast Empire Music Hall, 42 Botanic Avenue, Belfast, and were received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of the County Borough of Belfast (Mrs. Fionnuala-Jay O'Boyle).

Court Circular 28th February:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this morning received representatives from the Police Service of Northern Ireland at Hillsborough Castle.

Their Royal Highnesses later visited Cinemagic, Braid Museum and Arts Centre, 1-29 Bridge Street, Ballymena, and were received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Co Antrim (Mrs Joan Christie).

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon visited Sure Start, St Joseph’s Early Years Centre, Doury Road, Ballymena, and were received by Mr Richard Reade (Vice Lord-Lieutenant of Co Antrim).

Last edited:
It's been great catching up on the Cambridge's visit to Northern Ireland. As usual it's indeed great to see the couple interact with the crowds, especially the children. It seems they took the country by storm!

Here's a video of TRH The Duke and Duchess today in a wet Blackpool

Aren't they great with children & families! It's lovely how they genuinely interact with all ages. Good people with hearts in the right place.

Great to see that despite the rain the show still went on! Catherine and the crowds seemed to have a fantastic time.

Court Circular 6th March:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this morning visited Blackpool Tower, Promenade, Blackpool, and attended a discussion on the challenges and opportunities in the town, and were received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Lancashire (the Lord Shuttleworth KG).

Their Royal Highnesses afterwards visited two properties in Kirby Road, Blackpool, to see the efforts being made to improve the quality of housing in the town.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon attended Roundtable Meetings on community-led programmes at Blackpool Library, Queen Street, Blackpool.

Their Royal Highnesses later visited a Blackpool Better Start programme at Revoe Park, Blackpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom