Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 6: January 2014 - September 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what the royal reporters are so miffed about is that they were totally caught out by this get away - which just goes to show that their so called insider/palace sources/friends of the couple do not exist.
Are the Cambridges really in the Maldives? Who knows. I haven't seen any pictures or other evidence proving it to be so. It would be hilarious if sometime today William or Catherine was spotted out and about somewhere in London.
I also wouldn't put too much stock in the rumour that George is not with them, maybe he's not, but assuming that they took a scheduled flight until we hear from someone on that plane that they were there and a baby was not I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing! Catherine and William could burn Buckingham palace down and people would find an excuse. I'm starting to see why so many have left this forum.

As for George not going with them, I don't find that odd. I know many couples that take the kids to the grandparents, so that they can spend a few days alone somewhere. And as Skippyboo said, their anniversary is right after their 3 week tour, so I see this as an early anniversary trip.

The more I thought about it, the more sense it made to me that they didn't take George with them on this holiday. George has a new nanny and is always used to having his parents around. With mom and dad leaving him with the nanny now, George is able to form a bond with the nanny and get used to mom and dad off somewhere else for extended periods of time.

Amazing! Catherine and William could burn Buckingham palace down and people would find an excuse. I'm starting to see why so many have left this forum.

I'll be pretty upset if they burned down that palace :).

I don't think anyone is making any excuses for the royal couple. William & Catherine also took a vacation to France just before their 2012 Jubilee Tour. I was thinking they would do the same this year. I also understand that they may have wanted to get away and be with each other for a while.

Maybe I'm different and weird but I just can't get upset over the thought of these people taking a little vacation. We all know they have many official engagements coming up when this tour kicks off and there will be official engagements coming up after the tour. So I do support a couple taking a little time to enjoy each other in the sun.

Also, they could find the cure for cancer and people would find a way to criticize them.

Since none of us live their life, or will EVER know anything like it, who are we to judge what they do or do not do. Could it be some are jealous of their ability to take these vacations?

:sad::sad:Who wouldn't want to take a vacation if you could afford it from this rotten cold?

:sad::sad:Who wouldn't want to take a vacation if you could afford it from this rotten cold?

I was just thinking the same thing - the weather over here is cheering up a bit, but you never know when we might experience the cold and wet weather we've been having again. I would love to take a break and escape to the Maldives right now.

Back to William and Catherine, I don't really see a problem with this, because they don't have any royal engagements in their diaries until March 17, so it's not as if they're skipping them just to go on holiday, which is what everyone is making this sound like IMO.

They've got to build up their strength before going on tour next mont. Those 3 engagements she's done this year will have taken a lot out of her. I mean, let them do what they want just don't complain when people call Kate in particular lazy. BTW someone should tell the Queen that Kate's stolen another one of her dresses-LOL!

The interesting thing is, W&C are doing nothing that any other wealthy couple do, maybe THAT is what annoys people. I suspect there are many others who take these vacations and are never noticed simple because they are not as popular in the press. Certainly they are nothing like other families in those circles who seem to travel and vacation CONSTANTLY. Thus far this couple has done nothing flamboyant in terms of travel that should provoke such vitriol from "the masses".

There was a wonderful tweet today - a quote from disraeli

"how much easier it is to be critical than it is to be correct"

These two are not permanently on holiday.
They have only just taken on a nanny so Catherine has been looking after George on her own. (Stir crazy)
They have not cancelled any engagements in order to do this trip
They are not full time royals
This has not cost the Uk any more money than if they had stayed at home.
But they have hissed off the media cos they caught them out.

Angela:
They've got to build up their strength before going on tour next mont. Those 3 engagements she's done this year will have taken a lot out of her. I mean, let them do what they want just don't complain when people call Kate in particular lazy. BTW someone should tell the Queen that Kate's stolen another one of her dresses-LOL!

Are we perhaps a bit jealous of this royal way of life? We don't know what goes on behind closed doors or how much work it is to prepare for a month trip to foreign countries with all the engagements and arrangements to be made.....and a baby on top of it to take care of...W/C seem like hands on parents and don't have nannies and servants coming out of the woodwork to do their bidding......they might be in the position to have money to do as they please (and don't we all wish that, only I don't wish that position of her's for all the money in the world), they live their lives in the eye of constant criticism and it's be damned if you do and be damned if you don't, so there is no pleasing all the people all the time. I wish them well regardless of how many so called vacations, engagements or meetings, or visits..........or whatever. They live their life just like I live mine and I don't need to criticize them for doing what they do................

I find it really sad, that she let her baby at home. He is too little to be without her mom. I can't understand it. I don't think that this vacation was soooo important. Mothers should have other priorities. IMO

I Want to Be In The Maldives With W And C...

...well actually, they're only there for a week I see - not long enough for me really :lol:.
(But then I don't have a baby with - or not with - me.)
I really "tuned in" to the holiday photos from 2013's Mustique holiday - blue seas and palm trees, sunshine and no responsibilities.
And we got to see some actual W and C photos on the beach and in the waves too, which just made it all the more available to us in "general public land".
(This year's Mustique holiday didn't draw my interest as much - just the tarmac shots from the plane transfers - not as much to daydream about.)
For me, these private, high-end jaunts are about the last remaining "otherness" or mystique left.

I'm passed being excited about hairstyles, shoes, hats, evening gowns and earings.
Palaces and staff, paintings and the car always being clean when you get in it - plenty of pluses to the role.
It's being young, and having these top-of-the-range opportunities - that the average onlooker will not - that stires up comment.
Some people manage it after a life-time of work - but youth has gone.
Some people manage it while young - but after fighting tooth and nail to get to the top of the movie-star or pop-singer heap.

We know they're Royal, we know it's their own money and we know most of us are shut out - no matter how clever, good or hard-working we are.
Princess Margaret did the same, and had to wear the consequences.
Her sister sacrificed the balmy days away, and didn't become a target.
I still wish I was there too.
And you could pap me - a small price.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Just Read Report - 45 Villas For Maldives Holiday.

Forget my comment above re "Some people manage it after a life-time of work" -
I've just seen a report where the Duke and Duchess have the forty-five villa resort, where they are staying at in the Maldives, to themselves, (and their security I guess).
This is the "otherness"/mystique thing for me.
Sun Lion.

P.S. I saw a quote in a few places, a day or so ago, where W and C wanted to experience life like Australians - hence the choices on the Royal Tour intinerary.
Why?
Having a whole tropical resort to yourself is better, no?

Prince George Not In Maldives - Yet NZ/Oz Tour Built Around Baby.

Not sure why baby Prince George not with his parents for a week, but the Royal Tour itinerary was said to be structured with him in mind, because he could not stay home in the UK.

Sun Lion.

Not sure why baby Prince George not with his parents for a week, but the Royal Tour itinerary was said to be structured with him in mind, because he could not stay home in the UK.
Exactly - we were told that they couldn't leave him for more than a night or so and now they can leave him for a week.
If they can leave him for a week they can leave him in the UK and come here without putting us to the extra expense of having him here.

She's only going to be gone a week? I don't necessarily admire Kate very much but the idea that when a woman has a baby she should never ever have any time to herself again until the child starts school or something is just wrong, imo.

I remember a horrible furor when Sarah Duchess of York went away to spend time with Prince Andrew when Beatrice was an infant. The finger wagging, abuse, and condemnation in the press and public was shocking and sickening. She was called "unfit mum" and the prediction was that her bond with Beatrice was broken, and that the baby was damaged for life.:bang:

Fast forward 25 years......:whistling:

Last edited:
We were told William's course was 10 weeks but he can take a week off in the middle of it - seems strange to me.
Something appears to be wrong because we are constantly being told one thing and then they do something else.
If the 'trusted advisers' are telling Kate to do nothing but holiday and William not much more then they are not very good at their job. The republicans are having a field day with this pair.

Just a quick question if I may. It has been pointed out that Will and Kate are not full time royals on numerous occasions. So can you please tell me that at 30ish what are they 'full time' at?

Simple answer - nothing.

Kate has never been full-time at anything other than shopping while William did some time in the RAF.

They are the best advertisement for the republicans I have seen in a long time.

My personal view about this trip to the Maldives is that William and Kate have been packed off there for a week together without distractions in the hope that they will spend enough time together to enable the spare to be created before they separate for good.

Except they've taken vacations to far away sunny places for quite a few years now, so I see this as fairly normal for them. They did Christmas with his family, she spent a week w/ her family, he spent 4 days w/ his brother and now they are off on vacation together. I doubt they will be 'trying' for baby 2 on this get away as Catherine had such a bad first trimester last year and she has a higher chance of a recurrence of the problem, thus they won't want her to be in her first trimester on the tour, hard to dash off to throw up while attending all those events. I'm betting they'll wait until after the tour w/ an August or September announcement.
I'm not seeing signs of imminent separation from these two - they were just out w/ friends a couple of nights ago, but I'll be watching the upcoming tour to see if I can spot any signs:)
I sometimes think Charles is a primary driver of how much these two and Harry do and don't take on. I suspect the issues created in his own life by his dedication to duty has caused him to want to protect his children from the mistakes made with (and by) him.

They've got to build up their strength before going on tour next mont. Those 3 engagements she's done this year will have taken a lot out of her. I mean, let them do what they want just don't complain when people call Kate in particular lazy.

I am speechless. 3 engagements and Kate needs a holiday to catch up? Its must be really hard, this royal life.
I wonder what their working subjects think of this, especially new mums who put their kid into nursery after 3 months to get back to work full time.

I'm not seeing signs of imminent separation from these two - they were just out w/ friends a couple of nights ago, but I'll be watching the upcoming tour to see if I can spot any signs:)

I'll be watching the tour very closely to see how they interact. It has been my observation in respect of events over the last couple of years that each of them appears happier at events they attend alone, and that Kate appears far more confident when William is not around. When they are together he seems to neglect her and not provide the sort of support and encouragement I would expect.

Actually I must take issue with one thing Iluvbertie said. I do not agree that Kate is a waste of space. She enabled William to achieve one of his most important duties, i.e. producing an heir.

Last edited:
As cynical as it sounds, I think the Cambridges know full well that any bad publicity generated by their latest holiday in the sun will evaporate soon with the warm fuzzies that will be generated when they take the baby on tour with them Down Under.

It's probably why they felt confident enough to do this(vacation) in the first place...after the first set of photos with the baby practically no one will remember or care.

It's really brilliant strategy, I have to admit.
:cool:

...I just still think there's a balance for these two that's nearly impossible. They have to be good at their jobs while never overshadowing the Queen or Prince Charles and that's not an easy balance to strike. I think that's actually the biggest reason their press exposure is so limited.
I completely agree HRH Hermione that with the Queen, and then Prince Charles to follow, the Cambridges are in Royal terms, down the totem pole.

But of course, they're young, attractive, have a new baby and the media focus on what sells.

They are presented as "a bigger deal" to the world than they would have been when Royalty stayed behind Palace doors, and we didn't even see their weddings, let alone their private comings and goings.

"Not an easy balace" to be sure.

And with the lessons learnt from the turbulent years of the previous decades, when it all went from a fairytale to a soap opera in the private lives of many Royal family members - and worse for us all knowing about it - a constant juggling act to get it "right".

The Duke and Duchess will be subjected to much comment and criticism because - I think - we are in transition in many aspects of society, and those directing things will need to be very savvy to protect what is still a valuable pillar of society.

So easy for respect to be lost, and so hard for it to be retained or regained.

Best Wishes, Sun Lion.

I completely agree HRH Hermione that with the Queen, and then Prince Charles to follow, the Cambridges are in Royal terms, down the totem pole...
Not to mention the fact that there is no real precedence for the position they are in. They are not the next couple in line. Honestly, I think they have a harder role to fill because there is no need for them to work in the family. So far as we know William intends to step up in number engagements as he already has since leaving the military last fall. Kate obviously intends to focus more on George. I don't think she will really increase how much she does too terribly much as I least I wouldn't expect her to.

About not taking George, he is not deprived nor too young for his parents to take a trip as a couple. I actually think it's great they are going, just the two of them. Their marriage is just as important as George. Every couple needs time alone. There is no evidence they are any less of parents or any less hands-on.

On another note, William is taking his class so I'm guessing the class is over. When did the class start? Unless he is able to take time off since he was also able to go hunting with his brother over a weekend.

Also most of you are overreacting. Kate has been on one vacation with her family which is an annual trip so no surprise. William went FOR A WEEKEND with his brother and some friends hunting. Now they are spending time together as I'm sure they haven't had much time together lately. I'm sure this was planning a long time ago hence no engagements so far in March. Plus we don't know what else they've been working on away from the spotlight.

It's not that complicated or big of a deal. Most of the posters complaining always complain about William and Kate so it's not surprising.

Ahhh....thanks. But that won't be happening Roslyn. I'm not supporting these two with my tax dollars but I'd be annoyed as hell if I was. I don't think they are as awful as some of their critics make them out to be, but I do find them extremely overrated.

I'm on your side here.

Classes started in the beginning of January and will finish later this month. According to Richard Palmer, William doesn't have any lectures next week. So he's free to go on vacation without worrying about missing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom