Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: September 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fail to see how it goes both ways? Did we whine about William advocating for male suicide or Kate wanting to champion children? No? Ok, then.

Unfortunately I have seen people whine about those things. There are always complaints about the charities and initiatives that royals choose to champion. I imagine Meghan is aware that she will not please everyone and will do as other royals before her, and just continue on.

This is an excellent initiative for Meghan to get involved with and I applaud the idea of getting a cookbook together. I actually pre-ordered a copy.

It’s nice to see that Meghan has gotten involved with the community. In fact, I’m happy and encouraged to see the work that all the younger royals have done in regards to Grenfell.

I fail to see how it goes both ways? Did we whine about William advocating for male suicide or Kate wanting to champion children? No? Ok, then.

And is the cookbook it? I'd say that's a pretty big project to get the idea, secure the publisher, get everyone together to contribute, work with the photographer throughout the months, and finally putting it all together. Believe it or not, there is a lot of logistics involved in putting out a book.

Clearly since William and Kate have been mentioned 3 or 4 times already today in Meghan’s current events thread, they’re now considered on topic? I know in the past youve been against this sort of thing.

Im not sure if you’re using the royal ‘we’ but yes I lot of people do whine about the Cambridges and their charities.

There probably are a lot of logistics to putting out a book, but Meghan didn’t put out a book. I’m going to stick to the facts and not get caught up in hyperbole.

Perhaps it would be more on target to say that Meghan was instrumental in securing the success this book has had so far. Already sold out in many places. On Amazon's top list in the Food and Drink department and currently the third best selling book in the UK.

It was a joint effort between Meghan and the Hubb Community Kitchen to raise funds. I seriously doubt that Meghan would ever claim authorship or any kind of kudos for its success. Through her, it all came together and the world knew about this book and its selling like proverbial hotcakes. :D

Both Emily Nash and Omid reported on her helping securing a publisher. The royal correspondents typically do get more background information than we do and they have passed them along at times (Omid also posted a behind the scene video if anyone is interested). As for it being her idea, it was clearly stated by one of the women in the beginning, Meghan asked why they only run two days a week, and she told Meghan "funding", and Meghan responded with a cookbook. One of the women even initially dismissed it because she didn't think it was possible. I also read from one of the reporters that she worked with the photographer closely for months. I'll eventually find it, but I'm running late right now and can't remember off the top of my head.

Clearly since William and Kate have been mentioned 3 or 4 times already today in Meghan’s current events thread, they’re now considered on topic? I know in the past youve been against this sort of thing.

Im not sure if you’re using the royal ‘we’ but yes I lot of people do whine about the Cambridges and their charities.

There probably are a lot of logistics to putting out a book, but Meghan didn’t put out a book. I’m going to stick to the facts and not get caught up in hyperbole.

I've not been against using precedence. I'm just against using one to put down the other. That's the difference between us here. I'm actually not trying to put anyone down, imagine that.

I've not whined about Cambridge and their charities, and I don't believe the specific poster you were talking to whined about them only supporting children or men. Nor was the nitpicking going both ways applicable in that specific post.

And the fact is Meghan did more than writing a foreword.

Last edited:
Fact is: this is the culture of the people who lived in the Grenfell Tower and who nearly died in the fire. If cooking for them is the women's job (plus bringing the kids and supervise them) then that's the way it is. If the tower was lived in by "normal brits", then surely their community would look different, but I'm sure it would get supported too by Meghan. It's all about that in times of need, you stick together and help each other and thus create a future for all of you to live in.

Keeps me wondering if the idea to invi8te people from their charities to the wedding venue at Windsor castle was not based on this experience of "coming together".
Nice one, Duchess!

I have no issue with it being Meghan’s ‘idea’. The Hubb kitchen was where she wanted to make her introduction to royal life. The kitchen is underfunded. How can we raise money for a kitchen... I know how about a cookbook. It’s not exactly a eureka moment is what I’m saying.

The recipes aren’t hers. I’m not sure what working with photographer for months mean either. Surely he’s a professional photographer. The pics look very cookbook-ish

None of that translate into Meghan ‘putting out’ a cookbook. At least not by my way of thinking.

I’ve said Grenfell Towers is a good cause. I’ve said it’s a good first step Meghan. The royal family have been active with this since the fire last year.

William just made an appearance on BBC 1 last week for Grenfell Towers.

I understand where Rudolph is coming from, but, looking at the photos of these women, most of them seem to come from cultures where gender roles are more strictly enforced. We could have an endlessly long discussion on how that’s sexist, but it’s no more sexist than mens clubs. I bet most of these women feel better/safer/more comfortable without strange men running around.
As for Williams’ support mens suicide charities, I quite certain there is less support for men with mental health problems than for women. Just like rape support tends to focuse on women and not men... unfortunately.

As for Williams’ support mens suicide charities, I quite certain there is less support for men with mental health problems than for women. Just like rape support tends to focuse on women and not men... unfortunately.

Suicide is the leading cause off death in the U.K. for men under 45. Not cancer, not car crashes, suicide.

I have no issue with it being Meghan’s ‘idea’. The Hubb kitchen was where she wanted to make her introduction to royal life. The kitchen is underfunded. How can we raise money for a kitchen... I know how about a cookbook. It’s not exactly a eureka moment is what I’m saying.

The recipes aren’t hers. I’m not sure what working with photographer for months mean either. Surely he’s a professional photographer. The pics look very cookbook-ish

None of that translate into Meghan ‘putting out’ a cookbook. At least not by my way of thinking.

I’ve said Grenfell Towers is a good cause. I’ve said it’s a good first step Meghan. The royal family have been active with this since the fire last year.

William just made an appearance on BBC 1 last week for Grenfell Towers.

When I talked about putting out a book, I did so in general terms. I was very clear in the steps, which is putting it together. And that is very instrumental. Again, my point is is that this book is far more than just writing a foreword and you choose to describe it as earlier.

Nowhere did I, or anyone else, in this thread said they were her recipes.

I understand where Rudolph is coming from, but, looking at the photos of these women, most of them seem to come from cultures where gender roles are more strictly enforced. We could have an endlessly long discussion on how that’s sexist, but it’s no more sexist than mens clubs. I bet most of these women feel better/safer/more comfortable without strange men running around.

To add to the cultural implications, Meghan has been very well aware and sensitive to the cultural aspect in her advocacy for gender equality. However, just because this book is about women cooking together, it doesn't mean we are stereotyping women a certain way. Helping them put something like this together and having the funds to expand their work is empowering women and allowing them the chance to do what they want to do. Even if men were in the kitchen.

Last edited:
Because it is not said enough I think that all Four have stepped up to the plate regarding Grenfell Towers. The entire world watched this tragedy occur. This tragedy occurred in their backyard so they fact that they are heavily involved in the rebuilding of a community should be acknowledged!

I am impressed by what Meghan has done is such a short amount of time. Between getting engaged, moving to a new country, dealing with a hostile press, dealing with family backed by a hostile press, get married, learn her new position, deal with protocol police, deal with the fashion police....all that and she was able to connect with the community and create a full blown cookbook! I'm very impressed and look forward to what the FOUR will do next.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celeb...ll-tower-fire-together-cookbook-solo-project/

The Duchess—who had a hand in the book’s creative process, including bringing on British travel and food photographer Jenny Zarins to capture beautiful images for the title at a Kensington Palace kitchen—shares what inspires her about the community project in the book's foreword. “The kitchen buzzes with women of all ages; women who have lived and seen life; laughing, chatting, sharing a cup of tea and a story, while children play on the floor or are rocked to sleep in their strollers,” she writes.

So the pics aren’t actually from the Hubb Community Kitchen? They’re stylised facsimiles from KP?

One other thing I noticed as well. It’s too bad the name of the actual charity didn’t make it on to the front cover. If I noticed this in a bookstore I wouldn’t know what it’s about other than a forward by Meghan

Awesome, heartwarming initiative. I´m not necessarily a fan of cooking, but the food really does look delicious and the victims of the Grenfell Fire deserve all the support, and then some more.

So the pics aren’t actually from the Hubb Community Kitchen? They’re stylised facsimiles from KP?

One other thing I noticed as well. It’s too bad the name of the actual charity didn’t make it on to the front cover. If I noticed this in a bookstore I wouldn’t know what it’s about other than a forward by Meghan

stylized facsimiles? Every cook book is centered around stylized pics with editing and stuff behind them. I am not sure what is unusual about that?

And the food was presumably made by the women of the Hubb for the purposes of being photographed in the book/on the front cover. I think its very cool that Meghan opened up KP's kitchen for this purpose.

From Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michel...t-big-charity-effort-a-cookbook/#273ee5bd33bc

The book can be considered a publishing coup for Penguin Random House. The project was kept under very tight wraps, getting no notice in a season that is filled with new cookbooks, which normally are mailed to reviewers months in advance in order to generate attention.

stylized facsimiles? Every cook book is centered around stylized pics with editing and stuff behind them. I am not sure what is unusual about that?

And the food was presumably made by the women of the Hubb for the purposes of being photographed in the book/on the front cover. I think its very cool that Meghan opened up KP's kitchen for this purpose.

I believe professional chefs put it together, but it's made with the women's recipes. This isn't surprising given that this is a professionally put together cookbook in every sense of the word. This isn't some random book that people just slapped together. All of the cookbooks that I've seen and bought have professional editing as well as placements. It never looks quite as good (not a direct reflection to taste :lol:) when I make it at home because I'm not a professional chef with a degree in culinary arts. Neither are these women. Their role in this is to provide the recipes and their stories (content) and others will do the packaging.

Last edited:
Good grief...can we not just appreciate her attempt to help these folks with a fundraiser? Does it have to be turned into a feminist/sexist, why aren't men there, she's taking too much credit, it's not really her recipes, they aren't really cooking at the location etc etc etc.

She's trying to help folks within that community in a way that blends her interests and their culture. She's not just sending them a check.

LaRae

Well, well, well, it's now unavailable on Amazon in US. Presumably sold out? At least their allotted amount for this batch.

It's currently #4 in bestseller for overall books on US Amazon. It overtook Chrissy Teigen's cookbook and Skinnytaste as #1 in cookbooks overall.

Last edited:
Yup, its now sold out on Amazon US, which is MAJOR. What an amazing feat for this community!

Amazing how quick it has sold out without any forward advance to the media. This was just KP dropping the mixtape on social media.

Just checked my Amazon here in the US and the book is currently unavailable.

Wouldn't it be a wonderful celebration if when Meghan hosts the reception for the release of this book that they can claim that the first printing has been sold out and they need more to meet the supply and demand.

This is generating a lot more interest than they ever thought was possible. :D

Just checked my Amazon here in the US and the book is currently unavailable.

Wouldn't it be a wonderful celebration if when Meghan hosts the reception for the release of this book that they can claim that the first printing has been sold out and they need more to meet the supply and demand.

This is generating a lot more interest than they ever thought was possible. :D

It's sold out in at least four countries, and it's only been a day. I wonder which countries will make it to Thursday. :lol:

BTW, it's number 1 cookbook and number 2 overall book in Canada. For our friends in Canada that are interested. Some complained on Twitter that they can't find it on Amazon Canada.

https://www.amazon.ca/Untitled-1740...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8Y34NCDTSXEFTJBYYNE6

Last edited:
Hmmm my Amazon is still showing it's able to be pre-ordered.

LaRae

Honestly when I saw this, it brought a smile to my face. This must be the project people said she was working on. And I was wondering if she would be able to transfer her interests into her new role. Which I admit I focused on acting. I'd forgotten that Meghan also enjoys food and cooking.

Also, this is my idea of what a royal can do to help people. (This is not me comparing her to other royals or saying they don't do this as well) Letting them help themselves and just using her name to lend some publicity. I mean, I know she did more than that. Just that getting a cookbook started will get their recipes out there, and even though it might not have happened without her, these women can also feel a sense of accomplishment. If this ramble makes any sense.

Good grief...can we not just appreciate her attempt to help these folks with a fundraiser? Does it have to be turned into a feminist/sexist, why aren't men there, she's taking too much credit, it's not really her recipes, they aren't really cooking at the location etc etc etc.

She's trying to help folks within that community in a way that blends her interests and their culture. She's not just sending them a check.

LaRae

Well said LaRae!

When I viewed the book on Amazon it was still available, I didn't order it because I don't particularly care for that region of food. Still, its a great cause and it will help the Grenfell community. And at the end of the day, isn't that what matters most?

It seems like Meghan more than gave the foreword--she thought of the cookbook and seem to have acted as editor. A cookbook sounds like a simple idea but then again, nobody seems to have thought of it before and it's only with Meghan and full royal support that the Hubb Community Kitchen is now making money. The best part of it is, the community is making money from sharing what these women know and not from random donations nor from celebrity concerts which, helpful as they may be, would never be as empowering as an initiative such as this that directly involves and capacitates those that benefit. Plus, cookbooks are usually not one-off deals, there's so many possibilities--succeeding volumes, cultural holiday editions, collaborations. Sometimes simple but sustainable ideas turn out to be the best. Most important, and which is why I love initiatives like these--I can't imagine how proud these women must be to have their own recipes included, on print, and to be read by people all over the world! That sense of self accomplishment, of having been directly involved in coming up with the book that benefits their community after such as tragedy is perhaps more priceless than helping out the kitchen itself. I hope they enjoy the next few months as contributors to a bestselling book!

Thanks Zonk! I generally like various ethnic foods so I'm sure I'll try some of the recipes (assuming I can get the ingredients here in the midwest)!

Jacqui that must be it....I'm just glad I can get it!

LaRae

I was wracking my brain all day about ‘Hubb’ because I was sure I’d heard the name before, then Gert tweeted this out:

Duchess Meghan is not 1st Royal to support Al-Manaar, The Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre, where the Hubb Community Kitchen is located.
Last year, William & Harry visited the centre to meet w/ volunteers.
Al-Manaar was one of the first centres to respond to the #Grenfell fire.

They actually set up & funded Support 4 Grenfell Community Hub as a home for charities helping people affected by the fire. support4grenfell.com

Via Gert’s Royals Twitter

Support 4 Grenfell involves two of Kate’s charities. Place2Be and The Art Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom