Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: September 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a single member of the regular royal press pack (those reporters who are identified as the royal correspondent by their newspaper, get invited to pre-tour receptions, go on tour, and form the royal rota) has written about Meghan Crossing Her Legs.
(If you're interested:
  • for People, it was Brittany Talarico, their style editor
  • for the Express, it was Holly Pyne, who writes about forest fires, bitcoin, weather and the pound sterling
  • for the Daily Mail, it was Caitlyn Hit, who usually writes about the Kris and Caitlyn Jenner and Martha Cliff, whose recent stories include "Mother who nurses 5 year old" and "pink jumpsuit looks different than the one ordered"
  • For the Sun, it was Rebecca Flood and Becky Pemberton
  • For the Daily Star, it was Simon Green
  • for the Telegraph, it was Shane Watson
)

As far as I can tell, one regular royal reporter complained about access. And she isn't even the royal correspondent for one of the dreaded tabloids (she's with Sky News). The RCs for the Mail on Sunday, Express, Sun, DM, and Telegraph were uniformly positive about it on Twitter.

I don't think it's doing Meghan any favours to construct a narrative that the royal reporters are out to get her.

Thanks for than info hel. The discussion may have headed in that direction. (I did note that Palmer and English have said nothing, as indeed there was nothing to say!

I’m still not understanding why they are upset if this is simply about access. They’ll end up getting about the same access as others, but KP and Meghan just decided they wanted that initial narrative to be set right. They’ll have the royal event to launch.

Rhiannon’s point about royals remain relevant through traditional media might resonate if the word doesn’t go beyond Twitter. But obviously it did. They report what is in demand and draws ratings/clicks. If something doesn’t, they still won’t give it the attention. I fail to understand what kind of “rigour” they expected to put this through as Rhiannon talked about in her piece.

I don’t think that’s how they’ll handle everything from now on, but I do think it was important for them to set the message right with the first project and give the women their voice in this project. I have serious doubt that’s the way the clips from media would’ve played given the lack of interest from some, which includes Rhiannon here as much as it saddens me to say, to ask more questions of the women. There are some that have gone to different places to cover it better. There are additional comments from the women in the Harpers Bazaar article and others have done the work to expand on a couple of the women’s personal story, which I was very proud of them for doing. Forbes article also went into a good amount of details.

Like I said earlier, they have the resources and people willing to talk on record to do some in depth coverage beyond what KP put out on Twitter. It’s a matter of if they want to or if they want to get their nose out of joint because they didn’t see this coming.

Last edited:
I think Rhiannon had a bad take on a good point. The title "Meghan needs to face the media to win over the doubters" should actually be "KP press office needs to work with independent media to effectively promote the royals work"

I have previously commented on how brilliant I thought the surprise roll out of the book was and the use of social media was a phenomenal and effective strategy that created a lot of excitement and was a refreshing change from the usual palace PR.

I do agree that Rhiannon does pile on Meghan and her previous article about Meghan's moral compass was unfair but in this case Meghan's name is caught up with this article because Meghan is the only royal that has ever made such a big surprise project announcement.

Chris ship made these comments on twitter regarding this issues on twitter:

"Be calm in your response. No one wants to ‘shove cameras’ in anyone’s faces. Rhiannon was accurately making the point that independent journalists were not allowed a) in the kitchen, or, b) to speak to those who cook there, other than one chosen in advance by the Palace"

"Is not purely about access. It depends if you want your media to be independent. Or reliant on handouts"

Royals are more similar to politicians than celebrities. Their projects should be scrutinized by the independent press (Their projects and their work; not their personal life )

I think this entire conversation could have been avoided if right after or just before the surprise announcement the press was also given extra information or more in-depth insight or access about the work not just the same info shared with the public.

This would have been an effective way to both make a surprise social media announcement but also give the press more information than just what was shared with the public so they can share more information and insight with their audience than simply what was put up on twitter. (Essentially if you are not giving the press an exclusive you have to at least give them something extra than what was just sent out to everyone)

The major difference between the audience of traditional press and social media is social media is catered towards an already established audience (royal followers) while traditional media is a wide range of people who are not just royal followers.

It is important to promote and reach both audiences the established followers and the average person.

This is the first time something like this has happened so there will be an adjustment period for both the press and the palace and a learning curve on how to use the advantages of different platforms to effectively promote and reach as wide a range of audience as possible.

Last edited:
While Rhiannon doesn’t fall into the protocol police category, she did have an article about Thomas Markle that was pretty disappointing this summer. Claiming she wants to know more about Meghan (things that motivates her, etc) to justify Thomas Markle’s action and the press coverage of it was pretty unsettling when it’s clearly a 70 year throwing temper tantrums bc he’s not getting his way with everything.

As for if she wants more information from Al Manaar or KP. I would think there might be some sensitivity to the women in terms of offering one on one interviews. They’ve been through a lot. And quite frankly while there are a lot of people that supports them, they’ve also faced a lot of unfair and vile comments. There is also the question of if they are comfortable with it. They’ve obviously gotten to know Meghan and it seems the camera crew also went multiple times for a 3 minute clip.

There is always the option of submitting questions to KP if they have specific questions. But Rhiannon’s piece made it sound like nothing short of an interview with Meghan would satisfy it. And given the fact that she only married into the family in May, it’s not a surprise that’s not happening yet.

I think everything about how Meghan will work and how soon she will take this on is throwing them for a loop. Most royal reporter always thought her first solo engagement will be during the tour. None of them saw any of this coming. Which is what’s putting them on high alert. And that’s what this is about. They need to feel safe again so to speak. We only found out she’s working on a project from Bryony Gordon on the wedding day. And no one knew before or since then what it is. No one knew she was making regular visits to Al Manaar. There has been exactly one scoop on this by Victoria Murphy, formerly of the Mirror, back in February about her private visit to Grenfell victims. So they could’ve caught some wind if they paid attention. But they didn’t. They probably didn’t think much would happen before the tour as it’s pretty early on. This wasn’t just kept to a close circle of few. There was a good number of people that knew about it. They just didn’t think to follow up and look because they are used to doing things the same way over and over again. Instead of focusing on giving someone that was irrationally lashing out this summer, how about some investigative and in depth journalism about the work that’s been going on behind the scenes? Clearly there was a lot of it.

They aren’t upset KP fed them the information that’s on Twitter because they clearly had more information based on everything that’s been reported by the royal reporters. They are upset they weren’t fed earlier.

At the end of the day, KP and Meghan launched this the best way to maximize the impact for the book. It’s unexpected both in the way it was released and in the content. Reality proved their decision was a good one for the initiative. If the royal press doesn’t like that it doesn’t follow a formula that works for them, well then perhaps they should understand there is more than one way to do things.

Last edited:
Royals are more similar to politicians than celebrities. Their projects should be scrutinized by the independent press (Their projects and their work; not their personal life )

I think this entire conversation could have been avoided if right after or just before the surprise announcement the press was also given extra information or more in-depth insight or access about the work not just the same info shared with the public.
The thing is when it comes to all things Meghan and the work she has done since arriving in this country, KP have used and did go down the usual traditional route. But overall the British media or MAJOR parts of it to say the least have shown themselves incapable of being objective when reporting on her. They seem determined to minimise her any which way. The rampant ‘ism’s were called out so now they’re reduced to choking her with ‘faux protocol policing’, freaky sideshow relatives or other spiteful tactics like obsessions with her clothes/pricing (in ways they never do with others like Sophie, Kate et al). Sometimes I honestly think certain people find it ever so easy to forget she’s a human being, too, with feelings and emotions.

Well, so far and in spite of all this The DoS’ pull has proven to be far reaching, way beyond the British isles. And if the local misreporting continues the way it is then perhaps H&M will have to rely on international media sources to act responsibly and get their message across. Chickens do come home to roost as the saying goes.

And I entirely disagree with the notion that the royals are similar to politicians and should be treated thus. Isn’t it strange how Meghan is the one royal bride in recent times certain British reporters advocate this treatment for...

Last edited:

This would have been an effective way to both make a surprise social media announcement but also give the press more information than just what was shared with the public so they can share more information and insight with their audience than simply what was put up on twitter. (Essentially if you are not giving the press an exclusive you have to at least give them something extra than what was just sent out to everyone

I agree with this. You can still involve the media and have a ‘surprise announcement’. You just have an embargo.

The media is brought in and briefed. They’re given access to the people involved. They can do some background work. Do some analysis. Then come launch day, the media has its own information to share with its viewers and readership.

Rhiannon’s complaint was newsrooms were left replaying what was basically a commercial for the book. Retweeting KP’s own tweets.

10 out of ten for the Ladies at the Hubb Community centre.
10 out of ten for Meghan for releasing the information the way she did.
In a world with so many natural disasters happening, hurricanes, typhoons, earthquakes droughts etc. It is really nice to a get a good news story.
And 10 out of ten for getting right up the noses of certain media folk, who are too snooty for words.

The media has always done this. Its not new. They complain and say they want more access to members of the royal family & they always go for the newest addition to the family to try "justify" their points. They did they same with Catherine when she was living in Wales. They then shifted to the children, saying they dont get enough access & they dont want the pics being released by KP. They even complained that Catherine should not be taking the pics but a professional. When there was that mental health blog take over with with Huffpost the media was pissed & barely reported on it to show their anger.

Now they have moved onto Meghan. This is same recycled "access" story they have written for the past 10 years and they have changed the person they are complaining about to Meghan. She still is working on building her role as a royal & this is when they start with the complaining. The whole "video" thing is not new to Meghan, KP has used it a lot for projects, so this whinning is just pointless.

This is the same song & dance. I would understand their point if they actually were trying to report on the causes that the royals they are reporting about are highlighting. Even with access, what they end up focusing on is the clothes & some throw away comment about maybe the spouse, pet or children. Most of us have been complaining about their reporting for years but they say focusing on the charities "does not sell". So they write about clothes and at the end of the year tell us the cost of a royals wardrobe. So expext a "cost of" articles about Meghans tour outfits and another one at the end of the year likely comparing her to Catherine and the European ladies.

Im short, these journalists can cry me a river cause what they want is not info on charities but some random story that will get their sites traffic. So many royals dont get coverage cause the "dont sell" and thats all they want.

Meghan in my view needs to stand her ground & stay focused on her charities and her plans for the future.

Last edited:
I'm confused, really. So the media had access to interview some ladies, but only the ones chosen in advance. What on earth is wrong with this? Not all ladies wished to be interviewed. And they didn't have access to the kitchen? Isn't this pretty normal way to do things? Press clearly had more info than the public when this became public knowledge. That's why they're able to print the stories they have. The press just didn't have advance knowledge, their 'insiders' gave them no scoop.

I simply don't get what Rhiannon is whining about. To me it sounds like the 'We need to interview Thomas Snr in order to get insight into Meghan, about her moral compass, what thrives her.' When NOTHING Thomas Snr said gave insight into Meghan, and there are tens and tens of pre-existing interviews, articles, projects etc from Meghan herself, that would've answered all of that.

There are pics of The Queen, The Princess Royal, Camilla, Kate and I think Sophie all sitting at events with their legs crossed so someone really needs to inform those ladies of their error.

LaRae

Of course it's all hogwosh, but my fave of all will be the mouthbreathers policing Meghan with Anne sitting a couple seat to her left, crossing her legs in the same manner. haha

Back on topic, while hel makes a very interesting and worthwhile point, I think it just further highlights the disjointedness that currently exist in media. Certainly in the British one. Because while xy may moan and whine that *they* can conduct themselves professionally and cooperate knowing that they would more than benefit from a more than symbiotic relationship with the RF - the rest of their colleagues and managing editors ARE NOT present for these meetings and have a very different 'line of attack' in mind = generating clicks/revenue.

Take Rebecca English for example - she has a pretty good record as a respectful RR but the tabloid she chooses to work for is more then disgusting and vile and makes the sane people in this country ashamed to be associated with at as an English paper. People hoped that with Dacre gone that it could perhaps rehabilitate itself to some degree,but we all quickly had to accept that a poisoned seed can poison the entire tree if not removed quickly enough. Now Rebecca is often seen lashing out at people over SM saying that she didn't write this and that - along the lines that she is better than that. Well, though luck.

I always thought that RR ought to be independent, freelance journalists and not be affiliated with one specific paper. It not only creates a very hostile environment in the long run, but also builds mutual resentment. Proof? Look at the freelance RRs. There is a *marked* difference in how they carry themselves these days vs paper affiliated RRs.

TL;RD= One of our biggest issues is how RR are managed. An RR might understand the role they play and value the cooperation and good, respectful relationship with the RF, the editors and online colleagues very clearly might not though. If you are the RR of a the Daily Mail, for example, you are going to have to understand that the you not only represent the DM, BUT also that the Fail and it's decisions and actions represent you.

Last edited:
Of course it's all hogwosh, but my fave of all will be the mouthbreathers policing Meghan with Anne sitting a couple seat to her left, crossing her legs in the same manner. haha

I know! Can't see the forrest for the trees they are so bent on finding these 'protocol errors'.

LaRae

Okay, I think we've all said our piece on the media now. Let's move on and focus on Meghan's actual events.

I'm confused, really. So the media had access to interview some ladies, but only the ones chosen in advance. What on earth is wrong with this? Not all ladies wished to be interviewed. And they didn't have access to the kitchen? Isn't this pretty normal way to do things? Press clearly had more info than the public when this became public knowledge. That's why they're able to print the stories they have. The press just didn't have advance knowledge, their 'insiders' gave them no scoop.

Regarding the part I put in bold, a thought hit me about the kitchen and even in my befuddled, still working on my first cup of coffee state, to me it makes sense.

Upthread there was discussions how Meghan opened the KP kitchen to prepare the food and have the professional photographers there to take the pictures for the cookbook. At first, this did seem to me to be a bit odd but when I think about it, it makes sense and also makes sense just why the press wouldn't have been given access to the Hubb kitchen itself.

This is a community project that is in dire need of funds in order to stay open and stay open on a more continual basis than it is now. It stands to reason that when it *is* open, the prime focus is to cook the food and feed the people. With the way things were done, nothing interfered with the times the kitchen was open.

This cookbook was produced in a non invasive manner so that the operations of the kitchen were able to do what they do best undisturbed. These people that have been through Grenfell Tower inferno that depend on the kitchen for their daily bread didn't need to run into press reporters and flashbulbs popping off in their faces. Is it also possible that most of the behind the scenes with the women themselves were done over at KP in the kitchens there? We're talking the same neighborhood just about where the Hubb Kitchen and KP are just about.

Last edited:
10 out of ten for the Ladies at the Hubb Community centre.
10 out of ten for Meghan for releasing the information the way she did.
In a world with so many natural disasters happening, hurricanes, typhoons, earthquakes droughts etc. It is really nice to a get a good news story.
And 10 out of ten for getting right up the noses of certain media folk, who are too snooty for words.

10 out of ten for your post :flowers:
It's wonderful project. With all of the negative headlines dominating the news these days, it's so nice to read something positive. Make me smile :heart1:

I do agree that despite what issues members of the media do have with the launch we cannot let conversation about press vs the palace dominate the conversation around this book and undermine what an absolutely wonderful initiative and highlight the work of incredible women.

This was a great first project and it makes me more excited to see what Meghan does in the future.

Last edited:
Does Kensington Palace have its own set of kitchens in which to prepare the food tomorrow? I know the apartments have them of course, and Apartment 1A certainly has a large kitchen for preparing banquets etc but are there any anywhere else?

I would imagine that with having the state rooms at KP that are available to public organizations that hold events and receptions there, there would have to be a pretty up to date, well equipped kitchen for chefs to work in and prepare the food for these events.

In my mind, this is what I pictured them using to create the food and the photographs that are in the cookbook. As it was within the grounds of KP itself, it was far easier to do all of this without anybody catching on that something is up. ;)

Then again, my mind isn't always that dependable y'know. :D

I think it's very dependable, Osipi. Thankyou. I actually forgot that you could hire rooms for functions at KP, so my mind is disintegrating fast!

This cookbook was produced in a non invasive manner so that the operations of the kitchen were able to do what they do best undisturbed. These people that have been through Grenfell Tower inferno that depend on the kitchen for their daily bread didn't need to run into press reporters and flashbulbs popping off in their faces. Is it also possible that most of the behind the scenes with the women themselves were done over at KP in the kitchens there? We're talking the same neighborhood just about where the Hubb Kitchen and KP are just about.

I think some of the food photography for the cookbook was done at KP but the video seemed to be produced at Hubb...tight quarters, kids running around in the background. That felt authentic to the community kitchen.

I'll be interested to see what elements of Thursday's launch party are also unique to Meghan's approach. Hearing that she and the women of Hubb are going to prepare the meal at KP was a stunner. Even seemed to shock the DM reporter who mentioned it. I'd love to see Meghan replicate the family/community dinner they have at Hubb. Bring that warmth and fellowship (and sense of togetherness :D) to KP. For me, that looks like business casual attire instead of more formal evening wear. It's a "family" dinner. Plus, H&M's extended family would be included. That would leave room for an appearance from Doria, but I'd also love to see other family members living at KP there. If W&K or Eugenie & Jack attend it would be a big PR win, but also in keeping with the spirit of the community kitchen.

The clothes are the least important part of that picture for me, but the rest...that would be HUGE!

There was another fourm where I saw the discussion of family being included among the guest for this event.

Having too many family members might take the focus away from the women of the organization. For example if both William and Kate attend along with Harry the headlines will become about the fab four.

If only one other member of the family attends along with Harry for example Doria. It could help highlight the theme of how cooking and sharing the meals with families brings everyone together.

Meghan's Grenfell recipe book rockets to the top of Amazon's bestseller list BEFORE it's even released - bumping JK Rowling off the number one spot

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ipe-book-rockets-Amazons-bestseller-list.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would Doria attend an event with Meghan? This book isn’t supposed to even be about Meghan, let alone her mother.

The focus should be squarely on Grenfell Towers and Hubb kitchen. It’s not supposed to be a Meghan vanity project.

I think some of the food photography for the cookbook was done at KP but the video seemed to be produced at Hubb...tight quarters, kids running around in the background. That felt authentic to the community kitchen.

I'll be interested to see what elements of Thursday's launch party are also unique to Meghan's approach. Hearing that she and the women of Hubb are going to prepare the meal at KP was a stunner. Even seemed to shock the DM reporter who mentioned it. I'd love to see Meghan replicate the family/community dinner they have at Hubb. Bring that warmth and fellowship (and sense of togetherness :D) to KP. For me, that looks like business casual attire instead of more formal evening wear. It's a "family" dinner. Plus, H&M's extended family would be included. That would leave room for an appearance from Doria, but I'd also love to see other family members living at KP there. If W&K or Eugenie & Jack attend it would be a big PR win, but also in keeping with the spirit of the community kitchen.

The clothes are the least important part of that picture for me, but the rest...that would be HUGE!

This is only article I've seen that come close to what you are talking about.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...ars-kisses-Meghans-secret-trips-Grenfell.html

This part in particular:

"Few can recall the last time a prince or princess was down in a palace kitchen, sleeves rolled up. In due course, many more traditional patronages will follow.

But many years hence, historians will record that the first cause espoused by the House of Windsor's first American princess was a community kitchen underneath the A40.
"

I think Meghan opening up the Palace kitchen and the palace itself to the members of the community is brilliant and I hope we get more articles that focus on how extraordinary it is.

Last edited:
Fros yes that's the article and section that I was referencing. I just didn't want to include the link to the DM. But, other articles have also mentioned that Meghan is helping the Hubb women prepare the meal.

Why would Doria attend an event with Meghan? This book isn’t supposed to even be about Meghan, let alone her mother.

The focus should be squarely on Grenfell Towers and Hubb kitchen. It’s not supposed to be a Meghan vanity project.

This cookbook launch is Meghan's 1st project and the culmination of a lot of hard work by her and the Hubb women. Often your family and people that are important to you will turnout to support you on such an occasion. For example, many members of the BRF came to the London Invictus to support Harry's first games. They managed to do this while maintaining a focus on the athletes. Likewise, I imagine H&M and the Hubb women could include some members of their families at this event and do the same. I wouldn't expect this to happen at every ribbon cutting but if this event is fashioned as a community dinner, it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Does Doria attending make this a "Meghan vanity project" or do you have the same concerns if the other members of H&M's family that I mentioned attend?

Last edited:
Does Doria attending make this a "Meghan vanity project" or do you have the same concerns if the other members of H&M's family that I mentioned attend?

I would, but there’s not going to any of Harry’s family. Why would there be any of his family in attendance? So Doria Ragland attending would be quite bizarre. Not to mention, she’d be torn to shreds in the press.

Meghan is no longer a civilian. It’s not like at Pippa Middleton’s book launch, where she invited her parents, but Kate didn’t attend.

What a wonderful event for Meghan's mom to attend, afterall it is about community and building community. I'm sure that should she attend it will be in a simple and quiet manner. Cannot wait! another news paper says the Cambridges might attend but I'll believe that when it happens.

The Meghan Effect? Goooooo Meghan!!;)

The more $$ raised for Grenfell the better!?

Quite an accomplishment considering the lack of direct promotion. It is mainly via social media which started with a tweet from KP.

I suspect that social media will be a great platform for Meghan, while the more traditional methods are a better fit for other royals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doria attending would be lovely. Family supports you when you do good things. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I am excited to see if Doria attends. IMO it’s a lovely way to include her beloved mom in her new life and matches what we know of Doria who Meghan credits with inspiring her love of food. This book is about a community becoming a family through food, so perfect event for Doria to support.

I would, but there’s not going to any of Harry’s family. Why would there be any of his family in attendance? So Doria Ragland attending would be quite bizarre. Not to mention, she’d be torn to shreds in the press.

Meghan is no longer a civilian. It’s not like at Pippa Middleton’s book launch, where she invited her parents, but Kate didn’t attend.

That’s not true, Rudolph. If there’s plans for, Doria, to attend it would be perfectly fine. Camilla always attends Tom’s book launches.

At this point, I think the only confirmed guests are Harry and members of their publishing company Ebury, the Royal Foundation, and the community center. I assume the Hubb women might get a +1 i.e. members of the community center will include some of the women's families, but I could be wrong. We're all just speculating. Since the announcement of the project was considered unconventional, I think this celebratory event may be similarly unconventional. The DoS being in the kitchen doesn't feel like the usual grip and grin press event to me. They seem to be positioning it as a family dinner. I think we're in for some surprises.

With the public goodwill that Doria engendered at the wedding and her absolute silence to date, if she attends and the media tears her to shreds it will be at their peril.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom