The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 05:14 PM
Courtier

Amazing how quick it has sold out without any forward advance to the media. This was just KP dropping the mixtape on social media.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Just checked my Amazon here in the US and the book is currently unavailable.

Wouldn't it be a wonderful celebration if when Meghan hosts the reception for the release of this book that they can claim that the first printing has been sold out and they need more to meet the supply and demand.

This is generating a lot more interest than they ever thought was possible.

"All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life : he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." - Chief Seattle 1854
Old 09-17-2018, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Just checked my Amazon here in the US and the book is currently unavailable.

Wouldn't it be a wonderful celebration if when Meghan hosts the reception for the release of this book that they can claim that the first printing has been sold out and they need more to meet the supply and demand.

This is generating a lot more interest than they ever thought was possible.
It's sold out in at least four countries, and it's only been a day. I wonder which countries will make it to Thursday.

BTW, it's number 1 cookbook and number 2 overall book in Canada. For our friends in Canada that are interested. Some complained on Twitter that they can't find it on Amazon Canada.

https://www.amazon.ca/Untitled-17408...DTSXEFTJBYYNE6
Old 09-17-2018, 05:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Hmmm my Amazon is still showing it's able to be pre-ordered.

LaRae
Old 09-17-2018, 05:43 PM
Gentry

Honestly when I saw this, it brought a smile to my face. This must be the project people said she was working on. And I was wondering if she would be able to transfer her interests into her new role. Which I admit I focused on acting. I'd forgotten that Meghan also enjoys food and cooking.

Also, this is my idea of what a royal can do to help people. (This is not me comparing her to other royals or saying they don't do this as well) Letting them help themselves and just using her name to lend some publicity. I mean, I know she did more than that. Just that getting a cookbook started will get their recipes out there, and even though it might not have happened without her, these women can also feel a sense of accomplishment. If this ramble makes any sense.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Good grief...can we not just appreciate her attempt to help these folks with a fundraiser? Does it have to be turned into a feminist/sexist, why aren't men there, she's taking too much credit, it's not really her recipes, they aren't really cooking at the location etc etc etc.

She's trying to help folks within that community in a way that blends her interests and their culture. She's not just sending them a check.

LaRae
Well said LaRae!

When I viewed the book on Amazon it was still available, I didn't order it because I don't particularly care for that region of food. Still, its a great cause and it will help the Grenfell community. And at the end of the day, isn't that what matters most?

Old 09-17-2018, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Hmmm my Amazon is still showing it's able to be pre-ordered.

LaRae
They likely ordered more. It’s allowing it now again. It was out earlier.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:01 PM
Serene Highness

It seems like Meghan more than gave the foreword--she thought of the cookbook and seem to have acted as editor. A cookbook sounds like a simple idea but then again, nobody seems to have thought of it before and it's only with Meghan and full royal support that the Hubb Community Kitchen is now making money. The best part of it is, the community is making money from sharing what these women know and not from random donations nor from celebrity concerts which, helpful as they may be, would never be as empowering as an initiative such as this that directly involves and capacitates those that benefit. Plus, cookbooks are usually not one-off deals, there's so many possibilities--succeeding volumes, cultural holiday editions, collaborations. Sometimes simple but sustainable ideas turn out to be the best. Most important, and which is why I love initiatives like these--I can't imagine how proud these women must be to have their own recipes included, on print, and to be read by people all over the world! That sense of self accomplishment, of having been directly involved in coming up with the book that benefits their community after such as tragedy is perhaps more priceless than helping out the kitchen itself. I hope they enjoy the next few months as contributors to a bestselling book!
Old 09-17-2018, 06:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks Zonk! I generally like various ethnic foods so I'm sure I'll try some of the recipes (assuming I can get the ingredients here in the midwest)!

Jacqui that must be it....I'm just glad I can get it!

LaRae
Old 09-17-2018, 06:07 PM
Majesty

I was wracking my brain all day about ‘Hubb’ because I was sure I’d heard the name before, then Gert tweeted this out:

Duchess Meghan is not 1st Royal to support Al-Manaar, The Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre, where the Hubb Community Kitchen is located.
Last year, William & Harry visited the centre to meet w/ volunteers.
Al-Manaar was one of the first centres to respond to the #Grenfell fire.

They actually set up & funded Support 4 Grenfell Community Hub as a home for charities helping people affected by the fire. support4grenfell.com

Via Gert’s Royals Twitter

Support 4 Grenfell involves two of Kate’s charities. Place2Be and The Art Room
Old 09-17-2018, 06:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I was wracking my brain all day about ‘Hubb’ because I was sure I’d heard the name before, then Gert tweeted this out:

Duchess Meghan is not 1st Royal to support Al-Manaar, The Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre, where the Hubb Community Kitchen is located.
Last year, William & Harry visited the centre to meet w/ volunteers.
Al-Manaar was one of the first centres to respond to the #Grenfell fire.

They actually set up & funded Support 4 Grenfell Community Hub as a home for charities helping people affected by the fire. support4grenfell.com

Via Gert’s Royals Twitter

Support 4 Grenfell involves two of Kate’s charities. Place2Be and The Art Room
I think you are confusing Hub vs Hubb (named for "love" in arabic).

Yes, the royals visited Al Manaar last year and set up the Support 4 Grenfell Hub, but this cookbook is for Hubb, not for the Support 4 Grenfell scheme. This project with the community kitchen was not set up through the Support 4 scheme, is my understanding, and other royals have not visited it.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thanks Zonk! I generally like various ethnic foods so I'm sure I'll try some of the recipes (assuming I can get the ingredients here in the midwest)!

Jacqui that must be it....I'm just glad I can get it!

LaRae
I LOVE Persian food. One of the saddest things when I moved out of Northern VA area is the different ethnic restaurants. So EXCITED to try making some of the recipes at home. It’s a tad bit scary for me because I’m not too familiar with a lot of ingredients, so I need a bit of handholding. So really happy to have a cookbook with recipes from the women that have made it for their own families and community.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is what royals do best. They get involved and lend there support to Highlight a need in the community. It snowballs from there.
The Queen will be very proud of Meghan over this initiative. And Meghan will see how powerful her royal status can be.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
I think you are confusing Hub vs Hubb (named for "love" in arabic).

Yes, the royals visited Al Manaar last year and set up the Support 4 Grenfell Hub, but this cookbook is for Hubb, not for the Support 4 Grenfell scheme. This project with the community kitchen was not set up through the Support 4 scheme, is my understanding, and other royals have not visited it.
Al Manaar is a popular location with different things going on because it’s the community center. They allowed the women to use their kitchen after the Grenfell Tower fire. The name Hubb has nothing to do with Hub.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am guessing we might be seeing Doria at the launch on Thursday. Doria flew into London.

https://www.insideedition.com/doria-...t-london-46859
Old 09-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
It seems like Meghan more than gave the foreword--she thought of the cookbook and seem to have acted as editor. A cookbook sounds like a simple idea but then again, nobody seems to have thought of it before and it's only with Meghan and full royal support that the Hubb Community Kitchen is now making money. The best part of it is, the community is making money from sharing what these women know and not from random donations nor from celebrity concerts which, helpful as they may be, would never be as empowering as an initiative such as this that directly involves and capacitates those that benefit. Plus, cookbooks are usually not one-off deals, there's so many possibilities--succeeding volumes, cultural holiday editions, collaborations. Sometimes simple but sustainable ideas turn out to be the best. Most important, and which is why I love initiatives like these--I can't imagine how proud these women must be to have their own recipes included, on print, and to be read by people all over the world! That sense of self accomplishment, of having been directly involved in coming up with the book that benefits their community after such as tragedy is perhaps more priceless than helping out the kitchen itself. I hope they enjoy the next few months as contributors to a bestselling book!
Yes, nothing more empowering than to realize your contribution is helping to update the kitchen and keep it open for 7 days for TWO YEARS. Talk about sustainability. I do agree that with the success of this book, they should look into the possibility of doing a series to highlight different causes.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I am guessing we might be seeing Doria at the launch on Thursday. Doria flew into London.

https://www.insideedition.com/doria-...t-london-46859
omg i hope so!!!
Old 09-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I LOVE Persian food. One of the saddest things when I moved out of Northern VA area is the different ethnic restaurants. So EXCITED to try making some of the recipes at home. It’s a tad bit scary for me because I’m not too familiar with a lot of ingredients, so I need a bit of handholding. So really happy to have a cookbook with recipes from the women that have made it for their own families and community.

I've never had any...nothing Persian anywhere close to here. But what little I've seen here and there (online/tv etc) looks pretty good!

Some things are basic..you find versions of the same thing across the globe, just different names.

LaRae
Old 09-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Royal Highness

The book is selling out all over, Meghan's friends Jessica, Serena and Priyanka are giving shout outs on social media. The launch on Thursday. Meghan's royal status has put a hugh spotlight on Greenfell.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Majesty

Well, it seems Meghan has been working hard behind the scenes since first visited The Hub in January. It is certainly no surprise that she would hone in on cooking since she has a well-known passion for cooking for guests and sharing their company. It's a very Tig-like idea as one of our earlier posters put it.

It is also no surprise that she should come up with a cookbook as an idea to raise funds because she knows how a lot of things are done and has access to find the right people to make the idea a reality. I can't help but think that the women of Hubb must feel an incredible degree of pride that what, on a personal level, they didn't see as particularly special, namely cooking, is very special indeed.

I wonder how many of these women even knew each other before the disaster? Would their differing cultures and customs have kept them in their flats cooking an raising their children in isolation? What really impressed me from the various video clips was the diversity of the women brought together in adversity and the comfortable ease and warmth that emanated from them.

I am impressed that what Meghan said in the interview for the Royal Foundation, that 'Women don't need to find a voice, they have a voice, and they need to feel empowered to use it, and people need to be encouraged to listen. ' is an expression of that ethos. This cookbook's current success is a validation of self-worth for all those women involved in Hubb.

I am sure that Meghan and the Foundation are trying to find ways to replicate and facilitate that connection that does not require a disaster to bring a community out of their homes to share with each other. Now that is no easy task.

Tags
current events, duchess of sussex