The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #81  
Old 09-17-2018, 05:14 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodbridge, United States
Posts: 894
Amazing how quick it has sold out without any forward advance to the media. This was just KP dropping the mixtape on social media.
__________________

  #82  
Old 09-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 14,900
Just checked my Amazon here in the US and the book is currently unavailable.

Wouldn't it be a wonderful celebration if when Meghan hosts the reception for the release of this book that they can claim that the first printing has been sold out and they need more to meet the supply and demand.

This is generating a lot more interest than they ever thought was possible.
__________________

__________________
"All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life : he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." - Chief Seattle 1854
  #83  
Old 09-17-2018, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Just checked my Amazon here in the US and the book is currently unavailable.

Wouldn't it be a wonderful celebration if when Meghan hosts the reception for the release of this book that they can claim that the first printing has been sold out and they need more to meet the supply and demand.

This is generating a lot more interest than they ever thought was possible.
It's sold out in at least four countries, and it's only been a day. I wonder which countries will make it to Thursday.

BTW, it's number 1 cookbook and number 2 overall book in Canada. For our friends in Canada that are interested. Some complained on Twitter that they can't find it on Amazon Canada.

https://www.amazon.ca/Untitled-17408...DTSXEFTJBYYNE6
  #84  
Old 09-17-2018, 05:43 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,960
Hmmm my Amazon is still showing it's able to be pre-ordered.


LaRae
  #85  
Old 09-17-2018, 05:43 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maurice, United States
Posts: 59
Honestly when I saw this, it brought a smile to my face. This must be the project people said she was working on. And I was wondering if she would be able to transfer her interests into her new role. Which I admit I focused on acting. I'd forgotten that Meghan also enjoys food and cooking.


Also, this is my idea of what a royal can do to help people. (This is not me comparing her to other royals or saying they don't do this as well) Letting them help themselves and just using her name to lend some publicity. I mean, I know she did more than that. Just that getting a cookbook started will get their recipes out there, and even though it might not have happened without her, these women can also feel a sense of accomplishment. If this ramble makes any sense.
  #86  
Old 09-17-2018, 05:50 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 12,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Good grief...can we not just appreciate her attempt to help these folks with a fundraiser? Does it have to be turned into a feminist/sexist, why aren't men there, she's taking too much credit, it's not really her recipes, they aren't really cooking at the location etc etc etc.

She's trying to help folks within that community in a way that blends her interests and their culture. She's not just sending them a check.



LaRae
Well said LaRae!

When I viewed the book on Amazon it was still available, I didn't order it because I don't particularly care for that region of food. Still, its a great cause and it will help the Grenfell community. And at the end of the day, isn't that what matters most?
__________________
.

  #87  
Old 09-17-2018, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Hmmm my Amazon is still showing it's able to be pre-ordered.


LaRae
They likely ordered more. It’s allowing it now again. It was out earlier.
  #88  
Old 09-17-2018, 06:01 PM
moby's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,139
It seems like Meghan more than gave the foreword--she thought of the cookbook and seem to have acted as editor. A cookbook sounds like a simple idea but then again, nobody seems to have thought of it before and it's only with Meghan and full royal support that the Hubb Community Kitchen is now making money. The best part of it is, the community is making money from sharing what these women know and not from random donations nor from celebrity concerts which, helpful as they may be, would never be as empowering as an initiative such as this that directly involves and capacitates those that benefit. Plus, cookbooks are usually not one-off deals, there's so many possibilities--succeeding volumes, cultural holiday editions, collaborations. Sometimes simple but sustainable ideas turn out to be the best. Most important, and which is why I love initiatives like these--I can't imagine how proud these women must be to have their own recipes included, on print, and to be read by people all over the world! That sense of self accomplishment, of having been directly involved in coming up with the book that benefits their community after such as tragedy is perhaps more priceless than helping out the kitchen itself. I hope they enjoy the next few months as contributors to a bestselling book!
  #89  
Old 09-17-2018, 06:02 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,960
Thanks Zonk! I generally like various ethnic foods so I'm sure I'll try some of the recipes (assuming I can get the ingredients here in the midwest)!


Jacqui that must be it....I'm just glad I can get it!


LaRae
  #90  
Old 09-17-2018, 06:07 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,913
I was wracking my brain all day about ‘Hubb’ because I was sure I’d heard the name before, then Gert tweeted this out:

Duchess Meghan is not 1st Royal to support Al-Manaar, The Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre, where the Hubb Community Kitchen is located.
Last year, William & Harry visited the centre to meet w/ volunteers.
Al-Manaar was one of the first centres to respond to the #Grenfell fire.

They actually set up & funded Support 4 Grenfell Community Hub as a home for charities helping people affected by the fire. support4grenfell.com

Via Gert’s Royals Twitter

Support 4 Grenfell involves two of Kate’s charities. Place2Be and The Art Room
  #91  
Old 09-17-2018, 06:11 PM
Zaira's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I was wracking my brain all day about ‘Hubb’ because I was sure I’d heard the name before, then Gert tweeted this out:

Duchess Meghan is not 1st Royal to support Al-Manaar, The Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre, where the Hubb Community Kitchen is located.
Last year, William & Harry visited the centre to meet w/ volunteers.
Al-Manaar was one of the first centres to respond to the #Grenfell fire.

They actually set up & funded Support 4 Grenfell Community Hub as a home for charities helping people affected by the fire. support4grenfell.com

Via Gert’s Royals Twitter

Support 4 Grenfell involves two of Kate’s charities. Place2Be and The Art Room
I think you are confusing Hub vs Hubb (named for "love" in arabic).

Yes, the royals visited Al Manaar last year and set up the Support 4 Grenfell Hub, but this cookbook is for Hubb, not for the Support 4 Grenfell scheme. This project with the community kitchen was not set up through the Support 4 scheme, is my understanding, and other royals have not visited it.
  #92  
Old 09-17-2018, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Thanks Zonk! I generally like various ethnic foods so I'm sure I'll try some of the recipes (assuming I can get the ingredients here in the midwest)!


Jacqui that must be it....I'm just glad I can get it!


LaRae
I LOVE Persian food. One of the saddest things when I moved out of Northern VA area is the different ethnic restaurants. So EXCITED to try making some of the recipes at home. It’s a tad bit scary for me because I’m not too familiar with a lot of ingredients, so I need a bit of handholding. So really happy to have a cookbook with recipes from the women that have made it for their own families and community.
  #93  
Old 09-17-2018, 06:16 PM
Tarlita's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Near Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,014
This is what royals do best. They get involved and lend there support to Highlight a need in the community. It snowballs from there.
The Queen will be very proud of Meghan over this initiative. And Meghan will see how powerful her royal status can be.
  #94  
Old 09-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
I think you are confusing Hub vs Hubb (named for "love" in arabic).

Yes, the royals visited Al Manaar last year and set up the Support 4 Grenfell Hub, but this cookbook is for Hubb, not for the Support 4 Grenfell scheme. This project with the community kitchen was not set up through the Support 4 scheme, is my understanding, and other royals have not visited it.
Al Manaar is a popular location with different things going on because it’s the community center. They allowed the women to use their kitchen after the Grenfell Tower fire. The name Hubb has nothing to do with Hub.
  #95  
Old 09-17-2018, 06:23 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,990
I am guessing we might be seeing Doria at the launch on Thursday. Doria flew into London.

https://www.insideedition.com/doria-...t-london-46859
  #96  
Old 09-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
It seems like Meghan more than gave the foreword--she thought of the cookbook and seem to have acted as editor. A cookbook sounds like a simple idea but then again, nobody seems to have thought of it before and it's only with Meghan and full royal support that the Hubb Community Kitchen is now making money. The best part of it is, the community is making money from sharing what these women know and not from random donations nor from celebrity concerts which, helpful as they may be, would never be as empowering as an initiative such as this that directly involves and capacitates those that benefit. Plus, cookbooks are usually not one-off deals, there's so many possibilities--succeeding volumes, cultural holiday editions, collaborations. Sometimes simple but sustainable ideas turn out to be the best. Most important, and which is why I love initiatives like these--I can't imagine how proud these women must be to have their own recipes included, on print, and to be read by people all over the world! That sense of self accomplishment, of having been directly involved in coming up with the book that benefits their community after such as tragedy is perhaps more priceless than helping out the kitchen itself. I hope they enjoy the next few months as contributors to a bestselling book!
Yes, nothing more empowering than to realize your contribution is helping to update the kitchen and keep it open for 7 days for TWO YEARS. Talk about sustainability. I do agree that with the success of this book, they should look into the possibility of doing a series to highlight different causes.
  #97  
Old 09-17-2018, 06:29 PM
Zaira's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I am guessing we might be seeing Doria at the launch on Thursday. Doria flew into London.

https://www.insideedition.com/doria-...t-london-46859
omg i hope so!!!
  #98  
Old 09-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I LOVE Persian food. One of the saddest things when I moved out of Northern VA area is the different ethnic restaurants. So EXCITED to try making some of the recipes at home. It’s a tad bit scary for me because I’m not too familiar with a lot of ingredients, so I need a bit of handholding. So really happy to have a cookbook with recipes from the women that have made it for their own families and community.

I've never had any...nothing Persian anywhere close to here. But what little I've seen here and there (online/tv etc) looks pretty good!

Some things are basic..you find versions of the same thing across the globe, just different names.


LaRae
  #99  
Old 09-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,648
The book is selling out all over, Meghan's friends Jessica, Serena and Priyanka are giving shout outs on social media. The launch on Thursday. Meghan's royal status has put a hugh spotlight on Greenfell.
  #100  
Old 09-17-2018, 07:40 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,404
Well, it seems Meghan has been working hard behind the scenes since first visited The Hub in January. It is certainly no surprise that she would hone in on cooking since she has a well-known passion for cooking for guests and sharing their company. It's a very Tig-like idea as one of our earlier posters put it.

It is also no surprise that she should come up with a cookbook as an idea to raise funds because she knows how a lot of things are done and has access to find the right people to make the idea a reality. I can't help but think that the women of Hubb must feel an incredible degree of pride that what, on a personal level, they didn't see as particularly special, namely cooking, is very special indeed.

I wonder how many of these women even knew each other before the disaster? Would their differing cultures and customs have kept them in their flats cooking an raising their children in isolation? What really impressed me from the various video clips was the diversity of the women brought together in adversity and the comfortable ease and warmth that emanated from them.

I am impressed that what Meghan said in the interview for the Royal Foundation, that 'Women don't need to find a voice, they have a voice, and they need to feel empowered to use it, and people need to be encouraged to listen. ' is an expression of that ethos. This cookbook's current success is a validation of self-worth for all those women involved in Hubb.

I am sure that Meghan and the Foundation are trying to find ways to replicate and facilitate that connection that does not require a disaster to bring a community out of their homes to share with each other. Now that is no easy task.
__________________

__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Closed Thread

Tags
current events, duchess of sussex


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Official Visit to Morocco - February 23-25, 2019 Rossina Royal Family of Morocco 245 03-07-2019 02:54 PM
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 2: December 2018 - February 2019 soapstar Current Events Archive 675 02-20-2019 05:26 PM




Popular Tags
abdication american history anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones belgian royal belgian royal family bridal gown canada chittagong clarence house coronavirus cover-up crown princess victoria danish royalty denmark dna dutch dutch royal family edo facts family tree fantasy movie future genealogy hill historical drama house of bernadotte house of glucksburg house of grimaldi imperial household introduction italian royal family japan jumma kent languages list of rulers lithuania lithuanian palaces mail maxima mbs mountbatten netflix nobel prize northern ireland palestine princely family of monaco queen paola romanov family rown royal dress-ups royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding royal wedding gown serbian royal family settings spanish royal startling new evidence state visit to denmark stuart sweden swedish history thai royal family tips tracts united kingdom von hofmannsthal


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×