Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: September 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wracking my brain all day about ‘Hubb’ because I was sure I’d heard the name before, then Gert tweeted this out:

Duchess Meghan is not 1st Royal to support Al-Manaar, The Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre, where the Hubb Community Kitchen is located.
Last year, William & Harry visited the centre to meet w/ volunteers.
Al-Manaar was one of the first centres to respond to the #Grenfell fire.

They actually set up & funded Support 4 Grenfell Community Hub as a home for charities helping people affected by the fire. support4grenfell.com

Via Gert’s Royals Twitter

Support 4 Grenfell involves two of Kate’s charities. Place2Be and The Art Room

I think you are confusing Hub vs Hubb (named for "love" in arabic).

Yes, the royals visited Al Manaar last year and set up the Support 4 Grenfell Hub, but this cookbook is for Hubb, not for the Support 4 Grenfell scheme. This project with the community kitchen was not set up through the Support 4 scheme, is my understanding, and other royals have not visited it.

Thanks Zonk! I generally like various ethnic foods so I'm sure I'll try some of the recipes (assuming I can get the ingredients here in the midwest)!

Jacqui that must be it....I'm just glad I can get it!

LaRae

I LOVE Persian food. One of the saddest things when I moved out of Northern VA area is the different ethnic restaurants. So EXCITED to try making some of the recipes at home. It’s a tad bit scary for me because I’m not too familiar with a lot of ingredients, so I need a bit of handholding. So really happy to have a cookbook with recipes from the women that have made it for their own families and community.

This is what royals do best. They get involved and lend there support to Highlight a need in the community. It snowballs from there.
The Queen will be very proud of Meghan over this initiative. And Meghan will see how powerful her royal status can be.

I think you are confusing Hub vs Hubb (named for "love" in arabic).

Yes, the royals visited Al Manaar last year and set up the Support 4 Grenfell Hub, but this cookbook is for Hubb, not for the Support 4 Grenfell scheme. This project with the community kitchen was not set up through the Support 4 scheme, is my understanding, and other royals have not visited it.

Al Manaar is a popular location with different things going on because it’s the community center. They allowed the women to use their kitchen after the Grenfell Tower fire. The name Hubb has nothing to do with Hub.

It seems like Meghan more than gave the foreword--she thought of the cookbook and seem to have acted as editor. A cookbook sounds like a simple idea but then again, nobody seems to have thought of it before and it's only with Meghan and full royal support that the Hubb Community Kitchen is now making money. The best part of it is, the community is making money from sharing what these women know and not from random donations nor from celebrity concerts which, helpful as they may be, would never be as empowering as an initiative such as this that directly involves and capacitates those that benefit. Plus, cookbooks are usually not one-off deals, there's so many possibilities--succeeding volumes, cultural holiday editions, collaborations. Sometimes simple but sustainable ideas turn out to be the best. Most important, and which is why I love initiatives like these--I can't imagine how proud these women must be to have their own recipes included, on print, and to be read by people all over the world! That sense of self accomplishment, of having been directly involved in coming up with the book that benefits their community after such as tragedy is perhaps more priceless than helping out the kitchen itself. I hope they enjoy the next few months as contributors to a bestselling book!
Yes, nothing more empowering than to realize your contribution is helping to update the kitchen and keep it open for 7 days for TWO YEARS. Talk about sustainability. I do agree that with the success of this book, they should look into the possibility of doing a series to highlight different causes.

I LOVE Persian food. One of the saddest things when I moved out of Northern VA area is the different ethnic restaurants. So EXCITED to try making some of the recipes at home. It’s a tad bit scary for me because I’m not too familiar with a lot of ingredients, so I need a bit of handholding. So really happy to have a cookbook with recipes from the women that have made it for their own families and community.

I've never had any...nothing Persian anywhere close to here. But what little I've seen here and there (online/tv etc) looks pretty good!

Some things are basic..you find versions of the same thing across the globe, just different names.

LaRae

The book is selling out all over, Meghan's friends Jessica, Serena and Priyanka are giving shout outs on social media. The launch on Thursday. Meghan's royal status has put a hugh spotlight on Greenfell.

Well, it seems Meghan has been working hard behind the scenes since first visited The Hub in January. It is certainly no surprise that she would hone in on cooking since she has a well-known passion for cooking for guests and sharing their company. It's a very Tig-like idea as one of our earlier posters put it.

It is also no surprise that she should come up with a cookbook as an idea to raise funds because she knows how a lot of things are done and has access to find the right people to make the idea a reality. I can't help but think that the women of Hubb must feel an incredible degree of pride that what, on a personal level, they didn't see as particularly special, namely cooking, is very special indeed.

I wonder how many of these women even knew each other before the disaster? Would their differing cultures and customs have kept them in their flats cooking an raising their children in isolation? What really impressed me from the various video clips was the diversity of the women brought together in adversity and the comfortable ease and warmth that emanated from them.

I am impressed that what Meghan said in the interview for the Royal Foundation, that 'Women don't need to find a voice, they have a voice, and they need to feel empowered to use it, and people need to be encouraged to listen. ' is an expression of that ethos. This cookbook's current success is a validation of self-worth for all those women involved in Hubb.

I am sure that Meghan and the Foundation are trying to find ways to replicate and facilitate that connection that does not require a disaster to bring a community out of their homes to share with each other. Now that is no easy task.

The book is #2 on the overall bestsellers in the books section of Amazon in the USA.

What a great first solo initiative from Megsie. Cant wait to see what else she has in store for us. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If she had a speech ready for the celebratory event, then she should be re-writing it now. :lol:

I've ordered a copy, partially to support the Grenville community, but also because a lot of the recipes look like they'll be similar to some of the really amazing family cooking that was on The Big Family Cooking Showdown.

I am impressed that what Meghan said in the interview for the Royal Foundation, that 'Women don't need to find a voice, they have a voice, and they need to feel empowered to use it, and people need to be encouraged to listen. ' is an expression of that ethos. This cookbook's current success is a validation of self-worth for all those women involved in Hubb.

I was also struck by this quote multiple times today particularly the precursor to the portion Marg cited i.e. "I hear a lot of people speaking about girls' empowerment and women's empowerment and you will hear people saying they are helping women find their voice. I fundamentally disagree with that". People suggesting that because these aren't Meghan's recipes that somehow downplays her contribution are missing the point. Meghan could've held a charity dinner with recipes "inspired" by her visits to Hubb to raise money. Instead, her goal was to provide a platform for the women to tell THEIR own stories and share THEIR recipes. Instead of riding in on her royal chariot to save the day, Meghan is helping them help themselves and their community. The longer term benefits for the Hubb women are greater than money can buy.

On the other hand, I'd point those interested in a book of Meghan's recipes to The Tig archives which can be found with some searching on the interwebs.

Rhiannon Mills from Sky News commented on how atypical this media rollout was compared to other royal initiatives. This was largely social media driven with video content created internally by The Royal Foundation in conjunction with a press kit including the cookbook sent to royal reporters. There was a veiled complaint that no press conference with media access was provided. It'll be interesting to see whether this approach will be employed more regularly by KP. It won't work for every project. But, in this case, it's been highly effective and kept the focus on the women of Hubb more than a press conference with Meghan would have. That being said, I do hope there's media coverage of the Thursday launch celebration. I guess we'll see...

Last edited:
Well said LaRae!

When I viewed the book on Amazon it was still available, I didn't order it because I don't particularly care for that region of food. Still, its a great cause and it will help the Grenfell community. And at the end of the day, isn't that what matters most?
Not sure what ‘region of food’ you mean, there are recipes from several regions of the world, the 3 recipes featured in the article are from Uganda, India, and Algeria, and the women featured appeared to be from multiple countries.
I’ll definitely make some of the dishes - that coconut chicken sounds delicious and I love the coconut flavor in Vietnamese cooking, so it’ll be fun to experiment with the Indian recipe.
I have an adventurous palate - not quite Andrew Zimmerman adventurous, but I enjoy new flavors - and fortunately California is rather ethnically diverse, so finding more exotic spices won’t be too hard. Indeed, once when I was experimenting with another country’s recipes and couldn’t find the lovage I needed at any local grocery, I ordered a lovage plant from the nursery and grew my own :)
The only challenge I suspect will be in converting the measurements and any baking temp.s to American equivalents.

I was also struck by this quote multiple times today particularly the precursor to the portion Marg cited i.e. "I hear a lot of people speaking about girls' empowerment and women's empowerment and you will hear people saying they are helping women find their voice. I fundamentally disagree with that". People suggesting that because these aren't Meghan's recipes that somehow downplays her contribution are missing the point. Meghan could've held a charity dinner with recipes "inspired" by her visits to Hubb to raise money. Instead, her goal was to provide a platform for the women to tell THEIR own stories and share THEIR recipes. Instead of riding in on her royal chariot to save the day, Meghan is helping them help themselves and their community. The longer term benefits for the Hubb women are greater than money can buy.

Rhiannon Mills from Sky News commented on how atypical this media rollout was compared to other royal initiatives. This was largely social media driven with video content created internally by The Royal Foundation in conjunction with a press kit including the cookbook sent to royal reporters. There was a veiled complaint that no press conference with media access was provided. It'll be interesting to see whether this approach will be employed more regularly by KP. It won't work for every project. But, in this case, it's been highly effective and kept the focus on the women of Hubb more than a press conference with Meghan would have. That being said, I do hope there's media coverage of the Thursday launch celebration. I guess we'll see...

If Meghan had contributed a recipe to the book the articles everywhere would have been about Meghan's recipe and not about the recipes contributed by the actual women of the charity. I believe it was definitely an intentional choice not to contribute a recipe and keep the focus on the women.

I think this is one of the most effective uses of the social media platform done by KP. This almost guerilla style marketing genuinely created a lot of interest and hype for the project in social media and helped to make the book what will likely be a commercial success.

These articles highlights why I think presenting the book as a finish project was a much better success than a lenthy PR drive of months of build up leading up to the book.

www.forbes.com/sites/michelinemaynard/2018/09/17/meghan-markle-makes-a-splash-with-her-first-big-charity-effort-a-cookbook/amp/

" The book can be considered a publishing coup for Penguin Random House. The project was kept under very tight wraps, getting no notice in a season that is filled with new cookbooks, which normally are mailed to reviewers months in advance in order to generate attention"

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/20...y-cookbook-social-media-celebrity-friends/amp

The roll out was efficient, and effective it got the message of the women across, had a call to action that people could respond to (an action people can do to support the organization and the message), presents a set goal and a quantitative scale to measure the success.

I understand the concerns about shuning traditional media and there should be a balance but I believe this project would not have been as popular as a campaign in traditional media as it would have been in social media.

The articles we are getting from Sky is just a result of growing pains as KP enters into the 21st century on how to maintain the balance between both traditional media and social media.

Traditional media does have a different audience than social media and KP does need to continue to reach out to them so it just needs to find the balance which I believe they are by having an an actual book launch engagement. This is simply the adjustment period.

Last edited:
Well their are articles in Forbes and other magazines so their strategy seems to be working. I realize that royal outlets are miffed because the pretty little newbie Duchess didn't come out, be the centre of everything and wear an ensemble they could pick to death for weeks

Instead they were presented with a done deal, all over bar the shouting. No Fab Four preening for the cameras. No 'aw shucks, it was nothing', from the newbie. In short, the established media missed the point entirely. This is not Meghan's first patronage or charity, it's her first collaboration.

Woken up to lots of criticism on this. The cause is amazing,the video is beautiful. But there was lots of debate in tv newsrooms about whether to use it. Videos don’t allow us as journalists to see the project, ask questions & bring you context & analysis

Via Rhiannon Mills Twitter

Interesting there was debate over whether or not to even use the video

The recipes seem to be from different regions of the world and not just 'Persia'. Sure majority of the women seem to Muslim but what a way to paint an entire community as being from one part of the world.

Fros can you re-post the article links? They don't seem to be working. I saw the Sky News report via video segment. Here's the print article from Rhiannon. Her critique is actually pretty explicit.

https://news.sky.com/story/meghan-needs-to-face-the-media-to-win-over-the-doubters-11501034

Here's an alternate take from Vanity Fair. Sorry if it duplicates your links Fros.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/20...arity-cookbook-social-media-celebrity-friends

I tend to agree with Fros that these are growing pains and KP will find a balance. But, I do think part of the difference is as the Vanity Fair article suggests, Meghan has had her own social media profile and is used to effectively communicating about projects this way. Besides the TRF produced video, this is very similar to the way Meghan promoted her period poverty article in Time pre-engagement, including the re-tweets from her friends. The World Cup tweets from Prince William were pretty universally praised (I thought it was cool) but launching an initiative via social media appears to be a bridge too far (for some). I think there's a middle ground.

I disagree with the Sky News sub-headline that the BRF needs traditional media to remain relevant. New/online media is more relevant to the younger generation than print. That's just fact. It's also why so many RRs are experimenting with podcasts and online TV shows. Seems a bit hypocritical, no? But, the BRF/Meghan may need the RRs to convince the doubters. Traditional media have unquestioningly set the public narrative. But, KP likely sees that as part of the problem.

I understand what Rhiannon is saying about simply taking what is said in a video at face value and asking questions and context that she said on twitter but my issue is why is a video where we can actually see the people involved talk about the project met with more suspicion than press releases that simply have the words on paper which are accepted as complete truth?

There is a book launch scheduled in 3 days with media access.

If the usual press release had gone out to the media instead of the video released to the public it wouldn't have been met with the same suspicion.

This seems more like once again the media complaining about lack of exclusivity

Kensington Palace
@KensingtonRoyal
·
4m
The Duchess of Sussex will attend the opening of 'Oceania' at
@RoyalAcademy
on Tuesday 25th September.

The Duchess will view exhibits from regions including New Zealand, Fiji, the Kingdom of Tonga and Australia, which she and The Duke of Sussex will visit in October.
#RAOceania

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! Launching her first solo project and going on her 1st solo engagement within a week of each other. Great tie-in with the upcoming tour. Hats off Samantha Cohen.

RRs thought 1st solo engagement would be while on tour so maybe there'll be another one.

I understand what Rhiannon is saying about simply taking what is said in a video at face value and asking questions and context that she said on twitter but my issue is why is a video where we can actually see the people involved talk about the project met with more suspicion than press releases that simply have the words on paper which are accepted as complete truth?

There is a book launch scheduled in 3 days with media access.

If the usual press release had gone out to the media instead of the video released to the public it wouldn't have been met with the same suspicion.

This seems more like once again the media complaining about lack of exclusivity

I'm using a passage from the quote that Rudolph posted from Rhiannon Mills Twitter feed as these are the words out of the horse's mouth (not a slur on Rhiannon by any means but an expression).

"Videos don’t allow us as journalists to see the project, ask questions & bring you context & analysis".

I think that simply the reason the journalists (some with a big lack of journalistic skills) are slighted because they didn't get the chance to be a "talking head" that tells the public what they're supposed to think about this particular incentive. There was no chance to praise, glorify, demean, criticize or editorialize on this book release depending on their employer's or their own points of view.

The way it was done through social media with a video allowed the content to reach the public directly and the public could make up their own minds what to think about it. Obviously it was met with an extraordinary response seeing as booksellers have already sold out before the release date. It was the right move to make for this incentive.

I'm sure that those journalists will get their chance to praise, glorify, demean, criticize or editorialize on this book release. They just didn't get the "scoop" of bringing it to the public's knowledge and have the chance to tell us what to think about it. :D

The media's "middleman" place of importance of bringing us information is losing its grip.

The establishment media has its nose out of joint because KP took an alternate route? This is an heart warming and meaningful project and the press is trying to make it about them? This initiative is not about national security so I don't see the need for probing questions. I think they are mad about no access to Meghan; therefore unable to ask questions that have nothing to do with the Hub.

What questions is there to ask? All the info is available on the video, the book and KP info. This isn't a article about brain surgery. It's a cook book that was published and is sold to collect funds to keep community kitchen open every day. Now reporters who want to do their work could go to visit the Hubb, call up the publishers, royal foundation to get more behind the scenes info, if they want to.

You've got a good point there, Cocosneeze.

Then again, that would mean that they would have to be investigative journalists and put their focus on the Hubb incentive itself and not solely focused on Meghan, herself. ;)

What? Didn't have access? The press was sent a media kit which included the book itself! There will be a big formal launch on Thursday with the community and the Duchess.

I am not sure I understand what is missing? The leaks we see from other royals about their upcoming projects? This was an effective campaign launch that very smartly utilized new media to spread word. Numerous major news outlets covered it across print and broadcast. Including Sky itself. So obviously whatever debate there was in the media broke Meghan's way since it was covered.

Also, lovely video with the Hubb community speaking more about the project:

Last edited:
I'm not sure what insightful questions Rhiannon Mills is expecting to ask? This is more insightful than a lot of the segments I've seen on Sky News. Perhaps that's the problem?:lol: The punchline has already been delivered. If this was done the traditional way, the narrating on Sky News would've been done by Rhiannon Mills rather than Meghan.

I'm not sure why they are debating if they should air it today. They are ALREADY behind the curve. They are kind of proving that traditional media isn't relevant anymore. It's already sold out in different markets before Sky News gets to it apparently. NO ONE had a clue this was coming until yesterday (well, I suppose Bryony Gordon did). It is unusual in that it's a complete product by the time it's announced for her first initiative. I do kind of get their problem here. How do you air a clip that's already been viewed by those that are most interested, 24 hours after the fact. The impact was immediate. How are you going to talk about airing it a day after. A day is forever in today's news standard.

Someone asked Omid if they knew ahead of time, and he didn't answer. I'm guessing this is going to be discussed On Heir.

What? Didn't have access? The press was sent a media kit which included the book itself! There will be a big formal launch on Thursday with the community and the Duchess.

The part you are missing is that they got it the day it released. It's not an initiative that was announced months ahead of time, and they've had their sweet time with it before the book gets out. :lol: That's the access they are talking about. Not whether or not us, as readers, had enough information. But rather if they've had it far enough to bring it to us as theirs rather than KP doing it the way they did. I'm not sure why media access to Meghan in a far greater manner that is typical of a project launch is demanded, but it is the way they see fit.

Ultimately, the real bitter pill for them is that this has been going on for months, they had no idea, and it wasn't on THEIR terms.

Last edited:
The media doesn’t want to just act as the royals PR firm. So a lot of times if the press isn’t brought in and given background and access, they don’t like to use the info.

It happened with Harry’s invictus video with the Queen. That was done entirely by KP with no press involvement. Richard Palmer complained for days about it.

That’s what Rhiannon Mills is referring to. Social media gives the royals a lot more freedom than they had in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom