Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: September 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to the women of Hubb Community Kitchen, and to the Duchess of Sussex, and to the book's publishers. ⭐

I would like to find out how many books have been sold and the amount of money made to date! I hope that information will be made available some day.

To me, it really doesn't matter how much money it brought to the Hubb. What matters is the incentive came to the forefront and captured a whole lot of attention to people doing what they do best. It cannot be copied. It put the focus on what these women were doing and why they were doing it.

The success and the money drawn in to the cause shows the goal of what the women were always doing. Feeding those that needed it. The cookbook was the glue to ensure that it will continue.

Good example of whatever you put out into the world comes back tenfold. ;)

Even though she visited with Harry, this article is mainly about Meghan, so I'm posting it here. A positive effect of her visit to One25—the charity that helps sex workers—is that they've gotten their first international donations!

"...the charity has been sent hundreds of pounds from donors in the US, New Zealand and Jamaica. Donations have also come in from Switzerland and Canada."

Duchess of Sussex visit leads to first international donations for sex workers charity

Even though she visited with Harry, this article is mainly about Meghan, so I'm posting it here. A positive effect of her visit to One25—the charity that helps sex workers—is that they've gotten their first international donations!

"...the charity has been sent hundreds of pounds from donors in the US, New Zealand and Jamaica. Donations have also come in from Switzerland and Canada."

Duchess of Sussex visit leads to first international donations for sex workers charity

This is some great news. It is always nice to hear the impact that royals have on their charities, patronages, etc. Sometimes it's not always visible, so it's really nice to read about it.

That is absolutely wonderful to hear. I bet the charity is glad, especially after all the publicity.

I wish the focus would be more in her work. She’s making an impact indeed.

The entire job of a royal is to bring attention to charities. PR is always a good thing for any cause. And no matter what people think about the bananas, Meghan did just that. :flowers:

Happy to hear the charity has seen donations from abroad. Great that Meghan had an affect other then on clothes.

What lovely news! I hope we see Meghan work on this topic more, myself.

So much for Banana-gate. Kudos to Meghan.

Right? That is amazing for them. One 25 was talked about all over the world because Meghan wrote on a banana. I mean how brilliant is that? They have seen donations just flood in because of one simple gesture. Thrilled for them.

As for the other... I am glad the truth is out. That is all I will say.

The flood of international donations for One25 and the success of the international sales of the Hubb kitchen cookbook,"Together", are just two recent examples of just how powerful having a royal patron is on our world stage today.

Its not the banana or a foreword by a Duchess that is really the drawing point themselves but rather that people around the world hear about it and react to it and then support it.

Wow, thanks. That's exactly what I was thinking today. That Meghan's thoughtful messages she had the idea to write spur of the moment, increased the significant impact of their visit, bringing the work of the charity to wider notice around the world. So some of the tongue-in-cheek reports and critiques and slams suggesting that Meghan would have been better off giving money to the workers, rather than words of encouragement, totally miss the point that her actions are as valuable as money in the way she was able to generate interest and donations from around the world.

The other part of this is the fact that we don't know whether or not Harry & Meghan also later or earlier extended a monetary donation to the community center for the purpose of helping the women in need. There is too much out-of-hand judgmental attitudes.

At the end of the article there's mention of another uplifting result of M&H's visit:
"Following the visit one former sex worker called Sam, who now volunteers at One25, said: 'By being there in a non-judgmental, loving way you all made me see I could be more – and for that I will always be eternally grateful!'"

Last edited:
Btw, if people followed One25 on Twitter, they probably would’ve seen the great difficulty international donors have had trying to donate. So I’d say they were definitely not prepared for it. But it’s lovely to see. :wub:

Since the Hub wasn't exactly a 'patronage', I think Meghan really nailed that first private outreach. I saw many articles and posts from people who didn't understand the significance of the Hub Kitchen. Yes, many of those made homeless by the fire were accommodated in hotels and motels at public expense but, if they are anywhere like our motels and long team stay hotel/motels, they only have a kitchen jug, a toaster and, if you are very, very lucky, a benchtop oven.

Meghan saw that they were struggling as a community and culturally. They have large families, they live together, they share the burden and Hub enabled them to meet once a week and feed everyone and share. Meghan saw the need and was quite original in what she thought was the remedy.

Because of her ability to think outside the box, I really look forward to how Meghan sees herself and participates in any event, big and bonny though she be. She is really pushing the "pregnancy is not a disease" message by how she interacts with others and that interaction provides a twist, always. If it doesn't come from Meghan it comes from Harry.

:previous: Thanks as always Marg for your thoughtful responses and positive perceptions that offer a unique way of looking at the work the Sussexes are doing. The more I learn about Meghan, the more impressed I become. She's human which means she's not perfect, but she's clearly made a conscious choice in her life to focus on being a leader and on being positive and encouraging toward others, in addition to uplifting the suffering and needy.

Meghan also clearly enjoys life and she works hard at living her own life to the fullest. I don't think some people truly understand that there's nothing wrong with trying to better oneself and to befriend people with mutual interests who also have kind hearts, and possess status and influence. It's all good when remarkable people serve as role models in making an important difference for others, especially during this difficult time we are living in.

The fact that Meghan and Harry are clearly in love and in sync is an uplifting thing IMO. The Sussex baby is very lucky to have such parents. I'm sure Megan & Harry feel they are the ones who are lucky and blessed. ⭐

Last edited:
Clematis means 'mental beauty' in the Victorian language of flowers. It's a lovely gesture. I hope that Meghan visits the show to see it.

And we are done!

Thread closed for a clean up.

Thanks to everyone who felt the need to disregard my warning. And took it one step further...let's say what we think Meghan feels, thinks, etc.

Because you know...you getting the last word was more important than everyone else.

And DO NOT take this shower discussion to any other BRF thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom