The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
I'm delighted Doria was there. KP including her in the tweet announcing the event is probably a step too far. They will learn.
You know, now that I think about it. I think they are trying to make a point. The press spent the entire summer drudging up all kinds of family problems. It's nice to see that she does actually have family she's close to and who supports her without trying to put whatever personal gains in front of her. They wanted the Palace to address the family situation. It's the best way to address without engaging with the Markles. She has her family, and that's that.

I highly doubt it's going to be a regular thing, but it is subtle things like this that eventually shapes a narrative.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:18 AM
Majesty

This is an interesting thought. I don't know if others will agree but it is interesting that we have not seen Carole attend an engagement in this way with Kate, although she has been present at public events such as Ascot and the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant

Via Victoria Murphy Twitter

There won’t be overt criticism today, but over the next few days there will probably be some opinion pieces casting a side at today.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post

Can the monarchy survive THIS!!
Old 09-20-2018, 10:32 AM
Majesty

Sophie's dad came to support her when she competed in the great bike ride she did. This was an informal occasion, a great get-together, and probably the ladies of the Hubb Kitchen also brought a family member.

Meghan's mother is visiting the UK, we haven't seen her with Meghan since the wedding, and she turned up to what was an informal gathering. This is one occasion in the four months of her daughter's marriage and it's extremely doubtful that she will do this again.

I thought it was a lovely occasion and everyone looked as if they enjoyed themselves. A marvellous book launch and that cookbook is selling fast. Great!
Old 09-20-2018, 10:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I do have a question. People have stated that Doria turned up at a public engagement. Where was the public? I didn't see any people peering through KP gates or lining the road to catch a glimpse of this event.

From what I see, it was a private reception held in the grounds of KP by invitation only. The people that attended are members of the local community, representatives from Ebury Press – the publishers of the book – the Al Manaar Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre, where the cooks are based, and the Royal Foundation.

It was Meghan's first solo incentive for the Royal Foundation. As has been mentioned, Sophie took on a 445 mile bicycle marathon for The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme and was greeted by her father at the finish line. Doria sharing in Meghan's first successful incentive is along the same lines in my book.
"All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life : he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." - Chief Seattle 1854
Old 09-20-2018, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

So, you know the tweet that KP mentioned Doria in? It's been retweeted by The Royal Family twitter. So I don't think there is an issue about it behind the scenes or this would've been corrected.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
From what I see, it was a private reception held in the grounds of KP by invitation only. The people that attended are members of the local community, representatives from Ebury Press – the publishers of the book – the Al Manaar Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre, where the cooks are based, and the Royal Foundation.

It was Meghan's first solo incentive for the Royal Foundation. As has been mentioned, Sophie took on a 445 mile bicycle marathon for The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme and was greeted by her father at the finish line. Doria sharing in Meghan's first successful incentive is along the same lines in my book.
A very good point. Those two events do sound very comparable.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Meghan's speech.

https://twitter.com/ODN/status/1042783417815982080
Old 09-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Yes it is both boys. You have a short memory.

The Monarchy must make changes if it is to remain intact.

LaRae
You are exactly correct. William has done as much to change Royal/Windsor traditions as Harry has.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 09-20-2018, 10:42 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
You know, now that I think about it. I think they are trying to make a point. The press spent the entire summer drudging up all kinds of family problems. It's nice to see that she does actually have family she's close to and who supports her without trying to put whatever personal gains in front of her. They wanted the Palace to address the family situation. It's the best way to address without engaging with the Markles. She has her family, and that's that.

I highly doubt it's going to be a regular thing, but it is subtle things like this that eventually shapes a narrative.
Yes, that's one of the reasons I was happy to see Doria there. It makes a statement that this is H&M's family. Get used to it. Similar to Doria's inclusion at Invictus Toronto closing ceremonies. At the wedding, RRs noted that they hadn't had an opportunity to engage with Doria. Never heard her speak. Didn't have a sense of who she was. Whether that was within the RRs rights to expect is a different debate. They checked that box today. Her physical presence was enough of a statement for me. I didn't need one from KP.

Edit: Saw your note about the retweet from The Royal Family...ok then. The palace isn't about subtlety today. Who am I to say different?
Old 09-20-2018, 10:53 AM
Nobility

I think the distinction of when an appearance by a family member is appropriate is that today was a milestone for Meghan, the event like the project echoed a low key cozy community feel where food is shared between families. So Meghan's family was also there along with others.

For Doria to be at the commonwealth service and be seated with the Royal would be questionable.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Even the DF wrote a story about Meghan's 3 minute speech without the use of notes.
Of course, we really should not be surprised about her eloquence when speaking!
Old 09-20-2018, 10:57 AM
Majesty

Yes, Meghan made a great speech without notes, short, concise, to the point, with no stumbling, mumbling, looking at notes. It was completely natural. Impressive in my book!
Old 09-20-2018, 11:11 AM
Courtier

Similar to Sophie Wessex's event it is nice to see the husbands and families support their wives. Here is a cute picture of Harry trying to tame Meghan's hair blowing in the wind: https://twitter.com/ODN/status/1042787190294671361
Old 09-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Commoner

I think it’s great that Doria was there today! This project means a lot to Meghan and she wanted to support her. I just can’t believe people are criticizing this. People have to realize times are changing!
Old 09-20-2018, 11:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
At what point would a family member being included seem odd or inappropriate
If a family member is staying as a guest, of course one includes them in what one is doing.. but events where others are the primary focus - someone's Wedding, or Birthday or retirement party [say], would be too much [unless it was acceptable to that event's host/hostess].
Ms Ragland is currently in London, and this was a 'one-off' event, and her daughter's FIRST foray into substantive work, so I have no issue with her attendance.
If she tagged along to a Hospital ward opening, or the launch of a ship, or ANY sort of 'official engagement' that would be too much.

She ISN'T a member of the Royal Family, despite being the relative of someone who is...
Old 09-20-2018, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

ITN videos:

Old 09-20-2018, 11:20 AM
Courtier

When it comes to Meghan (and Harry) it's always "breaking the tradition" or "blurring the line". I am done with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
It celebrated family, so she brought hers. It worked.
I agree and I think this is the point. Glad to see Doria come to support her daughter and her first new project . And great speech from Meghan.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:23 AM
Commoner

I don't understand the criticism. As if people are afraid Doria will be going on many other events with her daughter. From the video that I saw it looked to be a very informal event where food is prepared and served reminiscent of family cookouts we all have. Meghan was excited about her first event and perhaps wanted the two people who mean the most to her by her side. I did not get the impression this was a major deal.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:23 AM
Majesty

“It is unprecedented for family members to attend royal engagements.

That is why the appearance of Doria Ragland alongside the Duchess of Sussex at the launch of her new charity cookbook so surprised royal watchers.

Sitting in the front seat of a Land Rover Discovery with her daughter and son-in-law in the back, she stepped out and greeted the waiting guests with the words: 'Hi, I'm Meg's mom.'

Meghan's decision to bring her mother along to the Kensington Palace event is another sign of her willingness to gently push the boundaries of royal traditions.

Other examples include inviting the charismatic US preacher Michael Curry to speak at St George's Chapel during the royal wedding, introducing a lively contrast to the sedate sermons typical of royal weddings.”

From the Mail Online article posted up thread. I think we’ll see some criticism over the next week about Doria being included in royal engagements.

Closed Thread

Tags
current events, duchess of sussex