Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: September 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great event and fantastic seeing Meghan interacting with the women. :flowers:

I love Harry there supporting her. He was hilarious with the samosas he smuggled away. ?

And I love when he flattened her hair in the wind :lol:

Great seeing her first solo event, well with Harry along in the back ?

Harry was in fine form. Being cheeky with that big grin straight at the cameras. Doing a great job supporting Meghan and charming everyone.
So pleased to see Doria again especially in this relaxed setting. I hope she can stay a lot longer this time.
Meghan is a class act giving a good speech off the cuff.
We got good news coverage here of the event -- all positive.

Today I've looked over some of Amanda's articles on Meghan since she became engaged to Harry. They have been uniformly unfavourable, with Amanda designating Meghan as a virtue-signalling actress bringing her Hollywood style over here etc etc and ever so often subtly comparing her to her sister in law. I don't think this latest diatribe is out of the ordinary for Platell. She simply doesn't like Meghan, that's clear.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...ke-lovely-mum-Doria-Royal-fixture-Meghan.html

Amanda making a point that has been discussed here in recent days

Well she is so ‘see-through’ I’m not surprised she chooses to pick on Meghan, and her mum Doria who lives very far away across the Atlantic and is very rarely here in the U.K., but not the other married-in who’s had their family at events on many occasions.

The way I see it, so long as the monarch is ok with this Meghan is just as entitled to invite her mum around to things as much as the others do theirs. She is after all very close to her loving, loyal, non-abusive parent who wouldn’t sell her out for all the tea in China.

Last edited:

Personally, I could see where the cheeky Harry swiping a few samosas and getting caught in the act would draw attention not only to Harry but to the samosas. If they're that good that Harry wanted to swipe some, it might be worth the price of the cookbook to see what those samosas are all about. :D

I do prefer the relaxed royal being themselves out among the people and interacting with them but I also know that's just my own personal opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Fail's Platell wrote about Doria taking part in the presentation of the cookbook:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...ke-lovely-mum-Doria-Royal-fixture-Meghan.html
IMHO she gets it wrong. I seriously doubt Meghan will bring her mother to other Royal events. But this book project was not only the first Royal engagement for Meghan as a Solo Royal (Harry was a guest of Meghan's there as well). It was the first project Meghan actively took part in, she worked to create the book and did not just become a Royal patron but was a contributor right from the beginning. A similar thing would be if Catherine actually had an exhibition of her fotos in a gallery and not only open one in her position as Royal patron. I would have thought that in such a case noone would wonder if the whole Middleton-clan showed up to the Vernissage and, at least for me, this cookbook is the same. Meghan obviously feels as part of this community, at least as long as they were producing the book and now she was presenting their joint effort in the book launch. Surely she should have brought her mother and her husband to the celebration of such a personal success?
When a Royal is invited to open up something others created, curated or made happen, then of course, Doria would be at the wrong place, because the focus a Royal brings to the event belongs to the hosts and only them. But in this case it was Meghan's effort as well as that of the other community members and her as the "speaker" of the group can surely show offher project to husband and mother?

The Fail's Platell wrote about Doria taking part in the presentation of the cookbook:
IMHO she gets it wrong. I seriously doubt Meghan will bring her mother to other Royal events.

Yes, for the type of event this was, I can't see any harm in Meghan bringing Doria along.

Still, I hope she doesn't do so often.

(Imagine the outrage, if Carole Middleton trailed along after Kate at an event at the Natural History Museum, for example).:D

Yes, for the type of event this was, I can't see any harm in Meghan bringing Doria along.

Still, I hope she doesn't do so often.

(Imagine the outrage, if Carole Middleton trailed along after Kate at an event at the Natural History Museum, for example).:D

And there is no indication that Doria will go in the future. Meghan has been at a good number of engagements now, and this is the only one. It’s celebrates the women of Hubb and how cooking brings people together and represents more than just a meal. Meghan even specifically mentioned her mother’s influence on her in this regard in the foreword. And as has been discussed, this isn’t unprecedented.

Folks, Meghan’s mother came along as a sign of support. The whole day was a success and the book ‘Together’ is flying off the shelves.

You gotta be worried about folks who have a problem with close families and those who show up to support one another. There was a certain princess long ago that wished she had a family to support her in her royal role.

Can’t wait for her next engagement.

The royal media and royal watchers are learning how the new faces of the British Monarchy are doing things differently. You gotta give the new royals elbow room to do this. You learn from the past and you look to the future with new hope and new vision.

I am very excited as well! I love seein Meghan and Harry together, but I am just as excited to see Meghan set off on her own so I can get a real feel for her as a royal.

Hoping we also get news on patronages in the next month or so.

I'm glad Meghan got her first solo project out there, it was an absolute success. She seemed to be truly in her element, the ladies from the Hubb kitchen adored her, her fist speech was well done, touching and heartfelt. Ad it's amazing to hear, that already from next week the Hubb kitchen will be open daily. The book was a huge hit, and more than exceeded expectations.

I cant wait for next week's engagements. The Oceania expedition is of course so fitting ahead of the tour next month.

Can’t wait for her next engagement.

The royal media and royal watchers are learning how the new faces of the British Monarchy are doing things differently. You gotta give the new royals elbow room to do this. You learn from the past and you look to the future with new hope and new vision.

Oh I definitely agree with you here, Dman. As we're watching the "fab four" do more and more things using different ways of getting the message out, we're reminded that in actuality, its these four people that really are the first string of British royals that are really adept and familiar with our "newfangled" virtual global society where a sneeze can be heard around the world instantly and they're using it to their advantage.

I have to laugh when I think that I belong to an older generation that relied on public television stations, hard copy newspapers and magazines and it was a teenager's prerogative to tie up the only telephone line in the home for hours saying absolutely nothing of grand importance. I still do not have, will not get and do not want a smart phone with web access and stick to ye olde box with a shoestring connected to a typewriter like board. :lol:

Just the fact that the way this incentive was released was innovative and garnered this cookbook a best selling kudo and sold out at places *before* the book was actually released proves to me that they went about this in the best way possible.

The prime focus from the beginning has been on the women of the Hubb Kitchen, their recipes and the cookbook they put together with involvement by Meghan. It sold out and became known as a best seller *before* anyone in the media could put a spin on it and color it with their own opinions. To me, that's a grand fait accompli and warranted the celebration that the reception at KP turned out to be.

Leaves very little room for negative feedback to really have any kind of effect at all. I sincerely hope that more and more incentives are done this way to bypass the opinionated "talking heads" tabloid media and renders them even more obsolete as we head into the future.

Time for a palette cleanser and getting back to the purpose of the project this video and the words from the women themselves talking about the project and the Duchess is heartening.

https://metro.co.uk/video/duchess-s...yal-1766700/?ito=video.mweb.share.top.twitter

“It was shock. We didn’t expect that. But when she’s around us she’s just a loving a person. She’s like one of us.” “The way a person deals with you, you feel that she loves you ..it’s not like she’s acting,no, she’s like a part of us.That’s what we love.”

I think the project was healing for the women and their community but also for Meghan coming to a new and often hostile place to find a group of women who have helped and embraced her. You can tell by the way Doria embraced the women that she already knew their stories and their recipes because Meghan might have told her about them. So Doria being at the event and celebrating a project that helped her daughter acclimate herself and cope with moving to a new country is fitting. Prince Harry himself told the women how Meghan would come home with a smile on her face. For him to see his spouse find a project that gave her purpose especially when dealing with difficult obstacles like the press it must have made him happy to see the end project.

Its funny how the media narrative was that Meghan was isolated, and had no friends but we saw her group of close friends support the book and judging by the words of the women involved in creating the recipes and the book she found new friends and became a part of the community.

Last edited:
I think the criticism of Doris's presence at the launch is their still raging of not being in the loop about the project. I also think they are trying to bait the Markles to weigh in and spoil it. Richard Kay of the Fail already wrote a sob story about Dad. Honestly the Sussexes should not determine if Doria attends events like this out of fear of a new round of slag and drag from anyone. Doria is not attending Trooping.

And even if she was she would be there at the invitation of HM. Does anyone really think that Doria's appearance was not in accordance with HM's and Prince Charles' wishes or at least okayed by them?

One thing that impressed me most during the short time I follow Meghan now is that she tries to make things the way they should be and that she either has or shows (I think she definately has) a lot of respect for the elder members of Harry's family. The way she tried to make sure the queen had the right place in the car during the visit they shared showed me that it was important for her personally and that she didn't want to just follow their assistents but make sure for herself that everything was okay. Yes, she'll learn to trust the staff and she'll learn exactly how things are done but till that moment she is going to use her brain and if she thinks there's a question, she'll ask it.
Or the way she chose her clothes exactly the way that she didn't upstage anyone. Or the respect she showed Camilla at that garden party. A lot of people claimed she got details wrong and that might be true, but I guess what the RF felt was the way Meghan cares for them as persons and for the fact that they are above her in rank.

Harry OTOH knows exactly when to bend the rules and when to follow them. Plus they have that tough lady who formally worked for HM - surely she would have said something to stop them from bringing Doria if it was considered inappropriate.

It's a bit like when the king and queen of Spain go to the cinema as reigning couple of Spain, they go alone or just bring their kids. But we have seen lots of pictures of them being just Felipe and Letizia, going out with friends to the cinema and later for a meal, wearing comfort clothes and just are their private personas. It's the same with Meghan and Harry, I'M sure of it.

Time for a palette cleanser and getting back to the purpose of the project this video and the words from the women themselves talking about the project and the Duchess is heartening.

https://metro.co.uk/video/duchess-s...yal-1766700/?ito=video.mweb.share.top.twitter

“It was shock. We didn’t expect that. But when she’s around us she’s just a loving a person. She’s like one of us.” “The way a person deals with you, you feel that she loves you ..it’s not like she’s acting,no, she’s like a part of us.That’s what we love.”

I think the project was healing for the women and their community but also for Meghan coming to a new and often hostile place to find a group of women who have helped and embraced her. You can tell by the way Doria embraced the women that she already knew their stories and their recipes because Meghan might have told her about them. So Doria being at the event and celebrating a project that helped her daughter acclimate herself and cope with moving to a new country is fitting. Prince Harry himself told the women how Meghan would come home with a smile on her face. For him to see his spouse find a project that gave her purpose especially when dealing with difficult obstacles like the press it must have made him happy to see the end project.

Its funny how the media narrative was that Meghan was isolated, and had no friends but we saw her group of close friends support the book and judging by the words of the women involved in creating the recipes and the book she found new friends and became a part of the community.

Thank you for sharing :flowers: It has been a rough week for me personally, but following this project and the Hubb community has been a real ray of light. The women of extraordinary and their connection with Meghan real. I am also very excited to see what other things they do! It seems like this will indeed be a longer running project for Meghan.

Could this become a patronage? It looks like the Hubb Community Kitchen wants to expand their focus to cooking classes and meals for the elderly and various other things. Could that be considered a charity. As successful as their cookbook is, I'm sure other projects and things would be needed as well to continue funding. Could Meghan continue to put her support towards that?

Also, I love how they got to know each other. Even with Meghan's new position and influence, they just seemed like a bunch of friends gathered together to celebrate a success. I hope the bond they have lasts a long time.

It very well could be a personal patronage for Meghan even with it being under the Royal Foundation. Most people associate the Invictus Games with Harry but don't realize that, that too, is also a project under the Royal Foundation. William has his own United for Wildlife under the Royal Foundation and Kate has hers too.

The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex is one very nice, big umbrella methinks. :D

Also, originally, the Invictus Games were only scheduled for a limited amount of years but its turned into a continuing thing due to its success. I just checked and "Together" is now listed on the Royal Foundation as one of its projects. :cheers:

https://www.royalfoundation.com/project/together-cookbook/

Last edited:
Yes, she clearly said it was 2 years contracted but clearly room for extension. They will cross that bridge in 2 years but I suspect this will be a passion project for a long time for Meghan. Close to her heart.

I think so too. I like how at the top of the Together section it states "Empowering Women and Girls". That does sound like its right up Meghan's alley. ;)

Birks snowflake snowstorm earrings. She's worn them a few times. To be fair to Meghan she recycles her accessories and shoes and pants a ton it's just unfortunate most of them are black so it's hard to tell she is recycling them.

Birks snowflake snowstorm earrings. She's worn them a few times. To be fair to Meghan she recycles her accessories and shoes and pants a ton it's just unfortunate most of them are black so it's hard to tell she is recycling them.

Thanks for the response Fros. I also just realised that I posted this in the wrong thread. Home sick from work, so catching up on the RF is my medicine.

Today's event is Meghan's first solo engagement as a member of the BRF. It also marks the first time her and Harry stepped out together at an event. Yes, it's been exactly an year since lawn tennis at IG. What a year it's been for The Duchess of Sussex.

A video of Meghan leaving. The flashlights! :eek:

Looks like the RPO wasn't near by and Meghan had to close her own car door

Meghan waved to the press before going inside the venue.

People are always split on Royals acknowledging the press because they feel it is too celebrity but I find it's a great thing that shows appreciation and respect to the press.

The younger royals don't make a habit of it but Charles and Camilla always acknowledge the press and its'something the press always note and appreciate.

Looks like the RPO wasn't near by and Meghan had to close her own car door

The RPO stands to the side as they would to get out of the way for photos. Meghan just didn't walk away with the door open.

People are always split on Royals acknowledging the press because they feel it is too celebrity but I find it's a great thing that shows appreciation and respect to the press.

The younger royals don't make a habit of it but Charles and Camilla always acknowledge the press and its'something the press always note and appreciate.

My thing about this is. Everyone is there to do a job. The royal(s) and photographers. And frankly, if they didn't want the photographers and royal rota to be there, they can certainly make it a private engagement. Can someone explain how this process is done? Like does KP invite them, or do they apply, or do they just show up? But bottom line, I don't understand how it's "celebrity" to acknowledge people that are there to cover something you are trying to promote. I can understanding them taking a backseat to greeting the hosts, but a simple wave is hardly anything to sneer at.

Last edited:
Nice to see Meghan on her first solo event.

I agree completely. Meghan seems to be a naturally friendly and sociable person and also being in an acting background it was probably her first instinct to wave at the press. They don't have to pose for photos but it's just nice when royals interact with the press like Meghan did tonight in a simple but civil manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom