British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chester is indeed a very beautiful and historic place. I don't think the Queen's visited the town for a while. I'm sure they'll enjoy their day together there.

Oh this is sooo exciting! What a treat. And the events sound like they will highlight some lovely organizations!

I just look at the place which is Storyhouse Theatre and look at The Duchess of Sussex and see a glimmer of inspiration there. It may possibly be a patronage that Meghan will take on. Wouldn't surprise me. :D

Doh, I hadn't even considered that.

I am interested in seeing Meghan's engagement with the queen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so excited for this!!!! This is going to be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've edited/deleted a few posts. This thread isn't about Daily Mail commentators. Let's stick to the topic, please.

I wonder if she'll feel a little nervous. I know she's done some engagements and also has spent time with the queen before. But, I imagine it might still be a little scary to be doing something professional with the big boss.

Time to fix the public perception after those looks during the wedding. :p

Perhaps but it’s quite a small fish in a big pond, also do you get royal patronage’s of buildings? Genuine question. The centre is known for supporting community groups and has won several awards but I just don’t see what’s so special about it to warrant its opening by The Queen.

My prediction is that this might be the "project" Meghan has been working on behind the scenes - perhaps she'll be working to replicate the Storyhouse model to other parts of the country. This is my guess. And, by attending with QEII, it's a signal that the queen is fully on board with this "project" idea.

I'm so excited that the queen is taking Meghan on a whole day of engagements and less than a month after the wedding! Definitely a sign of her approval and acceptance of Meghan (as if she hadn't already signaled that!). And, I'm really excited that Meghan is staying true to her word that she's a woman who works, not a lady who lunches. The fact that she's ready to get down to work immediately also shows that she's been doing lots of behind the scenes prep work during the engagement period.

Like most of you, I think that Meghan will attend: Trooping the Color, Royal Ascot, the Netherlands tour with Harry, and at least one tiara event this year (probably the diplomatic dinner at the end of the year). I am so excited to see it all!!

As an aside, I hate the BRF website. It is so un-user-friendly. Plus, I'm annoyed that the Duchess of Sussex still has nothing listed in the Court Circular (garden party!) or Future Engagements (Trooping probable, June 14 with the Queen, definite!). Who's running that site?!

Last edited:
My prediction is that this might be the "project" Meghan has been working on behind the scenes - perhaps she'll be working to replicate the Storyhouse model to other parts of the country. This is my guess. And, by attending with QEII, it's a signal that the queen is fully on board with this "project" idea.

I'm so excited that the queen is taking Meghan on a whole day of engagements and less than a month after the wedding! Definitely a sign of her approval and acceptance of Meghan (as if she hadn't already signaled that!). And, I'm really excited that Meghan is staying true to her word that she's a woman who works, not a lady who lunches. The fact that she's ready to get down to work immediately also shows that she's been doing lots of behind the scenes prep work during the engagement period.

Like most of you, I think that Meghan will attend: Trooping the Color, Royal Ascot, the Netherlands tour with Harry, and at least one tiara event this year (probably the diplomatic dinner at the end of the year). I am so excited to see it all!!

As an aside, I hate the BRF website. It is so un-user-friendly. Plus, I'm annoyed that the Duchess of Sussex still has nothing listed in the Court Circular (garden party!) or Future Engagements (Trooping probable, June 14 with the Queen, definite!). Who's running that site?!

She has been in the Court Circular - twice. Her wedding day and the garden party.

22 May 2018
Clarence House

The Prince of Wales, President, the National Trust for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty, this morning received Mr. Timothy Parker (Chairman) and Mrs. Hilary McGrady (Director-General).

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon held a Reception in the garden of Buckingham Palace for The Prince of Wales's patronages, Armed Forces affiliations and others involved in public service to mark His Royal Highness's Seventieth Birthday.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were present.

Her Majesty's Body Guard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms and The Queen's Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard were on duty.

The Band of the Welsh Guards played selections of music during the afternoon.

She has been in the Court Circular - twice. Her wedding day and the garden party.

22 May 2018
Clarence House

The Prince of Wales, President, the National Trust for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty, this morning received Mr. Timothy Parker (Chairman) and Mrs. Hilary McGrady (Director-General).

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon held a Reception in the garden of Buckingham Palace for The Prince of Wales's patronages, Armed Forces affiliations and others involved in public service to mark His Royal Highness's Seventieth Birthday.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were present.

Her Majesty's Body Guard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms and The Queen's Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard were on duty.

The Band of the Welsh Guards played selections of music during the afternoon.

Weird, when I go to the BRF official site and search the Court Circular tab (https://www.royal.uk/court-circular) for Duchess of Sussex, "no results found" is the response I get. Maybe I am doing something wrong? I'm talking about searching for her specifically, not finding her name showing up under someone else's engagement. I find it annoying that her name has been added to the drop down list but you can't find engagements for her by searching on her name. Makes no sense IMO.

Weird, when I go to the BRF official site and search the Court Circular tab (https://www.royal.uk/court-circular) for Duchess of Sussex, "no results found" is the response I get. Maybe I am doing something wrong? I'm talking about searching for her specifically, not finding her name showing up under someone else's engagement. I find it annoying that her name has been added to the drop down list but you can't find engagements for her by searching on her name. Makes no sense IMO.

The events are under Her Majesty the Queen.

Another report about the Queen's and the Duchess of Sussex's planned day of engagements on June 14:

Mad About Meghan

The Storeyhouse Theatre opening is surely a nod to Meghan's prior career. What a solid statement of complete acceptance and support for Meghan by the Queen, just a few weeks after Meghan and Harry marrying. Of course, Meghan was already completely accepted, as seen by her being invited to Sandringham for Christmas, and the Queen having Meghan's rescue dog Guy recently accompany her on a drive to Windsor Castle before the wedding.

I also think that all of the engagements Meghan took on with Harry before marrying while in the midst of preparing for their wedding (and especially the way Meghan has conducted herself with such grace throughout a busy and stressful time), has impressed the Queen.

I wonder if she'll feel a little nervous. I know she's done some engagements and also has spent time with the queen before. But, I imagine it might still be a little scary to be doing something professional with the big boss.

It's been an amazing transition for Meghan already, and her life as a royal is still only just beginning. ?

It seems to me Meghan has long ago come to grips with taking on the role of a lifetime, for the rest of her lifetime. :D If Meghan was able to handle the first meetings with her future royal in-laws, and handle the Christmas gatherings, and handle walking down the aisle in St.George's Chapel, and hit the ground running with public outings so soon after the engagement announcement, she should be okay on June 14 accompanying HM the Queen. Meghan and the Queen are already said to have spent a lot of time together and they apparently get along quite well.

Yes, I get that. I'm trying to understand why they aren't also listed under the Duchess of Sussex.

it is under the "Host" Royal. There is another - mad IMO - example this week where an engagement with HMQ and Camilla is only under Camilla.

Another example are Garden ~Parties - only HMQ mentioned

There was a time when Trooping the Colour only mentioned under HMQ - one or two royals break that now but no mention of PoW, Cambridges, PR etc attending but they will be there.

Over the years I've decided to accept how they do it and ignore logic!

It's been an amazing transition for Meghan already, and her life as a royal is still only just beginning. ?

It seems to me Meghan has long ago come to grips with taking on the role of a lifetime, for the rest of her lifetime. :D If Meghan was able to handle the first meetings with her future royal in-laws, and handle the Christmas gatherings, and handle walking down the aisle in St.George's Chapel, and hit the ground running with public outings so soon after the engagement announcement, she should be okay on June 14 accompanying HM the Queen. Meghan and the Queen are already said to have spent a lot of time together and they apparently get along quite well.

We also have to remember Meghan's biggest hurdle that she had to jump in gaining acceptance by HM. The all importance of being liked and accepted by the Queen's dogs. Seems the dogs took to Meghan right off the bat and if the dogs were that quick to like her (they have barked at Harry for 33 years), then HM *knew* she was a good fit to the family. :D

But seriously though, Meghan is proving that she's as real as they come. She wasn't just giving lip service saying she wanted to work as a member of the BRF but actually is hitting the ground running full speed ahead and getting involved in the thick of how the "Firm" works. She is more of a person that will adjust to married life and working in the family "Firm" by learning hands on rather than needing an "adjustment" period.

I think this day of engagements with Meghan is a singular honour at this stage of the game and is right up there with HM giving Meghan her Assistant Secretary, Samantha Cohen, to help and advise her. I am viewing it as the first practical exam for both Meghan and Samantha.

There’s a number of different things that contribute to Meghan ‘hitting the ground running’

Harry is a full time royal and his wife, no matter who she was, would be expected to be full time also.

KP is a fully functioning court with staff and PR people, it’s own social media etc. None of that existed 7 years ago

Being based in London also helps with the logistics of royal engagements.

So there’s an expectation that Harry and Meghan need to shoulder some of the work right from the start.

There’s a number of different things that contribute to Meghan ‘hitting the ground running’

Harry is a full time royal and his wife, no matter who she was, would be expected to be full time also.

KP is a fully functioning court with staff and PR people, it’s own social media etc. None of that existed 7 years ago

Being based in London also helps with the logistics of royal engagements.

So there’s an expectation that Harry and Meghan need to shoulder some of the work right from the start.

Good points. I'm sure it is to Meghan's advantage to get right to work, as well. She's an outsider, any way you look it, and getting to work right away is important as she assume her new role in her new country.

If you wish to discuss Meghan's future role/patronages and the work she's doing behind the scenes, please take it to her future duties and roles thread. Any further off-topic posts will be deleted.

Yes, I get that. I'm trying to understand why they aren't also listed under the Duchess of Sussex.

Because CC entries are listed under the major royal involved not the royal themselves unless they were the major royal.

Therefore the wedding is under the Queen for everyone and the Garden Party under Charles.

She will end up there herself in time but not for events when she attends them with someone else.

The engagements on the 14th will appear in the CC under the Queen and not under the Duchess of Sussex.

Sometimes you may get a redirect to the Queen for an entry including the Duchess (or other royal) but not always.

it is under the "Host" Royal. There is another - mad IMO - example this week where an engagement with HMQ and Camilla is only under Camilla.

Another example are Garden ~Parties - only HMQ mentioned

There was a time when Trooping the Colour only mentioned under HMQ - one or two royals break that now but no mention of PoW, Cambridges, PR etc attending but they will be there.

Over the years I've decided to accept how they do it and ignore logic!

AH! Thank you very much for that explanation. I agree that it is illogical, lol. It'll make it so difficult to find events for people...so odd. Especially since neither BRF nor KP twitter have publicized Meghan attending this event (also odd, IMO, that KP twitter hasn't mentioned it).

Thx cepe!

Because CC entries are listed under the major royal involved not the royal themselves unless they were the major royal.

Therefore the wedding is under the Queen for everyone and the Garden Party under Charles.

She will end up there herself in time but not for events when she attends them with someone else.

The engagements on the 14th will appear in the CC under the Queen and not under the Duchess of Sussex.

Sometimes you may get a redirect to the Queen for an entry including the Duchess (or other royal) but not always.

Thank you as well for the info.

Perhaps but it’s quite a small fish in a big pond, also do you get royal patronage’s of buildings? Genuine question. The centre is known for supporting community groups and has won several awards but I just don’t see what’s so special about it to warrant its opening by The Queen.

Don't forget the RF (or their staff) are quite good record keepers and are known to ensure towns and cities get high profile royal visits every 10 years or so. I think the last time the Queen visited Chester was part of the 2012 jubilee tour when she and Philip visited Chester Zoo, which actually isn't in the city itself. I think they were likely attracted by the bridge opening (a massive, billion pound project) and when liaising with the lord lieutenant's office it was probably pointed out that the theatre was due an "official" opening by somebody to. It may well be it was thought by somebody as appropriate or of greater interest given Meghan's past.

Also, if you look at some of the things the royals, including the Queen, visit they seem pretty "small time" to a wider audience but that doesn't mean they are important to those in the locality. Anyway, can you tell I'm from Chester so I'll get off my high horse and be glad we are getting such a high profile royal visit.

I wonder if they will stop off at the Duke of Westminster's Eaton Hall home at some point? It really is only 10minutes from where they will be.

Last edited:
Rebecca English

Verified account

@RE_DailyMail
Follow Follow @RE_DailyMail
More Rebecca English Retweeted Rebecca English
Regards the royal train, it cost £900,000 to run in 2016/17 and was used just 14 times in 12 months. It is only available to the Queen, Philip, Charles and Camilla - I'm not even sure that William, Kate or Harry will have been on it officially. So quite a first for #Meghan.

Wonder what it's like inside that train? And YAY royal walkabout with HMQ and DoS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom