British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that Camilla quietly signaled for Meghan to come closer when Harry went to the podium for his speech. She must realize that the new Duchess has been briefed about what to do, but might not be certain about how to navigate every time people move out of their position.

I think it went very well, and liked Harry's speech. It was nice that Harry, Meghan, Charles and Camilla seem to be getting on so well together as well.

Rhiannon Mills is reporting that the Harry and Meghan wanted to attend the event when they found out. And when the date was set and they realized it was three days after their wedding, they still insisted on coming to support the Prince of Wales.

Two lovely pictures! It seems clear to me that they are a loving and united family unit!

The Earl and Countess of Wessex held a reception for young people, who have achieved the Gold Standard in the Award, at the Buckingham Palace Gardens today, May 24. Princess Beatrice attended as well:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Last edited:
You’re right. I was going off the names on the invitation. William before Edward.

"
"You have inspired William and I, and looking out here today, it is clear to see that we are not alone. You have created an incredible body of work that has, and will continue to make such a huge difference to so many people's lives both here and around the world"

Prince Harry interrupted by a bumblebee during speech | Daily Mail Online

I mean, pretty strong words from Harry ....

Now this is reassuring, even a prince makes mistakes while speaking in public.
In his speech, when he says
".....it has certainly inspired William and I" is a grammatical error in correct english, ...it has inspired US, here an object pronoun instead of a subject pronoun is needed, he should have said "...it has certainly inspired William and ME"...
As a English as a second language speaker, I tend to be petty, sorry :whistling::whistling:

Last edited:
Is the next big event for the BRF Trooping of the Color? Can't wait to see Meghan on the balcony of Buckingham Palace along with Harry and the rest of the BRF. But will Eugenie's fiance Jack be on the balcony if Eugenie goes?

I'm a little late but I loved the photos of the Sussexes with Charles and Camilla. It appears that they have a very warm relationship and it was really nice to see them being so openly friendly towards one another. I agree with those who have said we need more photos of the BRF like this! They were just really natural moments.

"

".....it has certainly inspired William and I" is a grammatical error in correct english, ...it has inspired US, here an object pronoun instead of a subject pronoun is needed, he should have said "...it has certainly inspired William and ME"...
As a English as a second language speaker, I tend to be petty, sorry :whistling::whistling:

Your English is impeccable and I admire that in a person that doesn't have English as their native language.

Then again, a lot of us that do speak English as our first language can and do have the option of proclaiming that their grammar wears army boots. :D

I think the difference is between the written word and the spoken word is that a lot of times when speaking, using conversational grammar as opposed to grammatically correct language makes the difference between talking to people and talking at people.

"

It is very common to use the wrong pronoun -even by people who should know better. I know I was taught to say the sentence without "Name and" to check for the correct pronoun.?

Either William and me, or us is correct. Just take out William read the sentence. That should make it crystal clear.

Actually, I went in search of an answer to this and this is what I found.

"In sentence a), Jenny and me/I are the subjects of the verb joined. Therefore, the subject pronoun, I, is considered correct. You will certainly hear native speakers say, “Jenny and me,” and it may be acceptable in spoken English, but most traditional grammarians and English teachers will disapprove."

Now that we got it all sorted out and Harry didn't obviously flunk English grammar, back to Harry and his family supporting their "Grammar". :D

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/qa/when-to-use-i-and-when-to-use-me

Actually, I went in search of an answer to this and this is what I found.

"In sentence a), Jenny and me/I are the subjects of the verb joined. Therefore, the subject pronoun, I, is considered correct. You will certainly hear native speakers say, “Jenny and me,” and it may be acceptable in spoken English, but most traditional grammarians and English teachers will disapprove."

Now that we got it all sorted out and Harry didn't obviously flunk English grammar, back to Harry and his family supporting their "Grammar". :D

When to use "I" and when to use "me" | Ask The Editor | Learner's Dictionary

In the sentence "William and I were inspired..." one would use "I was inspired..." not "Me was inspired."

However, if the sentence is "You have inspired William and me" you would say "You have inspired me" not "You have inspired I."

That is how you check for the correct pronoun.:flowers:

I think Mail online is edited by high school students. The Queen may be in Balmoral but she’s certainly not on break. As you say there’s more big royal events to come.

She doesn't go to Balmoral till July I think?

LaRae

No, she’s not at Balmoral Castle. She stay at Craigowan Lodge on the Castle’s ground before starting her actual Balmoral stay and that’s not until late July early August.

As it's a bank holiday weekend here in the UK perhaps HM and the Wessexes decided to take a short break at Balmoral together. As others have said, summer holiday for HM doesn't start until July so they'll all probably be back by Tuesday.

I think Mail online is edited by high school students. The Queen may be in Balmoral but she’s certainly not on break. As you say there’s more big royal events to come.

Quite insulting to high school students! :D

The castle is still open to the public so HM must be staying elsewhere, probably Craigowan Lodge. We know the royals use the Balmoral and Sandringham estates more than they use the main houses.

I do wish the Queen would wear a seat belt like her granddaughter is doing. Not only is she breaking the law (unless she has a medical certificate saying there is a medical reason why she can't wear one) but it sets a bad example. Seat belts save lives and health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom