British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:Lady Nimue
I am glad I wasn't the only one that saw that Lady Nimue, I am wondering something here, even though Meghan is a worldly lady, knows her way around the world and takes care of herself long before Harry, isn't this a new and very surreal world of royals that she has stepped into. I mean we are all here on the outside looking in, she is now on the inside looking out.....think about the huge difference and all the ins and outs that she has to learn not just in dressing for the part of being a duchess now. All the history, protocols, traditions and learning a very different way of living completely inside that gold fish bowl. I think it could be at times completely overwhelming and shocking to her. Sure she is strong, intelligent, knowledgeable, hard working and beautiful, yet this is a very small world of royals out there that is a fiercely private and they only show us what they want us to see, not what we want to see, a huge difference in her life I am darn sure.

:previous: Lady Nimue
I am glad I wasn't the only one that saw that Lady Nimue, I am wondering something here, even though Meghan is a worldly lady, knows her way around the world and takes care of herself long before Harry, isn't this a new and very surreal world of royals that she has stepped into. I mean we are all here on the outside looking in, she is now on the inside looking out.....think about the huge difference and all the ins and outs that she has to learn not just in dressing for the part of being a duchess now. All the history, protocols, traditions and learning a very different way of living completely inside that gold fish bowl. I think it could be at times completely overwhelming and shocking to her. Sure she is strong, intelligent, knowledgeable, hard working and beautiful, yet this is a very small world of royals out there that is a fiercely private and they only show us what they want us to see, not what we want to see, a huge difference in her life I am darn sure.

Thanks, M.Payton. :flowers: What went through my mind was this whole thing about Kate 'popping up' (which was great and I'm glad she did it: always nice to get away from the bairns however much one loves them ;) ). So if Kate had not been there, maybe William would have been in that place, with Meghan in between William and Harry, so that her placement took her by surprise, maybe? Silly speculation on my part. I'm sure Harry was totally aware where it was 'correct' for Meghan to be standing.

The way she was moving, and it was a continuous movement to get behind Harry, very intentional ;) , was like something had just happened. Had she been (unexpectedly) snapped at? Had she gotten (unawares) 'too close' physically? Doesn't seem possible, but then why was she moving like that? Do you have any speculations?

P.S. I wonder if I can find the video piece? I can't recall where I saw it. Might you?

Last edited:
I think you are reading too much into what she's doing there.

Video of the entire balcony appearance, and again look at those crowds:

@M.Payton At 14:21 look at Meghan standing beside Harry and looking up at him. Harry looks usually grim. (For that matter William and Kate are stony faced, too). I know the anthem is being played but the facial expressions on Meghan and Harry seem to me unusual even for a solemn moment. ;) ?

The Queen seems to have placed herself very much next to Camilla and Charles, but as she left there is a flashing smile between Queen and Meghan. Maybe that was when Meghan did the pull back when she was making way for the Queen's exit from the balcony. Some other video shows that moment of Meghan making sure she would be out-of-the-way. Maybe that's it. Would help if I could find the snippet. ;) A mystery here.

Tend to agree with jacqui24 here. Harry seems to have carved out a permanent spot in the second row. Same place he was for Trooping. Even though there was room to move up front he didn't seem inclined to do so. Meghan's just following his lead. Only time she moved behind was to allow HMQ to exit.

Tend to agree with jacqui24 here. Harry seems to have carved out a permanent spot in the second row. Same place he was for Trooping. Even though there was room to move up front he didn't seem inclined to do so. Meghan's just following his lead. Only time she moved behind was to allow HMQ to exit.

Okay, Sounds about right. Thank you, Royal Suitor. :flowers:

:previous:
I also saw that Lady Nimue and wondered, why so many grim faces today? It seems to me this is not a happy group of campers at all......and they have every reason in the world to be more then extremely happy if you ask me....:lol:. I like I said I do think this is all a huge scary at times, overwhelming and unsure which is up or what is down right now for Meghan. Sure the Irish tour is just her and Harry and they know just what to do, yet all these events and traditions that the BRF have is so *new* to her, this is a huge learning experience if ever there was one for her right now......so I can understand if she steps back for the queen or wants to put herself a few steps out of sight for the time being....after all she is in the position of sinking or swimming here.....all those other people there know all the ins and outs of what to do, every step they take has been done dozens of time before, Meghan is learning from all of them right now......she is in a very unique position I would say. More power to her for she needs it....:lol:

I know what you guys are talking about. Meghan moved a bit behind Harry to make sure The Queen was the ultimate center of attention during the Feu de Joie. Camilla did the same thing. Meghan looked so proud as the RAF gave three cheers to Her Majesty The Queen. It was a beautiful moment.

So, no, nothing happened to Meghan.

Last edited:
:previous: I also saw that Lady Nimue and wondered, why so many grim faces today? It seems to me this is not a happy group of campers at all......and they have every reason in the world to be more then extremely happy if you ask me....:lol:.

Thanks, M.Payton. ;) It wasn't just on the balcony. Particularly Kate struck me, after yesterday's radiance. Maybe they were all just tired from yesterday. We will never know what goes on behind the scenes, that's for sure. Meghan now knows.

I do happen to think the young royals are now realizing that the weight of the monarchy are falling on them and it’s for them to carry into the future. Especially with Prince Philip retired and The Queen stepping back a bit. The future they used to run from and didn’t have to worry so much about is now here.

:previous:
That is very good insight on this family. Even with Charles someday hopefully far off in the future the younger kids so to speak....:lol: just might be getting the drift of what they are expected to carry out for the future here. I for one hope none of the royal traditions are discontinued as they are a huge part of the country's history from hundreds of years ago. That to me is a large part of my love for this country on how they keep that so alive and vibrant today. I really love to see how much William and Catherine have grown and developed over the years with all the new responsibilities that are coming their way and now with Harry finally finding his soulmate, I see things falling into place for the future here. One thing that really stands out for me is the brotherly love between the 2 boys since children...they still have it today in what they do. In looking at some of the pictures of the 2 of them recently they know just who they are and what they have to do going forward.. ?

I suspect people here think about who's standing where on the BP balcony much, much more than the actual royals do.

why so many grim faces today?

Just a theory on my part, but I was just to the left of the Victoria Memorial yesterday, watching the Fly-past at that very moment, amidst that vast crowd of appreciative well-wishers.
The dust thrown up from hundreds of thousands of Feet traipsing over the BONE DRY ground of both St James' and Green Parks was indescribable and quite uncomfortable to the eyes, and must have been more so to those high up on the Balcony. It seems likely to me that this was the cause of the grimaces.
London has has no rain for FORTY DAYS, and the lawns of the Parks are brown and completely parched..And there appears no prospect of Rain in the next weeks..

Last edited:
British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 -

Sidenote: the article on the front page of TRF states that for example Anne and Timothy were not present for the fly-past (and doesn't mention many of the others who were present). However, all senior royals -including the duchess of Kent!- seemed to have turned up (the only ones that I cannot see on these pictures are princess Alexandra and prince Michael but they might be standing next to princess Michael - unfortunately not the full balcony was covered). See PPE.

Well, I wrote that article. I will ask a blog moderator to change it. It’s an easy mistake to make when there aren’t many photos of the said royals in question on the balcony. I try to make my articles as accurate as possible so that things like this won’t happen: but this was just purely a mistake on my part as the appearance from other royals on the balcony wasn’t covered much.

Last edited:
Sidenote: the article on the front page of TRF states that for example Anne and Timothy were not present for the fly-past (and doesn't mention many of the others who were present). However, all senior royals -including the duchess of Kent!- seemed to have turned up (the only ones that I cannot see on these pictures are princess Alexandra and prince Michael but they might be standing next to princess Michael - unfortunately not the full balcony was covered). See PPE.
The lady labelled as the Duchess of Kent is in fact her sister in law Princess Alexandra. Prince Michael was indeed to the right of his wife.

Well, the RAF is only going to celebrate it's centenary once so it was the biggest fly past in 50 years I think. However, the heat coming up from to concrete and tarmac below would have added to their general discomfort.

Looking up into a bright blue sky with not a pair of sunglasses in sight would be no picnic and cause great squinting and frowning.

The things that tickled my fancy were:

Seeing Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence standing on the balcony wearing best naval dress uniform with medals and ribbons was a treat.

William moving Catherine along and motioning for Meghan and Harry to move forward for a cracking view of the fly past, shows a wonderful generousity of spirit.

The Queen watching the fly past with the unrestrained joy and excitement of a child.

Megan watching HM's excitement with a beautiful smile and eyes that sparkled every bit as much as HM's.

Harry looking exquisitely uncomfortable in his new RAF uniform.

He always seemed quite tense on that balcony. I used to think maybe it's because of uniform, but I've seen him in lighter mood in his uniform elsewhere.

I have to say, I really enjoy those few seconds of clips that show them before they walk out on the balcony and, in particular, I enjoy seeing Charles and Camilla in those clips. I know that Charles, in particular, can come across as a bit cold and stodgy and removed but I love how you always see him smile and appear to share a joke and pleasantries in those clips. I'm never sure if it's with family members or with staff opening the doors but it's nice to see those small glimpses of the man that I suspect he is behind closed doors. Camilla, too, always comes across so pleasantly in those small clips. There's always gossip about the RF not liking Camilla, Kate and Camilla having a spat, Camilla being kept away from the Cambridge kids, etc. but in these small glimpses it seems that none of that is true since she always appears to be smiling and making small talk with the family and the staff. Even clips like we saw last week of her waving to Charlotte when the helicopter was leaving KP...that's not the kind of thing that one does with a stepgrandparent one is uncomfortable with, especially not at so young an age and I love the fact that Camilla was happy to smile and wave back. Just my two cents but those humanizing clips of personal interactions always make things like this so much more fun for me to watch.

Just a theory on my part, but I was just to the left of the Victoria Memorial yesterday, watching the Fly-past at that very moment, amidst that vast crowd of appreciative well-wishers.

The dust thrown up from hundreds of thousands of Feet traipsing over the BONE DRY ground of both St James' and Green Parks was indescribable and quite uncomfortable to the eyes, and must have been more so to those high up on the Balcony. It seems likely to me that this was the cause of the grimaces.
London has has no rain for FORTY DAYS, and the lawns of the Parks are brown and completely parched..And there appears no prospect of Rain in the next weeks.

Good Glory! :huh: That explains someone's comment I recently overheard stating that England has become Mediterranean in it's weather recently (I assume not it's climate, quite yet).

The Duke of Kent and Prince Michael of Kent attended the International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire yesterday, July 13. Princess Anne joined the Air Tattoo dinner:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** rex gallery **

Last edited:
The Queen has arrived in Scotland for the summer holidays and BP opens to the public tomorrow. That’s about it until the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom