British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder about the logistics of this event. Does William have to travel separately from his father just in case? Prince Andrew as regent for King George VII for many years not really good situation for going forward after the Queen's passing.

Both Harry and William did their grandmother proud. Very dignified, respectful and definitely emotional. It sent shivers up my spine watching this.

I just really wish that these were the only kind of rememberances we needed to have. WWI was supposed to be the war to end all wars. Little could they have dreamed.

Princes Charles, William and Harry have joined together in France to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge and honour the sacrifice of Canadian troops.

Vimy Ridge, in which 3,598 Canadians died, was fought in 1917 in northern France during the First World War.

The battle was a strategic victory for the Allies and forms an important part of Canada's national identity - commemorated on the back of their $20 note.

The royals were joined by France's President Francois Hollande and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau who all attended a ceremony at the site of the conflict on Sunday.

A special message from the Queen also praised the "courage" and "ingenuity" of Canadian troops.
Read more: Royals mark Battle of Vimy Ridge centenary in France as Queen praises Canadian sacrifice - ITV News

Thank you so much Royal Norway for putting this link up with the memorial of Vimy Ridge in its entirety. I'm watching it now (beautifully closed captioned too) and already there are serious lumps in my throat. Its estimated that it could be 10,000 Canadian schoolchildren who have traveled to be there for this historic occasion.

Back to the video I goes. Thanks much again. :flowers:

I wonder about the logistics of this event. Does William have to travel separately from his father just in case? Prince Andrew as regent for King George VII for many years not really good situation for going forward after the Queen's passing.

With the exception of the return from Switzerland when the Queen Mother died William hasn't been allowed to fly with his father since he was 12. They made an exception when the QM died so that none of the three of them had to fly back alone.

Assuming they flew to France, rather than caught the train, then yes William and Charles should have flown separately.

It had to be later then when William was 12 when they stopped flying together. Charles, William and Harry went to Canada on a tour after Diana died but William was still a teen. I can't imagine they made him fly separately on the tour.

Very nice to see Charles with his sons, I can't remember the last time I saw just the 3 of them together.

Probably that photo call skiing right before the Queen Mum died.

Very nice to see Charles with his sons, I can't remember the last time I saw just the 3 of them together.

They did an official engagement together just a couple of years ago. It's just that the three of them aren't together often. I wish they could do more together and include Camilla and Catherine.

That bloody battle of Vimy Ridge (bloody in all senses) was in a way a very sad coming of age for Canada as a nation, as Galipolli was for us Aussies. A sad awakening in an unnecessary war, a war in which Britain and its Empire lost nearly a million war dead. This commemoration was terribly moving and I'm so glad the three Princes were there to pay tribute to the bravery of these young men, as of course was PM Trudeau and many many proud Canadians. The theme of poppies in boots was tremendous I thought.

It had to be later then when William was 12 when they stopped flying together. Charles, William and Harry went to Canada on a tour after Diana died but William was still a teen. I can't imagine they made him fly separately on the tour.

They flew on different flights. Harry and Charles arrived a day or so before William. William had Tiggy with him on the other plane.

They had to actually change the law in 1983 when Diana insisted on taking William to Australia and so the age was given as 12 and they stuck to that until the QM's death when they made an exception.

William arrived later. It was on the news how he was greeted by throngs of screaming girls.

I'm pretty sure I saw Autumn Philips at the ceremony. She was in the second row.

That bloody battle of Vimy Ridge (bloody in all senses) was in a way a very sad coming of age for Canada as a nation, as Galipolli was for us Aussies. A sad awakening in an unnecessary war, a war in which Britain and its Empire lost nearly a million war dead. This commemoration was terribly moving and I'm so glad the three Princes were there to pay tribute to the bravery of these young men, as of course was PM Trudeau and many many proud Canadians. The theme of poppies in boots was tremendous I thought.

I actually spent most of today sitting and watching the ceremony of remembrance of Vimy Ridge in its entirety. One commentator told the story of how he was interrupted by a French national who had to tell him that the soil around Vimy Ridge is white and red. White because its similar to the white cliffs of Dover and red from all the Canadian blood spilt there during the taking of Vimy Ridge. Very touching. So many Canadians were there and shared their own personal stories and the entire trip made a deep impact on the thousands of students that journeyed to be there at this historic occasion.

What I thought was very, very fitting is that Charles, William and Harry were there as during the presentation of the lead in to the ceremonies, they showed clips quite a few times of King Edward VIII unveiling the monument and dedicating it in 1936.

All in all, it was quite touching. I just wish the world had learned their lessons better from the battles of WWI and WWII and the losses the world suffered because of them.

"How many deaths will it take till he knows; that too many people have died?"
~~ From Nobel Prize Winner Bob Dylan's "Blowin' In The Wind"

The Battle of Vimy Ridge marked the first time all four Canadian divisions of the 1st Canadian Corps, numbering 98,000 troops, fought as a complete unit.

In the four-day battle, 3,600 Canadians died and four Victoria Crosses were awarded.

Indeed a defining moment in Canadian history.

Last edited:
The Battle of Vimy Ridge marked the first time all four Canadian divisions of the 1st Canadian Corps, numbering 98,000 troops, fought as a complete unit.

In the four-day battle, 3,600 Canadians died and four Victoria Crosses were awarded.

Indeed a defining moment in Canadian history.

I saw it mentioned several times that it was at the battle of Vimy Ridge that Canadian Nationalism and pride in one's country was really solidified. What I also found impressive is that there were those of the First Nation that participated as true and loyal Canadians and they were remembered well.

I really enjoyed seeing the fly past of the 5 WWI era planes that were replicas of the ones used during the battle. Had the song "Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron" going through my head ever since. (OK... I'm showing my age and I don't care.) :D

Last edited:
Narrated by Canadian William Shatner

To commemorate the 100th anniversary of Battle of Vimy Ridge, Legion Magazine, Canada’s Ultimate Story and William Shatner tell the story of this important First World War battle.

Our victory at Vimy was a defining event for Canada. On the 100th anniversary, we revisit the Canadian triumph over the German army and explore why the battle has come to signify the birth of our nation. We ask you to share with #Vimy100 #LestWeForget or #VimyRidge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMJ_yjchLrc

That really is an awesome picture of the three of them. On one hand, I can see how there's a lot of resemblance between Charles and Harry and William has more of the features that his mother had.

These three men are very close and all three of them did their monarch and their country proud with their attendance and participation.

That really is an awesome picture of the three of them. On one hand, I can see how there's a lot of resemblance between Charles and Harry and William has more of the features that his mother had.

These three men are very close and all three of them did their monarch and their country proud with their attendance and participation.

Yes, it's so nice to see the three future heads of the British Monarchy attending this event. I'm glad all of them made the papers.

Yes, it's so nice to see the three future heads of the British Monarchy attending this event. I'm glad all of them made the papers.

When is Harry going to be Head of the British Monarchy?

He's a senior royal and will be a great help to his father and brother. They are the future. I'm not talking as a monarch.

Indeed the Princes were a welcome addition to the 100th commemoration of the Battle at Vimy Ridge, also witnessed by 10,000 Canadian teenagers who will never forget this stupendous event of memory. One only hopes that all wore gobs of sun protection, as I fear many painful souvenirs will cause sleepless nights during the next few days! Bravo le Canada et la France!:flowers:

Well, if the Ginger Extremist is ever let out of jail/mental health facility, I suppose he could carry out his previous assassination plans. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom