Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:49 PM
Commoner

The Queen celebrates the Aga Khan's diamond jubilee | Daily Mail Online

The Queen looks stunning!

Old 03-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Administrator

The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry hosted a reception for the winners of The Met Excellence Awards at Kensington Palace today, March 13:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery ** dailymail article **

Old 03-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Aristocracy

[Not sure if right thread]

According to the government, no member of the BRF is to attend the 2018 World Cup in Russia following the most recent diplomatic spat with Britain.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

It was inevitable that the Duke of Cambridge would no longer attend the World Cup in Russia, after the [inevitable] conclusion that agents of the Russian State have attempted to murder a British citizen [and his daughter] on our Sovereign territory, using Nerve agents outlawed WORLDWIDE, and manufactured in the Russian Federation.

I think it is possible that Britain may invoke article 5 of the NATO treaty [that an act of aggression against one, is aggression against ALL], and that therefore a boycott of the World Cup, by participating Teams [not merely by officials and dignitaries], is a distinct possibility.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Heard the story today...21 folks are in the hospital and no one knows if they will survive??

Seems like the PM came just short of invoking article 5 ...Putin was sure quick to toss down the nuke threat.

LaRae
Old 03-14-2018, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
no one knows if they will survive??
MINISCULE amounts of this Nerve agent can be lethal..and those effects can take years to manifest [according to its 'co-inventor'].
Since this is the 2nd time an [ex] Russian British Citizen has been attacked here, by agents of Putin's [the last one died HORRIBLY], it is [rightly] being treated with the utmost seriousness, and our allies [or some of them] are properly 'onside'..
Old 03-14-2018, 02:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
MINISCULE amounts of this Nerve agent can be lethal..and those effects can take years to manifest [according to its 'co-inventor'].
Since this is the 2nd time an [ex] Russian British Citizen has been attacked here, by agents of Putin's [the last one died HORRIBLY], it is [rightly] being treated with the utmost seriousness, and our allies [or some of them] are properly 'onside'..
I was in the car today and happened to hear a discussion on the radio about it. They went into quite a bit of detail. I guess the co-developer of this drug defected to the U.S. at some point and that's how we know about it and that it exists cause Russia didn't disclose that one to the UN (or whatever body governs the biological weapons).

They said the drug is 10 times worse/stronger than the V agent (sorry don't remember the numbers), has no cure and causes extreme pain. The purpose of it really isn't to kill but to cause fear/suffering...example to others. I guess the theory is they smuggled it into the U.K. via diplomatic pouch.

I would hope that all of the UK's allies would be on board about standing up to Putin and their methods.

LaRae
Old 03-14-2018, 03:07 PM
Courtier

I would not call it a diplomatic spat. The Russian government attempted to murder British citizens for political reasons. I don't see how this isn't an actual attack, maybe even state-sponsored terrorism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I was in the car today and happened to hear a discussion on the radio about it. They went into quite a bit of detail. I guess the co-developer of this drug defected to the U.S. at some point and that's how we know about it and that it exists cause Russia didn't disclose that one to the UN (or whatever body governs the biological weapons).

They said the drug is 10 times worse/stronger than the V agent (sorry don't remember the numbers), has no cure and causes extreme pain. The purpose of it really isn't to kill but to cause fear/suffering...example to others. I guess the theory is they smuggled it into the U.K. via diplomatic pouch.

I would hope that all of the UK's allies would be on board about standing up to Putin and their methods.

LaRae
I would hope so, too, but sadly I don't think this is the case.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This story comes straight on the heels of Russia, as a country, being barred from the Olympics because of state sponsored massive doping schemes for their athletes.

Is it possible that FIFA would remove the World Cup finals from being in Russia? I know its scheduled for June. My sympathies are for all the teams that are participating. They should be able to hold their finals without scandals and political issues surrounding them.
"All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life : he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." - Chief Seattle 1854
Old 03-14-2018, 03:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Is it possible that FIFA would remove the World Cup finals from being in Russia? I know its scheduled for June. My sympathies are for all the teams that are participating. They should be able to hold their finals without scandals and political issues surrounding them.
I very much doubt it. With millions invested on these events, FIFA wouldn't do it. At the end of the day they care about the money, not about politics.

At the same time, it's very unlikely Russia will ban England's team. It would be a PR disaster and I'm sure other national teams would would refuse to participate out of solidarity.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Is it possible that FIFA would remove the World Cup finals from being in Russia?
I think that's HIGHLY unlikely, since FIFA is renowned for the 'maverick' nature of it's decision, which are widely regarded as being [often] subject to corrupt Financial influence.
This was the case with the awarding of the World Cup to Russia this year, and [yet more so] for the award of the next world cup to Qatar [where temperatures reach 'unplayable' levels during the Month the matches are scheduled]..
Sanity [and decency] matter NOT a JOT to FIFA, the only thing 'that talks' is MONEY..
Old 03-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

wyevale anything new come out today from the PM?

LaRae
Old 03-14-2018, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
anything new come out today from the PM?
23 Russian diplomats “identified as undeclared intelligence officers” expelled, and given one week to leave Britain.
There will be no attendance by ministers — or indeed members of the royal family — at this summer’s World Cup in Russia
Russian state assets frozen, wherever we have the evidence that they may be used to threaten the life or property of UK nationals or residents.
Pledge to “urgently” develop new legislation to give law enforcement the ability to detain those “suspected of hostile state activity” trying to enter Britain.
Such a power is currently only used against terrorism suspects.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Gosh I'd think their actions would already fall into the terrorism category....

LaRae
Old 03-14-2018, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Today, March 14, The Prince of Wales hosted a reception on behalf of Queen Elizabeth to celebrate nursing in the UK. The Countess of Wessex as Patron of the Nursing Memorial Appeal and as Colonel-in-Chief of Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps attended as well:

** gettyimages gallery ** dailymail article **
Old 03-14-2018, 05:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Gosh I'd think their actions would already fall into the terrorism category....

LaRae
Make that "State Sponsored Terrorism". I am surprised that the UK hasn't pulled the national team for the World Cup, just as I am surprised that people call this "politics".

Using a nerve agent in a foreign country is terrorism and victims who may die in pain and what is the prognosis for those that may survive? Physically and mentally they will never be the same.

For this, I am so happy that there will be no royal representation from the UK
Old 03-14-2018, 05:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

They may still pull them...as may other countries, as this goes along.

LaRae
Old 03-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

They may still pull them...as may other countries, as this goes along.

LaRae
Old 03-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

It has been posited that Russia's motive for doing this NOW, has been that the UK would withdraw the Team, thus allowing the Russians to claim 'sour grapes' because they 'won' the bid over London.
It is also in the immediate 'run up ' to the Russian Presidential Elections, and plays to Mr Putin's claim that A] he has 'reach' in 'the West', B] and that Russia is unfairly treated by that same 'West'.
It may be warped but this will play well with the average 'Ivan' on the street..
Old 03-14-2018, 06:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

He's something else....

LaRae

Closed Thread