British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: HM with her amazing smile is looking great.

Article from the Telegraph:
Queen meets Bletchley Park veteran to help mark the centenary of the Women's Royal Naval Service
The Queen met a Bletchley Park veteran as she helped mark the centenary of the Women's Royal Naval Service (WRNS) and the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps.

The visit to the Army and Navy Club was the Queen's first public event in London since her Balmoral summer break.

It comes a day after the announcement she will not lay a wreath at the Cenotaph this year as part of the annual Remembrance Sunday ceremony.

Video from ITN:

I would imagine that HM really enjoyed this centenary as she can personally identify with it. The Queen was a truck mechanic for the Auxiliary Territorial Service which was the women's branch of the British Army during WWII.

I would imagine that HM really enjoyed this centenary as she can personally identify with it. The Queen was a truck mechanic for the Auxiliary Territorial Service which was the women's branch of the British Army during WWII.

She is Patron - it is a Naval event.

She is Patron - it is a Naval event.

Actually, with reading the article, it states that the Queen met a Bletchley Park veteran as she helped mark the centenary of the Women's Royal Naval Service (WRNS) and the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps. :D

A long quote from a very long, but pretty good Fail article from Rebecca English tonight - really worth a read - see eya's post 427.

She also met three sprightly ladies - aged 90, 92 and 94 - who, like her, served in the Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) during the Second World War, the Queen, 91, smiled and remarked: 'You're looking well on it.'

'And so, may I say, are you,' said Joan De-Val, a truly youthful-looking 92.

Among the ladies she met was Betty Ebb, 94, from Birmingham, who worked with the legendary code breakers at Bletchley Park.

The Queen, who has taken a keen interest in the work undertaken there, exclaimed: 'Bletchley Park!' when they were introduced.

Mrs Ebb worked registering the messages that came in for the code breakers and only found out two years ago that her department dealt with those referring to the Holocaust.

The Queen appeared fascinated and could be heard to say: 'And yes many have only found out recently, haven't they?'

Despite being a year older than Barbara Danter, 90, from Nottingham, who served in the ATS from 1941-44, she bent down to talk to her in her wheelchair, asking about what she did.

'She is such a remarkable woman,' said Mrs Danter.

'I told her about how I used to work in the post office, getting the letters, packages and parcels to the troops abroad. She seemed very interested.'

Joan De-Val, 92, who worked with the anti aircraft troops on the south coast, said of their meeting: 'When I told her what I had done she said 'you were busy'. She really is fantastic. There's not a lot of ladies who are still working in the way she is at the age of 90. Let's be honest, there are very few of us who would swap their lives for hers.'

All three ladies said they would be at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday and asked about her recent decision not to lay a wreath any more, Mrs De-Val said: 'I really don't blame her. She has to stand on her feet for such a long time. I think we are all very grateful for what she has done for us and is continuing to do. None of us could do it!'

In a speech, Colonel Ian Paterson, chairman of the Army and Navy Club, thanked the Queen for her support over the years.

Referring to some work that is being done on its historical Pall Mall building, he said they'll call on her in a few more years to officially re-open it, promoting the monarch to give a comical toss of her head and a snort.
Some tweets from Rebecca English tonight:

Rebecca @RE_DailyMail
I'm with the Queen tonight at the Army & Navy Club as she undertakes her first official engagement in London since returning from Balmoral - photos:

Rebecca English‏ @RE_DailyMail
The Queen arrives at the Army and Navy Club:

Video: The Queen arrives at the Army and Navy Club:

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail
Video: The Queen seems on very good form tonight, smiling broadly - the Highland air clearly agrees with her!:

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
The Queen, 91, speaks to fellow ATS lady Barbara Danter, 90:

Video: Don't you just love the way HM - 91 - is bending down to speak to fellow ATS lady Barbara, 90?:
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/918535791508418560

The Queen signs a visitors book before she leaves:
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/918542915814739971

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
Video: The Queen was on her feet for 45 minutes tonight and on sparkling form as she celebrated the centenary of the WRNS and the WRAC:
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/918554055227604996

The magnificent ATS ladies - Barbara, 90, Joan, 92 & Betty, 94, (l-r) - who met HM. I definitely want a pinch of what they're having!:
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/918554675028295680

Princess Anne left her mum to get on and do what she does best tonight - but they could often be seen smiling and exchanging glances.

From me: Really nice to see HM out and about again, and as Sky News Royal Correspondent Rhiannon Mills said tonight: ''The Queen remains the House of Windsor's greatest asset''.

Last edited:
Court Circular 18/10

The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Henry of Wales this morning gave a Reception for the finalists of BBC Radio One’s Teen Hero Awards at Kensington Palace.

OK - Harry got "shirts" at the wheel chair event. Plural. "Shirts." In photos, one says "Harry;" what about the other(s)?

OK - Harry got "shirts" at the wheel chair event. Plural. "Shirts." In photos, one says "Harry;" what about the other(s)?

I can pretty much guess what is on the other shirt but I don't want to speculate. It just makes sense that as Harry and William brush up on the people they're going to be meeting at an event, its also quite possible that those that are going to meet the princes also do a bit of brushing up. From watching the video, its apparent that the conversations between the the princes and the people they meet isn't always on a strict, protocol level, its very possible that when thinking of Harry, they'd also think about who he's involved with. Similar to someone showing up at an event when Kate was pregnant with George and William was handed a little onesie that had "Daddy's Little Co-Pilot" on it. :cool:

I can pretty much guess what is on the other shirt but I don't want to speculate. It just makes sense that as Harry and William brush up on the people they're going to be meeting at an event, its also quite possible that those that are going to meet the princes also do a bit of brushing up. From watching the video, its apparent that the conversations between the the princes and the people they meet isn't always on a strict, protocol level, its very possible that when thinking of Harry, they'd also think about who he's involved with. Similar to someone showing up at an event when Kate was pregnant with George and William was handed a little onesie that had "Daddy's Little Co-Pilot" on it. :cool:

I think it's just a press tease/typo. Only pics I can find show just one shirt. Hrumph.

We'll never know. Harry knows but he ain't talking. :D

Queen Elizabeth and the Prince of Wales visited the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment at Hyde Park Barracks in London today, October 24:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery ** rex gallery **

** dailymail: Pleased to meet you, Ma'am! Queen is introduced to the Household Cavalry's new drum horse Big Red..**
Videos from ITN:

The Queen and Prince Charles visit the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment in London to name its new drum horse. The prestigious military unit takes part in state occasions including the State Opening of Parliament and Trooping the Colour.
https://itnproductions.com/news/video-queen-visits-household-cavalry-to-name-new-drum-horse?type=raw

The Queen feeds the horses at Hyde Park Barracks:

Last edited:
Family outing on the 8th November. From the CC:

Prince Henry of Wales, on behalf of The Duke of Edinburgh, Colonel-in-Chief, The Rifles, this evening attended The Rifles’ Regimental Awards Dinner at Guildhall, Gresham Street, London EC2.

Duchess of Gloucester, Royal Colonel, 7th Battalion The Rifles, this evening attended The Rifles’ Regimental Awards Dinner at Guildhall, Gresham Street, London EC2.

Princess Alexandra, Royal Colonel, 3rd Battalion The Rifles, this evening attended the Regimental Awards Dinner at Guildhall, Gresham Street, London EC2.

:previous: As usual, I loved to see HM with William.

Videos - The president bowed to our amazing Queen:

The Royal Family ‏ @RoyalFamily
Her Majesty and The Duke of Cambridge welcome President Steinmeier and Mrs Büdenbender to Buckingham Palace.

The Royal Family‏ @RoyalFamily
The Queen and The Duke of Cambridge say goodbye to President Steinmeier and Mrs Büdenbender at they depart Buckingham Palace.

Last edited:
:previous: As usual, I loved to se HM with William.

Videos - The president bowed to our amazing Queen:

The Royal Family ‏ @RoyalFamily
Her Majesty and The Duke of Cambridge welcome President Steinmeier and Mrs Büdenbender to Buckingham Palace.

The Royal Family‏ @RoyalFamily
The Queen and The Duke of Cambridge say goodbye to President Steinmeier and Mrs Büdenbender at they depart Buckingham Palace.

QEII definitely has a new "plus one" to accompany her at various events. William has the opportunity to continue his "on the job" training for his future role and IMO they seem to enjoy being together.?

From the pics we can’t see if Catherine have the family order. The Queen, William and Catherine make my head hurt over that situation. Also, I don’t know why William and Catherine don’t like using the State cars forbevents like this. Stop using those darn official cars for state events. Learn something from older royals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom