British Royal Family Current Events 1: November 2002-November 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The show referred to William as "the prince of Wales", and said that EIIR owns the palaces, so I'm doubting the accuracy of some of what was presented.

sO, YOU ARE SAIYNG THAT THE SHOW IS BAD??????????????
I JUST CUET TO SEE THE PROGRAME BECAUSE I CAN NOW THE CORRECT HOUR. TODAY IS SOPOSE START TO 7.30 PM AND NOTHING. :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

They didn't mean that William was the Prince of Wales (i thought that at first), they meant that he was a prince, of wales. He is Prince William of Wales. I found out some really interesting information from that show, it was really good.

They said "the prince of Wales". If they meant Prince William, then they made a mistake in how they referred to him. They kept calling him "Prince William" and "Prince William of Wales", so either they completely goofed, or they got lazy.

I must say that I find the current state of affairs within the British Royal Family deeply depressing. I have followed their fortunes/misfortunes acutley for over 20 years and would have have poured scorn on those who voiced the opinion that the monarchy would end on the death of Her Majesty. Alas I must concede that all is lost when she passes away for we have a Prince of Wales who has lost sight of the importance of country over self gratification and his sons who have never even considered duty to the realm over their own selfish pleasures!

CHANNEL 4 PLANS CANDID FILM OF PRINCESS' LIFE

from Hello!

British TV station Channel 4 has confirmed it is planning a new dramatisation of the life of Princess Margaret. The broadcaster is courting controversy with the new production, which promises to pull no punches in its depiction of the Princess.

Margaret, who died in February 2002, was one of the most colourful and controversial members of the Windsor family. The feature-length docu-drama will look at her love affair with war hero Peter Townsend and her marriage to Lord Snowdon.

Joanne Whalley, who rose to fame in the 1989 film Scandal, is tipped to play the title role in Margaret Rose. It remains to be seen who will play Lord Snowdon, though the man himself has already offered producers a few words of advice on the matter.

The 73-year-old dismisses Hugh Grant as "too old" and Ralph Fiennes as "too tall", but thinks Joseph Fiennes or Colin Firth might fit the bill. And when asked who should be given first option, the charming aristocrat had a somewhat surprising response. "Why me, of course," he declared. "I can look quite young with make-up."

Attachments

• margaret_dop1a.jpg
    margaret_dop1a.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 120
Actress Joanne Whalley, who has been tipped for the lead role, previously starred in the dramatisation of Christine Keeler's romance with disgraced Conservative MP John Profumo.

Attachments

• j.jpg
    j.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 95
I am far from being a conspiracy theorist but one simply cannot ignore the cctv footage from the Ritz hotel on the night Diana died. Henri Paul was neither staggering nor looked disorientated. Two nights ago my father- in- law offered to drive my husband and I from the pub. He had consumed just two pints of beer and looked fine but we would not have dreamed of letting him drive us home and insisted he take a cab with us which he did. According to medical experts the levels of alcohol in Henri Paul's blood would have meant that he was on the verge of collapse. No one in their right mind would let someone in such a state drive them anywhere and that is why, whatever the findings of the enquiry, the whole thing just dosn't add up.

For those of you with access, right now on CNN, they are broadcasting a show called People in the News hosted by Paula Zahn. This week the show is about the British Royal Family. The show is about halfway through, sorry but I didn't even realize it was on myself until about two minutes ago. Here is the synopsis:

The Royals
Tune in to “People in the News” this week for an hour-long look at the British royal family and how they’re dealing with the monarchy’s latest scandals and misfortunes.

I'm sure they will probably rebroadcast the show if you are interested.

Repeats. All times Eastern:

People in the News, CNN Jan 31 05:00pm
People in the News, CNN Feb 01 05:00am
People in the News, CNN Feb 01 02:00pm
People in the News, CNN Feb 01 07:00pm

"Home films of the Royal Family relaxed and at play, away from the
public gaze, have been unearthed.

The rare footage captures the royals off duty between the 1920s and
1970s. It includes pictures of the Queen as a young princess playing
at Holkham Hall in Norfolk with her sister Princess Margaret and out
walking with her mother, Queen Elizabeth.

It also shows a young Prince Charles mastering the skills of eel
netting and playing on Holkham Beach with the daughter of the 5th
Earl of Leicester, Lady Sarah Coke.

The 20 hours of royal home movies were discovered at Holkham Hall,
the residence of the 7th Earl of Leicester. The frames were shot by
the 4th and 5th Earls of Leicester, whose family served the Windsors
for many years.

The 7th Earl entrusted the collection to the care of the East
Anglian Film Archive's new centre in Norwich, officially opened by
the Queen on Thursday. Now some of the footage has been exclusively
broadcast on the Anglia TV nostalgia series The Way We Were.

Among the events shown on the films, shot both in Norfolk and in
Scotland, is Princess Margaret on a royal picnic, alongside Group
Capt Peter Townsend, the divorced equerry she once had hopes of
marrying.

The camera has also captured what is thought to have been the first
meeting between her and her eventual husband, Antony Armstrong-
Jones, now Lord Snowdon.

The collection came to light during the making of the current season
of the TV show when the earl sent his vast collection to the archive
to be copied on to videotape.

"This footage was the 'find' of this series," said the producer, Ali
Starsmore. "As we sat and viewed the films we were extremely excited
to recognise just what it was all about and how important and rare
footage such as this is. What is so special about this footage is
its informality."

The 5th Earl of Leicester, who shot much of the footage, was an
equerry to the Duke of York who became King George VI."

BBC

Boozing, womanising, flash with his money - it is no surprise that King Henry VIII was a footballer.

The proof that the Tudor monarch played the beautiful game has been discovered by an academic at Southampton University.

Textile expert Maria Hayward has found what could be the first ever specific reference to football boots.

The pair of boots, costing four shillings, were in an inventory of Henry VIII's clothes when he died.

As part of a wardrobe that would have made Footballers' Wives look understated, Henry VIII possessed a pair of specially made boots for playing football.

'Royal of the Rovers'

In a list of 17,000 pieces of clothing and possessions owned by the king, Dr Hayward found that the royal cordwainer had made shoes for playing football.

As they were more expensive than the type of shoes that the king wore for other sports, such as jousting, Dr Hayward says that they might well have been heavier and used stronger leather.

Although it's not likely that the king's boots had studs and a fancy design from a commercial sponsor - it is possible that there was a European connection, as Spanish leather was considered of premium quality at the time.

Dr Hayward says that the way the football boots have been specified among the king's possessions is "really unusual" and suggests that there must been something particularly noteworthy about them.

The shoes have not survived - and it is impossible to be certain - but these could have been among the first purpose-made football boots.

King when you're winning

The football-friendly king, with his jewellery, palaces, personalised carriages and dark side of domestic violence, was also something of a shoe enthusiast - ordering 20 or 30 pairs at a time.

The amount he spent on shoes would also have merited a nod from the Sex and the City generation - as the cost of a single pair of football boots was not far short of what the head of his wardrobe might have earned in a week.

Dr Hayward, who works at the Textile Conservation Centre at Winchester School of Art, says that relatively little research has been carried out on what male royals wore - and that there has been much more study of the clothes of Elizabeth I.

Whatever the Tudor boots looked like, they would have needed to be very robust, because football at the time was a no-holds-barred brawl, with few rules and frequent casualties.

What makes the discovery that Henry VIII had his own football boots even more intriguing is that the burly royal with the glamorous wives had himself banned the game in 1548, on the grounds that they incited riots.

From Yahoo- Feb. 19, 2004

The Queen had good reason to smile on Wednesday, after the arrival
of some charming new additions to the Royal household. Puppies Holly
and Willow were born to one of her beloved pet Corgis. The newcomers
will no doubt help Her Majesty get over the loss of Pharos, a
favourite corgi recently killed by one of Princess Anne's bull
terriers.

The youngsters' appearance coincides with another new arrival, a new
£1.5-million royal train which will be used to transport members of
the family - and presumably their pooches - around the realm. The
Queen's Messenger, which was unveiled on Wednesday, is expected to
serve the family for the next 30 years.

The wine-coloured locomotive, which bears the Queen's crest and can
reach speeds of 125mph, will replace two smaller models currently in
use. One of the two redundant engines, which are called Prince Henry
and Prince William, will find a new home at the National Railway
Museum in York. The less fortunate of the two "Princes" will be
scrapped.

"We're not sure which one, but the other is likely to be melted
down," revealed a spokesman for owners EWS Rail. "They're reaching
the end of their operational life."

This topic has run its course. Closed.

British Royal Family current events 1: May 2004-November 2005

Starting a new thread, as the other was getting long!

Has anybody ever seen a show called "The Royals and their Pets". It was pretty good. They taked mostly about the Windsors and some about the Russians and the French monarchies. Anyway, they talked about the history of pets at the various estates and palaces. Also about how the pets lived and the importance of them in the lives of the various royals. It also mentioned the scandalous behaviour of some royal pets including Prince Charles´dog Harvey. It was pretty funny a lot of it. They talked a good deal about the breading programs and they talked about the Queen and her orgis and dorgis.
They talked a little bit with Princess Michael who talked a good deal about her cats. Such beautiful cats. Anyway, I can see why a lot of people think she is rather snobbish. I think it´s her voice. But she was hilarious in some of the antics of the cats that she and the Prince own. They also had a good bit about the dogs that Queen Alexandra had. It was a good show.

I don't know if this really belongs here, but I found it interesting, and it's rather important news which concerns The Queen.

From BBC Online:

Honours system outdated, say MPs

The honours system is outdated and secretive and needs overhauling, an influential committee of MPs says.

Civil servants, diplomats and the armed forces are unfairly favoured, they say.

In a hard-hitting report they say the Order of the British Empire is now inappropriate and should be replaced by an Order of British Excellence.

Knighthoods and damehoods are "redolent of past preoccupations with rank and class", the MPs argue, recommending they should also be phased out.

Public 'unease'
The report by the Public Administration Committee, entitled A Matter of Honour: Reforming Our Honours System, also says the machinery for making recommendations for honours lacks independence and rewards too few outsiders.

The use of honours as the tools of political management by Number 10 casts suspicion on the whole system, it says, although the MPs find little if any evidence of "serious corruption".

"There was special concern about the use of honours as the 'lubricant of the state' and some scepticism at the claims of those who run the system that it is entirely based on merit," says the report.

"The regular conferral of knighthoods on MPs is sometimes viewed, cynically, as a mere tool of political party management."

The MPs are worried that women and people from the ethnic minorities appear to get fewer honours than their white male counterparts.

They want "indicative targets" for honours which reflect Britain's diversity.

The report says "automatic honours" for senior civil servants and diplomats simply for doing their job "create a sense of unfairness and undermine the credibility of the system".

Such honours as the Order of the Bath and the Order of St Michael and St George -should be ended.

New OBE
It rejects suggestions that changing the name of the Order of the British Empire reflects political correctness.

The MPs say: "The title 'Order of the British Empire' was now considered to be unacceptable, being thought to embody values that are no longer shared by many of the country's population."

The new Order of British Excellence should as far as possible have the same three levels of Member, Officer and Commander as the current award, keeping the old initials of MBE, OBE and CBE.

The proposed changes would mean there would be only four national honours, instead of the current 16.

'Bold'
A new Honours Commission should also be set up to remove civil servants from decision making on honours.

Mr Wright said: "Honours are a way for the nation to recognise service and achievement."

"In our view, the system now needs radical and systematic reform, which our recommendations are designed to achieve."

"These are bold proposals, and we hope the government will be equally bold in its response to them."

The government is running its own internal review of the honours system which is expected to be published this week but will consider the appointments process, not the awards themselves.

The government will have to respond formally to both reports.

Constitutional expert Lord St John of Fawsley branded the MPs' proposals as "absurd", saying that everybody knew the British Empire no longer existed.

He said: "We would be cutting ourselves off from a system which is understood by the people. It would create confusion."

By the time the Blair Administration has got through remaking and/or destroying every institution that's focussed on something other than the Prime Minister, the country is going to be unrecognisable. I wonder what the Queen thinks of all this.

I think there are some good points to the "report"
- namely changing the name of the awards to another "E" word, because "Empire" is outdated (and racist?).

- getting the civil servants eliminated. Ha ... in a pig's eye.

- if it is a source of embarrassment, then the rules need changing, because the wrong people are being rewarded, and the right ones aren't.

Remember ... summer is the "silly season" .... where "trial balloons" can be flown, and most people don't see them, because they are away on vacation.

What QE-II thinks ..... baa hum-bug, how about that ?

Originally posted by Dennism@Jul 8th, 2004 - 9:59 pm
Has anybody ever seen a show called "The Royals and their Pets". It was pretty good. They taked mostly about the Windsors and some about the Russians and the French monarchies. Anyway, they talked about the history of pets at the various estates and palaces. Also about how the pets lived and the importance of them in the lives of the various royals. It also mentioned the scandalous behaviour of some royal pets including Prince Charles´dog Harvey. It was pretty funny a lot of it. They talked a good deal about the breading programs and they talked about the Queen and her orgis and dorgis.
They talked a little bit with Princess Michael who talked a good deal about her cats. Such beautiful cats. Anyway, I can see why a lot of people think she is rather snobbish. I think it´s her voice. But she was hilarious in some of the antics of the cats that she and the Prince own. They also had a good bit about the dogs that Queen Alexandra had. It was a good show.
When is this on? And what channel?

Well, it was on again tonight on my local PBS channel. It should be coming around again soon. Perhaps.

I think it's really frightening that he could get up there...in this age of terrorists...

i read articles in BBC News about that and i watch tv its really horrible for me! im hope HM Queen and family not there because HM Queen at Scotland

Sara Boyce

oh my

That is the stupidest picture I have ever seen....batman on Buckingham...what will they think of next...no that is totally scary, the Queen could be assassinated very easily, a scary thought. BP needs to get tighter security, it seems nobody can get into the White House but people can get into and onto the home of one of the worlds most recognizable people and greatest sovereign...to boot, did you see he had time to hang that banner below him...quite odd, ja.

Lord Williams said:
That is the stupidest picture I have ever seen....batman on Buckingham...what will they think of next...no that is totally scary, the Queen could be assassinated very easily, a scary thought. BP needs to get tighter security, it seems nobody can get into the White House but people can get into and onto the home of one of the worlds most recognizable people and greatest sovereign...to boot, did you see he had time to hang that banner below him...quite odd, ja.
i totally agree with you!

years ago some people wanted to killed HM Queen 2 i think its would be in 1981 like as Assassination that aint good one i read that articles in BBC i never knew that when before i was born im sure about that.

Sara Boyce

Article from The Telegraph

MPs look for waste on royal estates
By Toby Helm

The royal finances are to be the subject of a new inquiry by MPs, who fear that the public might not be getting value for money because of waste and poor management of estates.

The latest investigation by the House of Commons' public accounts committee will examine the Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster, which provide incomes for Prince Charles and the Queen.

Ian Davidson, a Labour MP who sits on the committee, denied last night that the investigation would become a focus for republicans in his party to try to undermine the Royal Family.

"We are trying to get a better bang for the buck by making sure that public expenditure is done properly," said Mr Davidson.

"Past investigations into the use of the palaces and royal transport have turned up many examples of waste and uneconomical running."

He said the committee wanted to show that the duchies were not "some sort of tax fiddle for the royals".

Last year Prince Charles, who is the 24th Duke of Cornwall, saw his pre-tax profits rise by almost 20 per cent to about £12 million, while the Duchy of Lancaster, the Queen's landed estate, is worth about £7 million a year.

The secretary of the Duchy of Cornwall, Bertie Ross, has been asked to give evidence to the MPs on February 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom