William II (1056-1100)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CyrilVladisla

Imperial Majesty
City
Conneaut
Country
United States
William II was the son of King William I and Queen Matilda. He reigned 1087 to 1100.
In 1093 William II killed King Malcolm III of Scotland when Malcolm rebelled. Afterwards William maintained the Scottish kings as vassals. Then in 1097 William subjugated Wales.
William's chief interest lay in wresting Normandy from his brother Robert. Hostilities ended when Robert mortgaged the duchy to William II in order to raise money to go on the First Crusade.

King William II was intent on trearting the English Church as his personal fifedom, extracting from it as much revenue as he could.

The king had a very difficult relationship with Anselm the Archbishop of Canterbury!

One reason why William II was given the much richer lands of England than his older brother Robert is that King William I was playing favorites. William II's brother Robert was rebelling against their father at the time of William the Conqueror's demise.

Only just read this. Very interesting!!

Thank you!

Its a reign that's largely overlooked and would make a great mini series if done correctly.

Its a reign that's largely overlooked and would make a great mini series if done correctly.

Yes indeed. Plenty of drama. I remember reading a historical novel about the sons of William I when I was (just) in secondary school. I can't remember its name though.:sad:

Yes indeed. Plenty of drama. I remember reading a historical novel about the sons of William I when I was (just) in secondary school. I can't remember its name though.:sad:

Wasn't there on on William Rufus by Jean Plaidy?

Did King William I have a potential royal bride in mind for his son William Rufus to marry?

Did King William I have a potential royal bride in mind for his son William Rufus to marry?

From what I have read ,William Rufus had absolutely no interest in finding a wife,nor did he have a mistress!

Back
Top Bottom