Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

William the Conqueror Reassessed

William the Conqueror Reassessed | History Today

Old 10-06-2016, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Who was Adela of Normandy?

Must admit I knew very little of her let alone that she was a saint!

Who was Adela of Normandy? – Royal Central

Old 04-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Majesty

Queen Matilda is supposed to have worked on the Bayeaux Tapestry.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/463982347
Old 10-06-2018, 09:01 PM
Majesty

William the Conqueror entering London in December 1066
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-wil...165588261.html
Old 12-11-2018, 02:30 PM

Was Matilda of Flanders REALLY as little as everyone thinks?

William the Conqueror's wife has always interested me, and I know people were shorter in the 11th century, but 4 foot 2?! It's been said that whoever measured her skeleton when her tomb was first opened was a bit wishy-washy with how he did it, but what if he wasn't? If Matilda WAS truly that tiny, then the story about William throwing her over his shoulder makes a lot of sense - she would have only reached his armpit. What does everyone think? Is England's smallest queen not so RIDICULOUSLY tiny after all?
Old 12-11-2018, 04:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Congratulation on your first post.

A remarkable topic to start out with.
Well, IMO it's more likely a mistake.
The average height for women in that period would have been around 150-155 cm. For nobles, and other well to do, the average height for men and women would have been a little higher, due to better nutrition and slightly better living conditions.
That means Matilda would have been at least 20 cm below the average height!
Even at that time she would unquestionably have been labelled a "dwarf". - With all the stigma that followed I find it unlikely that the Duke of Normandy, a very important man regionally, would have married what he and his peers would have called a "freak" behind her back. - Why, she would likely give births to "freaks" rather than big strong sons and what duke would want that?

That William was able to carry his wife on his shoulders, doesn't impress me.
He was a strong, fit man, who was physically active for most of his life - like most other men of the warrior class.
It would surprise me if he couldn't!

She might very well have been slender and/or below average height at the time, but not that short.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:42 PM
Majesty

In the course of subduing Normandy William mastered the technique of land acquisition that would characterize his eventual conquest of England: Deliberate advance, ruthless intimidation, and construction of castles to secure recently conquered areas.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Congratulation on your first post.

A remarkable topic to start out with.
Well, IMO it's more likely a mistake.
The average height for women in that period would have been around 150-155 cm. For nobles, and other well to do, the average height for men and women would have been a little higher, due to better nutrition and slightly better living conditions.
That means Matilda would have been at least 20 cm below the average height!
Even at that time she would unquestionably have been labelled a "dwarf". - With all the stigma that followed I find it unlikely that the Duke of Normandy, a very important man regionally, would have married what he and his peers would have called a "freak" behind her back. - Why, she would likely give births to "freaks" rather than big strong sons and what duke would want that?

That William was able to carry his wife on his shoulders, doesn't impress me.
He was a strong, fit man, who was physically active for most of his life - like most other men of the warrior class.
It would surprise me if he couldn't!

She might very well have been slender and/or below average height at the time, but not that short.
Agreed.

We know from historical records, that if she had some kind of obvious physical deformity, there would be written record of it. And dwarfism would most certainly be that. The fact there is not one source that mentions her suffering from dwarfism seems to point to it not being truth. She may have been shorter, but highly unlikely a dwarf.

Not that there were not royal women who didn't have deformities and still married. Claude of France had a clubbed foot and hunchback.

It seems she was actually around 5 feet tall. Not tall by modern standards, but certainly no dwarf.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Its a miracle that Matilda's remains survived the wanton vandalism of rampaging Huguenots and then the horrors of French Revolution.Her daughter Cecilia of Normandy is also buried at L'abbaye aux Dames in Caen.