Your Favourite English Monarch

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elizabeth II. I feel like she really gave her life for God and country. And it helps that she's still living.

I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one who uses that exact expression when commenting about HM. She absolutely has given her life as completely as a soldier who accepts death for God and Country. There are many things we envy about Kings and Queens, but really thinking about it - they must lose all personal ambition, can't voice personal opinions, can't vote, and basically know what they are going to be doing every day of their lives for years ahead. I can't imagine a child not being able to dream of "when I grow up I want to be, etc". That must be dampening, to say the least. Princess Margaret said it best when informed of the abdication, she asked her sister if that meant "Lilibet" would be Queen, and Elizabeth replied, "yes, someday"'; Margaret immediately commented sympathetically, "oh, poor you!".

I'm still moved when listening to the Queen's "dedication" that she made on turning twenty-one; it is said it made her cry because there was such truth and burden lying ahead of her and those words said it so simply and so beautifully. However, she has fulfilled the promises she made that birthday, every single day of her life, and she is now eighty-five! I can't think of a person alive today who is a better example of duty, love of country and Christian selflessness than Elizabeth II. Long may she reign!

Elizabeth I by far. She is my heroine. If it wasn't for her, we'd be speaking Spanish and being told what to do by the Pope. No offense Spaniards and Catholics. :) But I think part of what makes England (well OK Britain now) what it is, is that it stands alone both geographically and in ruling itself.

She truly was the saviour of my beautiful country and all it stood for. She also, for the most part, embodied what's great about it. Its obvious she truly loved her people, remarking famously that she was married only to her country. God bless her!

My second favourite is our wonderful current monarch. Like her namesake, she is everything that the world admires the British for. Dignified, kind, dutiful, resilient, kind, and tolerant. God save The Queen.

There is already a thread on the topic - Who is your favorite English monarch? :)

My favourites are:

- Alfred the Great
His successful defence against the Vikings, his many reforms, the very fact he is the only English/British Monarch to be accorded the epitet "Great" make him my top choice.

- Harold Godwinson
He had a very short reign but I think Harold showed himself as a capable leader and able commander. Given the time and chance, he probably would do great things.

- William the Conqueror
Wasn't he a lucky bastard?

- Henry V
The Battle of Agincourt alone is an ever-lasting tribute to him. I read the speech part of Shakespeare's again and again (our teacher made us learn it by heart too):
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
And Crispine Crispian shall ne're gone by,
From this day to the ending of the World,
But we in it shall be remembered;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers:
For he to day that sheds his blood with me,
Shall be my brother: be he ne're so vile,
This day shall gentle his Condition.
And Gentlemen in England, now a bed,
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here;
And hold their Manhoods cheap, whiles any speaks,
That fought with us upon Saint Crispine's day.

- Robert the Bruce
One of the greatest Kings and heroes of Scotland, he defended his Kingdom's independence and united it like no King of Scots before him.

- Edward III
A Monarch during whose reign the battles Crecy and Poitiers were fought deserves a special mention.

- Elizabeth I
For proving woman can rule, and do so much more efficiently than most men.

- Queen Victoria
After the many Georges and their less-than-savoury ways, Victoria was exactly what Britain - and the British Empire - needed.

- Edward VII
Not much was expected of him, yet during his short reign he managed to become the Peacemaker King.

- George VI
For steering the country and uniting people during World War II.

- Elizabeth II
I could go on about the present Queen for ages, but I'll just mention one thing: for being the constant, the element of stability through times of changes and turmoil.

Last edited:
George VI: Was never trained for the role; had to overcome a speech impediment; was a shy individual; stabilised the monarchy after the abdication; did a wonderful leadership role during the war. It was a great pity his reign was so short.

The Empress Matilda. Hands down. I know that the Official Royal website does not list her, but if you truly believe in a direct & immediate hereditary succession , from the moment of her fathers death until her sons accession she was the de-jute Queen of England or Domina. I know that some have written her as naughty & "snobbish, arrogant". However if you were to also look at the records of her time as Regent of Normandy, she is labeled as "Matilda the wise, lion of justice, or her father all over again. Stephen was and always will be a usurper IMO. No matter how history tends to be re-written

Henry VII
Elizabeth I
George VI

Special Mentions; William The Conqueror

Consorts: Eleanor of Aquitaine, Anne Boleyn, Katherine Parr, Prince Albert, The Queen Mother, Katharine of Aragon

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Victoria
King George V
Queen Elizabeth I
King George VI
King Edward VII

Henry II,Richard I The Lionheart and Edward III

Queen Elizabeth II is my favorite English monarch. When she came to the throne, she was 25 years old with 2 small children. Hugh responsibility for a young woman. Over the decades she has done the job well.

Elizabeth I. Sorted out the religious mess made by her father and siblings and led England against threats from abroad.

My favorite monarch is Elizabeth II, because I think that she's loyal to her people and country and she also seems to love what she does.

My favorite deceased monarchs are Queen Mary (if we're going to include consorts), Elizabeth I and Mary I. I started to like Queen Mary when I saw a documentary about her and her husband, and since then she's grown on me. I like Elizabeth I because she proved that Queens could reign just as well as Kings, and I think that she was one of those people who never gave up. I've always liked Mary I, because she went through a lot during her childhood, and I also read somewhere that she used to visit the houses of the poor and if something wasn't right, then she would make sure it was. I like it when historical monarchs did things like that.

Last edited:
My favorite monarch was Edward III, mostly because of his Queen Consort Philippa of Hainaut. Without a doubt he was a great English monarch, and she was there helping him into that greatness. They just seem to me the perfect English medieval royal couple.

I like King George II.
In 1732 King George II signed the royal charter for the North American colony of Georgia.

My favorites:
Queen Elizabeth II
queen victoria
King George VI
Queen Elizabeth I
King Edward III
King George V

Back
Top Bottom