What Might Have Been?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then again... What would of happened if Olga Nikolaievna had married instead of being so stubborn and what if she married grand duke Dmitri pavlovich but I think it was best to have married grand duke Constantine constantinovich aka kostia (Russian royal,a romanov cousin, close in age).

Then again... What would of happened if Olga Nikolaievna had married instead of being so stubborn and what if she married grand duke Dmitri pavlovich but I think it was best to have married grand duke Constantine constantinovich aka kostia (Russian royal,a romanov cousin, close in age).

Their children wouldnt gave been grand dukes and duchess' and it wouldnr have made much difference to the reults of the russian revolution or any other country. If she had married the heir to the British throne, George V and the british govt. might have made more effort to rescue the in laws (ie the russian emporer and empress).

I read that Lord Mountbatten had a serious crush on Maria or Anastasia, although I cannot remember which of the two he liked the most. They were cousins after all.

Vasillisos Markos said:
I read that Lord Mountbatten had a serious crush on Maria or Anastasia, although I cannot remember which of the two he liked the most. They were cousins after all.

It was Maria that he had a huge crush on.

It was Maria that he had a huge crush on.

thanks. I thought so but then I think she was a little older than him (I believe he was the last royal great-grandchild to have Queen Victoria as a godmother) so he was born around 1900 and Anastasia was born in 1901. As she was pregnant with Anastasia, Alexandra of Russia could not attend the Queen's funeral in England.

What if the Spanish Armada had succeeded and overthrown Queen Elizabeth I?

I've found the story of the Spanish Armada to be interesting. One would have to wonder what might have happened if the Armada had been successful and Queen Elizabeth I was overthrown? No doubt she would have had a ground army which would have put up quite a fight. Many people in England would have put up quite a fight. She wouldn't have gone peacefully. They would have to drag her kicking and screaming as she would not back down.

I would imagine the history of England and the rest of the British Isles would have been different. If Queen Elizabeth had been overthrown, who would have succeeded her? Be interesting to hear what others think.

I love alternative history.:)

QEI would have been defeated fairly easily.
Her standing army was small, the militia to supplement it was no match for the professional Spanish troops stationed in the Netherlands.
QEI would have no place to go, except fleeing to Scandinavia or present day Northern Germany. She would have been captured and executed or in exile. (Who knows perhaps the same place as the Earl of Bothwell? And he very conveniently went insane - or so the story goes).

The rebellion in the Netherlands would have been crushed. Prostestantism would now be a minor segment of the Christian faith.

England would have been kept under tight control for many years, enough to curb the English colonization across the Atlantic. That would have given Spanish colonies in Florida the edge in moving up along the east coast of America, until they would have met and established a kind of border with French colonies coming down from north. Perhaps around New York (which would not be known as New York as the Netherlands would have been curbed as well by the Spanish).
North and central America would be French speaking now. South and west Spanish speaking. The conquest of the west would have been different and perhaps the Five Nations would have survived?

Not sure about this. In 1588 Mary Stuart was already dead but still her son (who for the Spaniards must have been the rightful king of England as well as Scotland) was a firm ally for Elizabeth.

So even if the Spaniards succeeded in winnig against Elizabeth, they could do nothing but put James of Scotland on the English throne, as he through his paternal as well as maternal descent was the next in line. And I very much doubt he would have done things differently from Elizabeth. It was in his interests as well to encourage Henri IV. in his efforts to take the French throne, it was in his interest to hel the Low Countries against Spain and of course it was in his interest to try to stall Spain's efforts in staying the most important power on the Seas.

I've found the story of the Spanish Armada to be interesting. One would have to wonder what might have happened if the Armada had been successful and Queen Elizabeth I was overthrown? No doubt she would have had a ground army which would have put up quite a fight. Many people in England would have put up quite a fight. She wouldn't have gone peacefully. They would have to drag her kicking and screaming as she would not back down.

I would imagine the history of England and the rest of the British Isles would have been different. If Queen Elizabeth had been overthrown, who would have succeeded her? Be interesting to hear what others think.

I often think what if The Spanish Armada had landed in Ireland first & took control there first & used it as a base for the conquest of England.

The Irish had no love for Elizabeth I or her policies in Ireland.

Not sure about this. In 1588 Mary Stuart was already dead but still her son (who for the Spaniards must have been the rightful king of England as well as Scotland) was a firm ally for Elizabeth.

So even if the Spaniards succeeded in winnig against Elizabeth, they could do nothing but put James of Scotland on the English throne, as he through his paternal as well as maternal descent was the next in line. And I very much doubt he would have done things differently from Elizabeth. It was in his interests as well to encourage Henri IV. in his efforts to take the French throne, it was in his interest to hel the Low Countries against Spain and of course it was in his interest to try to stall Spain's efforts in staying the most important power on the Seas.

He would with a garrison of Spanish "auxillaries" around and Spanish ships in the harbours. Perhaps reinforced by Irish mercenaries. And with the propaganda apparatus of the Catholic church going at full throttle.
My guess is that the English Civil War would have taken place about 30 years before it did. It would have been about religion and it would have been much, much worse than the actual one. - The outcome? Who knows?

James I's wife was sister of King Christian IV of Denmark. And James I did some major sucking up, to put it bluntly, to Christian IV (and his navy) in 1604 IIRC, partly to ensure his position but also, as some cynics may believe, to ensure he could get help and if need be a refuge.
Would the Catholic church accept a man, who not only was an ally of QEI but who also through his marriage was close to one of the most important protestant kings (and his navy) at the time?
I think they would have quietly bypassed him or alternatively made a "defence alliance" with him and left a garrison. Not unlike what was done when a number of countries became independent in the 1960's.

Last edited:
I often think what if The Spanish Armada had landed in Ireland first & took control there first & used it as a base for the conquest of England.

The Irish had no love for Elizabeth I or her policies in Ireland.

Very true but the Armada left very late and caught the bad weather and ended up in Ireland because the wind took them there. Perhaps they would have been successful if they had left Lisbon when they were supposed to.

James I's wife was sister of King Christian IV of Denmark. And James I did some major sucking up, to put it bluntly, to Christian IV (and his navy) in 1604 IIRC, partly to ensure his position but also, as some cynics may believe, to ensure he could get help and if need be a refuge.
Would the Catholic church accept a man, who not only was an ally of QEI but who also through his marriage was close to one of the most important protestant kings (and his navy) at the time?
I think they would have quietly bypassed him or alternatively made a "defence alliance" with him and left a garrison. .

AFAIK he only married after the Armada was defeated. And they couldn't quietly bypass him because he was already a crowned king (of Scotland) - which meant something back then. But of course they could have found an Austrian princess for him...

What would've happened to princess May had Prince George and princess Maria went against their mothers and married?
Would she be given an income from her late fiancé family?
Wonder what queen Maria would've made given she was the opposite of May?

I doubt that Mary of Teck would have been paid an income. She was a fiancée not wife. Flamboyant Marie suited Romania and reserved May suited being a British Queen, IMO. Anyway, it was mostly Marie Edinburgh who opposed the match, as she couldn't stand England or how she felt she'd been treated by the BRF.

George loved Maria and this was even commented on by their grandmother that he was prepared to wait for her. I'm just speculating what if George and Maria married. From what it sounded like she brought out the merrier side in him

He enjoyed being with her, he was in love with Marie. Her mother was implacably opposed however. She wished her daughters to marry as young as possible before they formed minds and wills of their own. Therefore Marie was married off to Crown Prince Ferdinand of Romania as quickly as she could.

Last edited:
The granducchess seemed like an utter nightmare. Never found anything endearing about her

I doubt that Mary of Teck would have been paid an income. She was a fiancée not wife. Flamboyant Marie suited Romania and reserved May suited being a British Queen, IMO. Anyway, it was mostly Marie Edinburgh who opposed the match, as she couldn't stand England or how she felt she'd been treated by the BRF.
True. I think that Mary (of Teck) dodged a bullet. She lost poor old Albet Victor, but she got a nice man that she loved and respected, and got to be queen.
I think that George loved her, and was well looked after by her...

Edward being the eldest son of king George V I am sure had tons of monarchs who proposed their daughters to marry him...and if he chose one what would the royal family be like now?!

In 1934 Adolf Hitler asked for Princess Frederica of Hanover's parents to arrange for the marriage of their seventeen-year-old daughter to the Prince of Wales (Edward VIII). Edward was twenty-two years older than Frederica.

Back
Top Bottom