Royal Burials

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@Vasillisos

That was the same i found, when i search on google. He wasnt counted as a member of the royal family, maybe thats the reason because there is no grave. But i guess, that he was buried in somere around or in Cognac, because that was where he has lived.

You might try looking for Philippe de Falconbridge, since that was his name at birth. He only became Philippe de Cognac when he married Amelie de Jarnac, the heiress of Cognac.

I have never seen his burial recorded anywhere, but he is probably buried in the chapel of the family castle (if it still exists) in the Charmente.

However, it should be noted that he sold the tariffs on his lands in Cognac to King John of England before he died, which means he may not have been living there at the time of his death. That does not mean that he would not still be buried there, especially if his wife is also buried there.

He does not appear to have had any legitimate children to inherit.. and we know that his wife died childless.

What an increadably facinating thread to go through. Especially learning about the Jacobite/Pretenders of England and Scotland/Great Britain.

Wasn't the ceremony that Phillip and his sister attended at their Mother's grave when she was officially recoginized for all she did in harbouring/aiding Jewish people during WWII by the Isreali State/Nation/Government? I know that happened w/in the last ten years or so. I just can't remember the exact date is all.

:previous:
In 1994 the Duke of Edinburgh and his sister Sophie, Princess Georg Wilhelm of Hannover, attended at Yad Vashem in Jerusalem the proclamation of their mother Alice asRighteous among the Nations.

In 1994 the Duke of Edinburgh and his sister Sophie, Princess Georg Wilhelm of Hannover, attended at Yad Vashem in Jerusalem the proclamation of their mother Alice asRighteous among the Nations.

Yes, it was 1994 when Philip went there. His mother was interred in Jerusalem in 1988, but I don't think he went then.. as there was a ban on royal visits at that time.

According to Hugo Vickers the Foreign Office made it clear that it was too dangerous for Prince Philip to visit as his safety could not be guaranteed. For the same reason the Prince of Wales was unable to vist his grandmother's vault when he attended the funeral of Yitzak Rabin in 1995.

Princess Alice's coffin was removed from the royal vault of St George's Chapel where it had lain for almost 19 years covered in the Greek Royal Standard. The small party which accompanied Princess Alice's remains to Jerusalem consisted of her daughter Princess Georg of Hanover, the Dean of Windsor, his wife, acting as lady-in-waiting, and the undertaker.

According to Hugo Vickers the Foreign Office made it clear that it was too dangerous for Prince Philip to visit as his safety could not be guaranteed. For the same reason the Prince of Wales was unable to vist his grandmother's vault when he attended the funeral of Yitzak Rabin in 1995.

It seems quite silly to me: it was enough safe for Charles to attend Rabin's funeral, but it was too risky for him to visit on the same occasion his grandmother's grave. :ermm: Do I miss something?

I guess the heavy security was in place for all VIPs attending Rabin's funeral collectively and not for the Prince of Wales to go on a private trip into Jerusalem.

I would think the same Warren...there were a lot of heavy hitters at Rabins funeral...I think two to four US Presidents attended....not that they are more important than the other guests but that says something about the level of VIPS IMO.

Well, most of Richard's remains were interred at Fonevraud Abbey in France, near his father and mother, but his heart was supposedly buried at Rouen in Normandy and his entrails at Chalus where he died. But the upheaval of the French Revolution may have resulted in the destruction of the royal remains, although many suspect the bodies are buried somewhere on the grounds but the French Government won't give permission to excavate or search for them.

Richard I's remains are believed to have been scattered when the Huguenots ransacked the abbey in 1562. When the French revolutionaries searched the vaults in 1794, they found nothing. His tomb at Fontevraud still survives, however, and can still be seen there, along with those of his parents and sister-in-law.

Next to him is buried Isabella of Angouleme, the second wife and consort of King John. She was probably buried there because she died at the abbey. Her husband, King John, lies in Worcester Cathedral in England.

Richard's heart, interred separately at Rouen Cathedral, survived both the Huguenots and the French Revolution. That monument can still be viewed as well, along with Richard's eldest brother's tomb.. Henry the Young King.

His wife and queen, Berengaria of Navarre, is buried at L'Abbaye de l'Epau near Le Mans, France. Her tomb and remains have survived intact. She was rediscovered in a hidden vault in 1960.

All of the Plantagenet tombs at Fontrevraud Abbey are empty, and the remains have either been lost or destroyed since the late 16th century. :sad:

The widow of Henry the Young King was Marguerite of France, daughter of Louis VII by his 2nd wife Constance of Castile. (Louis VII's first wife being Eleanor of Aquitaine, the Young King's mother).

Marguerite remarried after Young Henry died, to Bela III of Hungary in 1186. Upon her 2nd marriage she became Queen of Hungary and Croatia, but was again widowed in 1196.

She died on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land the following year, at the age of 40, and according to the chronicler Ernoul, was buried at the Holy Cross Cathedral at Tyre (aka Crusader Cathedral).

Marguerite had no surviving issue from either marriage - her only known child, William Plantagenet, lived 3 days.

The Holy Cross Cathedral has been in ruins for centuries, and the remains of Holy Roman Emperor Frederick Barbarossa are also believed to have been buried there, although no tomb or vault has ever been found.

Matilda, Duchess of Saxony, was the eldest daughter of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine. She married Henry III "the Lion", Duke of Saxony, in 1168.

Henry and Matilda were the parents of Otto IV, Holy Roman Emperor, among other children.

The Duke and Duchess are buried at Dom St. Blasii (et Johannis) - aka Brunswick Cathedral - in Brunswick, Lower Saxony, Germany.

Their son, Emperor Otto IV and his first wife Beatrice of Hohenstaufen, are also interred there, along with Caroline of Brunswick (consort of King George IV) and several dukes of Brunswick-Lüneburg and Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel.

Yes, she was cremated. That's the only way she could be interred at St. George's, Windsor.

Surely that is a big break in Royal precident ?
That's the only way she could be interred at St. George's, Windsor
surely they could find room for the sister of the Queen ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it was a matter of room, but placing her ashes in the royal crypt was much easier than having her casket placed there, I think. If her casket was placed there, there might have to be a reconfiguration for reasons of space.

Is it known where will the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh be buried?

I'm not well up on these matters, but are we seeing a trend over the long centuries.... way back in the 18th cent Westminster Abbey was
the place for Royal burial..... then, for some reason... St George's Chapel Windsor became the main destination..
Now it seems Frogmore... is preferred .... ie Queen Victoria, Prince Albert , Edward 8th (even Wallis Simpson )

Is it known where will the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh be buried?

I've read somewhere that currently escapes me that there is room in the George VI Chapel for six burials: so The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh and The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall should join George VI and Queen Elizabeth there in due course. If The POW doesn't succeed The Queen that may change: i.e. Frogmore for him and Camilla and the Chapel for William and Catherine or whoever does succeed.
a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif

Well, there is no definite reason for anyone beyond the current Queen and Prince Philip to choose the George VI Chapel. I'd be shocked if HM chose anywhere else, and probably Charles and Camilla will end up there as well. But I tend to think William will see his own reign (God willing that he does reign) as a new chapter in BRF history and might choose to begin a new chapel to emphasise this. I've often wondered if he will bring his mother's mortal remains to the Royal site and this would provide a good reason for a new chapel, as well.

As far as the cremation of Princess Margaret goes, I tend to think that was a personal decision of the Princess, herself - and not at all related to space or a lack thereof. The George VI Chapel is not so small as to preclude space being made for a traditional burial for Margaret. How could it be when there exists still space for six more?

I hope it will be a long time before we discover any of the answers to these questions... No one in the BRF is currently ill nor even "retired" from duties. Of course, there are always accidents, as we learned from Diana's death, but I'm inclined to think that Royal Protection Squads will help prevent that from happening as readily to the members we are discussing. (I know it is not part of this thread, but I am convinced that if there were a Royal Protection Officer with Diana on that fateful night in Paris, she would still be among us.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why was William I of England buried in France?Was it possible to transport his body?Im sure the people of England would like their king to be buried in their country.

Why was William I of England buried in France?Was it possible to transport his body?Im sure the people of England would like their king to be buried in their country.

William the Conqueror was buried in the Abbaye-aux-Hommes (meaning Men's Abbey) in Caen, Normandy. It is also called Saint Étienne de Caen.

Normandy during William's lifetime, was not truly a part of France - although it was a vassal duchy of the French king. After the Conqueror died, the duchy remained under English control until 1204 in the reign of King John, when it was taken by Philippe II of France.

Though William was the English monarch, he was born a Norman, and spent much of his reign in Normandy rather than in England. His rule of the English was mostly done by writ after 1072.

William and Matilda his wife, had built and dedicated the two abbeys at Caen, to atone for the fact that they married against the Pope's ruling. It was most likely always intended that he would be buried in his abbey..

And I doubt the English people would have wanted him buried in England anyway.. especially after over 4,000 native English lords had lost their titles and lands to the Norman invaders.. and William persecuted the native church after his conquest as well, so he could not expect to be received into an English church.

Matilda of Flanders was buried in the Abbaye-aux-Dames (Lady's Abbey) when she died in 1083, and judging by his deep grief and tyrannical behavior after her death, I can be virtually certain that he wanted to be buried near her.

Unfortunately, his tomb was destroyed in the 16th century and his remains were scattered.. about the only thing left of him is his left femur bone. His grave is now marked by a stone slab that dates from the early 19th century.

I believe Matilda's marble tomb is still intact.

Last edited:

HM Queen Catherine gives a detailed explanation to your question and it should be noted that William is not the only English king to be buried on the continent. Henry II, Eleanor of Acquitaine and Richard the Lion-Hearted are also buried in France. During that period of history, the English monarchs and their consorts were abroad nearly as much or more than the time they spent in England.

Quite a few English Kings and Queens tombs were destroyed during the upheaval of the Reformation and later Civil War.Also most of the remains of the Angevin Kings and Queens buried in France were lost during the French Revolution.

Henry I was buried at Reading Abbey which was destroyed in 1538 .

King Stephen and Matilda of Boulogne were buried at Faversham Abbey in Kent which was dissolved in 1538 and burials lost.

Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine were buried at Fontevraud Abbey in Anjou,the abbey was sacked by Huguenots in the 1560's and again during the French Revolution in 1793/4.Its believed all remains buried there were thrown into a nearby river.

Richard I and Berengaria of Navarre.Richard's remains were buried at Fontevraud Abbey and his heart at Rouen Cathedral.His remains at Fontevraud Abbey are believed to be lost but his heart burial was rediscovered in the 19th century.Berengaria of Navarre was buried at the abbey of L'Épau in Le Mans and were rediscovered in the 1960's.

Isabella d'Angoulême was the widow of King John and was buried at Fontevraud Abbey,her remains are believed to be lost.

Joan of England,Queen of Sicily and Countess of Toulouse.Joan was the daughter of Henry II and Eleanor was also buried near her parents with her son and her remains are also believed to have been lost .

Eleanor of Provence,wife of Henry III was buried at Amesbury Abbey in Wiltshire but lost during the reformation.

Marguerite de France,2nd wife of Edward I was buried at Greyfriars Church in London and her remains were lost during the Reformation.

Isabella of France (the She-Wolf of France) ,wife of Edward II was buried at the now destroyed Franciscan Church at Newgate in London.

Blanche d'Artois,wife of Edmund Crouchback,Earl of Lancaster was buried at the Minoresses Convent, Aldgate in London.Her remains were lost during Reformation.

Margaret of Anjou,wife of Henry VI was buried at Saint-Maurice Cathedral in Angers,France.Her remains were destroyed during the French Revolution (1794).

I had a short holiday in Worcestershire recently and visited four Royal tombs; King John (died 1216) and Arthur, Prince of Wales (died 1502, Henry VIII's elder brother) in Worcester Cathedral. King John's tomb is very good, Prince Arthur is in a side chantry and the step is worn down after centuries of visitors stepping on it.
In Tewkesbury are buried Edward, Prince of Wales (killed in battle 1471, son of Henry VI), George, Duke of Clarence (executed 1478, brother of Edward IV) and his wife Isabella (died 1476) they are together in an underground vault. Prince Edward's grave is marked by a plaque on the floor. You can visit both places quite easily in a day, worth the trip.

I had a short holiday in Worcestershire recently and visited four Royal tombs; King John (died 1216) and Arthur, Prince of Wales (died 1502, Henry VIII's elder brother) in Worcester Cathedral. King John's tomb is very good, Prince Arthur is in a side chantry and the step is worn down after centuries of visitors stepping on it.
In Tewkesbury are buried Edward, Prince of Wales (killed in battle 1471, son of Henry VI), George, Duke of Clarence (executed 1478, brother of Edward IV) and his wife Isabella (died 1476) they are together in an underground vault. Prince Edward's grave is marked by a plaque on the floor. You can visit both places quite easily in a day, worth the trip.

I believe that Isabel Neville,wife of George Duke of Clarence is also buried at Tewkesbury Abbey.

I was in Jerusalem a few years ago and decided to visit the Russian church. I asked if I could visit the grave of princess Alice and the sister agreed. She took me downstairs to a side room and there was the coffin of princess Alice still with the Greek flag over it . The sister took the flag off and allowed me to about 10 minutes on my own . Took some pictures of her oak coffin with her name plate on top. Very moving and the room has her family tree on the wall .

Back
Top Bottom