Queen Victoria and Haemophilia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a family three showing the descent of haemophilia in the British Royal Family. The haemophiliacs and the carriers are enclosed in the boxes.
From Wikipedia.

Haemophilia_family_tree.GIF

Great Post of the family tree Mapple!!! Kudos to you!!:)

tiaraprin said:
Great Post of the family tree Mapple!!! Kudos to you!!:)
Thank you! :)

The author of the tree did not include Prince Sigismund, the son of Empress Friedrich--it is most likely that the boy died of meningitis.

emily62_1 said:
it's weird as only Alicky, P. Alice's daughter was a carrier btw Alice's kids, is it true, in fact Aliexei, the Tzarevitc, was not healthy- were the Leopold kids sane or ill, can't remember ????? Hemoephilia is a weird illness. Prince Philip, the Prince Consort, who descends from P. Alice is not ill, in fact. the illness did not pass from P. Anne to her son, Philip, well, _I know he's healthy, luckily, the illness seems to have disappered from the RF members nowadays. Sorry, I'm confused.

I don't know if you can say the illness has disappeared, the truth may simply be that its treatable now. The RF wouldn't disclose all of thier illness' to the public unless they absolutely had to. I think every royal house who has a genetic link to this disease just may keep it private. If it has just disappeared I'm guessing it could possibly have been weaned out by Royal members not marrying cousins so close in thier genetic pool. I could be wrong too.

emily62_1 said:
it's weird as only Alicky, P. Alice's daughter was a carrier

We don't know if her sister Elizabeth was a carrier because she didn't have children. It seems as though Victoria wasn't a carrier; I don't know about Irene.

Elspeth said:
We don't know if her sister Elizabeth was a carrier because she didn't have children. It seems as though Victoria wasn't a carrier; I don't know about Irene.
Irene certainly was a carrier--two of her sons were haemophiliacs.

Elspeth said:

Victoria was the mother of Lord Mountbatten, Princess Alice of Greece, and Queen Louise of Sweden. Thus, she is the grandmother of the Duke of Edinburgh. With the Duke marrying the Queen, we have not heard anything. Queen Louise never had any children, and Lord Mountbatten married outside the royal circles to Edwina Ashley.

emily62_1 said:
sure, 1830, I get easily confused when it comes to the British Rf in the 1800s.

why think of a gene mutation, which is so rare indeed, when the answer is there, under our eyes?

tiaraprin said:
Victoria was the mother of Lord Mountbatten, Princess Alice of Greece, and Queen Louise of Sweden. Thus, she is the grandmother of the Duke of Edinburgh. With the Duke marrying the Queen, we have not heard anything. Queen Louise never had any children, and Lord Mountbatten married outside the royal circles to Edwina Ashley.

There was another son beside Lord Mountbatten and that was the Second Marquis of Milford Haven. He and his son both died relatively early compared to the other members of the family. I am not suggesting that either had the disease but they may have some other problem.

Live fast...

chrissy57 said:
There was another son beside Lord Mountbatten and that was the Second Marquis of Milford Haven. He and his son both died relatively early compared to the other members of the family. I am not suggesting that either had the disease but they may have some other problem.
"...some other problem" ? I think it could be said that George, 2nd Marquess of Milford Haven, died at the age of 45 as a result of being "partied out". A touch of over-indulgence, perhaps?

:)
W

Warren said:
"...some other problem" ? I think it could be said that George, 2nd Marquess of Milford Haven, died at the age of 45 as a result of being "partied out". A touch of over-indulgence, perhaps?

:)
W

I agree Warren. His wife, Nadeja, was an extravagant woman herself. She was carrying on sexual affairs with many women througout her life and partied quite hard herself. She ended up being named in the Vanderbilt divorce and child custody case because she was having an affair with Gloria Vanderbilt.

An interesting side note, Gloria Vanderbilt's sister was Thelma, Lady Furness, mistress to Edward VIII until Wallis came along. . . .:eek:

And I gather that on a holiday with Thelma, Gloria, and Nadeja, Wallis was uncomfortable enough to leave early. It isn't clear if that's because she disapproved of the affair between Gloria and Nadeja or if Nadeja had propositioned her, but it didn't seem to affect her friendship with Thelma. Perhaps if she'd broken all ties with them at that point, before she really became close to Edward, history might have turned out differently.

I was simply pointing out that there were two sons of the Victoria not one as the earlier poster had mentioned and that this son and his son died relatively young. With both of them dying relatively young there would be 'some other problem' - i.e. partying too much is a problem isn't it? Self-inflicted sure - but a problem nevertheless.

It's OK!

Chrissy57

Please don't take it the wrong way; you gave us the perfect opportunity to indulge in a bit of salacious scandal and gossip!

:) W

chrissy57 said:
I was simply pointing out that there were two sons of the Victoria not one as the earlier poster had mentioned and that this son and his son died relatively young. With both of them dying relatively young there would be 'some other problem' - i.e. partying too much is a problem isn't it? Self-inflicted sure - but a problem nevertheless.

emily62_1 said:
why think of a gene mutation, which is so rare indeed, when the answer is there, under our eyes?
A haemophiliac courtier in the early 19th Century? In my humble opinion not very likely. Any proof?

How ?

lashinka2002 said:
I don't know if you can say the illness has disappeared, the truth may simply be that its treatable now. The RF wouldn't disclose all of thier illness' to the public unless they absolutely had to. I think every royal house who has a genetic link to this disease just may keep it private. If it has just disappeared I'm guessing it could possibly have been weaned out by Royal members not marrying cousins so close in thier genetic pool. I could be wrong too.

well, with our modern media ,how could have they possibly managed to hide from media the news that any Royal member has inherited the illness ? I'm really startled, in less than 100 years, who was the lasyt RF member who suffered from this illness, Alexei ? well, it has just desappeared, gone away......:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
emily62_1 said:
well, with our modern media ,how could have they possibly managed to hide from media the news that any Royal member has inherited the illness ? I'm really startled, in less than 100 years, who was the lasyt RF member who suffered from this illness, Alexei ? well, it has just desappeared, gone away......:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm baffled as to how it would simply disappear unless it was a misdiagnosis all those years ago, they did not have the technology that we have today so I think that it may have been possible.

From what I can see the last royal to inherit this horrible disease was Prince Gonzalo of Spain in 1914, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Some royals to have this disease and dates are...

Prince Leopold 1889-1922 (Princess Beatrices son) he was a hemopheliac, he never married and died from surgery at age 33.

Queen Ena of Spain 1887-1969 (Princess Beatice's daughter) She had 5 children
Alfonso born 1907 was a hemopheliac, he died in a car crash and bleed to death in 1936
Juan non hemopheliac born 1908
Beatriz not a carrier born 1909
1910 Dead baby boy
Cristina not a carrier born 1911
This seems to be the last generation affected by the disease in Spain at least.
Gonzalo born 1914 was a hemopheliac, he also died from internal bleeding in a car accident in 1934

Princess Alice (Queen Victoria's daughter) had 7 children
Princess Victoria was not a hemophelia carrier
Princess Elisabeth had no children it is not known if she was a carrier
Princess Irene 1866-1953 (princess Alice's daughter) was a carrier and had 3 children
Waledemar born 1889 was a hemopheliac lived a very restricted life, became ill and died from lack of blood from transfusion. He had no children.
Sigsimund born 1896 was not a hemopheliac. He had 2 healty children.
Henry born 1900 was a hemopheliac and died at age 4
Prince Ernst was not a hemopheliac
Prince Fredriech 1870-1873 was a hemopheliac, he slipped and fell out of a window and bleed to death he was only 3
Princess Alexandra 1872-1918 was a carrier
Her son Alexis 1904-1918 was a hemopheliac, was murdered.
Her daughters may or may not have been carriers of the disease.
Princess May 1874-1878 died from diptheria very young.

Princess Alice 1883-1981 (Prince Leopold's daughter) had 3 children
May who was not a carrier, she had a son who was not a hemopheliac and neither were her grandsons.
Rupert born 1907 was a hemopheliac he died from bleeding of a car accident. He bleed for 4 days.
Maurice born 1910 died six months after he was born, it was assumed he was a hemopheliac

Mapple said:
A haemophiliac courtier in the early 19th Century? In my humble opinion not very likely. Any proof?

IMO the most likely source for the Haemophilia being introduced was QV's mother Victiore of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. As I have linked before there was a high infant mortality rate in her family in the generations prior to her marriage to the Duke of Kent.

wymanda said:
The following link explains it all and also provides the information on Queen Victoria's mothers family and the strong chance that the gene came from there.

http://www.geocities.com/jesusib/haemophilia.html

wymanda said:
IMO the most likely source for the Haemophilia being introduced was QV's mother Victiore of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. As I have linked before there was a high infant mortality rate in her family in the generations prior to her marriage to the Duke of Kent.
Yes, either that or a new mutation. It would have been very difficult for Viktoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld to find a haemophiliac lover in the early 19th Century.

I just found an article that hemophilia can skip up to 6 generations before appearing. This may be a reason that no cases before Victoria or after Gonzalo have been found. It also mentioned the more probable cause that the gene was mutated in Victoria's case.

http://iaia.essortment.com/royalhemophil_ravx.htm

the gene are not in the brtitish royal today.. but he must be in spain..

it is possible that queen victoria was a love child. there were emergency in the royal familly to have an heir because there where not child who could succeed the throne at that time. her mother and father was really old at that time to have a child and many women in the royals familly had take another men to have an heir because their husband couldnt have one. catherine the great did that.. maybe her real father had the gene and pass to her because there seems to have any hemophiliac before her in both of the familly...

josie21 said:
... many women in the royals familly had take another men to have an heir because their husband couldnt have one. catherine the great did that..
I don't want to hijack the thread, but the case of Paul I is far from being clear-cut. Catherine herself named one of the Saltykovs as Paul's father (privately and not for 'public consumption', of course) and she had many affairs, but Paul I bore a striking resemblance to Peter III. :confused:

josie21 said:
maybe her real father had the gene and pass to her because there seems to have any hemophiliac before her in both of the familly...
The real father ought to have been a haemophiliac then, barring the case of a 'sleeping' gene.

I picked up an interesting book last week on blood types.
In one of the chapters it says that Queen Elizabeth II & Prince Charles are Type O blood types & suggests a type O bleeding disorder blood connection in regards to thier family history. Type O's have naturally thin blood, hence the bleeding suggestion of a possible hemophelia connection.

The book is called eat right 4 your blood type by Dr. Peter J. D'adamo
The statement is made on page 95. This unnfortunately is all it says.

Aside from that the book was very interesting.

josie21 said:
the gene are not in the brtitish royal today.. but he must be in spain..

it is possible that queen victoria was a love child. there were emergency in the royal familly to have an heir because there where not child who could succeed the throne at that time. her mother and father was really old at that time to have a child and many women in the royals familly had take another men to have an heir because their husband couldnt have one. catherine the great did that.. maybe her real father had the gene and pass to her because there seems to have any hemophiliac before her in both of the familly...

The Duchess of Kent was not too old to have a baby when she married Edward, Duke of Kent in 1818. She was in her thirties and had already produced 2 healthy children: Feodora and Charles of Leiningen. There is no evidence to support that the Duke of Kent was impotent. The Duchess of Kent, weird as she might have been throughout Victoria's minority, would not have risked having a love child to take the Crown of England. George IV did not like her and he would have had little Alexandrina Victoria bastardized if he had one little snippet of information that the Duchess had done such a thing! If George IV didn't get the information, William IV would have done it and made the Duke of Cumberland the next heir.

Mapple said:
Yes, either that or a new mutation. It would have been very difficult for Viktoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld to find a haemophiliac lover in the early 19th Century.

I thought the disease came through the mother's line, so what would a hemophiliac lover have to do with it?

I read on a website an article about a book someone wrote about the Russian Royal family, and he claims, with proof that Alexei didn't have Hemophelia, and that it was misdiagnosed and that Rasputin underdtood it and used it to his advantage! interesting, hmm,:cool:

auntie said:
I read on a website an article about a book someone wrote about the Russian Royal family, and he claims, with proof that Alexei didn't have Hemophelia, and that it was misdiagnosed and that Rasputin underdtood it and used it to his advantage! interesting, hmm,:cool:

Can you tell us the website??

tiaraprin said:
Can you tell us the website??

h'mm it was a long time ago, I searched google for Romanov and Photo and got into this site...

I think I posted the website link a long time ago under one of the Romanov threads,
but I can't remember what its called either.

I have a book called "Blood Relative" which I bought in Dublin 4 years ago as it was banned in the U.K. The author claims to be the son of Alexei and Princess Marina and it is compelling reading. There is far too much detail to describe here but apart from the book itself, which is highly convincing, the resemblance between the author and his children to the Greek Royals and Alexei as a child is shocking. I'm not talking a slight resemblance here I am talking clone-like. The author and subject of the book, Michael Gray, is a lecturer at Queens University, Belfast.

Back
Top Bottom