The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-27-2021, 09:58 PM
Royal Highness

31:25. Gladstone and the Very-Much-Not-Amused Queen (keep watching :)

Old 09-28-2021, 12:18 AM
Serene Highness

This scene between Queen Victoria and Disraeli is one of my favorites from the Edward VII miniseries, staring at 9:12 .

Old 10-18-2021, 06:56 PM
Serene Highness

Biography on Prince Albert

I want to read a biography on Prince Albert. There are several I have looked at so could recommend the best one to read, in your opinion? Thanks.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I want to read a biography on Prince Albert. There are several I have looked at so could recommend the best one to read, in your opinion? Thanks.
I answered in Albert's thread here.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:02 PM
Serene Highness

Roger Fulford's books of Queen Victoria's letters

I am reading a book that mentions Roger Fulford's five volume edition of letters between Queen Victoria and her daughter, Crown Princess Victoria, of Prussia. I have been doing some searching and have found what appears to be the five volumes. However, there is not one from 1879 - 1901 when Queen Victoria died. Did Fulford just edit not edit a book of their letters between that time period? I know they continued to write because I have read a summarized edition of their letters that go on until virtually the end of Queen Victoria's life? Here are the book names of Fulford's volumes.

1. Dearest Child Private Correspondence Of Queen Victoria And The Princess Royal, 1858-1861

2. Dearest Mama: Letters Between Queen Victoria and the Crown Princess of Prussia, 1861-1864

3. Your Dear Letter: Private Correspondence Of Queen Victoria And The Crown Princess Of Prussia 1865-1871

4. Darling Child: Private Correspondence Of Queen Victoria And The Crown Princess Of Prussia, 1871-1878

5. Beloved Mama: Private Correspondence Of Queen Victoria And The German Crown Princess, 1878-1885
Old 10-30-2021, 03:34 PM
Majesty

That period encompassed the death of Vicky’s husband though, didn’t it and the famous episode when Sir Frederick Ponsonby smuggled sensitive letters and documents out of the house under the very eyes of the new Kaiser, Frederick and Vicky’s son, and the troops he’d ordered to surround the place? Perhaps that is partly the explanation.

https://europeanroyalhistory.wordpre...grief-part-iv/

I have read the volumes of letters you’ve listed but I also have vague memories of a volume of Queen Victoria’s letters edited by Lord Esher in the early 20th century as well.

Later: Found the explanation. Fulford never edited any more volumes. A Ramm completed the series in 1990, with his edition ‘Beloved and Darling Child’ 1886-1901’. (Stroud 1990) I knew I’d read something like that!
Old 10-31-2021, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
That period encompassed the death of Vicky’s husband though, didn’t it and the famous episode when Sir Frederick Ponsonby smuggled sensitive letters and documents out of the house under the very eyes of the new Kaiser, Frederick and Vicky’s son, and the troops he’d ordered to surround the place? Perhaps that is partly the explanation.

https://europeanroyalhistory.wordpre...grief-part-iv/

I have read the volumes of letters you’ve listed but I also have vague memories of a volume of Queen Victoria’s letters edited by Lord Esher in the early 20th century as well.

Later: Found the explanation. Fulford never edited any more volumes. A Ramm completed the series in 1990, with his edition ‘Beloved and Darling Child’ 1886-1901’. (Stroud 1990) I knew I’d read something like that!
Thank you so much! I will look for that last book by A Ramm.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:21 AM
Royal Highness

My gosh, I just started reading Lady Longford on Victoria and already in the introduction she says she thinks Gladstone was half in-love with her!

Or more, that she fell into his pattern of being attracted to 'unsuitable' women he wanted to 'reform'.

I don't know if W.E. or the Queen realized this, but throw it in the pile with the other things she did not like about him!
Old 12-06-2021, 07:09 PM
Royal Highness

“There is often an irritability in me which (like Sunday last which began the whole misery) makes me say cross & odious things which I don't believe myself & which I fear hurt A. but which he should not believe, but I will strive to conquer it though I knew before I married that this would be a trouble; I therefore wished not to marry, as the two years and a half, when I was completely my own mistress made it difficult for me to control myself & to bend to another's will, but I trust I shall be able to conquer it.” — Victoria (to Stockmar), 1842

She was always incredibly honest, for someone who reigned so long, and this was when she hadn't reigned long at all.

Tags
biography, british history, debt, england, hanover, pictures, queen regnant, queen victoria, saxe-coburg-gotha, victoria