Queen Victoria (1819-1901)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
31:25. Gladstone and the Very-Much-Not-Amused Queen (keep watching :)

This scene between Queen Victoria and Disraeli is one of my favorites from the Edward VII miniseries, staring at 9:12 .

Biography on Prince Albert

I want to read a biography on Prince Albert. There are several I have looked at so could recommend the best one to read, in your opinion? Thanks.

Roger Fulford's books of Queen Victoria's letters

I am reading a book that mentions Roger Fulford's five volume edition of letters between Queen Victoria and her daughter, Crown Princess Victoria, of Prussia. I have been doing some searching and have found what appears to be the five volumes. However, there is not one from 1879 - 1901 when Queen Victoria died. Did Fulford just edit not edit a book of their letters between that time period? I know they continued to write because I have read a summarized edition of their letters that go on until virtually the end of Queen Victoria's life? Here are the book names of Fulford's volumes.

1. Dearest Child Private Correspondence Of Queen Victoria And The Princess Royal, 1858-1861

2. Dearest Mama: Letters Between Queen Victoria and the Crown Princess of Prussia, 1861-1864

3. Your Dear Letter: Private Correspondence Of Queen Victoria And The Crown Princess Of Prussia 1865-1871

4. Darling Child: Private Correspondence Of Queen Victoria And The Crown Princess Of Prussia, 1871-1878

5. Beloved Mama: Private Correspondence Of Queen Victoria And The German Crown Princess, 1878-1885

That period encompassed the death of Vicky’s husband though, didn’t it and the famous episode when Sir Frederick Ponsonby smuggled sensitive letters and documents out of the house under the very eyes of the new Kaiser, Frederick and Vicky’s son, and the troops he’d ordered to surround the place? Perhaps that is partly the explanation.

https://europeanroyalhistory.wordpress.com/2016/12/03/royal-grief-part-iv/

I have read the volumes of letters you’ve listed but I also have vague memories of a volume of Queen Victoria’s letters edited by Lord Esher in the early 20th century as well.

Later: Found the explanation. Fulford never edited any more volumes. A Ramm completed the series in 1990, with his edition ‘Beloved and Darling Child’ 1886-1901’. (Stroud 1990) I knew I’d read something like that!

Last edited:
That period encompassed the death of Vicky’s husband though, didn’t it and the famous episode when Sir Frederick Ponsonby smuggled sensitive letters and documents out of the house under the very eyes of the new Kaiser, Frederick and Vicky’s son, and the troops he’d ordered to surround the place? Perhaps that is partly the explanation.

https://europeanroyalhistory.wordpress.com/2016/12/03/royal-grief-part-iv/

I have read the volumes of letters you’ve listed but I also have vague memories of a volume of Queen Victoria’s letters edited by Lord Esher in the early 20th century as well.

Later: Found the explanation. Fulford never edited any more volumes. A Ramm completed the series in 1990, with his edition ‘Beloved and Darling Child’ 1886-1901’. (Stroud 1990) I knew I’d read something like that!

Thank you so much! I will look for that last book by A Ramm.

My gosh, I just started reading Lady Longford on Victoria and already in the introduction she says she thinks Gladstone was half in-love with her! :eek:

Or more, that she fell into his pattern of being attracted to 'unsuitable' women he wanted to 'reform'.

I don't know if W.E. or the Queen realized this, but throw it in the pile with the other things she did not like about him!

“There is often an irritability in me which (like Sunday last which began the whole misery) makes me say cross & odious things which I don't believe myself & which I fear hurt A. but which he should not believe, but I will strive to conquer it though I knew before I married that this would be a trouble; I therefore wished not to marry, as the two years and a half, when I was completely my own mistress made it difficult for me to control myself & to bend to another's will, but I trust I shall be able to conquer it.” — Victoria (to Stockmar), 1842

She was always incredibly honest, for someone who reigned so long, and this was when she hadn't reigned long at all.

On November 1, 1858 Queen Victoria gave a proclamation which declared that India was a British dominion. This declaration was ratified by the Government of India Act in Parliament.

THE QUEEN'S LAST RIDE

The Queen is taking a drive to-day,
They have hung with purple the carriage-way,
They have dressed with purple the royal track
Where the Queen goes forth and never comes back.

Let no man labour as she goes by
On her last appearance to mortal eye:
With heads uncovered let all men wait
For the Queen to pass, in her regal state.

Army and Navy shall lead the way
For that wonderful coach of the Queen's to-day.
Kings and Princes and Lords of the land
Shall ride behind her, a humble band;
And over the city and over the world
Shall the Flags of all Nations be half-mast-furled,
For the silent lady of royal birth
Who is riding away from the Courts of earth,
Riding away from the world's unrest
To a mystical goal, on a secret quest.

Though in royal splendour she drives through town,
Her robes are simple, she wears no crown:
And yet she wears one, for, widowed no more,
She is crowned with the love that has gone before,
And crowned with the love she has left behind
In the hidden depths of each mourner's mind.

Bow low your heads--lift your hearts on high -
The Queen in silence is driving by!
-Ella Wheeler Wilcox, 1901

Victoria's mother and uncle Leoploid wanted a German prince for Victoria!

There were many candidates
The Duke of Orleans was ruled out as he was Roman Catholic.
Prince George of Cumberland ,future George V of Hanover
William,Prince of Orange

Queen Victoria's Faberge Christmas gift from the Romanovs

Did Queen Victoria resent her daughter-in-law Princess Alexandra's Danish loyalties?

I don’t think she regarded a Danish family connection with much favour anyway as I believe she would have preferred that her eldest son Bertie had married a German. I think she did rather resent it when Alexandra’s views clashed with her (and the BRF’s) consistent support of Prussia. Her eldest daughter Vicky was of course married to the Prussian Crown Prince Friedrich.

That led no doubt to some awkward moments on family occasions after Schleswig/ Holstein was invaded by Prussia soon after Alexandra’s wedding to the Prince of Wales (Bertie). Danes regarded the Duchies as theirs.

Last edited:
Queen Victoria was an only child. How did she have siblings?

She also had a half-brother on her father's side.

Various sources report that the Duke of Kent had mistresses. In Geneva, he had two mistresses, Adelaide Dubus and Anne Moré. Dubus died at the birth of her daughter Adelaide Dubus (1789 – in or after 1832). Anne Gabrielle Alexandrine Moré was the mother of Edward Schenker Scheener (1789–1853). Brought up in Geneva as the ostensible son of Thimothée Schencker, his father promised to find him a post in the UK civil service and in 1809 he was appointed a clerk in the Foreign Office, being retired with a pension in 1826. When his half-sister Victoria became Queen in 1837, with his English wife Harriet Boyn (1781-1852) he returned to Geneva, where he died in 1853. He had no children.

Queen Victoria was known as "The Widow of Windsor".

Back
Top Bottom