Queen Mary, consort of George V (1867-1953)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone have any info on Queen Mary's paternal ancestry? Esp her grandmother Teck? Wasnt she a member of the Hungarian aristocracy?

Does anyone have any info on Queen Mary's paternal ancestry? Esp her grandmother Teck? Wasnt she a member of the Hungarian aristocracy?

Queen Mary's paternal ancestry:

Father: Francis, Prince, and, 1871 1st Duke of Teck (1837-1900)

Her paternal grandmother: Claudine, Countess Rhédey (1814-1841)
Her paternal grandfather: Alexander, Duke of Württemberg (1804-1885)

It was a morganatic marriage; eldest daughter was Claudine, Princess of Teck (1836-1894), younger daughter Amélie, Princess of Teck (1838-1893)

It was in 1835 that Duke Alexander had married Countess Rhèdey of Kis-Redé, who was then created Countess Hohenstein. Only 3 years after the birth of Amélie, countess Hohenstein was thrown from her horse during a review of Austrian troops in Vienna. A squadron trampled her to death. She is buried in the mountains of Transylvanie in a little church in Erd Szent-György. Her son Franz/Francis become lateron very attached to the Austrian empress Elizabeth, even accompanying her to Madeira in 1860. He was an officer in the Austrian Imperial Army prior to the marriage to Princess Mary Adelaide.

Unfortunatly I have not found a picture of Countess Hohenstein, only of Duke Alexander. Please let me know, if you are interested.

Are there any pictures of Queen Mary with Prince Charles or Princess Anne?

Thanks again!!! Wonderful pictures and info!

((I am in London now (first trip) and just returned - like an hour ago - from touring Buckingham Palace....))

Hello and thank you for allwoing me to join this wonderful group! I was wondering if anyone has the Gift list from the wedding of Princess May? Does this exist?
sorry for typo! Allowing is more correct! Not so good at typing! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can edit your own post for up to 48 hours after you write it; just hit the Edit button on the bottom right of your post.

I've seen some wedding gift lists, but I'm not sure I've seen one for Princess May and Prince George. However, you can have a look at this thread and this thread and see if you can find the information or, if not, ask in one of the threads if anyone knows.

Last edited:
Queen Mary in white ermine coat

I once spotted a picture of Queen Mary of Great Britain wearing a white ermine coat. It neither was at the wedding of the Princess Royal Mary or Princess Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon,the Queen mother, nor at any coronation festivity. I guess the picture rather showed Queen Mary on a boat.
I have been looking through my archives but have not been successful in finding it.
Can anybody be of help to me an post a picture/link according to my description? Thanks a lot for any help!

Could it be during the Coronation Durbar? There is a picture showing Their Majesties on a balcony of Shah Jehan's palace in order to present themselves to the huge crowds at the garden party.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/330...3E61C514E7EC6C75A5A9DB4BB295FA55A1E4F32AD3138

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/328...4C7EF07395AB6422721848169ECE4A55A1E4F32AD3138

No, it is not a cape but rather a whole white ermine coat; more like that one in this link
Mirrorpix, search for picture WA1003664

No, it is not a cape but rather a whole white ermine coat; more like that one in this link
Mirrorpix, search for picture WA1003664
This is a similar pic, without watermark. The image is no longer subject to copyright.

York Wedding, 26 April 1923
From left to right:
Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary, Duchess of York, Duke of York, King George V

Attachments

• Wedding 1923 with Q Alexandra.jpg
    Wedding 1923 with Q Alexandra.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 1,289
I've always loved Queen Mary's look.
Maybe not her politics or the way she handled her family. But she always looked like a Queen :D
x

Thanks, Hermine and Warren. The only pic I found in my books is one of Queen Mary & Queen Alexandra & Toria attending the Mountbatten wedding in 1922. QM is seen full scape in something which appears like a white fur coat. Unfortunatly the picture is really really tiny and I doubt anything will be seen, if I scan it and attach it. Also I could not find it online ... Lord Louis and his bride - yes - but not their royal guests :ermm::nonono: So Sorry!

Queen Mary in ermine coat

Thanks a lot for the picture on the balcony without watermarks - I really do enjoy it - although I am still missing that special photo.

Hmm, don't see the resemblance to Prince Harry myself...

But I was on ebay today and noticed a tobacco card being sold (from Ireland) featuring the future Queen Mary as the Duchess of Cornwall. (I was looking for Camilla collectibles.)

Queen Mary (1867-1953)

I enjoyed this forum with the amount of new photographes I've never seen. Reading your posts I remember a Queen Mary's reference on loyalty, "loyalty to your king, loyalty to the country where you live ,and loyalty to God." As a queen she was and acted like this.:royalstandard:

:previous:

Thanks for posting this! :flowers: Didn't she had a beautiful voice? Her voice reminds me a bit of Princess Alexandra of Kent's (which I heard only one time in an video about her wedding).

thanks for the link
yes, Queen Mary's voice was the voice of a lady full
of intelligence and vitality... whereas King George's voice seened that of a man... a little world weary... it was like the surmon of a country vicar.

However, it does sound like the talk was specifically addressed to an audience of children.... Children of the Empire... or something.

Did Queen Mary have a 'curious' foreign accent? ... you be the judge :innocent:
It does sound like Mary had a German accent. After all, she was a princess of Teck, a German princinpality.

Thank you for the link, PssMarie-Elisabeth! :flowers:
Queen Mary had a very pleasant voice. King George did sound like a preacher a bit, but then the message was addressed to the children of the British Empire.

As to the accent, I always thought the way Queen Mary and King George were speaking was a kind of old fashioned british-accent (rolling the r's)? I don't know. Mary of Teck was born in London/Kensington Palace and raised in England, so I suppose she would have been raised bilingual at least. But I always (maybe its just me) thought George V. had a bit of a german accent? I'm a bit indetermined :flowers:

Although I am by far no expert in English accents, I didn't really notice any German accent in Queen Mary's message. But, like Dierna23, I thought King George did sound a bit German.
Or maybe it was just English as it sounded over 100 years ago. :rolleyes:

I don’t see how Queen Mary could have had a German accent: she was born and raised in England. Her family moved to Germany when she was 16 but came back to England 2 years later. Her mother, Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, lived in England since she was 3 years old. Her father lived in England for 40 years of his life. Surely English wasn’t a second but first language for Queen Mary and her family?

We got so engrossed in the discussion of the accents, we more or less forgot about the actual message of Their Majesties: ;)
I thought it was a very good advice/message to the 'boys and girls' of the British Empire, which can be applied today as well, for people all around the world: "every one of you counts and what you do and learn now will decide how far you will be able to play your part worthily when you grow up".

PssMarie-Elisabeth said:
...great quotes by the way * ^o^
Thank you. Those are my favourite Latin sayings. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom