Queen Mary, consort of George V (1867-1953)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If true, the last time they had met had been in Berlin in 1913. How the world had changed since then.

I feel bad for feeling this way but I hate that she took so any of the Romanov's jewels.

Perhaps though it's good that she did...otherwise think of how many would of be lost.

LaRae

What Romanov jewels did Queen Mary acquire besides the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara? I know there are more but not sure if it is a lot or a little.

My understanding is that Queen Mary paid fair market value for the jewels she acquired and that George V supported exiled members of Russian royal family in other ways like grace and favor housing.

I am currently reading two books on Queen Mary, in tandem. They are "Queen Mary" by James Pope-Hennessy and "Matriarch: Queen Mary and the House of Windsor" by Anne Edwards. I read a review on Amazon that suggested reading both at the same time, switching back and forth. I am reading up to a certain point in history and then switching books and reading up to that same point. I started with the Hennessy book and then switch to the Edwards book. I am finding that even though the Hennessy book is longer, the Edwards book is filling in some interesting details left out by the official biography. How reliable is the Edwards book?

It's been a good many years since I read Anne Edwards's 'Matriarch'. I can remember it as being an enjoyable read, but rather sparse in the footnote and sources department. I think James Pope-Hennessy's books are generally well-researched, so on the whole I'd trust JPH more.
I don't read much fiction, mainly histories and biographies and, as a rule of thumb, if these aren't well-sourced I don't trust them very much, unless there's another independent source elsewhere backing things up.

What Romanov jewels did Queen Mary acquire besides the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara? I know there are more but not sure if it is a lot or a little.

My understanding is that Queen Mary paid fair market value for the jewels she acquired and that George V supported exiled members of Russian royal family in other ways like grace and favor housing.

Mary had a reputation of being a magpie. It was said that she often visited and hinted people should gift her what she liked. People hid things when she came to visit.

But yes, many of the jewels from Russia she did purchase. Buying them at auction you can't be sure she paid market value. Though may have paid more.

Two pieces beyond the tiara that I am aware of

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: Empress Marie Feodorovna's Sapphire Brooch

http://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2014/08/the-marie-feodorovna-pearl-and-sapphire.html

She also collected furniture and other items.

Is there a place online to view Queen's Mary's collection of miniatures--not just her doll house? In the two books I read on her there was discussion of her collection of miniature objects of all kinds. I would just love to see this collection.

As I recently joined forum, I looked here and thought of Osipi mentioning to me in different thread I should look around the different topics This is a wonderful site chock full history. Many thanks to gogm for directing to the photo albums. Late last night I thought I’d take a peek. Three hours later I retired. As you see I’m here again. It’s absolutely fascinating to see the history and I so enjoy the family resemblances it’s uncanny. Oh to be a fly on the wall at BP and hear the opinions of our beloved RF as they look at their photos.

I know I'm off topic on this thread, but I've always been intrigued by the un-Mountbatten/Windsor-like looks of Prince Andrew. (I'm not hinting at anything unsavoury in that observation, by the way.)

Except for the Mountbatten choppers he looks nothing like Prince Philip, and very little like his mother either. It was said when he was young that Andrew looked like the young George V, (before the beard, obviously,) and I've noticed a bit of a resemblance, but really Andrew doesn't look like his parents or any of his siblings. Maybe there's a Bowes Lyon throwback in looks as Eugenie is said to resemble the QM?

Last edited:
Continuing the OT: imo indeed P.Andrew takes after the Bowes-Lyon family, for me from the eyes down he resembles f.i. David Bowes-Lyon brother of QEQM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/c2/57/a3c257d79a3ba57810512fc407118779.jpg
Forehead and hair imo from P.Philip's side of the family
Imo in the next generation Peter Philips resembles hus uncle Andrew a bit (and imo P.William resembles Peter Philips in a way)

They all don't have the distictive Q.Mary features that for instance QEII, P.Anne, Louise Wessex and P.Mary (countess of Harewood) share

ok, i'll stop the OT now ;)

I don't see any resemblance between Eugeine and the queen Mum.. she has a look of Fergie, but heavier and darker.
True that Andy Does look oddly "out of palce" in his family, he does not have the standard Windsor looks.. or his father's good looks...

Denville go look at pics of the Queen Mum when she was younger...she and Eugenie have a definate resemblence to one another.

Prince Andrew has the look of Queen Mary.

laRae

I agree Pranter...when first I saw Eugenie in the Harpers Bizarre pics thoughts were of QM resemblance. Eugenie looked lovely

I agree Pranter...when first I saw Eugenie in the Harpers Bizarre pics thoughts were of QM resemblance. Eugenie looked lovely

She can be absolutely stunning at times.

LaRae

Eugenie's smile is quite a bit like her mother's and she often smiles quite broadly, making it a little harder to see the similarities to her great-grandmother, but in photos where her mouth is closed or the expression on her face is more neutral, Eugenie looks very much like QM.

Honeslty can't see any resemblance between the York girls and most of the RF. Beatrice looks like Sarah a bit...

Continuing the OT: imo indeed P.Andrew takes after the Bowes-Lyon family, for me from the eyes down he resembles f.i. David Bowes-Lyon brother of QEQM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/c2/57/a3c257d79a3ba57810512fc407118779.jpg
Forehead and hair imo from P.Philip's side of the family
Imo in the next generation Peter Philips resembles hus uncle Andrew a bit (and imo P.William resembles Peter Philips in a way)

They all don't have the distictive Q.Mary features that for instance QEII, P.Anne, Louise Wessex and P.Mary (countess of Harewood) share

ok, i'll stop the OT now ;)

Andrew's eyes remind me of his great-grandmother, Queen Alexandra.

Honeslty can't see any resemblance between the York girls and most of the RF. Beatrice looks like Sarah a bit...
Princess Beatrice is a near dead-ringer for the young Queen Victoria - who had auburn hair as a young woman. Beatrice's features are quite Hanoverian, especially her eyes.

I think Her Majesty looks like Queen Mary

Queen Mary's genes seem to have been quite dominant. So much of what we consider the "Windsor look" in the current BRF is really a resemblance to May.

I also see resemblance between Countess of Harewood and the current royal family

Andrew looks very much like Queen Mary. Anyone that compares pics would know there wouldn't even be DNA testing required.

LaRae

I don't see a resemblance to Q Mary, who was distinguished looking, if not pretty. But who is the stable man ?

I don't see a resemblance to Q Mary, who was distinguished looking, if not pretty. But who is the stable man ?

I believe that reference is to Henry George Reginald Molyneux Herbert, 7th Earl of Carnarvon KCVO KBE DL, Lord Porchester (Porchie) who was a very close friend of the Queen's and also her racing manager. These two friends were at their very best when they put their heads together to talk horses and racing and all that goes with it.

Some people assumed that the Queen had an affair with him that resulted in Andrew's birth. There really is no substance to that rumor. They remained close friends until his death in 2001. The Queen attended his funeral. Something she rarely does.

Keep looking at pictures of them at various ages.

LaRae

Keep looking at pictures of them at various ages.

LaRae

I always thought Andrew took after the Bowes Lyon branch of the family. Eugenie resembles Andrew and she looks very much like the Queen Mother as a young woman.

I see a lot of Queen Mary (when she was younger) in Anne and Zara, and when she was older, the Queen resembles her grandmother.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom