Victoria, Princess Royal (1840-1901)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ritapaiva

City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
Does someone have more photos of the later Empress Friederick of German still as Princess of Great Britain?

Very beautiful portrait indeed! Do you think the artist enhanced her features or do you think that this is what she really looked like? I love her dress!

I know I saw a blurry photo from her wedding, I think it was in Victoria Longford's biography of Queen Victoria.

iowabelle said:
I know I saw a blurry photo from her wedding, I think it was in Victoria Longford's biography of Queen Victoria.

If you are referring to the one of Vicky with her parents, yes it is blurred because Queen Victoria moved. The daguerrotype, as it was called then, had just been invented, and I believe this is one of the first Royal Photographs ever taken.

That's it, the blurry photograph! Pretty obvious that photography had not been mastered yet.

She really was very good looking. She looks the same in all the photographs and paintings I have seen of her. I think she took after her father as Victoria wasn't very attractive.

pictures

robinson5-10-11.jpg

vicky.jpg

vic26.jpg

vic23.jpg

VickyAlice1852.jpg

wenn_31.jpg

I think all of Queen Victoria's offspring were very attractive as children. I think Pss Victoria looked alot like her mother, who wasn't that unattractive. Esp. when she was younger.

Bella said:
I think Pss Victoria looked alot like her mother, who wasn't that unattractive. Esp. when she was younger.
I agree, that Victoria of Germany looked very much like her mother in all stages of life. They had the same style (hairstyle and clothes) and the same figure. Empress Frederic never adopted to the "edwardian style" but forever looked like Victorian english. (In some pictures she and Florence Nightingale look like twins;) )
Was she attractive?
That is difficult to say.
Winterhalter portrayed all his women equally beautiful and in the same style.
The early photographs are difficult to look at, since the black and white gives lots of shadows, the faces are hard to see (most photos show the complete person standing or sitting quite removed from the camera, no close ups) and their expression, typically for that era is very serene, almost unfriendly stiff.
However, if we take into account, that neither of those women used any make-up, than kudos. (without make-up, even supermodels tend to look a bit plain:rolleyes: )
Bella said:
I think all of Queen Victoria's offspring were very attractive as children.
Well Mother Victoria certainly was of a different opinion;) .
In a letter to the empress Frederic she once wrote about her son Leopold: "...but he holds himself still as badly than ever and is very ugly, I think uglier than he ever was" and later when the crownprincess had her first baby herself, Queen Victoria wrote: " If you remember what Leoplod was! I hope he won't be the ugliest and least pleasing of the whole family. L was not an ugly baby, only as he grew older, he grew plainer....that is so vexatious"

From reading Kaiser Wilhelm II biography, Empress Frederick was definitely one to speak her mind, regardless of her children's feelings.

Vicky, Princess royal, Empress of Germany

:flowers: I want to know about the life of Vicky, daughter of Queen Victoria. I want to Know if she was happy with her husband, if he didnt unfaithful to her. I know that she was a inteligent woman, and that she had bad relation with her older son, the kaiser. I want to know about her because I belive that she was a great woman, and, I am sorry that she died at 60's, in 1901, the same year that her mother and her brother, Alfred, dead.

Here you can see some of her paintings -
Kaiserin Friedrich - Startseite
in Germany the widowed Viktoria was known as "Kaiserin Friedrich" - on google you might find lots of references to her under this name.:flowers:

Here is an online-version of an exhibit: Victoria und Albert, Vicky and The Kaiser. A chapter of Anglo-German family relations

And here I found a book about her life in English:

Hannah Pakula: An uncommon woman. The empress Frederick. Daughter of Queen Victoria, wife of the crown prince of Prussia, mother of Kaiser Wilhelm, Simon & Schuster, New York, 1995

Last edited by a moderator:
Vicky and Fritz were said to have had a blissfully happy marriage and both remained faithful to the other.

She died of cancer - said to be cancer of the spine because of the severe pain she suffered - but it is thought now that it was more likely due to breast cancer which had spread to other areas of the body, including the spine. :sad:

She and her husband had a genuine love match. She had a very bad relationship with her son, partly due to her in-laws, partly due to Otto Von Bismarck.

I can't help but think what would have happened in Europe if her husband Kaiser Frederick had ruled for longer than 88 days. He was shaped by Vicky politically, who was shaped by her father, Prince Albert.

Hannah Pakula's book on her is very interesting. In the 80s I stayed a few times at the Schlosshotel Kronstein, which was her residence after Frederick died. It then belonged to her grandson, who operated it as a hotel, but left so many family possessions sitting about that it felt almost as if one were visiting her. Photos on tables, books, small items on tables, etc. Also Monets, Degas, etc. paintings on the walls, NOT reproductions. The place is beautiful, grounds designed in the English style (much of the property is now a golf course but remains as it was right around the house). The schloss was built for her, is somewhat castle-like but small & intimate, a family home. I loved standing where I had seen photos taken of the family, some when Edward VII, Victoria's brother, visited. Her children called him "Uncle Tum-Tum." Fitting!

I felt very sorry for her. After her husband's death she was pretty much marginalized & it was very difficult for her. As Wilhelm grew up he treated her even more poorly. Her own death was horrifying. She was in excruciating pain & German doctors refused to give her painkillers. Servants said they could hear her screams all the way out in the stables.

I read a bit ago, can't unfortunately remember where, that her jewelry was found fairly recently during some repairs, stashed under the basement floor, where it had been hidden during WWI and forgotten. No info as to what was there or what became of it after that.

Why would her jewelry been hidden in the basement during WWI? She had been dead several years at the time. I loved the way Vicky managed to get her personal papers and correspondence out of the house prior to her death, just as sh and Frederick had the foresight to spirit the same away from Prussia prior to Frederick's death. These two were true visionaries and had no illusions when it came to their eldest son.

Cat

I often wonder how different our world would be now if Frederick had lived to a ripe old age. If there was no World War I, Iraq wouldn't even exist.

The pic quality is better in Hannah Pakula's book and here's a scan.

Vicky's Wedding, January 25 1858
"Queen Victoria was so nervous that she moved..."

Attachments

• Vicky Wedding 1858.jpg
    Vicky Wedding 1858.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,546
Image of Vicky in Her Wedding Dress

Here's another pic of Vicky's wedding:

Attachments

• Vicky Wedding 1858a.jpg
    Vicky Wedding 1858a.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 3,520
Beautiful...her wedding picture.

I think it is so sad..the relationship she had with Willy, Charlotte, and Henry. At least her three youngest daughters gave her unconditional love and support.

Her last days echo those of Queen Marie and her son Carol, when he refused treatment for his mother, and then made her take a train trip back to her home knowing full well that it did her more damage to her health and probably hastened her death.

How could two sons do this to their mothers?

Why would her jewelry been hidden in the basement during WWI? She had been dead several years at the time.
Cat

Cat, the jewels were still in the family & her house, Friedrikshof (now Schlosshotel Kronberg), was still used by them. I guess they hid them to keep them safe in case of invasion -- succeeded too well. How can you possibly FORGET you hid a cache like that? Wouldn't happen in my basement (for more reasons than one)!

Emerald

If one studies the life and character of the Empress Frederik it becomes apparent that she was not always the most benevolent of mothers and unfortunately this resulted in several of her children rejecting her and the ideals of herself and her husband.

Back
Top Bottom