Victoria, Princess Royal (1840-1901)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Russo my dear, and my dear Tsaritsa,

If you read Clay's King, Kaiser, Tsar, she suggests that the door swings both ways. From the letters Vicky wrote to Queen Victoria, Willy's mother was repulsed by his disfigurement and this had to have some bearing on their relationship.
That is one book I have wanted to read for a long time VM. Thanks for reminding me about it! :flowers:

Russo my dear, and my dear Tsaritsa,

If you read Clay's King, Kaiser, Tsar, she suggests that the door swings both ways. From the letters Vicky wrote to Queen Victoria, Willy's mother was repulsed by his disfigurement and this had to have some bearing on their relationship.

He also blamed her insistence on using an English doctor during his birth (which he blamed for his disfigurement) and as a result, hampered Vicky's efforts to get an English doctor to treat Frederick with his cancer.

He also blamed her insistence on using an English doctor during his birth (which he blamed for his disfigurement) and as a result, hampered Vicky's efforts to get an English doctor to treat Frederick with his cancer.

My dear Zonk,

But ironically, when Vicky did get an English doctor to examine Frederich (I think it was MacKenzie), the diagnosis was that he did not have cancer. All the German doctors said he had cancer and MacKenzie gave the family some (false) hope. Later, the doctor admitted that his initial diagnosis was wrong. But I don't think it would have made any difference--it sounds like the poor man's cancer was so advanced that there was nothing anyone could do. Bertie was quite grief stricken and wrote a passionate letter to George (V) imploring him to never forget his uncle and how good he was.

That is one book I have wanted to read for a long time VM. Thanks for reminding me about it! :flowers:

Russo my dear,

It is a very well written book and I am enjoying it. It is a good study of the three cousins who led their countries into war. There is a lot about the people surrounding them as well. I am now at the point where Nicky and Alexandra have just got engaged.

Does anyone know if there could possible be film footage of Vicky? In one short bit I have seen of Queen Victoria, her first on film, for a split second there is a woman near the carriiage all in black morning sort of like photo's I have seen of Vicky. Or might there be a recording of her voice? Probably not. It has been a while since I have been on line so wanted to ask. She is one of my favorite royals of all time.

The English were just as xenophobic with the Germans as the Germans were with Victoria. They didn't like Prince Albert because he was German, completely ignoring that Queen Victoria was German on both her mother and father's side. Also when Alexandra married Nicholas II, they hated her for being German; when many of her predecessors were German as well, including Catherine The Great. The prejudice against certain royals married to other royals is just laughable.

My dear Zonk,

But ironically, when Vicky did get an English doctor to examine Frederich (I think it was MacKenzie), the diagnosis was that he did not have cancer. All the German doctors said he had cancer and MacKenzie gave the family some (false) hope. Later, the doctor admitted that his initial diagnosis was wrong. But I don't think it would have made any difference--it sounds like the poor man's cancer was so advanced that there was nothing anyone could do. Bertie was quite grief stricken and wrote a passionate letter to George (V) imploring him to never forget his uncle and how good he was.

Vasillisos...what is your source. I don't recall that in the book that I read on Vicky.

Vasillisos...what is your source. I don't recall that in the book that I read on Vicky.

My dear Zonk,

King, Kaiser, Tsar by Clay. This was the first I read of this. The doctor was Morell Mackenzie of Harley Street and the information can be found on p. 121.:flowers:

I couldn't get into that book. I made it to the Wilhelm's second chapter and just had to put it down.
As to the future Edward VII being grief stricken at his brother in laws death; it gives me a little understanding as to why the German's did not like Frederick if he got along so well with his English in laws it probably meant he held some of their ideals.

Last edited:
My dear XeniaCasaraghi,

You are absolutely correct. Frederick was very liberal and the English hoped he would usher in a liberal society and an eventual constitutional monarchy but it was not to be.

:previous:My impression from some of the biographies was that Vicky actually helped pick out spouses for her siblings. She was influential in bringing Princess Alexandra to the attention of the queen as a potential spouse for Bertie. So I am sure that she got along with them to an extent.

Vicki was determined that all of her sisters marry Germans or Prussians. Her ladies maid came up with Alix of Denmark when Bertie emphatically refused to take any of the ugly German princesses Vicki offered up, including one she admitted had "black teeth, if any". Queen V admitted that Bertie would only marry an attractive princess and Alix was it, even though her being Danish was a problem that only grew larger, as soon after, Prussia went to war against Denmark. Later, she pushed for Helena to marry Christian, a German 15 years older than Helena, and tried to get Louise to marry another German Prince. She would have had them all in Germany, if she had her way. Good thing she didn't, IMO.

I've been reading more and more on Victoria and her strained relationship with her son Wilhelm.I wonder did Victoria have a better relationship with her other children?

Victoria also had a strained relationship with her mother in law,Augusta of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach.

I've been reading more and more on Victoria and her strained relationship with her son Wilhelm.I wonder did Victoria have a better relationship with her other children?

Victoria also had a strained relationship with her mother in law,Augusta of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach.

After one of her little boys died, she was only close to the three youngest girls. She had bad relationships with older sons and her oldest daughter, Charlotte. She was too much like her own mother, always criticizing, nothing was good enough, wrote about how ugly some were and how stupid and "backward" etc.

For a brilliant woman she had no skills in dealing with, or judging people. She constantly was fooled by Bismark, the chancellor, as well as her son Willy. They both made fools of her time and again. A very sad story, all in all, her life.

After one of her little boys died, she was only close to the three youngest girls. She had bad relationships with older sons and her oldest daughter, Charlotte. She was too much like her own mother, always criticizing, nothing was good enough, wrote about how ugly some were and how stupid and "backward" etc.

For a brilliant woman she had no skills in dealing with, or judging people. She constantly was fooled by Bismark, the chancellor, as well as her son Willy. They both made fools of her time and again. A very sad story, all in all, her life.

Many thanks,I think you've answered all my questions on the Empress as a mother!!

It is ironic, and sad, that between Vicki and Bertie, always compared by their parents, it was Bertie as Edward VII who fulfilled his task in life with success, and brilliant, determined Vicki who bungled almost everything she put her hand to, after she married. IMO, a great deal of her failures can be attributed to her parents. The Queen insisted she remain a British princess in Prussia, worst possible advise, and Albert put way too much on to her shoulders, with his idea that she could help unite Germany. And then she gained her idea of parenting ( constantly scolding and insulting) from the Queen as well. Poor Vicki, such a sad life.

Probably. It's taken from a collection published in the 1920s, edited by ex courtier Frederick Ponsonby, so it's way out of copyright.

I love collections of letters, especially those like 'Dearest Mama' (letters between Queen Victoria and Crown Princess Vicky when she was a young married woman in Prussia.) Edited by Roger Fulford. They are fascinating, full of opinions and family gossip.

And, sadder but still interesting, 'Beloved and Darling Child' letters between mother and daughter 1886-1901, encompassing Vicky's widowhood and her last illness.

Probably. It's taken from a collection published in the 1920s, edited by ex courtier Frederick Ponsonby, so it's way out of copyright.

I love collections of letters, especially those like 'Dearest Mama' (letters between Queen Victoria and Crown Princess Vicky when she was a young married woman in Prussia.) Edited by Roger Fulford. They are fascinating, full of opinions and family gossip.

And, sadder but still interesting, 'Beloved and Darling Child' letters between mother and daughter 1886-1901, encompassing Vicky's widowhood and her last illness.

Thank you. I will have to print out the online document. I hate reading digital books. I guess I am just old fashioned. :) :) I plan to purchase those books two books you mentioned. I found a beautiful copy of the Fulford book for about $45 online. I may spend some Christmas money on it. I will look for the other book. I want to read a little more about the Hohenzollerns before I read them to get some context on the historical times in Prussia that Vicky was living in. Do you know of any books about them or about Prussia during that time?

Last edited:
For just an overview on the three Kaisers, and how the first became Emperor of Germany I think 'The Kaisers' by Theo Aronson is fine. You can just dip into it as its in three sections.

I hope you eventually read 'An uncommon Woman: The Empress Friedrich' by Hannah Pakula. I can't recommend this bio highly enough, and it's got quite a lot about Vicky's in-laws as well!

For just an overview on the three Kaisers, and how the first became Emperor of Germany I think 'The Kaisers' by Theo Aronson is fine. You can just dip into it as its in three sections.

I hope you eventually read 'An uncommon Woman: The Empress Friedrich' by Hannah Pakula. I can't recommend this bio highly enough, and it's got quite a lot about Vicky's in-laws as well!

Thanks for those recommendations. I will definitely read those books.

Crown Princess Victoria envisioned Prussia taking a leadership role in the unification of the German states. However, unlike the vision of Bismark, Victoria believed a united Germany would be based on liberal ideas of freedom, democracy, representative government and firmly defined constitutional monarchy.

The Royal Collection Trust's instagram account has uploaded Princess Victoria's watercolour painting depicting Mary, Queen of Scots, Sir Amias Paulet (her goaler) and her female attendants before her execution at Fotheringhay Castle.
@royalcollectiontrust Verified
Mary, Queen of Scots was executed at Fotheringhay Castle on this day in 1587. In this emotive watercolour by the 14 year old Princess Victoria (eldest daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert), Mary is imagined in the moments before her execution bidding farewell to her gaoler Sir Amias Paulet, whilst in the background her female attendants weep.
#maryqueenofscots #mqos #fotheringhaycastle #otd #onthisday #princessvictoria
17h​
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLCRXvVjHKD/

The Princess Royal was definitely artistic and talented, even at a very young age.

The Royal Collection Trust's instagram account has uploaded Princess Victoria's watercolour painting depicting Mary, Queen of Scots, Sir Amias Paulet (her goaler) and her female attendants before her execution at Fotheringhay Castle.
@royalcollectiontrust Verified
Mary, Queen of Scots was executed at Fotheringhay Castle on this day in 1587. In this emotive watercolour by the 14 year old Princess Victoria (eldest daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert), Mary is imagined in the moments before her execution bidding farewell to her gaoler Sir Amias Paulet, whilst in the background her female attendants weep.
#maryqueenofscots #mqos #fotheringhaycastle #otd #onthisday #princessvictoria
17h​
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLCRXvVjHKD/

The Princess Royal was definitely artistic and talented, even at a very young age.

Beautiful tribute to the queen of Scots .
Hope Sir Amias Paulet didn't spot the crucifix ;)

Victoria founded the Berlin Industrial Art Museum.
She was one of the organizers of the 1872 Industrial Art Exhibition.

Back
Top Bottom