Princess Victoria ("Toria"), daughter of Edward VII & Queen Alexandra (1868-1935)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that is very mean attitude towards Alix to say that she'd lie about her due dates. her children were premature and not very strong, that does not mean that they weren't hypochondriacal as well, Victoria hadn't got much to occupy her, as she grew older, so fussing over her health would be quite understandable.
To each her own, but I don't think that it is "mean" given that there could be multiple people / "witnesses" in the room or an adjacent room when a royal woman gave birth.

And it's not "very mean" to call Alix "the most selfish person I ever knew"? (Which was her beloved son Georgie.) She was a frequently kind and generous person who had to put up with a lot. She was also accused of stifling her children in reaction.

Eddy, Louise, and Alexander John couldn't help being born when they did, so Alix was clearly innocent half the time. It is possible Alix was not misleading QV and simply got the dates wrong, since she was so infamously unpunctual and obstetrics wasn't exact either, back then. She was also known not to look or seem pregnant early on.

I'm interested to see what Dimond and Gawin's thread have to say.

Yes of course she had her faults but I dont know of any evidence that she lied about her babies' due dates and I dont like people to accuse someone of something which is not proven. Yes George said that she was very selfish and in her way, she was...but I dont think she was a liar. She may have found her mother in law very tiresome but I dont think she woudl have lied to keep QV away...
Its pretty certain that Eddy arrived early and ALix was a very young girl then, and I doubt if she was smart enough to lie about it. He was tiny and nothing was ready for him..... so i'd give her the benefit of the doubt on the issue of due dates. But she was a selfish person in a lot of ways, she was possessive of all the children, and was not that kind to Victoria in keeping her dancing attendnace on her... She spent too much and was silly... but essentially she was a good person albiet selfish

To each her own, but I don't think that it is "mean" given that there could be multiple people / "witnesses" in the room or an adjacent room when a royal woman gave birth.

? not sure what you mean? there were people in the room of any labouring mother, to attend to her and keep her company. For a royal woman there would be a lot of doctors and midwives and usually if possible her mother or female relative.

Why was Alexandra against a German marriage for Princess Victoria? The Princess of Wales' two sisters-in-law, Princess Victoria (The Empress Frederick) and Princess Alice had each married a German.

Why was Alexandra against a German marriage for Princess Victoria? The Princess of Wales' two sisters-in-law, Princess Victoria (The Empress Frederick) and Princess Alice had each married a German.

Alexandra hated Germany -

Queen Alexandra never forgot the Danish loss of Schleswig-Holstein during the war of 1864 and, together with her siblings, remained passionately anti-Prussian all her life.

In 1864 the Prussians invaded the regions of Schleswig and Holstein which the Danes regarded as their territory at the time. This was shortly after Alix’s marriage to Bertie and she never forgot or forgave it. Nor did her sister Dagmar who married Tsar Alexander III of Russia. The whole Danish RF didn’t much like Prussia from then on.

? not sure what you mean? there were people in the room of any labouring mother, to attend to her and keep her company. For a royal woman there would be a lot of doctors and midwives and usually if possible her mother or female relative.
In addition to medical personnel there were government officials who were present as well to confirm that the birth had taken place and that nothing untoward happened, for example that a stillborn baby was not swapped out for a living baby. Now they may not have been in the birthing room, they may have been in an adjacent room, but they had to be close enough or accessible enough to be considered witnesses.

Both Princess Victoria / Vicky and Princess Alice married before their brother Albert Edward / The Prince of Wales. The main source of Alexandra's anti-German attitude was the war(s) involving the Schleswig-Holstein region. Interestingly, her "attitude" is referred to as anti-German, but it may be more apt to state that it was anti-Prussian / anti-Bismark. Although it should be noted that not only was her sister-in-law Princess Vicky / The Princess Royal married the heir apparent the the Prussian throne, but Vicky was also, if not the principle matchmaker, involved in the matchmaking, that led to the marriage between her brother Albert Edward / The Prince of Wales / Edward VII and Alix / Princess Alexandra of Denmark / Queen Alexandra.

Last edited:
yes of course the govt officials were not in the birthing room, but they were supposed to be present at the time of birth to note that the child had been born... I dont know if you are saying that Alix might have lied about her due dates to avoid having these officials around but basically that would have been very wrong of her... as they were there to protect everyone's interests.

Toria was lucky that Alix had Dagmar, to visit and spend time with.

I’m sure I’ve read that Toria’s female friends contrived to have her go and stay with them and their families on regular breaks. And also that Lenchen’s two daughters lent a hand as well.

Im sure people were sorry for her, even though she was said to be rather crabby. But it was hard fro her to escape Alix, and by the time AL died it was probably late for her to have any real life of her own. Unlike the daughters of George III, most of whom managed to get married in later life...

Who were some of the Romanov Grand Dukes who were interested in Princess Victoria?

According to Nicholas himself, he was in love with her. https://www.instagram.com/p/BtgzBtTB7Tv/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=
"He wrote in his diary 'I am in love with Victoria and she seems to be in love with me. In the evening I tried to be alone with her and to kiss her. She is so lovely.'"

Even in 1889 he wrote to his cousin: "She is a truly wonderful creature, and the more and deeper you delve into her soul, the clearer you see all her virtues and qualities. I must confess that it is very difficult to figure it out at first, i.e. to learn her view of things and people, but this difficulty is a special charm for me, which I am unable to explain."

According to Wiki, "the princess also caught the eyes of [the cousin] Grand Duke Alexander Mikhailovich, and later Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich was fascinated by her."

It was either really unfortunate for the future Tsar to have had an attachment with his first cousin, or really unfortunate he didn't figure out a way to get around the religious ban — history could have been quite different...

I also find it quite interesting that Alix of Hesse was not a thousand miles away from her personality-wise. Nicky fairly obviously had a type.

She didn’t like Queen Mary and shared nothing in common with her, but she loved her brother calling him “ old fool” jokingly.

Back
Top Bottom