Princess Patricia of Connaught (1886-1974) & Sir Alexander Ramsay (1881-1972)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AC21091968

Royal Highness
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
I found this Macleans article, which described Princess Patricia of Connaught's life as a "modern princess". She supported the suffragette movement and was a talented artist. Between 1911 to 1916, she often undertook engagement with her father, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, who was the governor general of Canada during this time. Her mother, Princess Louise Margaret of Prussia (later The Duchess of Connaught and Strathearn) was in precarious health.

Perhaps one of the most interesting part is that she married for love and relinquished the style of Her Royal Highness and title of Princess of Great Britain and Ireland. After her marriage to Sir Alexander Ramsay, she became Lady Patricia Ramsay, styled as a daughter of a royal duke.

There has not been a thread specifically for Princess Patricia of Connaught, but I hope there will be more discussions about her. I think she was ahead of her times, but also talented.

https://www.macleans.ca/royalty/princess-patricia-the-first-modern-princess/

She has come up in previous discussions but I can't recall where exactly. Her decision to voluntarily renounce her status is I think unique? Maybe someone else knows if this is true. It's certainly an interesting precedent.

Last edited:
Princess Patricia's name was matched with the Prince Royal of Portugal, Prince Luis Felipe. If she had married Luis, she might have had to become Roman Catholic.

Princess Patricia's name was matched with the Prince Royal of Portugal, Prince Luis Felipe. If she had married Luis, she might have had to become Roman Catholic.

Tragically, Luís Filipe, Prince Royal of Portugal (1887-1908) was assassinated age at 20. It was during this time, where a negotiation for his marriage to Princess Patricia occurred.

In the book Ena & Bee there is a pretty funny (and sassy) sketch from iirc Pat herself, with Pat turning her back on one of the foreign suitors (probably Alfonso). She certainly didn't want to be married off!

Off by an artist (it was drawn by Bee Edinburgh), but still funny.
“Bee and Ena find that Patsy does not quite behave as an English Princess should”, June 1905.
IMG_3500.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom