The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-23-2017, 04:52 AM
Majesty

in the 50s maybe, she was young and pretty.. but it did't last long. By the 70s she was pretty unpopular, and by the 80s she was sidelined.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:09 AM
Courtier

Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (1930-2002)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
in the 50s maybe, she was young and pretty.. but it did't last long. By the 70s she was pretty unpopular, and by the 80s she was sidelined.

I think that’s a little unfair. Princess Margaret was hugely popular in the 1950s and 1960s but her popularity didn’t really wane until the 80s. And that wasn’t a slight on Margaret, it was because she was no longer so much in the spotlight. It wasn’t because she was sidelined - nobody could sideline Margaret!

But in the 1980s, Charles married and had two sons. Andrew married, Anne was already married and had children. Margaret’s place in the pecking order was dropping at a fairly regular rate and she understood that. Margaret was almost obsessed with rank and position and she understood that the longer she lived, the less important she would be in terms of the line of succession. How she dealt with that is another discussion entirely but it’s an unfair representation to say that she was unpopular or disliked by people.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:28 AM
Majesty

She was increasingly unpopular in the 70s. I remember it well because I was a kid then and starting to take an interest in Royalty. She and Anne were not popular then. And In the 80s she was a back number, partly because Charles and Diana had taken over, and partly because she had no "capital of goodwill" wit the public.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:44 AM
Courtier

I think it’s important not to confuse attention and popularity. Princess Anne has never been given the attention or recognition she deserves and is barely ever spoken about. And yet she’s universally respected, even among hardline republicans. Margaret disappeared from centre stage certainly but I don’t think that translates to public dislike.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Aristocracy

I often wonder what her role would have been had she lived until know.

I assume she would have retreated to obscurity and left public life somewhere in the mid 2000s.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would like to think that if she had the longevity of her mother and her sister, she would still be very close to her family but more or less not as visible as a working member of the "Firm". Its hard to believe but today, she would still be younger than the Queen is and I would imagine still a a crucial part of the Queen's support system and within the very intimate circle of the Queen.

I think she would have reveled in Harry's antics in Vegas and though it quite amusing. She would have danced at William's wedding and maybe be happy that Charles finally had a happy marriage. And.... she would still be enjoying her drinks and her smokes whenever she could.

My grandmother lived to a ripe old age of 95 and of course, had her drink every day for "medicinal purposes".
Old 12-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Majesty

She had all but retreated to obcurtiy. Her ill health combined with a lack of public interest left her leading a quiet and retired life.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:29 PM
Courtier

Before her accident in the bath, Princess Margaret was far from retired. She kept up a busy schedule of engagements with organisations she’d long been associated with. It was only that incident which saw her eventual decline and sad death.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:31 PM
Royal Highness

Posting in this thread as originating from the Wm of Gloucester thread, where the below specifics were off-topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Princess Michael of kent did not "convert to his faith". She agreed to allow her children to be brought up as Anglicans...but P Michael was out of the succession because he was married to a Catholic.
And the queen did not "grant Margaret a divorce". She allowed the divorce to go ahead, but that was because Snowdon was having an affair with Lucy Lindsay Hogg who was pregnant..
Sure, sure, thanks for correcting the technicalities. But sadly, the scandalous public revelations about Margaret's affair with Llewellyn certainly played a huge role in the Queen 'allowing the divorce to go ahead.'

Snowden having affairs, impregnating various women and engaging in rampant sexual misconduct himself was certainly not news to anyone in-the-know. Neither was the fact that Margaret & Snowden had both come to hate each other and were unfaithful in their marriage.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
The IRA plotted to murder Princes Margaret for calling the Irish 'pigs' during an official tour to the US in 1979 a new biography has revealed.

IRA 'plotted to kill Princess Margaret' | Daily Mail Online
Had it happened, it would have been a tragic year with the death of Lord Mountbatten at the hands of the IRA as well.

Wasn't Margaret bugged by the KGB in the 60s as well?
Old 01-21-2018, 07:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
Before her accident in the bath, Princess Margaret was far from retired. She kept up a busy schedule of engagements with organisations she’d long been associated with. It was only that incident which saw her eventual decline and sad death.

She wasn't that busy. For instance, she was a patron of Barnado's and went to a function once a year. When Diana took it over, she appeared between 6 and 8 times a year publicly for them and conducted private visits.

To be fair, there was not that much demand for her as she was known to be difficult to the extreme. Also, the principal Royals were garnering the good invitations. PM was never one for mid-winter visits to railroad stations and canneries.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Memories of Angela Huth from Princess Margaret

Princess Margaret as you've never seen her before | Daily Mail Online

Princess Margaret's cream gown she wore for her 21st birthday going on display

Dior gown worn by Princess Margaret is set to go on display at V&A | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-10-2018, 03:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Sh
To be fair, there was not that much demand for her as she was known to be difficult to the extreme. Also, the principal Royals were garnering the good invitations. PM was never one for mid-winter visits to railroad stations and canneries.
I think as she grew older she had less work.. which suited her fine. As Diana and the younger Royals came along in the 80s, an older less popular Royal like Margo took a back seat. And I agree that she was generally felt to be a difficult imperious woman to accommodate at engagements.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:28 PM
Majesty

People probably didn't think of her in that way. However, in 1930 the Prince of Wales was thirty six years old. Even in that period most men were married by their mid-thirties. And the York family were quite prominent. Prince Albert (heir to his brother) was the only son married and the public and Press loved the family and especially little Princess Elizabeth. So Margaret was born into intense public interest from the first. As the years went on that only grew.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:22 AM
Majesty

She and Elizabeth were "next in line" after the D of York, and he was next in line after the POW... nad they were pretty little girls, so of course the meida and the public took an interest. I don't know if people were really expecting Edward to marry, by the early 30s.. I suspect his family felt he was a settled bachelor...
Old 07-18-2018, 01:40 AM
Majesty

I think in 1930 that to most people in Britain and the Empire the Prince of Wales was still Prince Charming, adored and loved. Among the general public though, as Edward neared his forties, there was probably a bit of bewilderment that he showed no signs of wanting to be married, that he hadn't found a nice upper class gel to share his life.

The Yorks, with their settled happily married life and two little girls, were the ideal family to most in the middle classes at that time, and there was a great deal of favourable media about them, always.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I think in 1930 that to most people in Britain and the Empire the Prince of Wales was still Prince Charming, adored and loved in 1930. Among the general public though, as Edward neared his forties, there was probably a bit of bewilderment that he showed no signs of wanting to be married, that he hadn't found a nice upper class gel to share his life.

T
True... THe Duchess of York was very charming and the image fo the 2 pretty little things, and their happy Mother and father was attractive. Edward did retain the Prince Charming image for a long time even when he was getting on a bit.. and nobody seemed to be very bothered that he hadn't married by well into his 30s.. so I think that in the mind of the public perhaps there was a growing idea that "he was a natural bachelor" and that the next heir wold in all probablilty be Pss Eliz of York....
Old 07-18-2018, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

As a child, Princess Margaret would not have contemplated that she was so close in line to the throne. With the marriages of her uncles Henry and George, the general public may still have thought Prince Edward would marry soon.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It was reported that when Elizabeth and Margaret's father became king due to the abdication, six year old Margaret asked her sister if this meant that one day she'd be Queen. When Elizabeth replied that it did, Margaret has been quoted as stating "Poor you!".

Both girls had a full understanding of how things worked. They lived it.

http://time.com/5298945/queen-elizabeth-princess/
Old 07-18-2018, 10:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
As a child, Princess Margaret would not have contemplated that she was so close in line to the throne. With the marriages of her uncles Henry and George, the general public may still have thought Prince Edward would marry soon.
Prince Henry was the last of Edward's brothers to marry, in November 1935 at the age of 35. At that point Edward was 41! I would think that even the most optimistic and adoring of Britons at that time would be contemplating the likelihood of a bachelor King on the throne in the near future!

I doubt that the York princesses studied the current line of succession every day! However, Margaret was only six and a half when the abdication crisis broke. Before her seventh birthday Margaret saw her father the new King, crowned, and she and her family were ensconced at Buckingham Palace. So, from a very early age, say six yrs, Margaret had a very clear idea, IMO, of where she and her sister stood in the line of succession.

Tags
countess of snowdon, princess margaret, wedding