Princess Augusta of Cambridge, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1822-1916)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find the Grand Duchess Augusta (Aunt Augusta as Queen Mary called her) so wonderfully of the old reactionary school of royals with that imperious sense of themselves. I am still amused by her reactions to many events recorded in the Pope- Hennessay biography of her niece, like her taking offense to a footman calling a statue of her grandfather George III as 'the old gentleman on the copper horse' or her disgust at the election of the King of Norway in 1905, 'a revolutionary coronation'.

"I am much more like her daughter than her niece," said Princess Victoria Mary of Teck of her aunt, Augusta, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.

Her lovers knot tiara belongs to the Waldburg-Zeil Princely family and it is stunning.

When Princess Augusta and her family moved to England in 1837 from Hanover, they moved into Cambridge Cottage in Kew and Cambridge House in London.

When Princess Augusta and her family moved to England in 1837 from Hanover, they moved into Cambridge Cottage in Kew and Cambridge House in London.

And also lived a very long life,the Grand Duchess consort of Mecklenburg-Strelitz died in 1916 aged 94!

Back
Top Bottom