Prince John (1905-1919)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those who cannot view the image from instagram, I have downloaded the image and attached to this post as a thumbnail. Hopefully, the image does show up this time.
@queen.alexandra.uk
Queen Alexandra with Prince John. 1916. Prince John was the fifth son of Queen Mary and King George V. He suffered from epilepsy. Queen Alexandra is said to have spend a great amount of time with him playing various games and she loved her grandson a lot. Queen Alexandra also instructed that a special playing lawn to be made for Prince John.

On 18 January 1919, after a severe seizure, Prince John died in his sleep at Wood Farm at 5:30 pm.

Queen Mary wrote in her diary that the news was

a great shock, tho' for the poor little boy's restless soul, death came as a great relief. [She] broke the news to George and [they] motored down to Wood Farm. Found poor Lala very resigned but heartbroken. Little Johnnie looked very peaceful lying there.

Queen Alexandra wrote to Queen Mary that "now [their] two darling Johnnies lie side by side".[referring to Queen Alexandra’s own son who died just a day after birth. (Prince Alexander John of Wales in 1871) . @gracesofthepast thankyou for sharing this with me. ❤️
5d​
Credit: queen.alexandra.uk on instagram

Attachments

• Prince John & Quen Alexandra 1916.jpg
    Prince John & Quen Alexandra 1916.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 596
Alexandra obviously loved her grandson very sincerely and did a great deal for him, but given how she never managed to view her own children as adults, I wonder if part of her attachment to Johnnie was that he was indeed not likely to grow up (a little more than typical "attention to an ill child" way).

Last edited:
Alexandra obviously loved her grandson very sincerely and did a great deal for him, but given how she never managed to view her own children as adults, I wonder if part of her attachment to Johnnie was that he was indeed not likely to grow up (a little more than typical "attention to an ill child" way).
The issue was with some of her children, particularly her daughters because of her husband’s affairs is why she attached herself to some of her kids. I just think she loved little John regardless of whether he want to grow up or not.

Princess Mary, Princess Royal visited her brother. Also I don’t remember but I saw a video some years ago were someone interviewed Lalla Bill, the nanny and she refuted a lot of the inaccurate stuff about him.

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue was with some of her children, particularly her daughters because of her husband’s affairs is why she attached herself to some of her kids. I just think she loved little John regardless of whether he want to grow up or not.

of course she did. She was a rather silly woman, who never grew up that much herself, but she would have loved any of her children or grandchildren, a lot regardless of how mature or young they were... She was possessive though

Queen Alexandra had a special flower garden planted at Sandringham. Prince John visited her to tend their garden patch together.

of course she did. She was a rather silly woman, who never grew up that much herself, but she would have loved any of her children or grandchildren, a lot regardless of how mature or young they were... She was possessive though
Yes, she was possessive, but she really loved her little grandson and had all the time in the world for him.

If this photo is dated 1908 thats not a twelve year old child in the middle there. I don’t believe that is the future King George VI (Albert) who was born in December 1895. Facially it looks more like Prince George the future Duke of Kent, and the age is right for him too as he was born in December 1902. These three pictured, including John, are very young children.

Last edited:
If this photo is dated 1908 thats not a twelve year old child in the middle there. I don’t believe that is the future King George VI (Albert) who was born in December 1895. Facially it looks more like Prince George the future Duke of Kent, and the age is right for him too as he was born in December 1902. These three pictured, including John, are very young children.

Yes, that's the future Duke of Kent in the middle.

Prince Henry used to play with both younger brothers and Olav too, although there don't seen to be any pictures of the four of them specifically.

Olav and his mother were actually staying at their Sandringham house (Appleton) when Johnnie died. That was probably pretty painful, even for a 15 year-old.

Back
Top Bottom