Mary, Queen of Scots (1542-1587)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1539, the same year as her son Thomas.

The family had three homes. Hever castle, Rochford Hall and Blickling Hall. While Hever was claimed by the king after Margaret died, much of the family estate remained with the remaining Boleyn, Mary. Mary and her husband lived at Rochford Hall until her death in 1543. It was sold in 1550 to Lord Rich.
Didn’t one of Mary Boleyn’s great granddaughters (one of Lettice Knolly’s daughters) marry a Lord Rich?

Didn’t one of Mary Boleyn’s great granddaughters (one of Lettice Knolly’s daughters) marry a Lord Rich?
Yes, hr daughter Penelope was first married to Robert Rich, 3rd Baron Rich (later 1st Earl of Warwick). He divorced her in 1605. She had years earlier, around 1595, left him for Charles Blunt, Baron Mountjoy and had several children with him as well. Nothing was done at the time as her brother, Essex, was QEI's favorite.

She admitted to adultey in her divorce. She and Mountjoy were forbidden from marrying and legitmizinf their children. They married privately and were banished from court by James I. Both died a few years later.

Mary, Queen of Scots entering Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh in 1561
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-m...-palace-edinburgh-scotland-1561-21870239.html

If a match with a foreign prince was rejected altogether, then the obvious matrimonial possibility before Queen Mary's guardian was to wed her to the son of one of Scotland's nobles. James, 2nd Earl of Arran thought that his son would make her the best bridegroom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, Arran was totally insane. Literally. :eek:

And totally unscrupulous with his flip flopping between his Pro French Catholic and Scottish Protestant Lord allegiances.

To be a fly on the wall during an Earl of Arran & Marie de Guise confrontation.

Recently I received a letter from a gentleman who is interested in Royalty. He wrote that he believed Mary, Queen of Scots was jailed in the Tower of London. I did some research and found no mention of the Tower of London.
Mary, Queen of Scots was held prisoner by the 6th Earl of Shrewsbury at both Sheffield Manor Lodge and Sheffield Castle.
She was held at: Carlisle Castle, Bolton Castle, Tutbury Castle, Fotheringay Castle.

I doubt they'd have wanted her anywhere near London. I think she also spent time at some of the Shrewsbury/Cavendish family's other homes - not lovely Hardwick Hall, but possibly Chatsworth and some of the others. Bolton Castle is lovely, but it's in the middle of nowhere, and Carlisle's only a few miles from the Scottish border, and Sheffield, Tutbury and even Fotheringhay are a long way from the seat of power. Probably hoping that out of sight was out of mind!

Recently I received a letter from a gentleman who is interested in Royalty. He wrote that he believed Mary, Queen of Scots was jailed in the Tower of London. I did some research and found no mention of the Tower of London.
Mary, Queen of Scots was held prisoner by the 6th Earl of Shrewsbury at both Sheffield Manor Lodge and Sheffield Castle.
She was held at: Carlisle Castle, Bolton Castle, Tutbury Castle, Fotheringay Castle.

As already mentioned Mary was never brought to London. Fotheringay (not that far from me) was the furthest south she was brought & that was only for her "trial".

Away from both London & areas with large recusant populations was the priority for Cecil.

In stark contrast Mary's mother ,Marie de Guise was given the full royal treatment by King Edward VI of England in 1552 at Hampton Court Palace and the Palace of Westminster as a guest of the nation rather than a prisoner!

For her marriage to Henry, Lord Darnley, Mary, Queen of Scots had a papal dispensation from Rome. The dispensation was necessary because Mary and Henry were step-first cousins.

Crowned in Stirling Castle, a building I see most days, Where I played as a child.
Locals do not pay an entry fee so we have visited plenty of times. Although not recently.
Can look at it though.
There are amazing photographs on line but not sure about copyright so would suggest google.

Last edited:
It was by all accounts a very somber Coronations at Sterling Chapel given the death of the king and the English threat.

She was just a baby. 9 months I think.

Yes Queen Mary was 9 months at the time of her Coronation.

There were serious tension behind the scenes between the Earl of Arran and Marie de Guise and her ally Cardinal Beaton .

I tried watching the new film about Mary but it was too awful. I had to stop.

As much as I love Saoirse it was truly dreadful and I too turned it off ;)

As much as I love Saoirse it was truly dreadful and I too turned it off ;)

Yes she's a great actor! There's a charming & funny clip of her pronouncing Irish names for the American chat show host Stephen Colbert:

Please move somewhere else if this is not the right place. Don't want to derail the thread.

Last edited:
At least you saw it on TV. I wasted £4.99 on seeing it at the pictures! It really was dire.

At least you saw it on TV. I wasted £4.99 on seeing it at the pictures! It really was dire.

That's not too bad, costs a lot more in London to go to the cinema. I taped the show but (if its the one with Saoirse Ronan) it was so diabolically bad that I deleted it after half an hour. I think even if I'd gone to the cinema i might have walked out....

I don't mind a bit of artistic licence but they had basic but important facts wrong.

I am obsessed with the Queen of Scots and have devoured everything about her life since I was a girl of about 13 yrs old.

I was ECSTATIC when i first heard about this film but after reading reviews online and from friends who saw it NO THANKS.

So disappointed.:ermm:

I am obsessed with the Queen of Scots and have devoured everything about her life since I was a girl of about 13 yrs old.

I was ECSTATIC when i first heard about this film but after reading reviews online and from friends who saw it NO THANKS.

So disappointed.:ermm:

As somebody who has read a great deal about her life you would be disappointed with the film.
I love walking round Stirling castle ,it is so hard to believe we are walking where she once lived, also her son.
I love history.

I was going to pay to see this movie online but after the reviews here, I think I'll give it a miss. Even though overly fictionalized history, I did enjoy "Reign" on Netflix. ?

I love walking round Stirling castle ,it is so hard to believe we are walking where she once lived, also her son.

I think Sterling too was a dower property of her mother Marie de Guise and Mary lived her during the early years of her life.

Back
Top Bottom