Mary, Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood (1897-1965)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure I've read that she worked in a hospital or at least in a sick ward in a camp or orphanage. And that when some Nazi dignitaries were visiting she put her hands behind her back and refused to shake hands with them.
She was clearly a very "social minded" person - in the sense of being into social welfare issues such as helping the poor, orphans etc.
And She showed great bravery in protecting Jewish people during the war...

There is a documentary about the life of Princess Alice, the mother of Prince Phillip. It is called ' The Queens mother in law ' or something similar. It is really interesting

The personal opinion of Princess Mary is so often overlooked or forgotten about during the Abdication Crisis I think this is the 1st I've ever read about the opinion of the Princess Royal on Edward and Mrs Simpson.

Today in Royal History is the 95th birthday of the youngest son of Mary, Princess Royal and Henry Lascelles, 6th Earl of Harewood, Gerald David Lascelles, who died in 1998.

'In Their Own Words: Princess Mary and Her Family' exhibition opens at Harewood House, Leeds, on 8 October

Hundreds of objects, including personal letters, diary entries, wedding gifts, photographs and a newly restored wedding train from 1922, go on display at Harewood House this autumn as part of a new exhibition about HRH Princess Mary, The Princess Royal (1897-1965)

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefee...ly'_exhibition_opens_at_harewood_house,_leeds

Yes and the the photo was taken 1st of February 1947 only months before Henry Lascelles, 6th Earl of Harewood died,he was 64 ,the Princess Royal 49 years old and their son the future 7th Earl was just 23 years old.

Get rid of Wallis Simpson for good! Edward VIII's abdication caused turmoil, not least among his own family. Now newly discovered letters from his sister, Princess Mary, reveal a shocking plan to prevent the marriage from ever happening

• King Edward VIII abdicated throne in December 1936 to marry Wallis Simpson
  • Royal family members attempted to prevent the marriage from taking place
  • Seen in letters belonging to Edward's sister Princess Mary that were hidden in the basement at Harewood House, Leeds
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...top-Wallis-Simpson-Edward-VIIIs-marriage.html

I’m very late to seeing this, but what wonderful insight into Mary and the rest of the family’s feelings on the abdication and the family strain that followed.

Princess Mary received Freedom of City of Leeds in 1932.

Was Princess Mary, Viscountess Lascelles (eventually Countess of Harewood) really unhappy?

Was Princess Mary, Viscountess Lascelles (eventually Countess of Harewood) really unhappy?
One of her sons confirmed that the rumors of unhappiness were simply not true.

Princess Mary used to have lots of jewels, but overtime the jewels were sold, not only because of death duties, but sometimes for charity, for money for repairs at Harewood House, also because she simply didn’t see the need for some of the jewels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Via the Telegraph, Edward, Prince of Wales said, "Lascelles is too old for her and not attractive...But he's rich, and I'm afraid that is a very important thing for poor Mary."

Via the Telegraph, Edward, Prince of Wales said, "Lascelles is too old for her and not attractive...But he's rich, and I'm afraid that is a very important thing for poor Mary."

He wasn't exactly known for his tact. How lovely to sound like you don't care for whether she's happy or not (especially since she cared about you). :ermm:

He's making his princess sister sound like a gold-digger, rather than the simple reality she wouldn't have been allowed to marry anyone not of appropriate station and means.

Mary had a great marriage with someone she truly loved. It’s a bit rich for David to make such comments considering that he sometimes didn’t pay jewelers on time and had his rich friends pay his meals even though he had money of his own. I don’t think Princess Mary was much interested in money anyways.

He wasn't exactly known for his tact. How lovely to sound like you don't care for whether she's happy or not (especially since she cared about you). :ermm:

He's making his princess sister sound like a gold-digger, rather than the simple reality she wouldn't have been allowed to marry anyone not of appropriate station and means.
Mary loved Lascelles anyways and I think people dismissed her love for him because he wasn’t seen as attractive or a catch and the only thing attractive was his money and the wealth he inherited from the wealthy Marquess of Clanricarde.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Princess would not have been that badly stuck for money and really what an unkind thing to say about his sister.

I've never thought of the then Princess Royal as avaricious!

The Princess would not have been that badly stuck for money and really what an unkind thing to say about his sister.

I've never thought of the then Princess Royal as avaricious!

I honestly think David was trying to say "a very important thing for poor Mary" [because my parents won't let her marry anyone who hasn't got money].

— Was he known for being pretty tactless? Yes.
— Was he known for hurting his siblings pre-Wallis? No.
— Was Mary pretty much the only one who stuck with him even after the exile? Yes.

So I'd like to think this is not David intentionally insulting his sister in public as much as "no idea how badly-phrased this is".

I honestly think David was trying to say "a very important thing for poor Mary" [because my parents won't let her marry anyone who hasn't got money].

— Was he known for being pretty tactless? Yes.
— Was he known for hurting his siblings pre-Wallis? No.
— Was Mary pretty much the only one who stuck with him even after the exile? Yes.

So I'd like to think this is not David intentionally insulting his sister in public as much as "no idea how badly-phrased this is".
I don’t actually get your explanation because Mary was not forced to marry Lascelles regardless if did or didn’t have money. David IMO wasn’t the brightest tool in the shed at times.

I don’t actually get your explanation because Mary was not forced to marry Lascelles regardless if did or didn’t have money. David IMO wasn’t the brightest tool in the shed at times.

If not Lascelles, Mary would only have been permitted to marry someone who was equally wealthy. It's not that complicated. I don't believe I ever said David was anything to the contradictory.

I have read that in post War Britain George V was anxious that his daughter marry a wealthy man. Lascelles was a shooting pal of his and the family were very wealthy. David apparently believed that Mary was being forced into the marriage and so, unable to publicly take a potshot at his father, made that very tactless remark.

Incidentally there was apparently a rumour going round the London clubs at the time that the future bridegroom had proposed to Mary as a result of a bet laid at his club.

I do think that Mary was quite happy to marry Lascelles though and largely retire to a private life in the Yorkshire countryside. Her son said that his parents were very happy together and had a lot in common.

Here is the article (a piece by Hugo Vickers factchecking Downton Abbey) and its context for Prince Edward's remark:

In 1918, he [the Prince of Wales] told his mistress, Freda Dudley Ward, that Mary was risking “complete ruination” and he feared that no man would ever “see enough of her to fall in love with her and take her” – he was aware that George V, although by all accounts devoted to his only daughter, kept her on a tight leash.

The Prince wished she could be allowed to “dress decently and cultivate a proper chic straight figure…” In 1919, he fulminated against his father for “imprisoning her at court, not letting her lead a normal life and ruining her chances of getting married or even existing as a girl of 23 should do!”

The Prince tried hard to find her a husband, pressing Queen Mary to help him, but to no avail. There was a suggestion that the Princess might marry the Earl of Dalkeith, heir to the Duke of Buccleuch. Some say that he rushed into marriage with the highly promiscuous Mollie Lascelles in April 1921, in order to escape this prospect.

Instead, aged 25, she married Viscount Lascelles, heir to the Earl of Harewood, a rich Yorkshireman with a Distinguished Service Order, who, besides set to inherit the great treasures of Harewood House, had once spotted his eccentric great-uncle, the Marquess of Clanricarde, in the St James’s Club, spent half an hour with him, and as a result inherited his fortune in art and property (worth £2.5 million). Born in 1882, Lascelles was 15 years older than the Princess. Here too the rumours abound. It was suggested that he only married in order to win a bet.

Hearing of the engagement, the Prince of Wales said to Freda that he hoped it was not “too much arranged”, was glad his sister was finally to escape from the “Buckhouse prison”, and added: “Of course Lascelles is too old for her and not attractive… But he’s rich, and I’m afraid that is a very important thing for poor Mary. I hope to God he’ll make her happy.”

If one did not discuss personal matters with a mistress one would probably never tell the mistress anything, and that would largely defeat the point. The best ones are supposed to remain worthy confidantes and not repeat it — and I think Freda Dudley Ward was fairly discreet; that's why they were together so long.

David obviously cared what happened to Mary and felt her life was largely unfair, and he did hope she would be happy in the end. Otherwise he wouldn't have bothered saying anything at all to anyone — and he did get extremely callous and self-absorbed when he wanted to be. This wasn't one of those times.

If one did not discuss personal matters with a mistress one would probably never tell the mistress anything, and that would largely defeat the point. The best ones are supposed to remain worthy confidantes and not repeat it — and I think Freda Dudley Ward was fairly discreet; that's why they were together so long.

David obviously cared what happened to Mary and felt her life was largely unfair, and he did hope she would be happy in the end. Otherwise he wouldn't have bothered saying anything at all to anyone — and he did get extremely callous and self-absorbed when he wanted to be. This wasn't one of those times.
I wonder how Hugo Vickers even got this information. But How did his father ruin Mary’s chance of getting married? He was also over exaggerating some facts.

I wonder how Hugo Vickers even got this information. But How did his father ruin Mary’s chance of getting married? He was also over exaggerating some facts.

Probably from David's letters to Freda. There are a lot of them, some of which use language that isn't fit for this board and things phrased a lot less politely.

As he said, the Prince of Wales felt his father wasn't letting his sister socialize enough or dress stylishly and was hurting her chances to meet someone who would take an interest in her. (Or that she would even be interested in.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom