Lady Arabella Stuart (1575-1615)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mary stuart

Gentry
City
colchester
Country
United Kingdom
arbella stuart was the daughter of charles stuart and elizabeth cavendish Preview Page she was at one time heir to the english throne a political pawn and a woman who married for love and her grandmother was the formidable bess of hardwick countess of shewsbury:flowers:

arbella stuart was the daughter of charles stuart and elizabeth cavendish Preview Page she was at one time heir to the english throne a political pawn and a woman who married for love and her grandmother was the formidable bess of hardwick countess of shewsbury:flowers:
Great topic! I've always wanted to find out more about her.
Once I've read in a source that she had a child. I wonder if this could have been true.

sadly i dont think she did but she did marry william seymour duke of somerset whos grandmother was lady cathrine grey whos sister was lady jane grey and lady mary grey charles stuart mother was margreat douglas who was imprisond during henry 8th time for loving lord charles howard brother of queen cathrine howard and his brother was henry lord darnly :)

arbella stuart was an orphan at a early age her father died when she was baby her mother elizabeth died on the 21st january 1582 arbella was 6 yrs old

I read a book a few years ago called "Arbella, Englands lost queen". I can't remember the authors name but I am sure you will find it if you go to google. Her grandmother, Bess of Hardwick, ruled her with a rod of iron, and Arbella rebelled. I think she made a couple of attempts to get away. I also think that she was tipped to be the successor of Elizabeth1.

lady of hay the book arbella is by sarah gristwood its a great read and also why i opend this thred as she was contender for the thrones and she certainly did rebell agaist bess her grandmother who did seem a bit of marianet and queen elizabeth used her a politcal tool to keep james vi and 1st in check she did not have it easy and she may also opf had porphiria

when arbella was at the court of king james the vi she was queen annes carver which took a lot a of skill and knowing about diffrent bird to cut also arbella bought the cavendish family baronatage

In the autumn of 1575 Arabella was baptized in Edensor.
The custom of the time prescribed that those of high rank be christened, not in the private chapel of the family residence, but publicly.
Edensor was the nearest parish church to Chatsworth House.

Lady Arabella Stuart had been imprisoned for marrying Lord Beauchamp without the Kings approval,she was later rearrested and imprisoned in the Tower of London where she died.

Lady_Arabella_Stuart.jpg

Arabella did not inherit the jewels belonging to Lady Lennox upon the demise of Her Ladyship. The jewels ended up with King James VI of Scotland.

Did Lady Arabella Stuart aspire to the English throne?

As a great-great-granddaughter of King Henry VII of England she was in the English line of succession but I'm not sure what place she came!

:previous: Arabella was the daughter of Charles Stuart, Earl of Lennox, who was the younger brother of Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley.
Charles and Henry, through their mother, were the grandsons of Margaret, the eldest sister of King Henry VIII, by her second spouse, Archibald Douglas, Earl of Angus.
Arabella stood in line of succession to the English throne next to her first cousin, King James VI of Scotland.

:previous: Arabella was the daughter of Charles Stuart, Earl of Lennox, who was the younger brother of Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley.
Charles and Henry, through their mother, were the grandsons of Margaret, the eldest sister of King Henry VIII, by her second spouse, Archibald Douglas, Earl of Angus.
Arabella stood in line of succession to the English throne next to her first cousin, King James VI of Scotland.

And sadly ended her days imprisoned in the Tower of London.

If Arabella Stuart had succeeded Queen Elizabeth I, would the union of England and Scotland have taken place?

What a sad childhood and life Lady Arbella Stuart had!

Her father, Charles Stuart, 5th Earl of Lennox died when she was aged 1n 1576
Her paternal grandmother, Lady Margaret Douglas, Dowager Countess of Lennox died in 1578.
Her mother ,Elizabeth ,Dowager Countess of Lennox died in 1582.

Back
Top Bottom