King George V (1865-1936)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elenaris

Aristocracy
1,2,3. Princess Mary the Princess Royal (1897 - 1965), Prince Edward (1894 - 1972); (bottom, left to right) Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (1900 - 1974), Prince George, Duke of Kent (1902 - 1942), Prince John (1905 - 1919) and Prince Albert, Duke of York (1895 - 1952).
4. George and John
5. George and Albert
6.Queen Alexandra and Grand children (royal children + with Alexandra and Maud of Fife)
7 Queen Mary, George, and Albert & Elizabeth.

Attachments

• Bay.jpg
    Bay.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 896
  • ds;nc.jpg
    ds;nc.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 975
  • Gierge and John.jpg
    Gierge and John.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 899
  • EDW and Gorge an.jpg
    EDW and Gorge an.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 889
  • QAKL with gd children.jpg
    QAKL with gd children.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 993
  • R fam.jpg
    R fam.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,045
  • british.jpg
    british.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,125
More

Princess Mary the Princess Royal (1897 - 1965), Prince Edward (1894 - 1972); (Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (1900 - 1974), Prince George, Duke of Kent (1902 - 1942), Prince John (1905 - 1919) and Prince Albert, Duke of York (1895 - 1952).

Attachments

• RCHILFRED.jpg
    RCHILFRED.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 724
  • Withy q Vic.jpg
    Withy q Vic.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 827
  • rF.jpg
    rF.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 757
  • RIOY FAM.jpg
    RIOY FAM.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 988
  • reg.jpg
    reg.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 4,414
  • RCHIL.jpg
    RCHIL.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 785
  • RCH.jpg
    RCH.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 850
Coronation & Regalia

1. In their coronation robes 1911
2. Third opening of parliament
3. The dress Queen Mary wore for Edward VII's coronation in 1902
4. Queen Mary at the coronation of King George VI
5. Portrait of Queen Mary of Teck (1867-1953) and George V (1865-1936) of England in full regalia.
6. Queen Mary, wife of King George V, wears the Order of the Garter
7. The state opening of Parliament. Photo shows the King and Queen in the state coach returning to Buckingham Palace.
8. King George V and Queen Mary as rulers of the British Empire.

King Gerorge V

1. King George V
2. King George V 1925
3. The King At The Microphone - Christmas Broadcast at Sandringham, 1934.
4. King George V after his Empire Jubilee Year celebrating 25 years
5. A portrait of George V of Great Britain and Nicholas II of Russia. The two were cousins, and looked a great deal similar. Berlin, 1913.
6. In Naval Uniform
7. Three generations of British Royalty: George V (1865-1936), Edward VII (1841-1910) and Edward VIII, Duke of Windsor (1894-1972). Photograph ca. 1906.
8. Four generations of royalty: Queen Victoria, George V, Edward VIII.

1clearpx.gif
1clearpx.gif

King Geroge V funeral

1. The coffin of the late King George V is carried into the chapel at Windsor for his funeral.
2. The Funeral Procession Of the Late King George V In London 1936
3. The new King Edward VIII of England takes part in the funeral procession of his late father King George V of England, accompanied by his brothers the Duke of York (on the left) and the Duke of Gloucester (on the right). January 1936.
4. The funeral procession through London
5. Men at work in the British Legion Poppy Factory at Richmond on wreaths for the Armed Forces to pay tribute to the late King, George V.
6. George V Lying In State.

1clearpx.gif

Does anyone know what kind of relationship King George V & Queen Mary had with Queen Elizabeth & princess Margaret?

Very Close

lashinka2002 said:
Does anyone know what kind of relationship King George V & Queen Mary had with Queen Elizabeth & princess Margaret?
They had a very close relationship, especially between Queen Mary and Princess Elizabeth. It's as if the King and Queen knew there would be trouble with the Prince of Wales and were making sure that Elizabeth would be prepared for whatever happened.

I read (can't remember where) that King George was very partial to Princess Elizabeth. It seemed as though he treated his Lascelles grandsons nearly as strictly as he'd treated his own sons when they were children, but he was far more relaxed with Princess Elizabeth. Princess Margaret was only about five when he died, so he wouldn't have related to her at all except as a young child.

Queen Mary, as Warren said, took a lot of interest in Princess Elizabeth's education and development; biographies have said that she was surprisingly indulgent of Princess Margaret because Princess Margaret knew how to be funny and daring and also probably because, as the younger daughter, she didn't have as much importance in the royal scheme of things. Goodness only knows what Queen Mary would have made of the Townsend affair, though. Something tells me the indulgent granny would not have been in evidence.

Elspeth said:
I read (can't remember where) that King George was very partial to Princess Elizabeth. It seemed as though he treated his Lascelles grandsons nearly as strictly as he'd treated his own sons when they were children, but he was far more relaxed with Princess Elizabeth. Princess Margaret was only about five when he died, so he wouldn't have related to her at all except as a young child.

Queen Mary, as Warren said, took a lot of interest in Princess Elizabeth's education and development; biographies have said that she was surprisingly indulgent of Princess Margaret because Princess Margaret knew how to be funny and daring and also probably because, as the younger daughter, she didn't have as much importance in the royal scheme of things. Goodness only knows what Queen Mary would have made of the Townsend affair, though. Something tells me the indulgent granny would not have been in evidence.

How nice to know that there was a sweet relationship between the grandparents & the princess'. I read that King George was very pleased with Bertie (King George VI) & Elizabeth's match. He apparently had a soft spot for her. he was quoted saying something along the lines of "You would be a lucky man if she had you" to Bertie. This could also explain the sweet indulgence.

What a lovely picture Squidgy.
I do see a nice family resemblance between the two.
Thank you.

1901 Mary Teck and George made a Trip to Australia:

1.+2. 1901 - 9 May - Mary and George V in Melbourne
3.+4. 1901 - George V and Mary Teck

Attachments

• 1901 - 9 Mai - Mary mit George v 1.jpg
    1901 - 9 Mai - Mary mit George v 1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 2,570
  • 1901 - 9 Mai - Mary mit George V in Melbourne 1.jpg
    1901 - 9 Mai - Mary mit George V in Melbourne 1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 2,221
  • 1901 - George V - 3.jpg
    1901 - George V - 3.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2,653
  • 1901 - Mary teck 6.jpg
    1901 - Mary teck 6.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,947
Toria.

I read Georgy was so close to his sis Toria, that when she died in 1935, he knew he was gonna die, too, in fact he died in Jan 1936, but David, his son , called his aunt- a b... of the first order- it seems she was sharp- tongued, very mean and bitter. No wonder , after what her mum did to her.

Last edited:
emily62_1 said:
I read Georgy was so close to his sis Toria, that when she died in 1935, he knew he was gonna die, too, in fact he died in Jan 1936, but David, his son , called his aunt- a b... of the first order- it seems she was sharp- tongued, very mean and bitter. No wonder , after what her mum did to her.

Yes, you would be bitter too if your Mother forced you to be her companion spinster daughter!!

Yes - being a princess hasn't really been that great a proposition until recently. They got married off to some foreign stranger for political reasons and had to go and live abroad or had to stay at home and become Mama's lady in waiting.

tiaraprin said:
Yes, you would be bitter too if your Mother forced you to be her companion spinster daughter!!

sure, that was so selfish of Queen Alix, she chose Toria, who, though not being beautiful at all, she had many chances of starting a family of her own, as she was 1 of the Wales Princesses, it was very cruel of Queen Alexandra not to let marry any1, she usually pretended to agree over a proposal to Toria, then used to deny it all using her deafness as an explanation.....

emily62_1 said:
sure, that was so selfish of Queen Alix, she chose Toria, who, though not being beautiful at all, she had many chances of starting a family of her own, as she was 1 of the Wales Princesses, it was very cruel of Queen Alexandra not to let marry any1, she usually pretended to agree over a proposal to Toria, then used to deny it all using her deafness as an explanation.....

You are exactly correct. I think Toria was actually in love at one point and wanted to marry but Queen Alexandra made sure that never happened. It is truly sad. At least Beatrice got married (albeit she still had to stay with Mama)!!!

tiaraprin said:
You are exactly correct. I think Toria was actually in love at one point and wanted to marry but Queen Alexandra made sure that never happened. It is truly sad. At least Beatrice got married (albeit she still had to stay with Mama)!!!

indeed, her hubby, Liko, was so bored that he joined the British army in africa and died of a fever ! Mary, the Princess Royal was lucky her mum, Queen Mary, let her get married at all -

tiaraprin said:
I've never heard that Princess Victoria had a chance to marry someone. Who was her suitor?

Toria

Mapple said:
I've never heard that Princess Victoria had a chance to marry someone. Who was her suitor?

I think it was Lord Roseberry , I'll check out if that's really the name, who used to live in Napoli, Italy- when she and her family came to Napoli, they were guest of Lord Roseberry , Toria fell in love with him, Q Alexandra was so opposive , in the end he left the town, so mysteriously, and got back only when the royal yacht had left Napoli's bay, his Palace is still here, QEII resided there, back in 1965.

Last edited:
I mentioned earlier that King George V was poisoned by his doctor when the King was dying. Here is a link to an article in the BMJ that details the circumstances of the King's death.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/308/6941/1445

I am a doctor myself, and I find the actions of Lord Dawson abhorrent. The King was comatose, and the doctor did not relieve him of suffering--he merely ensured the time of death, making the life of King George V depending on the time of starting the printing presses.

Mapple said:
I mentioned earlier that King George V was poisoned by his doctor when the King was dying. Here is a link to an article in the BMJ that details the circumstances of the King's death.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/308/6941/1445

I am a doctor myself, and I find the actions of Lord Dawson abhorrent. The King was comatose, and the doctor did not relieve him of suffering--he merely ensured the time of death, making the life of King George V depending on the time of starting the printing presses.

You are quite right on this. It was desirable for the King to die before midnight so it could be reported by the "reputable" newspapers of the day. This was thought befitting His Majesty's status.

Personally, I feel injecting the equivalent of what is known as a "Speedball" here in America is quite disgusting and done for the wrong reason. He was not euthanized to spare him pain. He was euthanized to spare the Crown of having HM's death reported by lesser newspapers!!

Does anyone have an English text of John Betjeman's elegy on the death of King George V? I have read a Russian translation of it.

Bio

Can anyone recommend a good biography on King George V? I've always been interested in him, but have never found a good bio. Let me know!

btsnyder said:
Can anyone recommend a good biography on King George V? I've always been interested in him, but have never found a good bio. Let me know!

King George V by Kenneth Rose (1983), a well-researched and very detailed book.

That's the official biography, isn't it? If it's out of print, it's quite easy to get hold of second-hand over the internet; that's how I got my copy.

Elspeth said:
That's the official biography, isn't it? If it's out of print, it's quite easy to get hold of second-hand over the internet; that's how I got my copy.

Harold Nicholson wrote the authorized bio, "King George The Fifth: His Life and Reign".l

The Kenneth Rose book King George V is a good biography and as official as you can get, but it is sadly lacking in covering George's life before he became King in 1910.

Last edited:
He was such an interesting man Ive read he was close to his cousin the Tsar (Who looked alot like him) was he Godfather to any of Nicholas Offspring also how were they alike and how were they different

Queen Mary allowed George V to be euthanised.

A king, a doctor, and a convenient death -- Ramsay 308 (6941): 1445 -- BMJ

It is reprehensible, but Queen Mary approved of it so he did it.

lilibet80: I know of no documented evidence that Queen Mary approved of the euthanasia of her husband King George V by his doctor Lord Dawson. I do not think she was aware of this action nor do I think she would have sanctioned it. Lord Dawson indicated that he acted alone in this decision.

Would you please provide any information you have on this matter?

Thank you.

George V was a canny politician who was misunderstood - Telegraph

King George V has had a pretty poor press. The best that can be said for him, it seems, was that he enjoyed collecting stamps. He is remembered to have spent most of his time out shooting – quite an achievement, given the season lasts at its greatest stretch only just over five months. He is known to have been a martinet to his children and believed to have begun the dysfunctionality of his family. A caricature portrait of him in a television documentary a few years ago showed him behaving with casual disregard towards his youngest son, an epileptic who died at the age of 14 and whom the King, it is alleged, more or less had written out of history. He is also believed to have been boorishly thick. I have long felt, from having read a little history, that this portrait was inaccurate, and my documentary, Good King George, about the King on Radio 4 seeks to give a more balanced view of him.

Back
Top Bottom