King George IV (1762-1830)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiaraprin

Royal Highness
City
Near NY City
Country
United States
George IV (1762-1830)

Before the collapse of the marriage of Charles and Diana, there was another feuding Prince and Princess of Wales--George and Caroline of Brunswick. Their ill-fated marriage, separation, fights, and media ploys (even back then) can make Charles and Diana's marriage look somewhat sane!!

Let's take a trip back in history to these feuding Wales'. There is plenty of material to read and see. What are your opinions on George and Caroline??

Coronation Ban

tiaraprin said:
Before the collapse of the marriage of Charles and Diana, there was another feuding Prince and Princess of Wales--George and Caroline of Brunswick. Their ill-fated marriage, separation, fights, and media ploys (even back then) can make Charles and Diana's marriage look somewhat sane!!
Let's take a trip back in history to these feuding Wales'. There is plenty of material to read and see. What are your opinions on George and Caroline??
Well, there's the great story of George's coronation where he made the most elaborate (almost "Imperial") arrangements, only for Queen Caroline. who wasn't invited (!!) to try and gatecrash. But she wasn't allowed into the Abbey. Very embarassing for all concerned, and for poor Caroline, downhill from there.

Recommended book: "The Unruly Queen - The Life of Queen Caroline" by Flora Fraser, 1996.

Warren said:
Well, there's the great story of George's coronation where he made the most elaborate (almost "Imperial") arrangements, only for Queen Caroline. who wasn't invited (!!) to try and gatecrash. But she wasn't allowed into the Abbey. Very embarassing for all concerned, and for poor Caroline, downhill from there.

Recommended book: "The Unruly Queen - The Life of Queen Caroline" by Flora Fraser, 1996.

Yes, she was barred from Westminster Abbey at many entrances such as Poet's Corner. She was a broken woman after this and died just a few weeks later.

On her tombstone it has the inscription "Caroline, the Injured Queen of England"

The tabloids would have loved it.

It's also interesting that George was encouraged by his mistress to marry Caroline rather than another possible princess because the mistress thought that Caroline would pose less of a threat to her than the other princess would have. In that case, George was annoyed enough by the fiasco of his marriage that he ended up ditching the mistress, unlike Charles and Camilla.

Elspeth said:
The tabloids would have loved it.

It's also interesting that George was encouraged by his mistress to marry Caroline rather than another possible princess because the mistress thought that Caroline would pose less of a threat to her than the other princess would have. In that case, George was annoyed enough by the fiasco of his marriage that he ended up ditching the mistress, unlike Charles and Camilla.

Yes Lady Jersey, then George's mistress, picked out Caroline and coached Caroline to do everything George would hate to insure her position. Lady Jersey picked horrid clothes, hair designs, etc., all calculated to keep the Prince in her pocket. Lady Jersey was much older than the Prince and feared her attraction was slipping now that she was a grandmother in her 40's.

Even back then, the public sided with the woman in this nasty feud. It wasn't so much that the British public loved Caroline (who had many nasty faults) but they detested George. This exchange from Blackadder the Third sums it up:

Blackadder: ...They're going to bankrupt you.

George: Well, they can't do that. Why, the public love me! Only the other day, I
was out in the street and they sang, `We hail Prince George! We hail Prince
George!'

Blackadder: `We *hate* Prince George', sir. `We *hate* Prince George!'

Portrait of their Wedding

http://www.georgianindex.net/princewaleswedding/Prince_Wales_wedding.html

pwedding.jpg

Worthy of note:

At the wedding, George was quite drunk. He couldn't fufill his marital duties that night and fell out of the bed onto a grate. Caroline said that is where she left him!!

He managed somehow within the next 2 days because their only child, Charlotte was born exactly nine months later!

Here is a potrait of Caroline of Brunswick:
http://www.answers.com/topic/caroline-of-brunswick

Caroline has been spoken of being quite unattractive and unhygienic. This portrait of her seems pleasant enough. Did the artist flatter her, or were all these damaging reports as to her looks and hygiene true?? What say you?

It wasn't just George who complained of her hygiene, so the chances are that the portrait painter was taking a few liberties. As far as her being unattractive, that may be in the eyes of the beholder. Like another couple of Princes of Wales I could mention, George seemed to prefer older women.

But for the fact that he was Prince of Wales, George was no prize himself! Going in drunk to his new bride....

And I'm not even sure that being Prince of Wales made up for his shortcomings.

(And to be fair to Camilla, she's what, just about 1 1/2 years older than Charles? I just found out I'm a very distant cousin to Camilla, so I have to stick up for her, just the teensiest bit.)

Related to Camilla?

iowabelle said:
But for the fact that he was Prince of Wales, George was no prize himself! Going in drunk to his new bride....

And I'm not even sure that being Prince of Wales made up for his shortcomings.

(And to be fair to Camilla, she's what, just about 1 1/2 years older than Charles? I just found out I'm a very distant cousin to Camilla, so I have to stick up for her, just the teensiest bit.)

How did you discover you were related to Camilla?? I wouldn't be pleased if I was related to her!!!:rolleyes: :eek: I wouldn't even acknowledge the fact!!:eek:

Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales

Here are two engravings of Princess Charlotte of Wales. One is of her on her wedding day to Queen Victoria's beloved Uncle Leopold of Saxe-Gotha and the other is a sole portrait of her in 1816.

Charlotte was the only child of George IV and Caroline of Brunswick. Charlotte had a turbulent childhood due to her parents' troubled marriage and their exploits. Charlotte had finally found hapiness with Prince Leopold only to die in childbirth of a stillborn son in 1817. If Charlotte had lived, Queen Victoria would never have born.

I wonder what kind of queen Charlotte would have been?

http://locutus.ucr.edu/~cathy/char/char1.html

char1.jpeg

http://locutus.ucr.edu/~cathy/char/char2.html

char2.gif

lashinka2002 said:
I wonder what Princess Charlotte thought of her father's treatment of her mother.

From what I have read, she wasn't happy and torn most of the time. Queen Charlotte tried to keep her from her mother and her father eventually got custody with very little visitation by Caroline. Before she met Leopold, George IV tried to force Charlotte to marry the Prince of Orange. Charlotte ran away to her mother's house for refuge and to show how distasteful the idea was to her. Charlotte was quite independent-minded for her day and she was determined to have a say in who her husband was.

lashinka2002 said:
I wonder what Princess Charlotte thought of her father's treatment of her mother.

One of the original dysfunctional families, don't you think?

iowabelle said:
One of the original dysfunctional families, don't you think?

There was dysfunction long before this. Go Back to Henry II's reign with his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine. That was a dysfunctional marriage that produced children who all wanted their father's crown. Eleanor wanted revenge for Henry's affair with Rosamund Clifford. This was truly a violent, dysfunctional family during the Plantagenet saga.

Caroline of Brunswick and Her Wayward Hanover

I read somewhere that he did not like her body odor. That must have been something back then!:lol:

tiaraprin said:
There was dysfunction long before this. Go Back to Henry II's reign with his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine. That was a dysfunctional marriage that produced children who all wanted their father's crown. Eleanor wanted revenge for Henry's affair with Rosamund Clifford. This was truly a violent, dysfunctional family during the Plantagenet saga.

The film "The Lion in Winter" did an interesting job of portraying the dysfunctional Plantagenets, with Peter O'Toole as Henry and Katherine Hepburn as Eleanor. Choice line from Eleanor: "This is 1183 and we are barbarians!"

gogm said:
I read somewhere that he did not like her body odor. That must have been something back then!:lol:

I have heard that there was very, very little about her that WAS likeable!:lol: She apparantly had awful hygene (one book I read said that it bordered on barbaric), horrendous manners and was just plain ugly. He was so upset that he got terribly drunk, but he managed to perform his, um, "duties" because Charlotte was born. After that first night, she didn't sleep with him in the same bed again, and she didn't have many nights under his roof after Charlotte's birth.

I would imagine that a good majority of people back then would have bad body odor. But she was the Princess of Wales and eventually Queen one would think she would have baths often.

Apparently George IV was unusually fastidious for the time, and Caroline was unusually casual about personal hygiene. Not a good combination.

George IV

Elspeth said:
Apparently George IV was unusually fastidious for the time, and Caroline was unusually casual about personal hygiene. Not a good combination.
George IV did have Beau Brummel as a fashion advisor so he apparently was fastidious.

The picture in the Wikipedia article makes her look very attractive (painters can flatter out of all proportions). But the picture isn't "smellivision.":eek:

According to the book I've read about Royal Scandals, before their wedding, British envoy sent to Germany to bring Caroline to England persuaded her to wash herself and her underwear before they left..but I really feel sorry for Princess Caroline the way Prince George treated her

Last edited:
Well much of England was at her side due to the treatment done to her by her husband. Very interesting story by the way. I think George actually became this way due to the fact that he lost his true love for the crown of England.

Yes, she was barred from Westminster Abbey at many entrances such as Poet's Corner. She was a broken woman after this and died just a few weeks later.

On her tombstone it has the inscription "Caroline, the Injured Queen of England"

I wonder who had that inscribed on her stone??
Where is she buried ,does anyone know?
Thanks

How Sad. George seems Arrogant was he or just very shy and aloof

Back
Top Bottom