King George IV (1762-1830)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's understandable I suppose after her unhappy experiences in England.

And I can imagine her husband was rather pleased with that wish and spared him having to grant her a queens burial in the UK.

And I can imagine her husband was rather pleased with that wish and spared him having to grant her a queens burial in the UK.

Very relieved indeed I would imagine. The government were probably happy as well. The years after 1815 were a time of political & social agitation in various parts of Britain. Peterloo for instance. A large scale funeral possibly attracting large anti-monarchy crowds was the last thing they would have wanted.

Thank you for finding that! She must be one of the few consorts not buried in Britain I suppose.

Yes I was thinking the same thing

Matilda of Flanders is buried at l'Abbaye aux Dames Caen.
Adeliza of Louvain was buried at Affligem Abbey in Brabant
Eleanor of Aquitaine was buried at Fontevraud Abbey in Anjou
Berengaria of Navarre is buried at L'Épau Abbey, Le Mans
Isabelle d'Angoulême was buried at Fontevraud Abbey in Anjou
Isabella of France was buried at the now destroyed Couvent des Célestins in Paris.
Margaret d'Anjou was buried at Angers Cathedral in Anjou
Henrietta Marie de France was buried at St Denis Abbey near Paris
Catherine of Braganza is buried at the Pantheon of the House of Braganza,Lisbon.
Maria of Modena was buried at the now destroyed Couvent de Visitandines , Chaillot near Paris.

Yes I was thinking the same thing

Matilda of Flanders is buried at l'Abbaye aux Dames Caen.
Adeliza of Louvain was buried at Affligem Abbey in Brabant
Eleanor of Aquitaine was buried at Fontevraud Abbey in Anjou
Berengaria of Navarre is buried at L'Épau Abbey, Le Mans
Isabelle d'Angoulême was buried at Fontevraud Abbey in Anjou
Isabella of France was buried at the now destroyed Couvent des Célestins in Paris.
Margaret d'Anjou was buried at Angers Cathedral in Anjou
Henrietta Marie de France was buried at St Denis Abbey near Paris
Catherine of Braganza is buried at the Pantheon of the House of Braganza,Lisbon.
Maria of Modena was buried at the now destroyed Couvent de Visitandines , Chaillot near Paris.

The last three were Stuarts I see. Maria of Modena went into exile with her husband so it's not surprising that she's buried in France.

Isabelle of Angouleme remarried after John's death. To her daughter's fiancé! Adeliza of Louvain also remarried. Margaret of Anjou, Isabelle of France, Mary Beatrice and Henrietta Maria were all the wives of kings who'd been overthrown/executed ... in Isabelle's case, largely by herself! 3 of the first 4 were buried in other parts of the Angevin Empire. Catherine of Braganza's the one you'd think *would* have been buried here but isn't.

Isabelle of Angouleme remarried after John's death. To her daughter's fiancé! Adeliza of Louvain also remarried. Margaret of Anjou, Isabelle of France, Mary Beatrice and Henrietta Maria were all the wives of kings who'd been overthrown/executed ... in Isabelle's case, largely by herself! 3 of the first 4 were buried in other parts of the Angevin Empire. Catherine of Braganza's the one you'd think *would* have been buried here but isn't.

Yes I've just read up about her. I wasn't aware that she'd returned to Portugal but considering the religious atmosphere of the time it's not surprising.

I know it's slightly off topic but the BBC series on English queens was very interesting. It included Eleanor of Aqutiane, Isabelle of France & Margaret of Anjou.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01db7z8/episodes/guide

It's a shame it's not available atm on the iplayer.

Last edited:
Sadly most of the English queens buried France had their remains either desecrated by rampaging Huguenots in the 16th Century or by mobs of sans-culottes during the mid 1790's at the height of the Terror.

The Abbaye aux Dames was pillaged and desecrated by Huguenots in 1562 ,some of the bones were salvaged by monks and secretly reburied and hidden and escaped the Revolution.

Eleanor and Isabelle's burials at Fontevraud Abbey in Anjou were lost with all the others in January 1793 when san culottes broke open the vaults pillaged the burials and presumably dumped the remains.
The sarcophagi were salvaged.

The same also happened with the burials of Margaret of Anjou, Henrietta Marie de France and Maria of Modena all were destroyed in 1793.

King George IV commissioned architect John Nash to redesign portions of the city of London to look more imperial. These areas included Regent's Park and Regent Street.

This explains about the obstacles that George IV had to endure to try to divorce Princess Caroline
Divorcing a Queen: George vs. Caroline

I think he must hold the record for most recent absolute burn of a monarch (deposings and such not counted). When The Times is dragging you for an obituary, you know you were not well-liked.

Prince George (King George IV) married Maria Fitzherbert when he was 23.
He called her "the wife of my heart and soul". She made him cut down on his drinking.

Maria Fitzherbert could never be queen or a member of the BRF as she was a commoner and a Roman Catholic.

Her nephew was Cardinal Thomas Weld and the family were the Roman Catholic branch of the Stanley family.

Cardinal Weld (1773-1837)
363px-Cardinal_Thomas_Weld_%281773-1837%29%2C_by_Andrew_Geddes.jpg

She was not married legally to George. They went through an illegal marraige

The Vicar who performed the Invalid Wedding Ceremony was Reverend Robert Burt and he had been in the Fleet Prison due to debts,his was released and his debts paid off!
The Rev Burt was based at St Mary the Virgin, Twickenham and died in 1791.

Prince George (King George IV) would not even let his wife Princess Caroline go on a trip without his permission.

Back
Top Bottom