The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Majesty

Yes, thousands were rounded up and sent to concentration camps on mere suspicion. Both Von Stauffenberg brothers were involved in the plot and were murdered. All less than twelve months before Hitler took his own life and the war in Europe ended. Dreadful.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, thousands were rounded up and sent to concentration camps on mere suspicion. Both Von Stauffenberg brothers were involved in the plot and were murdered. All less than twelve months before Hitler took his own life and the war in Europe ended. Dreadful.
I thnk all 4 brothers were involved but Claus was of course the leader and was shot immediately after the coup failed. I wonder what Victoria and Edward would have made of Hitler and also would they have been proud of the Germans who did make the attempt to get rid of him...

Old 05-04-2019, 11:26 PM
Majesty

I think Claus's brother Bertrand (Berthold?) was most deeply involved, wasn't he? It's been a long time since I read about the July Plot, but I think one of the brothers was hanged with others by that awful piano wire thing that Hitler ordered, while Claus was shot.

I can imagine that both Victoria and Edward would be deeply shocked by Hitler and the Nazis. Victoria would have dislike the anti-religious nature of the regime. Edward certainly had no truck with anti-Semitism and had many Jewish friends in Society. Didn't Tsar Nicholas complain once on a visit to England that Edward was surrounded by (Jewish) 'horse traders' and that made him uneasy? The Rothschilds had horse racing interests, and were great friends of Edward's.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think Claus's brother Bertrand (Berthold?) was most deeply involved, wasn't he? It's been a long time since I read about the July Plot, but I think one of the brothers was hanged with others by that awful piano wire thing that Hitler ordered, while Claus was shot.

I can imagine that both Victoria and Edward would be deeply shocked by Hitler and the Nazis. Victoria would have dislike the anti-religious nature of the regime. Edward certainly had no truck with anti-Semitism and had many Jewish friends in Society. Didn't Tsar Nicholas complain once on a visit to England that Edward was surrounded by (Jewish) 'horse traders' and that made him uneasy? The Rothschilds had horse racing interests, and were great friends of Edward's.
Yes berthold was "half hanged" on chicken wire and probably suffered horrendously. Claus was at least shot, quickly. Alexander the 3rd brother survived.. He was not really involved in the PLot because he had a partly Jewish wife.. so the brothers didn't want him involved.
I think that Victoria wasn't anti semitic.. she was great friends with Disraeli and didn't see him as Jewish because he had been brought up as Christian whereas Nazi Anti Semitism was racial. Anti Semitism in England was more "genteel" and a bit complex.. in that upper class Jews were often part of Society but still they were seen as somewhat alien.. by many.. and not fully accepted. Jews were still often seen as "money loving" or vulgar or odd in some way, even when they were formally accepted.
I think Edward was not like that.. if people were "good enough" for him to like and befriend them.. they were acceptable at his table and he didn't have any reservations. But some thought that his frendships with Jews was a sign that HE was money grubbing and vulgar...
I think that Ed and Victoria would have been horrified by how deeply anti semitic and "hating" German society had become in the post war years. Wihelm had been somewhat anti semtiics but had tolerated Jews because they were "good with money" and useful...
Old 05-20-2019, 05:47 PM
Courtier

I have begun reading "Queen Victoria's Children" by Van der Kiste. It mentions that at age 17, the future King Edward VII received an allowance of 500 pounds for clothing. Is there anywhere online that tells how much that is in current pounds? These little details interest me. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I have begun reading "Queen Victoria's Children" by Van der Kiste. It mentions that at age 17, the future King Edward VII received an allowance of 500 pounds for clothing. Is there anywhere online that tells how much that is in current pounds? These little details interest me. Thanks.
There are inflation calculators online which give you a general sense of what the equivalent would be today.

Edward was 17 in 1858

£500 in 1858 → 2017 | UK Inflation Calculator
Old 05-22-2019, 03:17 AM
Majesty

500 is a very large sum of money for a youth to spend on his clothes anyway, though no doubt Edward's bills were paid by his Governor to prevent extravagance. Many middleclass men with families would be earning less than 500 per annum, let alone working class men whose earning capacity per year would be about a quarter of that.

Relative Value of Sums of Money
Old 05-24-2019, 05:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
500 is a very large sum of money for a youth to spend on his clothes anyway, though no doubt Edward's bills were paid by his Governor to prevent extravagance. Many middleclass men with families would be earning less than 500 per annum, let alone working class men whose earning capacity per year would be about a quarter of that.

Relative Value of Sums of Money
By royal standards, I don't think that 500 a year clothing allowance would be all that large a sum...
Old 05-25-2019, 12:39 AM
Majesty

^ Probably not. However it's a bit surprising, considering Prince Albert's constant homilies on 'fripperies', 'needless extravagance' etc. Unless he wished his son to get used to good tailoring and fashion. In which case the lesson 'took', as Bertie remained deeply interested in clothes all his life.

Where was a 17 year old supposed to go to wear all this new clothing? At 17 Bertie was still tucked away with tutors; university, tours, Royal engagements, were still some years away.

And I think that Prince Albert was blessed in that he had no tabloid press to deal with. Except for certain radical journals most Press was deferential. I can just imagine a DF in 1858 having fun comparing the 500 to the yearly income of a curate or clerk with four children, school teacher with large family, agricultural labourer etc!

Should William as Prince of Wales gift the schoolboy Prince George with a 60,000 clothing allowance when he reaches 17 and the news leaks out I can imagine the tabloids having something to say!
Old 05-25-2019, 04:12 AM
Heir Apparent

It was a different world. Bertie or his advisers probably bought the best of clothes... and ti was accepted by most of the public that the POW would be surrounded by wealth and luxury, which the poor and middle class could not aspire to.
And Prince Albert's attitude to Bertie did NOT make him into a Mini Albert, did it? Albert told him off over being idle, frivolous extravagant not interested in serious things, etc.. and Bertie basically remained like that most of his life... Albert almost literaly killed himself with getting upset over Bertie's first affair... and Bertie had hundreds of women. He was annoyed that even "when shooting B was more interested in his trousers than in the shooting" and Bertie indeed did love clothes and was obsessed by them... He was annoyed that B was not much of a reader.. and Bertie remained not much of a reader!
Old 08-09-2019, 11:26 AM
Serene Highness

Today in Royal History is the 117th Anniversary of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra's Coronation as king and queen of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions, took place at Westminster Abbey, London, on 9 August 1902.

The Royal Fly️
Old 08-12-2019, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Edward VII's coronation had to be postponed when he needed emergency surgery for acute appendicitis. Edward had the operation. The original coronation had been planned for June 26, 1902.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Edward VII's coronation had to be postponed when he needed emergency surgery for acute appendicitis. Edward had the operation. The original coronation had been planned for June 26, 1902.
At first the King said the coronation would go on as planned "even if he died in the Abbey." His doctors told him that was exactly what would happen. He postponed the coronation.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
At first the King said the coronation would go on as planned "even if he died in the Abbey." His doctors told him that was exactly what would happen. He postponed the coronation.
Thank goodness Edward had the operation. Whoever heard of a newly crowned sovereign deceased immediately during his coronation?
Old 08-14-2019, 07:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Odds were that he would have collapsed before he got to the Abbey.. But having an appendectomy was a much more serous business back then.. it wasn't done in Hosptial. Anastethtics were more dangerous, and Edward was old and very fat...
Old 08-14-2019, 07:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Odds were that he would have collapsed before he got to the Abbey.. But having an appendectomy was a much more serous business back then.. it wasn't done in Hosptial. Anastethtics were more dangerous, and Edward was old and very fat...
Lucky for Prince Philip the delay gave Andreas of Greece and Alice of Battenberg time to fall in love and later get married.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Lucky for Prince Philip the delay gave Andreas of Greece and Alice of Battenberg time to fall in love and later get married.
Which proves that there's a meaning behind everything.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

During the First World War, Queen Alexandra begged King George V to remove Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany's honorary flags from the chapel of St. George's at Windsor.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

The first royal tour photographs of the future King Edward to Middle East

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ur-photographs

Tags
biography, british history, edward vii, hesse-cassel, pictures, prince of wales, princess of wales, queen alexandra, queen consort, queen victoria, queen victoria's children, saxe-coburg-gotha