King Edward VII (1841-1910) and Queen Alexandra (1844-1925)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: We must agree to differ. You and iluvbertie are certainly entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mine:flowers:

Just because you are achieving 3/4ths of what a husband is supposed to it doesn't excuse you for not doing the the 1/4th. That's just an example of numbers. Yes, Bertie defended Alex to his mother, his siblings, nieces/nephews, etc but he was unfaithful. Notoriously so IMO.

I would rather have a good husband who isn't perfect in all respects except fidelity rather than a husband who is great in everything but fidelity. If that makes sense.

Also, in reference to the scandals,...I was referring to the scandal regarding Daisy Greville, Countess of Warwick (I would consider that a scandal as the Prime Minister had to get involved) as well as the Harriet case. The other scandal was the Royal Bacarrat scandal.

My dear Zonk,

Agreeing to disagree is what makes the world go round. I certainly agree with your assessment about Edward's merit as a husband but the times were different back then. I am sure Alexandra would have wanted him to act differently but from what I've read (so far), it looks like she loved him, or at least was very fond of her husband.

No, the world was definitely very different back then especially as it pertains to royal or aristrocratic marriages. Certainly people expected Diana to just accept the fact that Charles would and could be unfaithful. So it looks like the mindset remains for some. To me trust and fidelity go hand in hand and its a big thing. If you don't have trust......the rest of it (love, companionship, friendship, etc.) doesn't mean much.

I think Alexandra certainly did love Edward. Didn't she keep his body undisturbed in his bedroom for a couple of days, closed off? It was like...this was the only way he could be totally hers and she didn't have to share him.

Last edited:
I would characterize him as a bad husband and maybe awful. He was in what... at least two scandals because of his straying? And flaunted his last mistress in his wife's face? Yes, she might have accepted it...and they were not a normal couple for so many years, and it could have been the times...but Yes, I think that is an awful husband.

Yes, he always defended her but was it because of affection or guilt?
Tradition and habit I might guess.

But as terrible as it sounds, many royals (if not most) back then cheated on their wives. I don't think Edward VII was worse than many others.

Coronation robes

What colour was Queen Alexandra of England's coronation robe? Was it Crimson velvet or Blue?

Description

Plate, Queen Alexandra in colour with gold crown, earthenware, made by Royal Doulton, Burslem, England, 1902

Plate, produced for the coronation of Edward VII, and his wife, Queen Alexandra, gold rim, portrait of the Queen in colour in the centre, with stylised monogram beneath.

There is a registration number; a unique identifier to get the true colour
Registration number A2778-662

the details will only be handed out to certain people - good luck with it

What I find distasteful about Edward VII is that, in addition to having mistresses, he visited brothels. IMO he was exposing his wife not only to embarrassment, but also to potential STDs.

But as terrible as it sounds, many royals (if not most) back then cheated on their wives. I don't think Edward VII was worse than many others.

What I find distasteful about Edward VII is that, in addition to having mistresses, he visited brothels. IMO he was exposing his wife not only to embarrassment, but also to potential STDs.
It's good to be King. . . .:whistling:

Was he always in love with his wife or did he just love her in a caring way?Not in a way a husband should love his wife.

Was he always in love with his wife or did he just love her in a caring way?Not in a way a husband should love his wife.

I think their love changed throughout the years - from initial passion to a friendship and caring but still a strong love.

That Edward strayed can be put down to a number of factors but he did love Alexandra - and she loved him as well.

They did have a fairly typical relationship of their class for the times as well - after the children were born the husband sought passion outside the marriage bed and the fact that Alexandra was deaf and not able to risk another pregnancy after their son died simply added to the reasons for going elsewhere but he also loved and respected her a great deal.

How a husband should love a wife can vary between men and women and different people may have different ideas on that.

If you click my Windsor Brides website in my signature, I have some pictures of Alix as a bride and the story of her coming to England and the marriage.

Anyone know any good bio's about them?Like books,movie or TV?

IloveCP said:

There was the Georgina Battiscombe bio on Queen Alexandra from the 1960s, I do not know the author name but a book called "The Royal Victorians" about Edward and his family and retainers. The website Alibris has amazing numbers of hard to find books. Another book talking about a lot of royals is "George, Nicholas, and Wilhelm: Three Royal Cousins and the Road to World War I" by Miranda Carter published quite recently. Hope this can help you in your search!

There are several books out there on Edward VII, by Magnus and Hibbert, among others but sadly I have not read any of them so I cannot give you a review. I did read the Duff biography of Queen Alexandra which was entertaining. As pointed out by another poster, there is the Battiscombe biography of Alexandra as well.

If you view the Wikipedia pages on Edward and Alexandra, you will find several references to books on the pair. Perhaps this might help you in your search.

Edward Vll and Catholicism

I have always had a fascination with Edward VII and have read just about everything ever written about him and I have never heard this.

He was raised, confirmed and married as an Anglican, he took his coronation oath as an Anglican etc. I have never read anything that ever suggested that he had an inclination towards RC.

There are references to his visit to the Shrine of our Lady at Lourdes - not likely if he had no inclination towards Catholicism
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...s-her-class-and-kisses-goodbye-to-500000.html

See the end of the article

Thank you for all the book suggestions but they are very hard to find.I usually buy my books at Barnes and Noble.Where did you get your books?

IloveCP said:
Thank you for all the book suggestions but they are very hard to find.I usually buy my books at Barnes and Noble.Where did you get your books?

I use www.alibris.com for hard to find/bargain books. Also check your local library under biography or in nonfiction at 941.08 or thereabouts; hope that helps you a little

There are references to his visit to the Shrine of our Lady at Lourdes - not likely if he had no inclination towards Catholicism
Jerry Hall shows her class and kisses goodbye to £500,000 - Telegraph

See the end of the article

But don't Anglicans show some devotion to the Virgin Mary as well? I am not so sure that a visit to Marian shrines would be proof positive that Edward VII was leaning towards Roman Catholicism. It would take more than a visit to a shrine to convince me. After all, aren't these shrines tourist spots for Catholics and non-Catholics, as well as just being holy places where one can contemplate and pray?

Found a YouTube documentary called "Edward- Prince of Pleasure" talking about his personal life, his womanizing and sexual escapades with all his known mistresses as well as shedding light on an affair of sorts that he had with Daisy, Countess of Warwick. Still not sure how to upload videos, sorry.

But don't Anglicans show some devotion to the Virgin Mary as well? I am not so sure that a visit to Marian shrines would be proof positive that Edward VII was leaning towards Roman Catholicism. It would take more than a visit to a shrine to convince me. After all, aren't these shrines tourist spots for Catholics and non-Catholics, as well as just being holy places where one can contemplate and pray?

Anglicans come in all shapes and sizes and some are more closely aligned with Roman Catholic practices etc.

Going to a religious shrine isn't an example of someone with leanings towards a particular religion in my opinion. I have been to Lourdes and have no inclination towards Catholicism and I took part in the ceremony at night - an experience with religious meaning but no Roman Catholic meanings but simple Christian ones (and it was also on the night of the first anniversary of 9/11 and there were prayers said each time we stopped for the various victims, including for the terrorists and the families of these men).

Edward was also concerned about some of the negative aspects of the Coronation Oath he had to take with regard to Roman Catholics and ensured that it was changed for his son slightly but that doesn't convince me that he was a closet Roman Catholic but more that he was aware of the insulting wording with regard to many of his subjects - like Charles and his stated desire to be Defender of Faith rather than 'Defender of the Faith' - meaning that both men consider their subjects and are aware that they don't all come with the same faith but that doesn't mean that they weren't/aren't committed to the Anglican Church.

Found a YouTube documentary called "Edward- Prince of Pleasure" talking about his personal life, his womanizing and sexual escapades with all his known mistresses as well as shedding light on an affair of sorts that he had with Daisy, Countess of Warwick. Still not sure how to upload videos, sorry.
To upload from YouTube just copy and paste the page's url.

Does anyone know why their daughter Victoria never married?

IloveCP said:
Does anyone know why their daughter Victoria never married?

Queen Alexandra was a very possessive mother. Princess Victoria was the one child who never got away from her, and remained her companion till Alexandra's death in 1925. Because Alexandra was so deaf and her husband filandered so much she turned to her children for comfort. She would have liked if none of them married and even when they did (as it was with her surviving son George V) she never treated them as married adults, but always as children.

"The Prince of Pleasure" is very interesting.Sad to hear that his marriage was arranged.

Alexandra put up with way too much bs from her husband!

I am reading a Fact Book on First Ladies and,I read a funny story on how Harriet Lane beat Edward(then the Prince of Wales)at bowling,when he was visting the White House.Newspapers even claimed that a romance was between them.

Back
Top Bottom