The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-06-2018, 10:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Well, I think it was him (Charles) who said it during an interview around her 100th birthday. - It was something about she being a very positive person who pretended that problems didn't exist.
It was also mentioned around her 90th birthday that her grandchildren said that she was not a type of person you could discuss problems with.
Most of these BBC clips (on YouTube) were deleted around 2010, but I have also read about the claim that ''one couldn't go to her with problems'' in a pretty serious article on the internet, think it was in the Telegraph around the time of the Diamond Jubilee in 2012.
The old Telegraph website with the jubilee link is deleted, but you can always go through their archive, although it will take a lot of time to go through the hundreds of Jubilee related articles.

But I found this video from her 85th Birthday in 1985 (which I also thought was deleted), where Royal biographer Christopher Warwick talks a bit about it - watch from 4:18:

Warwick is known as a pretty serious royal commentator, and is without any doubt one of my favourites. - He is also a big fan of the Queen, and that doesn't hurt of course, especially since I'm a BIG fan of hers.

Read about him here: Christopher Warwick
Thank you. I will watch that.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother visited Castle Coole in 1988.

There was a State Visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to France in 1938. This had nearly had to be cancelled. Elizabeth's mother, Cecilia, Countess of Strathmore died on June 23rd. Why was there no Court mourning?

Old 12-11-2018, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
There was a State Visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to France in 1938. This had nearly had to be cancelled. Elizabeth's mother, Cecilia, Countess of Strathmore died on June 23rd. Why was there no Court mourning?
There was a mourning period, but they decided to go ahead with the State Visit, after a three week delay anyway because of the importance of Anglo-French relations in the tumultuous prewar times. Because they felt that a wardrobe completely in black for the queen would look bad a new one was hastily made all in white instead.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...II-France.html

How Queen Mother put Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson in Exile: Senior royal called American divorcee a 'naughty lady' as she ensured the Royal Family shunned their wedding

The Queen Mum: The Reluctant Queen, airs on Channel 5 on Saturday at 9pm.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:50 PM
Courtier

I don’t think the situation with Wallis and Meghan are the same. I don’t think the comparisons are remotely fair. Meghan was not a married woman carrying on an affair with Harry. Her marriage was long over before they ever met.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth attended the Maundy Service in 1946.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:31 PM
Serene Highness

Today in Royal History is the 119th birthday of Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother born Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Funeral:
Old 11-08-2019, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

During the Second World War, Queen Elizabeth refused to flee England to seek safety for herself and her children. She declared, "I could not possibly leave the King, and the King will never go."
Old 08-04-2020, 08:28 AM
Aristocracy

A new documentary again claims the Queen Mother resented the Queen in the first few years of her reign for taking away her status.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ce-Philip.html
Old 08-04-2020, 08:30 AM
Majesty

How did hte queen take away her status?
Old 08-04-2020, 08:37 AM
Majesty

Presumably by coming to the throne, the King having inconveniently died so the QM couldn't be Consort anymore!
Old 08-04-2020, 10:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
A new documentary again claims the Queen Mother resented the Queen in the first few years of her reign for taking away her status.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ce-Philip.html
Not sure that she actually resented the Queen, but it's said she did resent losing her status when her husband died and she was relegated to being the Queen Mother. She had been Queen Consort for about 15 years, so understandable in some ways perhaps.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
Not sure that she actually resented the Queen, but it's said she did resent losing her status when her husband died and she was relegated to being the Queen Mother. She had been Queen Consort for about 15 years, so understandable in some ways perhaps.
I think the evidence is that she was pretty devastated by the loss of the King, at such a young age.. and in fact the queen seems to have bent to her wishes a lot, so I dont think she had much to complain about in that sense.. Its believed that the queen stuck with a lot of conservative ideas about things, because she didn't want to upset Mummy...
Old 08-04-2020, 01:34 PM
Administrator

I personally doubt the Queen Mother resented her daughter at all when she became queen - she knew all her married life that is what would happen one day. Furthermore, it wasn't QEII who took away her status it was the constitutional process associated with there being a constitutional monarchy.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:50 PM
Nobility

I don't think that the Queen Mum was good for the monarchy: she gambled and it was really difficult to get her to leave the palaces after the king died.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I personally doubt the Queen Mother resented her daughter at all when she became queen - she knew all her married life that is what would happen one day. Furthermore, it wasn't QEII who took away her status it was the constitutional process associated with there being a constitutional monarchy.
Of course she didn't resent her daughter.. She was desperately upset by her husband's death.. and it took her some time to take up an active role again...
Old 10-19-2020, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-t7w_YiFvA...22510918_o.jpg
Old 10-20-2020, 03:15 AM
Heir Apparent

President and Mamie Eisenhower with Queen Elizabeth at the White House in 1954
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-pre...-87527339.html
Old 10-21-2020, 06:23 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Of course she didn't resent her daughter.. She was desperately upset by her husband's death.. and it took her some time to take up an active role again...
I don't think anyone has suggested that the Queen Mother wasn't desperately upset about her husband's death - she simply did not want to fade into the background or change her lifestyle, her residences etc as previous widows of monarchs had done and she did in fact act fairly quickly to make sure these things didn't happen. Elizabeth II had to be OK with that because, as has been noted previously, she was always at pains "never to do anything that might upset Mummy".

Tags
queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth the queen mother, queen mother